The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 24 April 2011, 01:30 PM   #1
PDT673
"TRF" Member

Repair Needed-GMT-Tritium has fallen out of the 24hr hand

My GMT fell off the dresser landing facedown on the carpet causing the tritium to fall out of the 24 hour hand. The pearl is freefloating. I would like to be able to have it repaired and keep the original tritium. Don't want to relume, just to have it back the way it was before the fall. Can anyone recommend someone to do this type of repair (if it is even possible)? Thanks!
PDT673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There aren't many people who still work with radioactive tritium any more..

If you do have tritium pieces or dust roaming around inside the case, it is likely that it will eventually work it's way into the works and cause issues... This means that it's likely a full service is needed to ensure everything is clean and the oils are not contaminated..

Hopefully you can find another proper tritium hand to replace yours..
Old 24 April 2011, 02:03 PM   #3
PDT673
"TRF" Member

Thanks Tools. The tritium fell out in what appears to be one solid piece, and I was hoping that it could be placed back into the hand (sounds pretty unlikely to me, but just wishful thinking I suppose). If not, I'll be looking for a proper hand to replace it. As soon as I make a decision on where to send the watch for repairs it will be off for a full service and whatever else needs to be done.
PDT673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Your tritium pieces floating around are basically like dust at this point just touching them with just about anything will cause them to disintergrate. I have been able in the past put it back in the hand but it's a dicey at best. Rik
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2011, 05:14 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDT673 View Post
Thanks Tools. The tritium fell out in what appears to be one solid piece, and I was hoping that it could be placed back into the hand (sounds pretty unlikely to me, but just wishful thinking I suppose). If not, I'll be looking for a proper hand to replace it. As soon as I make a decision on where to send the watch for repairs it will be off for a full service and whatever else needs to be done.
A restoration professional can glue some webbing to the back of the hand, then set the tritium into the web and seal the whole thing..

Depends on how much you want that piece of trit and how much you want to pay to restore it..........
Old 28 April 2011, 11:18 AM   #6
Bdel
"TRF" Member

I had the luminova fall out of one of the hour markers and it was glued back in in one piece. The 24hand may be tougher, but I think it can be done.
Collection: Yachtmaster TT, Milgauss, Explorer II, SeaDweller, Air King, Lange #1, BR03-92, Panerai PAM 112, Omega Planet Ocean, Corum Admirals Cup, Ball Engineer, U-boat Flight Deck, Longines Silver Arrow, Hamilton Ventura,etc...
Bdel is offline   Reply With Quote