The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23 February 2013, 11:49 PM   #631
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Well especially when facts are wrong as BP FF came first!
IMO - every Rolex Sub owners must know this fact!
Old 24 February 2013, 12:12 AM   #632
Wacker23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex sub
Thanks for the lesson, didnt know that. but i was just using bp as an example.
Old 24 February 2013, 12:14 AM   #633
Wacker23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex sub
Quote:
Only problem is the BP FF was made 6 months to a year before the Sub. So.....
Please dont go banning me for that i like it here..
Old 24 February 2013, 12:20 AM   #634
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker23 View Post
Please dont go banning me for that i like it here..

You are forgiven!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 24 February 2013, 02:08 AM   #635
MrLee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub c, smp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker23 View Post
Thanks for the lesson, didnt know that. but i was just using bp as an example.
Bad example on a number of levels because I never mentioned anything about the GS being a 'cheap watch'

My point had always been that the aesthetics are either bad or copied

The bottom line is as has been said here even by GS fans that Rolexes have 'that something' about them that no GS does. Be it looks, heritage whatever, they just have an x-factor, for me the GS range lacks any soul.

Also all these seiko fanboys round here need to remember it was this bloody company that nearly ruined the Swiss watch industry back in the day. If it wasn't for sheer determination most of these fantastic Swiss watch houses would have been gone forever thanks to cheap Japanese quartz watches, so to me they should stick with doing that, but that's just me probably.
Old 24 February 2013, 03:35 AM   #636
J. Alan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLee View Post
No J. Alan we don't all live in Canada my friend I was actually in bed asleep, have answered your question above, any others you have I will be happy the answer just remember the time difference and give me a chance to answer

Actually quite funny the post before yours was my answer!!! Lol
As far as I can see you do not identify your country of origin and I was not sure if you were across the pond or in London, Ontario, Canada. I will now consider the time difference for the delay in your comments.

After reading your posts concerning your dissatisfied GS purchase, would you consider listing it on on the TRF For Sale section so we Seiko lovers can have an opportunity to give it a happy home??

J. Alan
Old 24 February 2013, 05:15 AM   #637
bosjohn

[QUOTE=MrLee;3974809]Bad example on a number of levels because I never mentioned anything about the GS being a 'cheap watch'

The bottom line is as has been said here even by GS fans that Rolexes have 'that something' about them that no GS does. Be it looks, heritage whatever, they just have an x-factor, for me the GS range lacks any soul.

Also all these seiko fanboys round here need to remember it was this bloody company that nearly ruined the Swiss watch industry back in the day. If it wasn't for sheer determination most of these fantastic Swiss watch houses would have been gone forever thanks to cheap Japanese quartz watches, so to me they should stick with doing that, but that's just me probably.

Now now simmer down. Would you also vilify Henry Ford and Ford motor company for almost singlehandedly reducing the horse to pet status?
We have strayed from the original subject of this very very long thread. By en large it has been very enjoyable.

Esthetics are very difficult to debate and in the end we must recognize that its a matter of taste. you don't like the styling of GS and I think Rolex styling is very dated. In the end these are unassailable positions.
but as to the original question that is is the build quality of the GS greater than the Rolex. The consensus here at your Rolex forum seems to be yes it is.
but that is clearly not the only consideration for buying a watch. as you say your esthetic sensibilities are probably more important. Your perception if your favorite watchmakers history and pedigree and design will all dictate your choice. If you don't like the looks of the watch on your wrist it will hardly matter if its a tic better made.
BTW labeling posters as seiko or rolex fanboys does nothing more than show your frustration level that someone will disagree with you.
There are many watch lovers in the world and Rolex is doing just fine and making fine watches. Seiko is doing just fine and making fine watches. Its very unlikely anything we say or do here will change that. choice is what makes the world go round.
On a side note the watch I am wearing presently is a Girard Perregaux vintage of about 1968 or not a Seiko or Rolex.
John aka bosjohn
Old 24 February 2013, 05:21 AM   #638
bosjohn

Quote:
Right I've just come to the conclusion that my eyes work better than you lots

Seriously if you cannot see that the GS diver and the gmt pictured above are blatant copies of rolex models I give up
now you and I don't believe that for a nano second. You will give up when pigs fly hehehehhe.
John
Old 24 February 2013, 05:22 AM   #639
bosjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy321 View Post
I have a GS Hi Beat 36000, a new one with black sunburst dial. The quality and finish are immaculate. Personally I think the quality is very good and better than any Rolex. Don't get me wrong Rolex fans, I love Rolex, having 6265, 1675 gilt, 1601 DJ, a 1946 14k RG Bubbleback and an incoming 218206a. But the quality and finish of GS is just superb. GS watches are handmade and the production figure is aprox. 4000 a year. Rolex is an industry's marvel, cranking 1 million high quality watches a year. Fortunately I don't have to choose, I love them all!
Slight correction Grand Seiko is hand assembled polished adjusted and finished but not entirely hand made.
John aka bosjohn
Old 24 February 2013, 06:49 AM   #640
submariner66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbg13 View Post
The sub is a wonderful iconic watch that is well deserving of its place in history. And they did way better than a home run with it, that things well out of the park. If I was a collector I would definitely have one. But unfortunately my tastes exceed my income and I am proud to have my 1 nice watch. 16570 polar. But as you can see from other posts above the sub is not an original as you would like to believe, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Your post was about how you love your Rolex because of how "original" it was and everything else copied it therefore inferior in some way. So you either new this about the Fifty Fathoms and have been lying to yourself, or didn't know and are now backpedaling.
If you are in love with it that is all that matters, but no need to bash Grand Seiko saying it's a copy of your dads Rolex and therefore inferior, when it's no more of a copy than your Sub is of the Fifty Fathoms.
Previous post from Padi regarding this. I think that is all that needs to be said.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=28

No, I think you are oversimplifying my points and most certainly getting your threads crossed! Its not an either-or situation and please don't put words in my mouth. I don't think things are inferior because they are copies, sometimes they are even better. But it does change the way you think about it. Like I said usually designs, art, ideas in general lets say, do not come out of a vacuum there is a sort of community of ideas that it is born from, usually. Things contemporaneous with one another will often look alike. Its not like I am arguing against the GS or visa versa. My point is that the GS and Seiko in general borrows heavily from Rolex and Omega's of the 50s- the golden age of wrist watches. Just look at the bracelets. Not a bad place to borrow from though. That much I think we can assume.

I can't figure out why some people think because you respectfully disagree about such small details with someone else you are instantly "bashing" something. Hopefully were having a gentlemanly discussion? I just happen to have my own idea about it, as I am sure you do as well. And also happen to like the GS very, very much- don't worry dear defender of the GS! Maybe I would like to read a nice book on Seiko, Rolex and the Blancpain one day that is researched and all about the story of these watches. Sounds relaxing! But to sit here and argue back and forth about it is kind of pointless for me, sorry.
Old 24 February 2013, 07:21 AM   #641
MrLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosjohn View Post
now you and I don't believe that for a nano second. You will give up when pigs fly hehehehhe.
John
Lol, very true John got me there
Old 24 February 2013, 07:25 AM   #642
MrLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Alan View Post
As far as I can see you do not identify your country of origin and I was not sure if you were across the pond or in London, Ontario, Canada. I will now consider the time difference for the delay in your comments.

After reading your posts concerning your dissatisfied GS purchase, would you consider listing it on on the TRF For Sale section so we Seiko lovers can have an opportunity to give it a happy home??

J. Alan
I didn't say I had purchased a GS I would never spend that amount of money on one of these watches, because as I have made very very clear I don't like the styling, or the brand as a prestige marque

However if I did have one you could have it at a good price
Old 24 February 2013, 07:46 AM   #643
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
...Finish wise it was good but I don't feel it came anywhere near the quality of my sub c,
Quote:
Right I've just come to the conclusion that my eyes work better than you lots
If you think the finish on a Rolex beats a GS....you need to get into an eye doctor ASAP. x100

Quote:
if you cannot see that the GS diver and the gmt pictured above are blatant copies of rolex models I give up
It may be time for you to give up. They are no more of a copy than a Sub to a FF.

Quote:
X3 on that for sure!!
x4.....
Old 24 February 2013, 09:12 AM   #644
MrLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
If you think the finish on a Rolex beats a GS....you need to get into an eye doctor ASAP. x100

It may be time for you to give up. They are no more of a copy than a Sub to a FF.

x4.....

Really constructive detailed and informative, well done in adding ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to this debate. You are a fountain of wisdom x 3000
Old 24 February 2013, 09:56 AM   #645
RanHong
"TRF" Member

Quote:

x4.....
Truth.
Old 24 February 2013, 10:05 AM   #646
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner66 View Post
to sit here and argue back and forth about it is kind of pointless for me, sorry.
Agreed
Old 24 February 2013, 10:59 AM   #647
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Bad example on a number of levels because I never mentioned anything about the GS being a 'cheap watch'

So much wrong in this statement, maybe even a tad ignorant but to debate it would be useless.
I think you've made your point regarding your feelings on GS. It comes a time when a man just has to agree to disagree.

There are many threads here I feel are absurd, useless, repetitive and sometimes just silly, but hey, who am I to judge. I just take a peek and leave because in my eyes it's pointless to even comment particularly if this said thread has gained speed and attracted followers. I just giggle, mentally face palm myself and let them continue to enjoy their thread.
I think this is your thread...
Let it go..
Old 24 February 2013, 11:39 AM   #648
alanc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 16710B
This thread appears to have gone over to the dark side again.
Old 24 February 2013, 12:03 PM   #649
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Really constructive detailed and informative, well done in adding ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to this debate. You are a fountain of wisdom x 3000
Exactly - I'm fighting fire with fire. Just like your responses have been....zero substance. Opinion's are great when you are backing them with something.....anything. You are providing your "feelings", but surely nothing informative. If your looking for Info, you can find plenty of it in the past 21 pages.

Anyone with a 10x loupe and 20/20 vision wouldn't dispute finish quality levels between a Rolex and a GS....there is no comparing. Period. No matter how many times you pick up the loupe and look at each piece, the results will be the same. Now, if you want to contest that....go ahead....but you WILL get the and all day long. Carry on.
Old 24 February 2013, 12:29 PM   #650
bosjohn

time to end this thread its getting tired out

Quote:
Exactly - I'm fighting fire with fire. Just like your responses have been....zero substance. Opinion's are great when you are backing them with something.....anything. You are providing your "feelings", but surely nothing informative. If your looking for Info, you can find plenty of it in the past 21 pages.

Anyone with a 10x loupe and 20/20 vision wouldn't dispute finish quality levels between a Rolex and a GS....there is no comparing. Period. No matter how many times you pick up the loupe and look at each piece, the results will be the same. Now, if you want to contest that....go ahead....but you WILL get the and all day long. Carry on.
so I love to argue as much as the next guy but this thread has really run its course, Almost nothing new has been said for quite a while.
once again I want to thank you rolex guys your are for the most part terrific and your all welcome to come to scwf I hope our folk are as generous with you as you have been with us
you guys are just like us we all love watches, Fortunately there are more than enough great watches out there to keep us all busy for a very long time.
P.S. sorry I attached this to your post but I really didn't want to start another subthread.
Cheers to all
John aka bosjohn
Old 24 February 2013, 01:16 PM   #651
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Quote:
There is nothing 'ill-informed' about my post it's an opinion, or is everyone who disagrees with you 'ill-informed', sorry I forgot you were the holder of all correct knowledge
Rude response, big fella.
Old 24 February 2013, 04:33 PM   #652
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
OK, back to the eye candy. Apparently only 150 examples of this gorgeous SBGE021 (Limited Edition) were made. I am told that the green signifies good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GS_LE1.jpg (84.8 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg GS_LE2.jpg (55.7 KB, 339 views)
Old 24 February 2013, 06:17 PM   #653
J. Alan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israguard View Post
Like many... I have been reading and enjoying everyones input. I initially thought that this was the same as comparing a Lexus to a Mercedes... I have seen in Bangkok (big dept store) a massive GS display and was amazed at the cost. I guess I too am a victim to Rolex marketing.

After looking at the above GMT watch... Im in love. I dont have the faintest clue where I can buy this in Montreal. I did check ebay & found it from Japan for $4200. Add to that the 15.5% sales tax when it gets here. Nonetheless.. a beauty.. I want one
Hi, Israguard:

Received your PM about my Vancouver visit to the Seiko GS AD, but you have not answered my return PM's requesting more info from you (model no., etc.)

Last chance to get ahold of me before I leave early Sunday.

J. Alan
Old 24 February 2013, 06:57 PM   #654
MrLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
so I love to argue as much as the next guy but this thread has really run its course, Almost nothing new has been said for quite a while.
once again I want to thank you rolex guys your are for the most part terrific and your all welcome to come to scwf I hope our folk are as generous with you as you have been with us
you guys are just like us we all love watches, Fortunately there are more than enough great watches out there to keep us all busy for a very long time.
P.S. sorry I attached this to your post but I really didn't want to start another subthread.
Cheers to all
John aka bosjohn
Couldn't agree more, I said my piece then left it, but so many people replied to my stuff I had to keep bloody answering them lol

Ok guys from me personally enough is enough but it's been fun
Old 24 February 2013, 07:06 PM   #655
herbie911
"TRF" Member

A lot of people aspire to own a Rolex Sub but not many people out there will say my grail is a Grand Seiko no matter how good a Seiko, Breitling, IWC or Graham for that matter. Just look at the number of Rolex forum vs other brand! I got a Seiko and I love it to bits. However, I know which brand I wear when I go for business meetings and special night out with my other half!

A Lexus or Infinity is very reliable and is probably better built and more reliable than their German competitors but the majority will still aspire or buy a Beemer, Audi or Mercedes!
Old 24 February 2013, 10:14 PM   #656
DreambreaX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy321 View Post
i have a gs hi beat 36000, a new one with black sunburst dial. The quality and finish are immaculate. Personally i think the quality is very good and better than any rolex. Don't get me wrong rolex fans, i love rolex, having 6265, 1675 gilt, 1601 dj, a 1946 14k rg bubbleback and an incoming 218206a. But the quality and finish of gs is just superb. Gs watches are handmade and the production figure is aprox. 4000 a year. Rolex is an industry's marvel, cranking 1 million high quality watches a year. Fortunately i don't have to choose, i love them all!

+1
Old 24 February 2013, 10:45 PM   #657
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie911 View Post
A lot of people aspire to own a Rolex Sub but not many people out there will say my grail is a Grand Seiko no matter how good a Seiko, Breitling, IWC or Graham for that matter. Just look at the number of Rolex forum vs other brand! I got a Seiko and I love it to bits. However, I know which brand I wear when I go for business meetings and special night out with my other half!
Another perfect example of top notch marketing by Rolex.

I would def wear a GS if meeting up with fellow WIS mates and Rolex for everything else.
Old 25 February 2013, 02:09 AM   #658
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
Another perfect example of top notch marketing by Rolex.

I would def wear a GS if meeting up with fellow WIS mates and Rolex for everything else.
Have to agree and here is one guy who has been looking for a Vintage SG for quite some time. Although a huge Rolex fan myself know quality when I see it no matter the name on the dial..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 25 February 2013, 02:29 AM   #659
speedy321
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Slight correction Grand Seiko is hand assembled polished adjusted and finished but not entirely hand made.
John aka bosjohn
Fair enough. But I think GS is hand made in the same sense as Omega Central Tourbillon although not in the same sense as, say, George Daniels' hand made pocket watch.
Old 25 February 2013, 02:31 AM   #660
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
So I have a 16 month old Rolex Datejust that has to back to RSC for service, and a 40+ year old 36,000 bph Seiko that runs like a champ.

Does Rolex have to win this battle or can some of the GS-dumpers admit they are both great time peices in their own right.
Closed Thread