The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 14 March 2020, 01:33 AM   #1831
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post
I agree it you on the threat level compared to the flu. It seems to be more dangerous. I was not calling into question the 2-5% mortality rate because that is highly inflated over reality and people seeing numbers like that is likely leading to a lot of this panic.
In Hong Kong, medical officials are finding that 20-30 percent of those who have recovered from the virus have detectable lung damage. It's too soon to know for sure, but the effects of the virus make have long term heath implications.
Old 14 March 2020, 01:45 AM   #1832
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post
It kills FAR less than 2-5%. That number fails to account for the many thousands on undetected cases out there. People who get it and get over it no problem and they just think they had a cold.
Yup, I elaborated on that in the latter paragraph.
Old 14 March 2020, 01:45 AM   #1833
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
In Hong Kong, medical officials are finding that 20-30 percent of those who have recovered from the virus have detectable lung damage. It's too soon to know for sure, but the effects of the virus make have long term heath implications.
That's terrible.
Old 14 March 2020, 01:46 AM   #1834
chappuy1750
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: JLC
Priorities.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coro...-20200313.html
Old 14 March 2020, 01:52 AM   #1835
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappuy1750 View Post
Makes sense.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 14 March 2020, 01:57 AM   #1836
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
I'm buying 6 cases of Miller Lite tonight. That should last a good 6 weeks.
Old 14 March 2020, 01:59 AM   #1837
77T

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:

Those would be the ones who contracted lower respiratory disease, right?

Such as pneumonia.

That stat lines up with the converse: 70-80% who recover have no long-term health issue...sort of what Fauci has been saying.

The mortality rates need parsing to a level I have only seen once. In other words, parsed by prior underlying immunodeficiency, prior health issue (like diabetes, COPD, etc), and age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 14 March 2020, 02:01 AM   #1838
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by nda View Post
I did ask this question a while back - the testing figure seems woefully small. Is it a cost thing?

Testing is vital to know the extent of infection, how it is spreading and how best to manage resources. Otherwise the authorities are shooting in the dark.

Complacency and conspiracy theorists are not the way forward.
knowing the exact figure of those infected seems fairly irrelevant as little can be done even if we knew it – apart from slowing it down (which is nothing to do with testing)
Old 14 March 2020, 02:04 AM   #1839
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:

Yikes. That is something I hadn’t heard. Scary stuff.
Old 14 March 2020, 02:04 AM   #1840
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post

We've decided to cancel the flight to Houston next week for my cousin's wedding. I'm not usually one to concern myself too much with what's trending in the news and can be pretty cavalier when others are worried about certain things, but coronavirus has gotten all too real at this point. As you have said, we've gotta do what's best for our families.

That’s a good call if there are too many unknowns in your situation.

I’m heading to a race we didn’t cancel. But I looked at the entry list and no drivers/crew from coronavirus hotspots - more regional teams. 200 or so.

I’d prolly do as you did - but too many Stewards have had to drop out due to age & health profiles. And we have folks still in Australia and many were headed to Sebring so gotta do the better work for the spirit of the sport and still stay as safe as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 14 March 2020, 02:08 AM   #1841
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Quote:
As of March 9th, the US has tested 26 people per million of population - roughly the same rate as Vietnam. Italy is about 1,000 per million and France 182.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...id-19-testing/
we should be embarrassed
Old 14 March 2020, 02:09 AM   #1842
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
I did ask this question a while back - the testing figure seems woefully small. Is it a cost thing?

Testing is vital to know the extent of infection, how it is spreading and how best to manage resources. Otherwise the authorities are shooting in the dark.

Complacency and conspiracy theorists are not the way forward.

Tell the U.K. government as they aren’t bothering to test unless you are hospitalised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 March 2020, 02:11 AM   #1843
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Perhaps it works as hand wash

Old 14 March 2020, 02:13 AM   #1844
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
knowing the exact figure of those infected seems fairly irrelevant as little can be done even if we knew it – apart from slowing it down (which is nothing to do with testing)

But the Chief Medical Officer has said about 60% of the population need to get it to develop ‘herd immunity’, how he is going to know if figures are irrelevant. He is a walking contradiction.

Old 14 March 2020, 02:15 AM   #1845
Moggo
"TRF" Member

I’m waiting for the ‘What watch to wear with my Hazmat Suit’ threads

J/K

Old 14 March 2020, 02:16 AM   #1846
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
we should be embarrassed
I have been for a while now
Old 14 March 2020, 02:18 AM   #1847
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I agree with you 100 percent.
Old 14 March 2020, 02:19 AM   #1848
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:

That's never good, but the good news here is that fibrosis of the lungs can happen as a result of any infection fo the lungs including pneumonia. So not just pneumonia caused by SARS-COV-2.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20353690
Old 14 March 2020, 02:22 AM   #1849
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
As of today, 13,000 tests for Coronavirus have been done in the US, a country of over 300 million peole. This is an outrage bordering on criminality.

Exactly my thoughts.
Old 14 March 2020, 02:24 AM   #1850
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
we should be embarrassed
I imagine there aren't mass tests, because it would result in even the most mild symptoms demanding potentially unnecessary in-patient care and overwhelming the hospital system. If that happened, there wouldn't be enough capacity for the in-patient care of the most serious cases, let alone normal illnesses and injuries. Not just the US, but really any hospital system in the world because of their "just in time" delivery method. Just like a company with inventory and pushing it to the last second, hospitals don't run extra beds that aren't typically used in order to cut sunk costs. Problem is when pandemics happen there then isn't enough capacity in some cases.
Old 14 March 2020, 02:28 AM   #1851
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Right?
Old 14 March 2020, 02:30 AM   #1852
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I imagine there aren't mass tests, because it would result in even the most mild symptoms demanding potentially unnecessary in-patient care and overwhelming the hospital system. If that happened, there wouldn't be enough capacity for the in-patient care of the most serious cases, let alone normal illnesses and injuries. Not just the US, but really any hospital system in the world because of their "just in time" delivery method. Just like a company with inventory and pushing it to the last second, hospitals don't run extra beds that aren't typically used in order to cut sunk costs. Problem is when pandemics happen there then isn't enough capacity in some cases.

Why hospitalised though if mild? It would be a way of knowing who was infected but wouldn’t necessarily mean hospitalisation. In the U.K. confirmed mild cases can self isolate, but you only seem to get tested if you are someone of importance here.

Old 14 March 2020, 02:57 AM   #1853
Doc Savage

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
Why hospitalised though if mild? It would be a way of knowing who was infected but wouldn’t necessarily mean hospitalisation. In the U.K. confirmed mild cases can self isolate, but you only seem to get tested if you are someone of importance here.

EXACTLY.

The important part is knowing whether you are infected and can infect others. Otherwise, we might move through life as carriers, blissfully unaware as we potentially pass the virus on to people in high-risk categories.

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 14 March 2020, 03:11 AM   #1854
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Spain will be locked down tomorrow. Hospitals are overwhelmed, we've got to stay home to prevent the virus from spreading and cause total collapse.

We'll get through this if we're careful, use our common sense and stay calm. We've got to stop any unnecessary physical contact between each other.

To all people around the world, if we act together we're stronger. We need to take care of our elders who are more vulnerable to this.

Stay home. Things will get back to normal if we make it happen.
Old 14 March 2020, 03:14 AM   #1855
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post

Some of the more mild cases can still include pneumonia. Severe cases require oxygen and/or ventilator. I imagine they want to stagger the flow so that those with the very mildest of symptoms aren't showing up at hospitals demanding admission and taking resources away from the most serious or even the more mild pneumonia cases. Just my thoughts though
Old 14 March 2020, 03:17 AM   #1856
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Spain will be locked down tomorrow. Hospitals are overwhelmed, we've got to stay home to prevent the virus from spreading and cause total collapse.

We'll get through this if we're careful, use our common sense and stay calm. We've got to stop any unnecessary physical contact between each other.

To all people around the world, if we act together we're stronger. We need to take care of our elders who are more vulnerable to this.

Stay home. Things will get back to normal if we make it happen.
Nuestros pensamientos y oraciones están contigo
Old 14 March 2020, 03:22 AM   #1857
Deep18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Re 'Fleetlords' post: This is why epidemics are what they are - because you cannot rely on people to be rational. The one thing you can depend upon is that most people will always do what they (in their infinite wisdom) want to and to hell with everyone else.
Bingo. Even the people who yell the loudest “we have to do something” will ignore the advice if it inconveniences them.
Old 14 March 2020, 04:03 AM   #1858
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
if countries that are supposedly less well off and less equipped to handle a situation like this are providing more tests we have no excuse. That is just my opinion.
Old 14 March 2020, 04:15 AM   #1859
newu5er
"TRF" Member

US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said the House will pass the Families First Coronavirus Response Act today
Old 14 March 2020, 04:23 AM   #1860
77T

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

In testing...

In China, studies reported in the journal Radiology showed they aren’t always definitive.

False negatives comprised 3% of the patient population.

The study authors noted that RT-PCR tests may produce false negatives due to laboratory error, insufficient amount of viral material collected, samples stored or handled improperly, if the patient is tested too early in the course of infection, and improper sampling.

We should still be testing - just not so fixated in that issue.

If the panic over lack of testing will abate, and if people presumptively treat any symptoms as if they were COVID-19, we would have better controls over the spread.

Of course, presuming they follow the hygiene, isolation and social distancing processes.

So lack of testing itself isn’t widening the spread as much as poor common sense imho.

Closed Thread