The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 2 April 2020, 08:16 AM   #31
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'm still quite positive as long as the virus stays as it is and does not mutate to killing under 50s at the over 70s rate. I think there will be enormous political pressure via social unrest for govts to open things up in the next couple of months, already grumblings are being heard across social media, and thus a 2/3 month shutdown with unprecedented amounts of govt money and aid spent on the recovery should result in a recession, rather than a prolonged depression, which is something we have been awaiting for a couple of years anyway following on from this long bull run.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 08:49 AM   #32
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I’m simply hoping for a shift towards the important things...
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 09:21 AM   #33
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
I surmise that most here are facing limited effects from this at least in comparison to the general population. I'm fortunate and grateful to be making the most out of things particularly in the markets when so many are getting hit hard.

So it's hard for me to predict how this will all pan out, especially with a bit of a detached perspective. I'm not at all pleased with the lack of knowledge and direction from many areas leadership in this country so I tilt toward a pessimistic view. Fiscal and monetary policy have been in a game of kick the can since before this crisis and really makes this all a pure guessing game.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 09:25 AM   #34
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
More on a serious note... as I’ve been thinking about the end of this madness. I feel somewhat sad to think about the ramifications to the majority of everyone’s lives.

Some people will have lost a friend or a family member
Some people will have lost their jobs
We all have lost 2-3 months of our lives

I feel like the economic toll that we are all facing is yet unknown but whatever it will be is worst than what it should have been.

What’s your view
This Fat Ninja is a 180 from IG Fat Ninja.

Welcome back.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 09:35 AM   #35
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
In China, there are reports of divorce rates spiking after quarantine order in Wuhan were lifted. I don’t believe any data coming out of China, but this I can believe. Every relationship will be tested - those which were strong will become stronger. Many will be discarded.

The economic impact is going to be big, just how big it’s tough to say. I don’t think anyone has a clue and the media gets more clicks on doomsday stories than on happy ones so I stay away from those. The markets appear directionless at the moment and operating on a mix of hope, limited data, worst case predictions. The one article I read today about the coming wave of mortgage defaults scared me shitless. Cash is going to rule for the foreseeable future and the importance of sizeable cash and reduced leverage will become important for years.

International relations have been tested and it’s clear that when the going gets tough, it’s every nation for themselves. The idea of allies has been discarded. The distrust of China is going to grow no matter what effort they put into trying to rewrite history. But the Chinese will go shopping for allies that are out of cash and companies they will buy for pennies.

The WHO is a lost cause. They’ve screwed up big time and have basically been an agency of the Chinese government during the last few months. A criminal investigation is warranted IMO, but there definitely will be some type of investigation into their role.

The role of the government is back in focus. Many have seen their credibility enhanced. I’m in Singapore and I can tell you the opposition doesn’t stand a chance in the upcoming general elections.

Personal distance will be redefined, perhaps forever and for the better.

Everything Digital and digital will be everything.

Cash will die a faster death.

Long distance work travel will reduce for a long time. I did 1 international flight every week on average for the last 15 years. I now believe I can function at work without having to do that.

Sorry for the long rambling post.

Peace and stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 April 2020, 10:28 AM   #36
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
This Fat Ninja is a 180 from IG Fat Ninja.

Welcome back.
Heya buddy. Sometimes I’m really fat
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 10:29 AM   #37
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
In China, there are reports of divorce rates spiking after quarantine order in Wuhan were lifted. I don’t believe any data coming out of China, but this I can believe. Every relationship will be tested - those which were strong will become stronger. Many will be discarded.

The economic impact is going to be big, just how big it’s tough to say. I don’t think anyone has a clue and the media gets more clicks on doomsday stories than on happy ones so I stay away from those. The markets appear directionless at the moment and operating on a mix of hope, limited data, worst case predictions. The one article I read today about the coming wave of mortgage defaults scared me shitless. Cash is going to rule for the foreseeable future and the importance of sizeable cash and reduced leverage will become important for years.

International relations have been tested and it’s clear that when the going gets tough, it’s every nation for themselves. The idea of allies has been discarded. The distrust of China is going to grow no matter what effort they put into trying to rewrite history. But the Chinese will go shopping for allies that are out of cash and companies they will buy for pennies.

The WHO is a lost cause. They’ve screwed up big time and have basically been an agency of the Chinese government during the last few months. A criminal investigation is warranted IMO, but there definitely will be some type of investigation into their role.

The role of the government is back in focus. Many have seen their credibility enhanced. I’m in Singapore and I can tell you the opposition doesn’t stand a chance in the upcoming general elections.

Personal distance will be redefined, perhaps forever and for the better.

Everything Digital and digital will be everything.

Cash will die a faster death.

Long distance work travel will reduce for a long time. I did 1 international flight every week on average for the last 15 years. I now believe I can function at work without having to do that.

Sorry for the long rambling post.

Peace and stay safe.

I kinda share the view on most of the things you said. My wife also pointed out the divorces in China to me...u guys must be reading the same article
Old 2 April 2020, 10:37 AM   #38
Cesium137
Banned

What will change? Well, maybe we become less dependent on China. Maybe this ends up creating industry, that pre-corona would have been out sourced from China. I know that in the future I will pay more attention to where a product is made and less likely to buy from China. Their government handling of this disgusts me. But that’s just me.
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 10:49 AM   #39
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I for one hope that it would lead people to go outside and smell the roses so to speak. So many people, including younger folk have become glued to screens over the past several years and now I am thinking many people are just sick of it.

Maybe instead of buying something on Amazon, once we can get back outside maybe we can visit a physical store and make a purchase. I know it sounds silly, but that is what I miss the most out of this whole "lockdown" of NYC.

Other than that, I hope people stick to their routine of constantly washing hands and sanitizing. I am not Howie Mandel or anything, but I have always make sure to be careful what I touch with my bare hands, and always wash/sanitize!
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 10:55 AM   #40
mimo5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
I'd like to think that the entire world becomes closer as human beings. More peace, less fighting. More joy from the natural beauty of the world. And more accepting of everybody's shortcomings. That's my dream at least.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
mimo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 11:05 AM   #41
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo5000 View Post
I'd like to think that the entire world becomes closer as human beings. More peace, less fighting. More joy from the natural beauty of the world. And more accepting of everybody's shortcomings. That's my dream at least.

U know this isn’t happening
Old 2 April 2020, 11:06 AM   #42
TNT009
"TRF" Member

Wont be able to get a Tee Time!
TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 11:13 AM   #43
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Welp, this quarantine has made me realize how much money I’ve been spending on going out to various restaurants. Also, made me realize just how good of a cook my gf is. Well be doing more of the latter and less of the former
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 12:23 PM   #44
mimo5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
U know this isn’t happening
Dreams are dreams.

mimo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 12:38 PM   #45
CalSRQ1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Welp, this quarantine has made me realize how much money I’ve been spending on going out to various restaurants. Also, made me realize just how good of a cook my gf is. Well be doing more of the latter and less of the former
absolutely agree on this one. The part about restaurants that is. Not sure about your gf's cooking :)
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 12:54 PM   #46
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Well I’m back

Welcome back.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 03:02 PM   #47
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Things will quickly return to pre-Pandemic 'normal', the massive amount of government debt not withstanding. It will take decades for some countries to pay off that debt. Some will be basket cases with this on top of the GFC. One would hope that important lessons will have been learned about where these epidemics come from and how trustworthy the governments are. This should inform our future relations with these countries across a spectrum of sectors - trade, education, immigration, foreign ownership, soft power, international relations.
Most of all every country needs to have an 'early warning system' backed up with a comprehensive National Plan that is binding on individual States, and stockpiles any physical resources that might be needed. Singapore may be a good model to consider.
Finally, it should be clear to western democratic countries that Pandemic is a biological weapon that is capable of paralysing countries by destroying or debilitating their economies.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 03:25 PM   #48
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Solo118, I agree with you. Let’s back to living a simple life. Go to the stores, and spend less time glued to your cell phone/ electronic devices. And of course, always practice proper hygiene. Something that you should’ve been doing, way before Covid-19. Pick up the phone, and talk to your friends, and family. Enough with the texting. You can’t have a conversation when your texting.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 10:16 PM   #49
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Totally agree, while I enjoyed the going out part it was expensive. I can for see this changing the whole restaurant culture permanently. I think many wont be around long term no matter how much government money is infused.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 09:38 AM   #50
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

A cataclysmic event like this is going to reshape thinking in ways I’m not sure we can grasp. There are some really obvious things but the big picture is hard to get my head around.

I can picture handshakes and hugs being a thing of the past pretty quickly.

timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 12:55 PM   #51
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timepieceluvr View Post
A cataclysmic event like this is going to reshape thinking in ways I’m not sure we can grasp. There are some really obvious things but the big picture is hard to get my head around.

I can picture handshakes and hugs being a thing of the past pretty quickly.

When I was in Japan I bowed a lot.
Old 5 April 2020, 12:58 PM   #52
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

How will life change after the Corona virus?

Quote:
When I was in Japan I bowed a lot.

I think I’ll be going with genuflecting

timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 01:06 PM   #53
Star Ferry
Banned

Bars and restaurants in Chicago were packed the weekend before the shutdown went into effect. Things will return. Based on my observations, older people and women are most concerned about the virus, and many will stay home even when shutdowns are ended. Young men are less concerned and least risk-averse.

I do believe people are shockingly easily swayed. When the news cycle and social media moves on, so will they.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:55 AM   #54
PaulEvansLoafers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
I think this will be one of those things that people write about 100 years from now, the same way they do for the 1917 pandemic.

With that said, I unfortunately think that these type of phenomena will keep occurring, each time at a greater frequency. Just a feeling that I have.

As for the economic implications, I do think we bounce back relatively quick. The long term social effects is what I'm totally unsure of. In big cities such as NYC I see public transportation (ie subway) taking a massive hit. Usage has been steadily going on over the years due to the rise of ride-sharing services and I think this speeds it up.
PaulEvansLoafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:56 AM   #55
Brew
"TRF" Member

I learned yesterday that my barber will still have a job when this is all over.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 01:03 AM   #56
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I learned yesterday that my barber will still have a job when this is all over.

That’s the truth! I’m gonna be a mess and I can’t possibly allow my wife to cut it. I’ve seen what she did to my son!

It took me years to convince her to take him to a barber. No way she gets going on “what little hair I have left.”
Old 6 April 2020, 03:27 AM   #57
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Its really hard to say. I can see a lot of things snapping back from pent up demand but I wonder about the airlines and mass transit. I never much liked being all packed together like that in the best of times.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:59 PM   #58
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Things will quickly return to pre-Pandemic 'normal', the massive amount of government debt not withstanding. It will take decades for some countries to pay off that debt. Some will be basket cases with this on top of the GFC. One would hope that important lessons will have been learned about where these epidemics come from and how trustworthy the governments are. This should inform our future relations with these countries across a spectrum of sectors - trade, education, immigration, foreign ownership, soft power, international relations.
Most of all every country needs to have an 'early warning system' backed up with a comprehensive National Plan that is binding on individual States, and stockpiles any physical resources that might be needed. Singapore may be a good model to consider.
Finally, it should be clear to western democratic countries that Pandemic is a biological weapon that is capable of paralysing countries by destroying or debilitating their economies.
Always appreciate your thoughtful posts.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 09:53 PM   #59
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Yep. For certain.

The amount we spent in 3 meals is feeding us for at least a week. Three means a day.

We do some delivery, but it’s mostly home cooked. And better.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 09:53 PM   #60
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Always appreciate your thoughtful posts.
Agree.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote