The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 8 December 2009, 05:21 AM   #1
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
avenue-jewelry.com: looks suspicious

Saw a too-good-to-be-true deal on their website ($2000 below the lowest price online) via a google search, and after a bit of poking it became apparant that they're at a minimum suspect:

1) no terms of use page on site (clicking the link for this and next two returns a blank page reading "put here your terms of use" or "refund policies", etc., clearly using some sort of prepackaged webpage software being used here);

2) no refund policies on site;

3) no shipping/return policies on site;

4) domain avenue-jewelry.com is listed with an address which is, according to google maps, not a jewelry store but a construction company (Wayne Nail Construction Inc);

5) the "contact us" page has no phone number/address, has only a form to fill out with your email address and question;

6) the prices, as mentioned, are ridiculously low, well down into too-good-to-be-true territory.

7) they don't accept credit cards, wire only, but very conveniently they only inform you of this after you've entered the credit card number. To check this, you've got to set up a fake account (which I did, using fake info, fake birthdate--yes, they force you to register and in that form all of this is required info--and fake email) and *attempt* to pay with credit card; I did this with a blatantly false card number, figuring that they weren't gonna have facilities in place to check them, and lo and behold, instead of a "bad card" message, I get this banner message, in red:
Quote:
We are sorry but we don`t accept Credit Card Payment for the moment. We had fraud problems in credit cards processing and we have lost more than US $25,000.00 in shipping items ordered with stolen credit cards. After delivery we had to return the funds to their honest possessors. That`s why we no longer accept credit cards for orders. In order to avoid further losses and unpaid debts we have decided to receive deposits through Western Union Money Transfer Service (Money in Minutes). We are sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding in this matter. Note:***NO CREDIT CARD INFORMATION WILL BE SAVED.
O-kaaay, yeah, right....I'm sure that they didn't save my phony card info, and won't try to use it...if they do, the joke's on them!! Give them an "A" for creativity, getting your personal info w/birth date, credit card number, *and* wire transfer.

Buyer beware...
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote