The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 11 July 2018, 12:44 AM   #1
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Bezel screw misaligned

Hi guys. I just got AP jarno and i love it so much so far. But after having it for a couple of days, i just realize that the screw bezel is misaligned. Im fully confident that this watch is 100% real and I got it from a very reputable watch dealer.

Biggest possibilities is that the watch might be opened for service by someone else beside official AP watch maker.
This small defect really bothers me. Any thought?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180710_214251.jpg (273.6 KB, 469 views)
DanielBoncu2902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 12:47 AM   #2
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Ummmmm.... yeah. Someone likely opened that up and I would send to APSC to check it out. Do the back screws look tampered with?
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 12:52 AM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’d be looking to return it.
Old 11 July 2018, 01:10 AM   #4
Tenzen
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
That made me shudder seeing it. I would send it back, at minimum get it looked at by a APSC on their dime.
Tenzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 01:14 AM   #5
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Ummmmm.... yeah. Someone likely opened that up and I would send to APSC to check it out. Do the back screws look tampered with?
Thank you for your comment. Honestly the condition of this watch is superb. Carbon case looks like new, cermet bezel doesnt even have a visible scratch or crack. It seems like the watch did not have enough wrist time by previous owner. Just contacted the seller and he said he can fix it for me for less than 5 minutes.

Any chance that AP QC might had missed this problem?
Old 11 July 2018, 01:17 AM   #6
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’d be looking to return it.
Why would u be looking to return it? If you think that the watch is fake, i dont think it is fake. The seller is a very reputable dealer. And I have purchased watch from him before.
Old 11 July 2018, 01:19 AM   #7
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen View Post
That made me shudder seeing it. I would send it back, at minimum get it looked at by a APSC on their dime.
There is no APSC here in Indonesia. The closest APSC is in Singapore. The seller said he can help me fix it for less than 5 minutes as this kind of problem is very simple to fix. Thought?
Old 11 July 2018, 01:24 AM   #8
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBoncu2902 View Post

Any chance that AP QC might had missed this problem?
Zero chance.

Post a photo of the case back.
Old 11 July 2018, 01:31 AM   #9
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

http://www.secondoriginalwatch.com/2...jarno.html?m=1

This is the watch that I have purchased
Old 11 July 2018, 01:34 AM   #10
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
http://www.secondoriginalwatch.com/2...jarno.html?m=1

This is the watch that I have purchased
Post an actual photo from your phone of the case back in your possession, not from the seller website. That website shows the bezel screw aligned properly, which it is not.
Old 11 July 2018, 01:34 AM   #11
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Why would u be looking to return it? If you think that the watch is fake, i dont think it is fake. The seller is a very reputable dealer. And I have purchased watch from him before.
The fact the the attention to detail has not been provided cosmetically, could indicate that a service of the movement may have had a similarly lackluster approach by the technician?

Though your dealer may be reputable his choice of service persons may not be the best?

If it is possible to evaluate the movement and any service work , that would be ideal but if not, you may find out years later when the watch visits an authorized service center... ps if you choose to sell it down the road, You won't have the answers the next buyer may want.

Old 11 July 2018, 01:37 AM   #12
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Post an actual photo from your phone of the case back in your possession, not from the seller website. That website shows the bezel screw aligned properly, which it is not.
Please once again see the picture from the website. It is not aligned. You might have missed it
Old 11 July 2018, 01:40 AM   #13
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Please once again see the picture from the website. It is not aligned. You might have missed it
Sorry my bad. I was put a wrong link. This link is the correct one.

https://mulialegacy.com/index.php/pr...-edition-2011/

The picture from first post is a picture I took myself
Old 11 July 2018, 01:43 AM   #14
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sorry my bad. I was put a wrong link. This link is the correct one.

https://mulialegacy.com/index.php/pr...-edition-2011/

The picture from first post is a picture I took myself
I wouldn't have bought it. Try to return it and if you do not want to do that, send to APSC and have it serviced by them directly to see whats going on.

Still would like to see case back photos.
Old 11 July 2018, 02:12 AM   #15
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
I wouldn't have bought it. Try to return it and if you do not want to do that, send to APSC and have it serviced by them directly to see whats going on.

Still would like to see case back photos.
As requested. Sorry for bad picture, here is night now and i just have my phone camera to take a picture but i guess it is more than enough to see whether is legit or not
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20180710-WA0079.jpg (130.3 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20180710-WA0078.jpg (137.3 KB, 417 views)
Old 11 July 2018, 02:25 AM   #16
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Maybe the watchmaker wanted to give it a special hublot-esque finish !

In all seriousness though, the bezel screws on their website photo do look a bit of a mess.

I would be concerned at the attitude of “it’s a 5 minute fix”, that it may be, but what else has gone on inside the case you can’t see.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 02:31 AM   #17
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

If I was as confident in the seller as you are I would just do it myself, its just a screw

That being said I would not have bought it like that as it raises questions on the the quality of the service that was performed
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 02:43 AM   #18
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

If the screw is misaligned it raises other questions about the rest of the mechanics of the watch. More importantly, what else was tampered with underneath the case by someone other than APSC? I would be more concerned about everything that lies under rather than singling out the screw as the main issue
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 02:44 AM   #19
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Its real and because of the limited number it might not be easy to find one in similar condition. I would just send to APSC and for less the $1,500 the watch will look and work like new and be fully up to AP spec with a 2 year AP warranty. I would pay for that peace of mind on such an awesome watch.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 02:48 AM   #20
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
If I was as confident in the seller as you are I would just do it myself, its just a screw

That being said I would not have bought it like that as it raises questions on the the quality of the service that was performed
I think I will bring to APSC to get a proper answer. Do you guys know how much is it just for general check up?
Old 11 July 2018, 02:53 AM   #21
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Its real and because of the limited number it might not be easy to find one in similar condition. I would just send to APSC and for less the $1,500 the watch will look and work like new and be fully up to AP spec with a 2 year AP warranty. I would pay for that peace of mind on such an awesome watch.
Thank you for your kind reply. I will try to squeeze sometime to go to Singapore as here we do not have APSC. The question is, do we have to bring full box and paper to APSC? Because the APSC is out of country, im afraid if I bring in and out the box together with the watch, our custom will charge us GST tax as they might think I buy this watch overseas
Old 11 July 2018, 04:13 AM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Thank you for your kind reply. I will try to squeeze sometime to go to Singapore as here we do not have APSC. The question is, do we have to bring full box and paper to APSC? Because the APSC is out of country, im afraid if I bring in and out the box together with the watch, our custom will charge us GST tax as they might think I buy this watch overseas
If it’s not under warranty which is surely the case I don’t believe you need any paperwork. At a bare min I would have AP service the watch.
Old 11 July 2018, 04:25 AM   #23
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
No, its probably not under warranty anyway but I would just take a photo of the warranty page with AD stamp and serial number.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 04:46 AM   #24
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
The "5 minutes " fix the scary part.
It means they just unscrew. And screw it back with no other testing
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 04:47 AM   #25
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Guys. I just talked to the seller through the phone. I told him how scared I'm knowing that this watch had ever been opened before.
He said to me that I should not expect that 7 years old watch still remains "virgin". While it probably open by APSC or other watchmaker, it does not guarantee that the watch will be free of problem in the future (can not agree more, as even new AP also sometime has problem). It is also impossible to every watch dealer to know every detail of the history of each watch. The main important thing is the watch is indeed 100% legit. He also had some test like accuracy test and the power reserve test. And all the test went quite well. (I also did accuracy test, result is -2/+2sec a day which is quite good). Yes he said that he was being careless for not noticing this issue, but he also did not mean to lie, as he already sent me video and picture of every detail of the watch before I purchased it. I guess his point also 100% correct.
So he give me what the best and fair solution according to him. He will send someone to fix the screw to my house, as he said, fixing this will be quite easy, and as normal, he will be ready to buy back this watch anytime -10%. He is also ready to pay me back cost of service to APSC if they find something suspicious inside it.

Any thought?
Old 11 July 2018, 04:53 AM   #26
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry333 View Post
The "5 minutes " fix the scary part.
It means they just unscrew. And screw it back with no other testing
Well, after thinking about what he said by 5 minutes fix might probably mean that this fix wont be difficult. And well, if you thinking straight, if the watch maker indeed has experience opening AP case, this fix will surely be fast.

As you guys now, the real case screw for AP are bolts on the back case not on the bezel
Old 11 July 2018, 05:16 AM   #27
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Guys. I just talked to the seller through the phone. I told him how scared I'm knowing that this watch had ever been opened before.
He said to me that I should not expect that 7 years old watch still remains "virgin". While it probably open by APSC or other watchmaker, it does not guarantee that the watch will be free of problem in the future (can not agree more, as even new AP also sometime has problem). It is also impossible to every watch dealer to know every detail of the history of each watch. The main important thing is the watch is indeed 100% legit. He also had some test like accuracy test and the power reserve test. And all the test went quite well. (I also did accuracy test, result is -2/+2sec a day which is quite good). Yes he said that he was being careless for not noticing this issue, but he also did not mean to lie, as he already sent me video and picture of every detail of the watch before I purchased it. I guess his point also 100% correct.
So he give me what the best and fair solution according to him. He will send someone to fix the screw to my house, as he said, fixing this will be quite easy, and as normal, he will be ready to buy back this watch anytime -10%. He is also ready to pay me back cost of service to APSC if they find something suspicious inside it.

Any thought?
1) that is a crock

2) I would take him up on his offer and go find another one, this time do not buy one with a glaring issue like an out of place bezel screw.

Best of luck.
Old 11 July 2018, 05:34 AM   #28
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
1) that is a crock

2) I would take him up on his offer and go find another one, this time do not buy one with a glaring issue like an out of place bezel screw.

Best of luck.
Thank you. But do you really think that 7 years old AP should never be opened at all?

I dunno why somehow I agree with the seller. I have owned 2 AP before and they both have problems. My previous 15400 was like +25sec a day and 15703 had a big visible dust flying around inside the watch dial. There is also a new thread complaining that roo 44mm has problem only 10-15 mnts power reserved.
Old 11 July 2018, 05:35 AM   #29
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He is also ready to pay me back cost of service to APSC if they find something suspicious inside it.

Any thought?
This for sure..

Watch is 100% legit... and we can't say that something like that can't happen' to AP... they send missaligned screw ROO and minute repeater with missing logo to the biggest watch fair.
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 05:41 AM   #30
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thank you. But do you really think that 7 years old AP should never be opened at all?

I dunno why somehow I agree with the seller. I have owned 2 AP before and they both have problems. My previous 15400 was like +25sec a day and 15703 had a big visible dust flying around inside the watch dial. There is also a new thread complaining that roo 44mm has problem only 10-15 mnts power reserved.
Very well could have been opened but I would say there is zero chance APSC would send it back with a bezel screw out of place like that. I agree with a previous poster that it questions who serviced it and what other problems may be hidden.