The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 22 March 2019, 02:43 PM   #31
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’m sorry to hear but glad you shared so others can remember the risks involved. I’ve done two face to faces and both times I was not very comfortable.

I don’t think I’ll do it again to be honest without a copy of the other parties drivers license beforehand. That or meet them right at the police station. I doubt many thieves would be comfortable with that.
Old 22 March 2019, 03:00 PM   #32
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
Really sorry to hear this, but I’m glad you shared this experience. I haven’t ever sold a watch; just traded them. I’ve recently started considering doing private sales to get better prices, but after hearing this, I may just stick to dealers. You did everything right, but the risk is still there.
Old 23 March 2019, 12:47 AM   #33
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Very sorry to hear.
Old 23 March 2019, 02:06 AM   #34
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravato View Post
Really sorry to hear this, but I’m glad you shared this experience. I haven’t ever sold a watch; just traded them. I’ve recently started considering doing private sales to get better prices, but after hearing this, I may just stick to dealers. You did everything right, but the risk is still there.
I know exactly what you mean. I have heard deals are being done at police stations as they provide space to conduct the transactions. OP, you did everything right btw!
Old 23 March 2019, 03:24 AM   #35
azmmza
"TRF" Member

have you checked all the local pawn shops?
Old 24 March 2019, 12:46 AM   #36
yyzpam
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP Rolex PAM
So very sorry to hear. It would seems like you tried to take the necessary precautions. I hope the bastard gets hit by a truck !
Old 28 March 2019, 03:54 AM   #37
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Sorry to hear that! I hope you can get it back or at least catch the guy. This reminds me of my stolen PP 5711 It turned me off watches for a few years!
Old 28 March 2019, 04:34 AM   #38
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soly20 View Post
Sorry to hear that! I hope you can get it back or at least catch the guy. This reminds me of my stolen PP 5711 It turned me off watches for a few years!
I remember you posting that someone had contacted PP for an extract of your watch? Did anything ever come of that?
Old 28 March 2019, 04:51 AM   #39
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
I remember you posting that someone had contacted PP for an extract of your watch? Did anything ever come of that?
Unfortunately no. PP and I, tried calling the police station in Paris where I filed my report, but we couldn't get through (it seems they don't accept Int'l calls). However Patek informed the inquiring person that this is a stolen watch. Still dreaming about it to show up for service at PP and getting it back.
Old 28 March 2019, 05:58 AM   #40
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

ugh that's so annoying. our airbnb got robbed in Paris recently, (while two other people were home), but at least I was out of the house with my watch on my wrist. they did however get my macbook, a friend's ipad, my expensive sunglasses, and a bunch of other stuff. the police were, I guess, "helpful" when they came to the apartment, but going to the police station to file a report was hell.

anyway, seems like it would've been better if PP didn't even tell the person it was stolen, and just let them send the watch in for service!
Old 28 March 2019, 11:27 PM   #41
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
Sounds like a decent chance he'll get caught.
No. Unlikely. And I want everyone to read this carefully.

In America and maybe in other countries as well police resources are limited.

When I was a police officer in a case like this an initial report would be made. Also suspect info would be out out on the air right away to look for the bad guy.

After that it is on to the next caper. And they are non stop. The bad guys know this.

At best an on the ball patrol officer or maybe a swamped detective would pull stills from the video and put out a flier for the roll call box. Meaning others could see it. That might be the extent of the "investigation." There is no CIS hour long TV solve the crime scenario.

The chance of this guy getting caught by an underfunded, understaffed police department are minimal. Minuscule. Budget cuts. Demoralized police force. Its calls stacking on your MDT daily. Cold already by the time you get there. Property crimes are low to mid priority.

Don't do these kinds of transactions. Bad guys prep for these thefts. They know that a ton of resources are not going to be used to find them. Beware. Sorry for the sandwich. But there it is.
Old 29 March 2019, 05:51 AM   #42
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many.
This is wildly absurd and terrible to hear. I hope this gets sorted and your watch is returned ASAP.
Old 29 March 2019, 06:02 AM   #43
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
No. Unlikely. And I want everyone to read this carefully.

In America and maybe in other countries as well police resources are limited.

When I was a police officer in a case like this an initial report would be made. Also suspect info would be out out on the air right away to look for the bad guy.

After that it is on to the next caper. And they are non stop. The bad guys know this.

At best an on the ball patrol officer or maybe a swamped detective would pull stills from the video and put out a flier for the roll call box. Meaning others could see it. That might be the extent of the "investigation." There is no CIS hour long TV solve the crime scenario.

The chance of this guy getting caught by an underfunded, understaffed police department are minimal. Minuscule. Budget cuts. Demoralized police force. Its calls stacking on your MDT daily. Cold already by the time you get there. Property crimes are low to mid priority.

Don't do these kinds of transactions. Bad guys prep for these thefts. They know that a ton of resources are not going to be used to find them. Beware. Sorry for the sandwich. But there it is.
I agree, here in London burglary is now pretty much a free crime, the police who turn up even half-tell you there is no way they will catch the culprit or seriously attempt to. That is your home so not much you can do about it, but on the streets with something like this you have to be fully seized of all the risks and in negating them. Always imagine the worse case scenarios, be a writer and tell the worst horror story to yourself then make your plan.
Old 29 March 2019, 09:54 AM   #44
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Old 29 March 2019, 10:06 AM   #45
nick c
Banned

Wow, you can’t sell watches anymore, it’s so dangerous.
Old 29 March 2019, 10:14 AM   #46
Retired Bob
Banned

their are low life everywhere
Old 29 March 2019, 10:19 AM   #47
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
So you handed the watch to the Jewler and THEY than handed it to the “buyer”...I would be talking to the Jewler...they may/possibly share a little responsibility here.
Old 10 April 2019, 11:36 AM   #48
jykiim
Banned

Well, Same shit has happened to me yesterday, down in SD.
guy was wearing the same outfit, and took off from the lot w/ the same car.

hopefully noone will have to go through what the OP and I've experienced.

:(
Old 10 April 2019, 01:07 PM   #49
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
So you handed the watch to the Jewler and THEY than handed it to the “buyer”...I would be talking to the Jewler...they may/possibly share a little responsibility here.

That’s a very good point.

Maybe it’s covered by the store’s insurance as you never gave permission (it was implied perhaps, but not explicit) for your watch to be handed out by the jeweller to a 3rd party.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 10 April 2019, 03:33 PM   #50
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
You may want to take a look at the thread below. The thief took off in a newer black camaro. There is a pic of the thief to see if it’s the same guy. I hope you get your watch back.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=668348
Old 10 April 2019, 03:42 PM   #51
Playinwittime
"TRF" Member

Watch: out! I'm coming.
Really upsetting. Much more for you guys, of course. Time to catch a break and give this guy some time to cool off for a few years.
Old 10 April 2019, 08:38 PM   #52
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
That’s a very good point.

Maybe it’s covered by the store’s insurance as you never gave permission (it was implied perhaps, but not explicit) for your watch to be handed out by the jeweller to a 3rd party.
My point exactly.
Old 11 April 2019, 01:06 AM   #53
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Maybe we're all just better off taking a little less and selling to a reputable grey dealer. I nearly got scammed online recently but my gut told me something wasn't right and I backed out.
Old 11 April 2019, 01:18 AM   #54
domo69
Banned

Watch: ROO Coke Speedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Maybe we're all just better off taking a little less and selling to a reputable grey dealer
This might be the least amount of stress and best way to sell our watches.
Old 11 April 2019, 01:31 AM   #55
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's ridiculous. You go to the jeweler and USE them as a space for you to make a potential personal sale, and because they happened to be the last one to touch the watch you willingly brought there, it's their fault? People need to be accountable for their own decisions.
Old 11 April 2019, 01:35 AM   #56
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
That's ridiculous. You go to the jeweler and USE them as a space for you to make a potential personal sale, and because they happened to be the last one to touch the watch you willingly brought there, it's their fault? People need to be accountable for their own decisions.
The sales associate was negligent, it’s pretty clear. If the sales associate handed it back to the seller who than handed it to the “buyer” it’s all on the seller.
Old 11 April 2019, 01:59 AM   #57
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The sales associate was negligent, it’s pretty clear. If the sales associate handed it back to the seller who than handed it to the “buyer” it’s all on the seller.
So maybe the salesperson should have gotten involved and vetted the thief. Do the seller's job and ask some basic questions like, "Do you plan on running away with this watch? If so, I'm going to hand it back to the owner and let them hand it to you to run away with instead."
Old 11 April 2019, 02:19 AM   #58
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
So maybe the salesperson should have gotten involved and vetted the thief. Do the seller's job and ask some basic questions like, "Do you plan on running away with this watch? If so, I'm going to hand it back to the owner and let them hand it to you to run away with instead."
I'm not going to argue you with you about this, you have your opinion and that's perfectly fine. I said they "may/possibly" hold some negligence here. The jeweler should have either A)refused to be involved in the transaction at all as a matter of store policy or B)handed the property back to the rightful owner.
Old 11 April 2019, 02:32 AM   #59
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not going to argue you with you about this, you have your opinion and that's perfectly fine. I said they "may/possibly" hold some negligence here. The jeweler should have either A)refused to be involved in the transaction at all as a matter of store policy or B)handed the property back to the rightful owner.
Agree with A - jeweler really has nothing to gain being involved. As for B, I'm sure neither of them were prepared for what was about to happen. Unfortunate situation, regardless of who's to blame.
Old 11 April 2019, 04:01 AM   #60
Burlington
"TRF" Member

For whatever reason the shop got involved - unless it was expressly agreed they should not hand over the watch to a 3rd party.

The other thread on general topics was locked but would be curious to know if it’s the same guy in this case as pictured there too.

― Winston S. Churchill
Closed Thread