The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12 March 2020, 06:18 AM   #1591
RNHC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I think they are concerned that they need to stock up incase of in home quarantine.
What home quarantine? If you mean self-isolation, why do you think people are going to self-isolate? Because they don't want to catch coronavirus? Why? Because they think they are going to die from catching coronavirus. They are not self-isolating because they want to sit home on their throne all day with their abundant amount of toilet paper.
Old 12 March 2020, 06:21 AM   #1592
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
What home quarantine? If you mean self-isolation, why do you think people are going to self-isolate? Because they don't want to catch coronavirus? Why? Because they think they are going to die from catching coronavirus. They are not self-isolating because they want to sit home on their throne all day with their abundant amount of toilet paper.
I said incase of (preparedness). And by the way, people have died from catching the virus.
Old 12 March 2020, 06:22 AM   #1593
RNHC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
People are hoarding toilet paper for fear of being quarantined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
Or got the crap scared out of them over the virus.....
How much can one defecate during 14-day quarantine? And why'd one be quarantined if s/he did not travel or were exposed to infected person?
Old 12 March 2020, 06:24 AM   #1594
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
LabCorp has the multi target PCR test available so if a doc wants someone tested they can do it . Quest is also working on it .

LabCorp uses the same criteria for accepting samples for testing that Joey mentioned. https://www.labcorp.com/information-...-2019-covid-19

Quest does too. https://www.questdiagnostics.com/home/Covid-19/

It’s the CDC protocol here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-criteria.html

So having private testing does increase the capacity, but doesn’t widen the PUI coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 12 March 2020, 06:30 AM   #1595
RNHC
Banned

Quote:
And by the way, people have died from catching the virus.
People have died from a tooth decay. More people have died this winter in the US from regular flu than all the coronavirus deaths combined from around the world. I wouldn't be surprised if more people have died from being hit by lightning this year than from coronavirus thus far.
Old 12 March 2020, 06:39 AM   #1596
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
https://www.axios.com/congressional-...b65c22c53.html

Nothing to see here move along
Old 12 March 2020, 06:41 AM   #1597
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
This doesn't seem so voluntary does it?

https://www.fox19.com/2020/03/06/pol...navirus-death/
Old 12 March 2020, 06:45 AM   #1598
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
People have died from a tooth decay. More people have died this winter in the US from regular flu than all the coronavirus deaths combined from around the world. I wouldn't be surprised if more people have died from being hit by lightning this year than from coronavirus thus far.
That's all irrelevant. It says nothing about the health complications from having a concurrent SARS-COV-2 infection with another illness such as the flu and how it can greatly increase the likelihood of secondary infections such as bacterial pneumonia as well. Common cold (another coronavirus btw and no vaccine) isn't too dangerous either until you mix it with a bacterial infection. Now lucky us we have common cold, influenza and SARS season instead of just cold and flu season. H1N1 aka the Spanish Flu was still pretty deadly in 2009 after 90 years of time to build immunity. I don't think SARS1 or MERS gives any cross immunity to SARS-COV-2 and even if so the preceding weren't exactly too common for many to have gained.
Old 12 March 2020, 06:53 AM   #1599
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I’d suggest some fat reserves.

If you get a bad case of COVID-19, you’ll want them to help you through.

Sweet! I knew my extra fat would come in handy! Stay safe everyone.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 12 March 2020, 07:03 AM   #1600
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
I can’t believe people are still not understanding the severity of this!

There must be a deep sandpit somewhere full of people with their heads in it.

Yes, more people die of many other things yearly but this is only just hitting. Barely even got started in the US, UK etc I’m certainly not scaremongering but being realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 March 2020, 07:04 AM   #1601
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LabCorp uses the same criteria for accepting samples for testing that Joey mentioned. https://www.labcorp.com/information-...-2019-covid-19

Quest does too. https://www.questdiagnostics.com/home/Covid-19/

It’s the CDC protocol here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-criteria.html

So having private testing does increase the capacity, but doesn’t widen the PUI coverage.

Correct
Old 12 March 2020, 07:15 AM   #1602
lbhphx23
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK
NCAA Tourney

No fans. Wow. Holy economic impact Batman.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...nament-go-fans
Old 12 March 2020, 07:18 AM   #1603
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
No offense but I have never understood the lightning analogy when used to compare with a risk that you may be able to reduce or mitigate.

Yes, National Geographic estimates about 2k people die from from lightning per year. So your statistical risk is pretty low of dying from a lightning strike.

But even though the risk is low, most people still take the risk seriously and don't stand on a knoll with an umbrella during a thunder storm.

And why many people in the US are trying to keep making a living but heed the CDC's advice as much as possible.
Old 12 March 2020, 07:21 AM   #1604
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbhphx23 View Post
No fans. Wow. Holy economic impact Batman.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...nament-go-fans
Either suffer economically or break the healthcare system.

Tough choices...but healthcare will override economic interests.
Old 12 March 2020, 07:23 AM   #1605
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Either suffer economically or break the healthcare system.

Tough choices...but healthcare will override economic interests.
And it would have been strange to have large crowds gather at schools, when many are telling students not to come back from spring break.
Old 12 March 2020, 07:37 AM   #1606
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's a stretch... but just because you're not seemingly concerned dosen't mean others are not. Each to their own.
Old 12 March 2020, 07:42 AM   #1607
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
I can’t believe people are still not understanding the severity of this!

There must be a deep sandpit somewhere full of people with their heads in it.

Yes, more people die of many other things yearly but this is only just hitting. Barely even got started in the US, UK etc I’m certainly not scaremongering but being realistic.
I agree with this.

One has to say as well, this isn't in place of Flu, it's not either or, it's both.

There are young people who will not even know they have got/had it but are so blasé about it, they wont even know that the 2 or 3 old or infirm people who they came in contact with, died a horrible death.

DAVE

Old 12 March 2020, 07:44 AM   #1608
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
That's a stretch... but just because you're not seemingly concerned doen't mean other are not as well. Each to their own.
The key words "so far" they had a Baylor college of med doctor on the mid day news.....talking about Houston Rodeo closing and the virus has mutated and he said younger people are getting it....the one today was a 31 year old from the Woodlands that worked in the oil field. So it might not be a 60 year old and above killer like they thought last week.
Old 12 March 2020, 07:47 AM   #1609
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Just been informed that all elective surgery in the local hospital trust has been cancelled until further notice. This is going to be a massive ball ache for punters - especially the ones with hydrocele - and the health service.
Old 12 March 2020, 07:49 AM   #1610
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
The key words "so far" they had a Baylor college of med doctor on the mid day news.....talking about Houston Rodeo closing and the virus has mutated and he said younger people are getting it....the one today was a 31 year old from the Woodlands that worked in the oil field. So it might not be a 60 year old and above killer like they thought last week.
Anyone can get it, it spreads like crazy... it's how the immune system tackles it, and yes, I am reading that it's affecting negatively younger people as well, one post a few pages back, a man age 30-39 in critical condition with no previous medical complications. I firmly believe this is just the beginning.
Old 12 March 2020, 07:57 AM   #1611
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

This is the reason for the extreme actions we must take to fight this thing.

If people think that some governments/scientists/individuals are overreacting, I sincerely hope they never find out how wrong they are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11SCI-VIRUS-TRACKER1-jumbo.jpg (47.7 KB, 192 views)

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 12 March 2020, 08:16 AM   #1612
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

The CDC graph says it all. Listened to interviews with Northern Italy doctors while driving today. Their biggest concern was the fact that their healthcare system was over stretched. So, they have to prioritize, meaning some get the treatment they need and some do not.

The doctors were not fear mongering. They were explaining their situation.

I hope that the US can avoid that scenerio.

Last edited by mountainjogger; 12 March 2020 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 12 March 2020, 08:33 AM   #1613
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
From the perspective of the US, it really doesn't matter what one thinks of the causation or level of reaction. That reaction is happening, and it will not stop for some time to come as government at all levels defends the healthcare system from becoming inundated.

I fully expect some kind of mandatory quarantine in (at least some) major cities over the next 6 weeks as the situation plays out. Where, how severe, how long...no idea.

Edit: Just read that a complete travel ban from US to Europe is being discussed by Homeland Security.
Old 12 March 2020, 08:40 AM   #1614
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
This is the reason for the extreme actions we must take to fight this thing.

If people think that some governments/scientists/individuals are overreacting, I sincerely hope they never find out how wrong they are.

Interesting graph and scary. What’s the vibe in Denver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 March 2020, 08:47 AM   #1615
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Just been informed that all elective surgery in the local hospital trust has been cancelled until further notice.

That is a measure many doctors in US should adopt. They are the ones who eventually decide to operate. If the condition could be delayed a few months, without harm to the patient, it makes sense.

There are unintended consequences, of course.

It would reduce revenue disproportionately for dermatologists specializing in cosmetic surgery. That’s income they won’t make back.

It will likely increase insurance company profits in the short run for covered surgeries that don’t take place this year.

But it is a proactive defensive move to make the system less vulnerable to unpredictable spikes in demand for services that are critical.

Old 12 March 2020, 08:54 AM   #1616
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is a measure many doctors in US should adopt. They are the ones who eventually decide to operate. If the condition could be delayed a few months, without harm to the patient, it makes sense.

There are unintended consequences, of course.

It would reduce revenue disproportionately for dermatologists specializing in cosmetic surgery. That’s income they won’t make back.

It will likely increase insurance company profits in the short run for covered surgeries that don’t take place this year.

But it is a proactive defensive move to make the system less vulnerable to unpredictable spikes in demand for services that are critical.

That’s the problem, harm is a relative term. Elective surgery might by definition not be life saving, but it is often life altering. Things like hip replacements for people in chronic pain; cholecystectomies for debilitating biliary colic; discectomies for sciatica etc etc.

Obviously the revenue and insurance issues don’t apply to the NHS and on balance I agree with the measure being taken on the basis of the anticipated demand about to be unleashed on hospital resources. Nevertheless assuming hypothetically the virus never hit at all, postponing all elective surgery nationwide for just a month would cause huge morbidity and seriously stretch the health service with the backlog created. Not to mention pissing a lot of people off.
Old 12 March 2020, 08:59 AM   #1617
77T

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

The one thing about this chart is it presumes “all things being equal”. And they seldom are...

The flat line assumes officials don’t do anything to change the slope of the capacity.

Here is what usually happens.

The yellow line is the capacity increase like China created with their rapid response facility.

I’m not challenging the fact that the blue curve is what we should do - just saying any line in the sand can be moved with effort.

Old 12 March 2020, 09:07 AM   #1618
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
That’s what 1-2 per thousand equals; .1-.2%, right?

Paul is correct on the seasonal flu. But I think this virus is estimated at more like 20 to 30 deaths per thousand, or 2-3%
Old 12 March 2020, 09:07 AM   #1619
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
The one thing about this chart is it presumes “all things being equal”. And they seldom are...

The flat line assumes officials don’t do anything to change the slope of the capacity.

Here is what usually happens.

The yellow line is the capacity increase like China created with their rapid response facility.

I’m not challenging the fact that the blue curve is what we should do - just saying any line in the sand can be moved with effort.

China built two new corona virus hospitals in 12 days. Western countries cannot possibly achieve anything close to that.
Old 12 March 2020, 09:08 AM   #1620
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Flipping through the various news channels after work and there are Doctors giving conflicting and contradictory information and statements. And no I am not talking about people like Dr Drew or Dr Oz.

This whole thing is becoming who can fear monger and scare the most people. If you don’t think certain people are taking advantage of this for nefarious reasons you are mistaken.
Closed Thread