The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 7 February 2022, 03:14 AM   #31
VFA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
Majority of new clients don't care they just want what's HOT
Yes. Its has become too industrial and too mainstream. Too much hype behind it.

I have grown cold to AP. It doesn't excite me anymore.

I look at AP and I only see a corporation trying to maximize revenue and profits. Compromising on quality and increasing production. With this much hype they can do so. They dont need to impress with quality and finishing anymore.

Good for the shareholders.
VFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 03:38 AM   #32
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Being a more expensive Rolex is something most brands would kill to be. I agree seems AP is trending that way.

Not sure it matters. There are micro brands if you want 10/10 finishing. Journe and RM don’t really provide that either.
Old 7 February 2022, 05:12 AM   #33
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Being a more expensive Rolex is something most brands would kill to be. I agree seems AP is trending that way.

Not sure it matters. There are micro brands if you want 10/10 finishing. Journe and RM don’t really provide that either.

APs kind of in its own little world at the moment but I total agree with you.

2 years ago, why would you buy a panda Daytona for $25k when you could buy an AP panda for $25k? Why would you buy a Pepsi for $18k when you could’ve bought a 15500 for roughly the same price? And as the Rolex prices rose, so did the AP price. This trend though broke and AP trades in its own little corner of the watch world, the ROC is $80k+ while Daytonas are pushing $50k.

I think AP provides a good mix of case, movement, dial and bracelet finishing (depending on watch). You typically sacrifice one for the other but seldom get all of it in one package.

Folks can feel free to prove me wrong, I’m happy to hear other opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 05:41 AM   #34
HansGruber
"TRF" Member

Spot on. Little over a year ago I bought the 38mm panda grey for roughly 20% over retail. At that time the Daytona was close to the same price, almost 300% more than retail. No brainer for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post

2 years ago, why would you buy a panda Daytona for $25k when you could buy an AP panda for $25k? Why would you buy a Pepsi for $18k when you could’ve bought a 15500 for roughly the same price? And as the Rolex prices rose, so did the AP price. This trend though broke and AP trades in its own little corner of the watch world, the ROC is $80k+ while Daytonas are pushing $50k.

I think AP provides a good mix of case, movement, dial and bracelet finishing (depending on watch). You typically sacrifice one for the other but seldom get all of it in one package.

HansGruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 06:14 AM   #35
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFA View Post
They dont need to impress with quality and finishing anymore.
Interesting statement. A key attraction for AP and the RO specifically has always been the design and finishing of case, dial and bracelet. I'd be interested to hear more from you in which specific areas the quality and finishing of the latest generation is inferior to that of 15300/25860 times? I'll give you the 15202/16202 tripartite case and the use of Vaucher-produced movements in the small/entry-level ROs (while ignoring the incongruence with the Jumbo adulation).
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 10:58 AM   #36
CAWatchLove
Banned

Is this a fact at boutiques now?

Must buy codes to be considered for RO
CAWatchLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 11:20 AM   #37
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWatchLove View Post
Is this a fact at boutiques now?

Must buy codes to be considered for RO
I think the manager always has discretion. But practically speaking, if in 2021 you sold 50 codes to first time buyers and they all want a RO, why would that RO watch now in 2022 go someone that is not one of those 50?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 11:28 AM   #38
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post

This literally describes why I bought my 15400 back in 2017. I wanted a Rolex Daytona and was told no chance from the AD so I started looking at the VCO chrono and the AP ROC since both would've been just a little more than the GM pricing at the time. Both companies updated their chronos around the same time so there wasn't anything I could buy without waiting. I decided to just go with the 15400 since it was thinner and wore smaller.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 01:12 PM   #39
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
This literally describes why I bought my 15400 back in 2017. I wanted a Rolex Daytona and was told no chance from the AD so I started looking at the VCO chrono and the AP ROC since both would've been just a little more than the GM pricing at the time. Both companies updated their chronos around the same time so there wasn't anything I could buy without waiting. I decided to just go with the 15400 since it was thinner and wore smaller.
So essentially the watch world made no sense. With Rolex Daytonas trading for more than ROCs, and basic GMTs trading for the same as a 15400. Now the market corrected itself. Everyone released how stupid that was and the market shifted accordingly. Now with the nautilus selling so much more than the RO/ROC, the market will correct again.

And by correct I don't mean down. It's going to go even higher because it makes no sense for these watches to be THAT much cheaper than a nautilus.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2022, 05:18 AM   #40
VFA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Interesting statement. A key attraction for AP and the RO specifically has always been the design and finishing of case, dial and bracelet. I'd be interested to hear more from you in which specific areas the quality and finishing of the latest generation is inferior to that of 15300/25860 times? I'll give you the 15202/16202 tripartite case and the use of Vaucher-produced movements in the small/entry-level ROs (while ignoring the incongruence with the Jumbo adulation).
You can add to your list the very industrial looking new movements designed to be easier to manufacture with minimal hand finishing. They just look uninspiring and boring to me.

The case, dial and bracelet finish will always be top notch with AP. Those will always be stunning. No complaints there.
VFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2022, 05:25 AM   #41
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFA View Post
You can add to your list the very industrial looking new movements designed to be easier to manufacture with minimal hand finishing. They just look uninspiring and boring to me.

The case, dial and bracelet finish will always be top notch with AP. Those will always be stunning. No complaints there.
I must confess I’ve long abandoned the interest about calibers and don’t even care about exhibition cases nowadays.

Unless we are talking Lange and it’s ridiculously beautiful chronographs (they do like cities…), most of the brands offer very boring calibers designs and finish. At least rolex has the good taste to hide all the engines away, like you would on any regular car.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2022, 06:08 AM   #42
Watchandhoop
"TRF" Member

My biggest excitement with AP was the new 43mm offshore. I feel like they are undervalued compared to the grey market prices of the 15500. I could see those shoot up in the near future.
Watchandhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2022, 09:51 AM   #43
squall1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
I must confess I’ve long abandoned the interest about calibers
I'm of a similar mindset, if I'm after something specific related to the movement, I'll target a specific watch or independent maker and commission it. It's far down my list at the moment though and really doesn't come into play for AP for me. I come to AP for other aspects, design and case finishing at the top of the list. I can see how some of the decisions the brand is taking could be off-putting to long time fans & collectors though. I'm new, so these things don't bother me much.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote