The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 June 2019, 07:28 PM   #1
kevlar
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster Tin Tin Value

Hi all - I bought my Speedmaster 'Tin Tin' about 18 months ago, was going to buy a 'standard' moon watch, but decided on this very last minute.

It really has grown on me I wear it most days and love it I have many nato's I use with it, seem's to fly under the radar as well I think most non watch people know what it is....or even care!.

Any way to the point....well before I get there i'm not considering selling it, so my question is has the value gone up over the last year chrono24 prices seems to have doubled from what I paid for mine - never used chrono 24, but are the prices massively inflated? I never really see any pop up on ebay for sell.

Just wanted to get a feel for what's happening value wise, i'm quite sad and I do baby my sub it's an expensive item for me and i'm thinking do I need to leave the speedy at home a bit more and also do I need to up the value on my insurance for it?

Cheers.
kevlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 10:29 PM   #2
ree7
"TRF" Member

From what I've seen, ever since it was made known that less than 2000pcs exist, the 'Tintin' value rises to nearing other nice +-2000pcs LE's prices, such as Gemini, SpeedyTuesday, Ultraman etc.
ree7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 10:30 PM   #3
kevlar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree7 View Post
From what I've seen, ever since it was made known that less than 2000pcs exist, the 'Tintin' value rises to nearing other nice +-2000pcs LE's prices, such as Gemini, SpeedyTuesday, Ultraman etc.
Very interesting...better up my insurance for it then...
Old 28 June 2019, 10:59 PM   #4
kevlar
"TRF" Member

Just to update on the omega forum found a thread which shows exactly the prices have gone up a fair bit, thanks for the reply.
Old 7 August 2020, 07:09 PM   #5
SeeDweller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5212 (blasphemy!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
Just to update on the omega forum found a thread which shows exactly the prices have gone up a fair bit, thanks for the reply.
Do you have a link for that price list?
Would be great!
(Feel free to PM me...)

Stay healthy!!
'21 116506 (Daytona, Blue dial)..|..... '22 116508 (Daytona, Green dial)
'21 126619LB (Submariner, Blue) ...|... '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still trying to scratch that itch!.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 10:07 PM   #6
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

The tin tin is certainly a beautiful watch but I personally don’t consider 2000, limited edition!
Omega’s problem is the so many LEs it comes out with, diluting the value of what truly is LE which to me would be MAX under 1000 pieces!
Old 8 August 2020, 12:14 AM   #7
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
The tin tin is certainly a beautiful watch but I personally don’t consider 2000, limited edition!
Omega’s problem is the so many LEs it comes out with, diluting the value of what truly is LE which to me would be MAX under 1000 pieces!
Except the sliver snoopy which there is only 1970 examples, is over your 1k limit. From the prices I have seen (asking ones at least) these are now up in the mid to high 30k’s. This from a watch that sold with discount in the 5-6k range. You can even look at the old for sale threads on here.

Sorry, but just 1,970 examples in a world of billions of people and likely billions of watches... this is pretty limited.

Even at 2k examples (tintin) that’s pretty rare.

But I do agree that Omega does way too many ‘LEs’.

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 02:21 AM   #8
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttomczak View Post
Except the sliver snoopy which there is only 1970 examples, is over your 1k limit. From the prices I have seen (asking ones at least) these are now up in the mid to high 30k’s. This from a watch that sold with discount in the 5-6k range. You can even look at the old for sale threads on here.

Sorry, but just 1,970 examples in a world of billions of people and likely billions of watches... this is pretty limited.

Even at 2k examples (tintin) that’s pretty rare.

But I do agree that Omega does way too many ‘LEs’.
So when you combine a highly desired watch (design, contrast, proportions.......etc) and make it in 2000 pieces or unlimited 100,000+piece (ie SS White daytona) people still want it and will pay the premium to get it
So in the snoopy case (and I foresee some of the Tokyo olympics to follow the dame trend) it’s not just the “limited” number but it’s the aesthetics and desirability of the watch itself.
Omega came out with so many LEs that are now selling for under MSRP, supporting my earlier point!