The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > For Sale: NON-ROLEX watches

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13 November 2020, 03:51 AM   #1
shinyhappyobjects
2024 Pledge Member

Vintage 1970 Girard-Perregaux Olímpico 9075AF Chronograph

Hi TRF,

I have this vintage 1970 Girard Perregaux Olimpico 9075AF Chronograph for sale.

Asking $10750.

Purchase comes with fast shipping with 3 day inspection period for full refund less shipping costs. Payment made by bank transfer. Buy with confidence. If you want references or more pics let me know. Feel free to contact me through TRF or below for more questions or to purchase.

Thank you TRF!

IG: @shinyhappyobjects
Email: dial@shinyhappyobjects.com

WATCH SPECS
Brand: Girard-Perregaux
Model: Olímpico
Reference: 9075AF
Year: 1970
Material: Stainless steel
Dimensions: 39mm diameter, 14mm thickness w/ crystal
Crystal: Plexiglass
Lume: Yes, tritium
Caliber: Excelsior Park 40 manual wind
Bracelet/Strap: Generic vintage beads of rice bracelet
Lug Width: 19.5mm
Box/Papers: No

ABOUT THIS WATCH
With a rich horological history, approximately 80 watchmaking patents, and several iconic models under it’s belt, Girard-Perregaux is a brand that needs no introduction. One of these iconic models, the Olímpico, was first produced to commemorate the 1968 Olympic games in Mexico City, which were notable for many reasons. They were the first Olympic games to be held in what was considered a developing country, the first to be held in Latin America, and the first in any Spanish speaking country. This commemoration is the reason for the particular Spanish spelling of the Olímpico model name.

Everything after this is where the history of the Olímpico becomes a bit murky, especially with this particular reference. There are several different references and designs within the Olímpico line, but do a quick Google search on the GP Olímpico 9075AF specifically and you’ll find a few sale listings of this watch from reputable dealers and auction houses as released in 1968. However, there is no real consensus from collectors and experts on the actual date of production. Some think it was actually produced for the 1972 Olympic games, and some think maybe it was actually 1976. Some people conclude that it was indeed produced for the 1968 Olympic games and that every known Olímpico model released before it actually originates to the 1950’s on up. Based on my own research and knowledge though, none of these conclusions are satisfying.

What continually leads us to a historical dead end regarding the Olímpico is the misconception that each model was only produced during an Olympic games year. This is apparently not true, as this 9075AF has a serial number on it’s case (recently confirmed by representatives at the Gallet company who produced these cases) to be made in either late 1969 or 1970 and was also listed in GP catalogs beginning in years 1969 and 1970 at a price of 425CHF. It is already confirmed by Girard-Perregaux that references 8846 and 8862 were produced for the 1968 Olympic games in Mexico and throughout the 70’s & 80’s several iterations of the Olímpico were released. It’s definitely possible certain designs were indeed made for specific Olympic years, but with so many different versions of this watch from 1968 to 1996, it’s likely many of these models were produced in between as well. It’s also possible that there were some Olympic years an Olímpico model wasn’t released at all.

None of this has any real bearing on how fantastic and rare this watch is. Only about 620 of the 9075AF were made and to find one in this kind of excellent condition will probably only happen once in my lifetime. With a sharp case, a dial devoid of any real blemishes and a completely clear and crack-free bakelite bezel, this unmolested and barely worn chronograph is the best example of this model I’ve ever seen, both in person and in sale listings. The true cherry on top of this watch though is the Excelsior Park 40 movement, which if you’ve handled a lot of manual-wind chronographs you’ll probably agree that the EP-40 is one of the smoothest.

Like all of my other watches listed for sale I believe pricing is fair, but it is definitely priced for the right buyer who appreciates its rarity and condition and realizes that this is the opportunity to own one of the coolest and unique sports chronographs ever made.

*A quick word of thanks to Blomman Watch Report and the representatives at Gallet for their research help.

Tags
geneve , heuer , movado , omega , universal