The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 May 2018, 06:16 AM   #1
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

My account of why I returned my A Lange & Sohne - did I make the right choice?

I was very excited to buy the Saxonia Thin 37 from my AD in January, but regrettably, the watch came with cosmetic flaws - missing spot of AR coating, a hair embedded in the dial, and hands with irregular plating stains.

I reached out to ALS and received a personal reply from the US Director to make things right. I dropped off the flawed watch and in a few weeks the replacement was delivered to my AD. Unfortunately, the replacement had another set of issues - beads of weld still visible between the lugs and case, and hands with not only irregular plating like dried water stains, but also with rough edges (to the point of looking cheap - not how a Lange should be described). The dial also had a tiny speck of dust but that wasn’t an issue for me.

At this point, I had a feeling it’s not a coincidence that the most entry level ALS would have all these issues, and was inclined to take it home. However, my AD graciously offered to try this again, so I left without the watch and yesterday finally received the call that the 2nd replacement is here.

I went in with doubts on not only the watch but also ALS as a company. To their credit, the customer service is flawless, but their quality standard is questionable. I understand that their cases and dials are outsourced, which is a shame considering how beautiful their movements are, even on this model it is made to perfection - chatons, black polished bridges, and that exquisitely engraved balance cock. What’s surprising is that the case and hands of the Saxonia 37 looks extremely inferior for a $15200 watch and do not match the same level of craftsmanship, to the point of looking as if they came from another manufacturer.

My AD offered to refund me in full, which I accepted. Although part of me still likes the watch, the other half can’t quite swallow how such a prestigious manufacturer feels it’s okay to cut corners just because it’s the lowest priced watch. Hopefully, one day ALS will have full vertical manufacturing, or hold all their outsourced parts to the same quality standard. This was to be my gateway hook into a Lange 1 and Datograph, but it has left an unpleasant taste instead.

Maybe all the rave reviews from journalists put ALS on a pedestal for me, so these issues that are typical for other brands, I just did not come to expect from the perceived Saxon savior of honest watch making.

If it weren’t for these case/hands issues, at only $11,100 (I got 25% off) before tax, there is no other comparable gold watch out there. The finishing of the movement easily beats my AP and Patek, and you can just tell how much pride and passion went into it. The case is its Achilles’ heel.

Would you have passed up this watch, brand new and sealed from Germany, for only $11,100?

Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 06:29 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I take it that the second replacement had QC issues similar to the first two watches they offered?

It sounds like the flaws were visible to the naked eye, and if this is true then I agree with you're decision to decline these watches.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 06:34 AM   #3
PJ S
Banned

Price is irrelevant, movement finishing is irrelevant — passing it up is a no-brainer.
I’m highly surprised that with the involvement of the US Director, you still managed to suffer a sub-par piece. I would’ve thought there’d be greater scrutiny before allowing it to go out the door.
Take a look at the Chopard L.U.C.s — you won’t be have much to complain about the movement finishing, and shouldn’t experience the same disappointment.

If you really like the AL&S, then maybe get back in touch with the US Director, and see what they can do for you, considering. Third time’s a charm, perhaps?
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 06:36 AM   #4
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
My account of why I returned my A Lange & Sohne - did I make the right choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Price is irrelevant, movement finishing is irrelevant — passing it up is a no-brainer.
I’m highly surprised that with the involvement of the US Director, you still managed to suffer a sub-par piece. I would’ve thought there’d be greater scrutiny before allowing it to go out the door.
Take a look at the Chopard L.U.C.s — you won’t be have much to complain about the movement finishing, and shouldn’t experience the same disappointment.

If you really like the AL&S, then maybe get back in touch with the US Director, and see what they can do for you, considering. Third time’s a charm, perhaps?

Sorry to hear about your experience. ALS are great with their timepieces and service.

How about a Breguet instead? 🧐

alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 06:51 AM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Agree, for the price the ALS is a lot of watch.
A bit disheartening to know the case and dials made elsewhere.

FPJ
Very interesting pieces, though a different price point.
Old 22 May 2018, 09:59 AM   #6
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Thanks for sharing. I'm happy to hear they went the extra mile for you, but it's disappointing to hear their entry level pieces are indeed "entry-level."

I'd love to add a nice dress watch, and I keep looking at the ALS 37 or JLC, because of their prices. The next step up, the Calatravas and Journes are all 20K+, but I guess you get what you pay for.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 10:20 AM   #7
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I think you made the right choice in refusing the watches with their flaws, but you might try a third sample which may be the one you take home. I've never had such issues with any of my Langes, but they are priced higher than this Saxonia. Still, the watch you were going to purchase should not have these issues.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 10:27 AM   #8
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
I think you were right in returning the watch. No point in not being able to enjoy it to the fullest. I would highly recommend Chopard. I have two - one of which is an LUC and I think you would be impressed by their offerings. Maybe something will sing to you. They really pay a great deal of attention to the smallest detail.
Old 22 May 2018, 10:45 AM   #9
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I have with no issues, or my magnifying glass is of lesser quality!!
Old 22 May 2018, 01:00 PM   #10
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

You did the right thing getting a return. It's like everyone down the line was banking on you being blind.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 02:52 PM   #11
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Romain Gauthier
I own two Lange's and both of them had some issues and in both instances Lange acted promptly and fixed things for me. You can read about them here:

https://www.watchprosite.com/a.-lang...741.9000986/0/

https://www.watchprosite.com/a.-lang...251.9356771/0/

What happened with you is extremely unfortunate but i wouldn't be too quick to brush ALS off or even assume this is their standard. The ALS Thin 37mm is every bit Lange and there is absolutely nothing entry level about the watch despite the price.Its a superb timepiece that perfects simplicity- not to mention its superlative hand-finished movement, puts the holy trinity to shame.Out of all my watches its the one i find my self admiring and wearing the most- i have handled FPJ, AP and PP among others that had so many flaws and in one personal experience with PP, the salon refused to own up to the faulty watch but took it back for 8 months to repair- ruins the joy of owning a brand new watch.I know of a few instances with AP and FPJ that will shock you- point is, these companies are not flawless and mistakes happen, its how they react to them that matters.

As you have experienced, Lange's customer service is beyond reproach and the fact that the brand president herself responded to you shows you their commitment to make things right- trust me, they will make it right.

Do yourself a favour and give it one more try, this watch is perfection.
Old 22 May 2018, 04:21 PM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Agree, for the price the ALS is a lot of watch.
A bit disheartening to know the case and dials made elsewhere.

FPJ
Very interesting pieces, though a different price point.
ALS is a movement maker for all practical purposes, thats it.

So one could argue vertical integration takes them away from what they know and are good at as they make arguably the best movements around. Their chrono movement is probably the best chrono ever made. Getting out of their area of specialization for the sake of saying everything is in house is a slippery slope.

In an idea situation i would actually prefer the best metal working company making and finishing my watch, the best dial maker making the dial, the best movement maker making the movement, and the best leather worker making the strap. Its exceedingly hard to do under one roof as whoever is running the show cant have intimate knowledge of all these individual companies if they acquire them and make them one company.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 04:43 PM   #13
TJMike
Banned

No company is perfect. I have an "entry level" Saxonia 35mm, as well as an 1815 Up/Down. Both watches are flawless.

However, in saying that, I would have done exactly the same thing as you.
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 06:16 PM   #14
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

If you don’t mind my asking, did you get your Saxonia Thin through CH Jewelers at Valley Fair in San Jose?

I ordered the Saxonia Thin 37mm months ago as well but mine has not arrived. No word from the AD regarding the status either. It’s been quite frustrating. How long did you wait until it first arrived?
tryptobphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 06:44 PM   #15
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

Going back a couple of weeks to a post from you on my thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
Perfection is not possible on any mechanical item, if the flaw doesn’t interfere with function I’d learn to live with it - dust, hairs inside dial, hands with rough edges - can all be replaced at service under warranty. misaligned rehault probably not.

Missing spots of AR coating or bad rotor - seen these and sent them back.
agentsmith350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 12:17 AM   #16
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
agreeing with everyone else here...as drop dead lovely as that movement is, the bits you regulalry look at were flawed. That would drive me bananas....
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 02:34 AM   #17
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I would have done what you did.
Old 23 May 2018, 02:43 AM   #18
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quite shocking to read for a well regarded brand like ALS.
Old 23 May 2018, 10:37 AM   #19
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
Just a bad example from an amazing company.. You should take another look beofre downgrading to patek
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 11:25 PM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Very poor, the mvmt is exquisite but the hands look appalling as you say.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 02:12 AM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I too would be soured on the brand.
Old 25 May 2018, 12:12 AM   #22
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
In an idea situation i would actually prefer the best metal working company making and finishing my watch, the best dial maker making the dial, the best movement maker making the movement, and the best leather worker making the strap. Its exceedingly hard to do under one roof as whoever is running the show cant have intimate knowledge of all these individual companies if they acquire them and make them one company.

This I totally agree with. The best of the best on every component and someone at the top to ensure it all comes together nicely.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 12:18 AM   #23
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

OP, 100% right decision each time on not accepting this. It's not good enough at this price point.

As to giving it another shot, I don't know. Sounds like this experience has highlighted some aspects of this model (the case) that you just don't think is good enough for ALS. If that's your takeaway from this experience then at least with this model you'll likely never get past it.

I say move on, but don't throw the L1 and Dato out with the Saxonia!
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 08:09 AM   #24
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Yes, I bought it from Francis at CH. Stopped by in Jan and saw it in display, no wait. Give them a call, they should still have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryptobphan View Post
If you don’t mind my asking, did you get your Saxonia Thin through CH Jewelers at Valley Fair in San Jose?

I ordered the Saxonia Thin 37mm months ago as well but mine has not arrived. No word from the AD regarding the status either. It’s been quite frustrating. How long did you wait until it first arrived?
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote