The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 January 2021, 02:16 AM   #1
Harper65
"TRF" Member

Clasp Code Question

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 16710 from one of the more reputable online vintage watch dealers (which is prefer to keep nameless at this point) and I was hoping some of you might be able to help me sort something out:

While the 78360 bracelet and 501 B end links that came with this piece look to be authentic, I cannot tell if the clasp itself is legit; It is stamped “V1X1.” And while “V” clasps would indicate a 1996 production date, I have never seen a “Letter/Number Letter/Number” code, and I have some doubts about its authenticity. After contacting the Seller, which again, is mostly highly regarded on this platform, they have insisted that the nothing about the clasp suggests it’s either a fake or aftermarket and to be confident that what I have is 100% authentic. However, after some extensive research online, I am not fully convinced. Not only has this particular Seller missed things in the past in my own past experiences with them, but I think that it’s fair to assume that sometimes Sellers just flat out make honest mistakes, especially when it comes to something less important like a clasp code. That said, if anyone with extensive knowledge could comment on what they see, it would be greatly appreciated:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8750CE41-7203-4685-8762-ABC6DE03A353.jpeg (132.4 KB, 301 views)
Harper65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 08:38 AM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The bracelet clasp looks genuine but I've never seen one marked with a 4-digit date code before.

Below is a genuine "U" coded clasp for comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_4034.small.jpg (98.2 KB, 293 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 02:46 AM   #3
Harper65
"TRF" Member

Springer, thank you for both the pic for comparison and your thoughts. I want to trust that it is legit, and like you mentioned, all seems ok, but that date code is what’s causing any doubt whatsoever on my end. At any rate, your perspective and pic definitely helps allay my concern of it not being genuine. Thanks for weighing in! I really appreciate it.
Old 19 January 2021, 03:28 AM   #4
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
I did some research and find some other example of double marking in two different type of clasp.
Unfortunately there is not a clear answer, the majority is for a non genuine, even though the actual marking seams ok

fullsizeoutput_1037.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1039.jpeg
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 05:55 AM   #5
Harper65
"TRF" Member

Thanks for looking into it further, but it seems that I just may never know for sure unless maybe RSC took a look at it at a future service. I, like you, see plenty of evidence to suggest it’s genuine, but to your point, the double-letter/number code is what throws me off. Anyway, while not foolproof, considering it came from a highly-trusted Seller that has an overall great reputation (coupled with the fact that their “sold” archives show they have sold at least two other Rolexes with that clasp code), and based upon the input here in the forums, I’m inclined to conclude that it’s most likely a genuine clasp, but with a very uncommon/obscure clasp code. Oh well...I’ll keep telling myself that at least :). Thanks
Old 19 January 2021, 06:13 AM   #6
Harper65
"TRF" Member

Also, in totality with everything else, I just thought of something else that nudges me into the camp of it being a genuine clasp. If it isn’t genuine, being that all signs outside of the clasp code itself suggest authenticity, why on earth wouldn’t the producer of this clasp mark it with a regular “letter/number” code so that not to trigger a red flag? Not that anything is a given, of course, but to go to the trouble of ensuring every other last detail was perfect, why neglect such an obvious thing that would be the first thing someone would look at, right?
Old 19 January 2021, 06:24 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper65 View Post
Also, in totality with everything else, I just thought of something else that nudges me into the camp of it being a genuine clasp. If it isn’t genuine, being that all signs outside of the clasp code itself suggest authenticity, why on earth wouldn’t the producer of this clasp mark it with a regular “letter/number” code so that not to trigger a red flag? Not that anything is a given, of course, but to go to the trouble of ensuring every other last detail was perfect, why neglect such an obvious thing that would be the first thing someone would look at, right?
They don't put the codes on for you, they put them on for quality and inventory controls in-house.

If they had stamped it in '96, then put it back in the bins, only to re-inventory or check it in a later year, or to re-check a run where an issue was found, they would stamp it again.

There is no "red-flag", nor would Rolex expect a buyer to even know, look at, or care about their in-house codes.
Old 19 January 2021, 06:36 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Thanks for looking into it further, but it seems that I just may never know for sure unless maybe RSC took a look at it at a future service. I, like you, see plenty of evidence to suggest it’s genuine, but to your point, the double-letter/number code is what throws me off. Anyway, while not foolproof, considering it came from a highly-trusted Seller that has an overall great reputation (coupled with the fact that their “sold” archives show they have sold at least two other Rolexes with that clasp code), and based upon the input here in the forums, I’m inclined to conclude that it’s most likely a genuine clasp, but with a very uncommon/obscure clasp code. Oh well...I’ll keep telling myself that at least :). Thanks
So, if your reputable seller has a great reputation, which I don't doubt, ask him what the code means. He sold it as genuine so I would suspect that he knows something about those markings.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 10:24 PM   #9
Harper65
"TRF" Member

I actually did ask them explicitly about the date code, but instead of getting a specific answer, their watchmaker just maintained that there was nothing about the clasp that was indicative of it not being genuine. At that point, it became evident that I could either live with what I got, or send it back, so since I was still very pleased with the watch I received as a whole sans the clasp, I decided it was something I could live with, or remedy myself down the road. But to be clear, I wasn’t very pleased with how they addressed my questions/concerns, to the point where I felt like I was being a bother. Having taken the time to write down specific questions, take pics, etc, and by the way, spending a good chunk of change with this dealer, the fact that I received less than exceptional customer service is a bit confounding. That being said, again, I wasn’t about to ship the watch back, but I will certainly never do business with them again because of this.
Old 20 January 2021, 09:27 AM   #10
Filipăo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
@Harper65 I wouldn't like to buy from him too, whoever he is - if you get my "eye winking"
Filipăo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 06:40 PM   #11
suligeo
2024 Pledge Member

Never saw 4digit clasp code before

https://www.instagram.com/vintage_georgex/
suligeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 02:53 AM   #12
unamsanctam
"TRF" Member

I re-open the discussion, I own a 1996 Explorer II 15670, bought from a reputable dealer in my city, sold as a sole owner. Never polished watch, with guarantee box and purchase receipt from the time. I would say a watch that should be 100% compliant. My example has 78360 strap, 501B end caps and V1 X1 branded clasp. I also searched the internet for a while, and there are several sites that sell vintage that have this same marking and that declare it as original. Is it possible that no one knows anything about it?

Thank you all

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 16710 from one of the more reputable online vintage watch dealers (which is prefer to keep nameless at this point) and I was hoping some of you might be able to help me sort something out:

While the 78360 bracelet and 501 B end links that came with this piece look to be authentic, I cannot tell if the clasp itself is legit; It is stamped “V1X1.” And while “V” clasps would indicate a 1996 production date, I have never seen a “Letter/Number Letter/Number” code, and I have some doubts about its authenticity. After contacting the Seller, which again, is mostly highly regarded on this platform, they have insisted that the nothing about the clasp suggests it’s either a fake or aftermarket and to be confident that what I have is 100% authentic. However, after some extensive research online, I am not fully convinced. Not only has this particular Seller missed things in the past in my own past experiences with them, but I think that it’s fair to assume that sometimes Sellers just flat out make honest mistakes, especially when it comes to something less important like a clasp code. That said, if anyone with extensive knowledge could comment on what they see, it would be greatly appreciated:
unamsanctam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 04:06 AM   #13
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unamsanctam View Post
I re-open the discussion, I own a 1996 Explorer II 15670, bought from a reputable dealer in my city, sold as a sole owner. Never polished watch, with guarantee box and purchase receipt from the time. I would say a watch that should be 100% compliant. My example has 78360 strap, 501B end caps and V1 X1 branded clasp. I also searched the internet for a while, and there are several sites that sell vintage that have this same marking and that declare it as original. Is it possible that no one knows anything about it?

Thank you all
Can you post a picture?
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 08:31 PM   #14
Richardlhy94
"TRF" Member

I would like to contribute to this thread as well given I was also looking for an answer. I just bought a 14060 sub with V1X1 clasp. Based on the dealer, while V represents 1996 and X represents 1999, the numerals here would represent quarters instead of Jan. So V1 = 1996 Q1 (Spring) and X1 = 1999 Q1 (Spring). This means this clasp was made to be installed on watches in this period between 1996 spring to 1999 spring. Up for debates in this thread but thought I share what I had learnt so far.... Thoughts?
Richardlhy94 is offline   Reply With Quote