The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 28 March 2017, 12:08 AM   #1
JoeG74536
"TRF" Member

Seeking input for first Omega Seamaster

I've recently been looking at divers. I had my heart dead set on a no date Sub, almost pulled the trigger two weeks ago in fact. After not buying the Sub I did a little more looking and research. I came across the Planet Ocean ( Ref. 215.30.40.20.01.001) and I must admit it is signing to me. I've never had a Omega before, seen plenty of pretty pieces such as the Speedy and other Seamasters but I always kept going back to the Sub until I ran across the Planet Ocean with the above Ref. Not that I know a whole awful lot about Rolex watches but I know a whole lot of nothing about The Seamaster and Omega for that matter. I know their are a very very well thought of brand and make quality pieces. What about the Seamaster ? Everyone and their brother has a Sub. I cannot recall ever seeing anyone wearing the Planet Ocean, which I actually like better at this point. What can I expect to pay for one is extremely good condition? Any Omega buffs on the forum feel free to jump in and add information.
JoeG74536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 12:29 AM   #2
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

I have a limited edition 007 seamaster, a speedmaster pro, and 3 rolexes. I never wear the 007. If I were you, I would buy the sub and never an omega. After having Rolex, it's getting hard to get back to the omegas, even the speedy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 March 2017, 12:53 AM   #3
E1286W
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD/EXP II/SUB
I just sold my Omega Seamaster Professional (21330424001001). I HATED the clasp... It would constantly come off. I went to the Omega boutique where i purchased it several times to have them take a look. Each time they tried to get me to buy a new clasp and said it wasn't covered under the warranty. Eventually i gave up and stopped wearing it.

I purchased a DSSD and never looked back.
E1286W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 02:51 AM   #4
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
I recently purchased the Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-axial and it is without a doubt one of my favorite watches. I also chose it over the 114060 for the "no date" diver in my collection. It has garnered 95% of the wrist time in the last six weeks while my WG Sub 116619 sits in the watch box.

The game changer for me is the micro-adjustable clasp. I have owned a few Planet Oceans (8500) in the past and always traded them away quickly because they were uncomfortable. The 300MC (and the new POs) have the new clasp with Omega's version of Glidelock and it is brilliant.

Everything about this watch appeals to my aesthetic sensibilities and the design is timeless. It looked great in 1957 and it looks great today. Truly a "vintage" watch with all the modern tech that you could ever ask for. I highly recommend it!

Old 28 March 2017, 03:34 AM   #5
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E1286W View Post
I just sold my Omega Seamaster Professional (21330424001001). I HATED the clasp... It would constantly come off. I went to the Omega boutique where i purchased it several times to have them take a look. Each time they tried to get me to buy a new clasp and said it wasn't covered under the warranty. Eventually i gave up and stopped wearing it.

I purchased a DSSD and never looked back.

100%! Happened with me too. Rolex is in a different league

Old 28 March 2017, 03:44 AM   #6
Shay-J
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Rolex is a different beast altogether, the Omega's are more of a fashion piece, apart from the 2254.50.00, that was a good piece. I can't see how the new PO's can stand the test of time and look good in 20 years time. Plus they don't hold value, I've lost a fortune over the years with omega.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Shay-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 07:32 AM   #7
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
My Planet Ocean 2500, 42mm is a great watch, the bracelet, the clasp, timekeeping, and the aesthetics all are first rate in my book. I also have a Sub 14060m, a fine watch too, but I wear my PO more often (although I don't wear ANY watch as much as my Explorer!)
And I really like the Seamaster 300 as well, a rugged looking watch, a good history and by all accounts reliable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (111.7 KB, 445 views)
Old 28 March 2017, 07:59 AM   #8
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
Get the 2913 re-issue that was just announced!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1577.jpg (56.3 KB, 443 views)
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 08:25 AM   #9
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Just moved my last Rolex.

I prefer Omega. I've basically got one for every occasion at this point.

Difference in quality? Cmon...

Preference maybe. But no discernible difference in quality.

But Rolex has the name. Some people prefer that.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 08:51 AM   #10
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
i agree that its very hard to go back to Omega after Rolex,,,
i have owned a Bond seamaster,,great little watch and a 44 or 45mm Planet ocean that was very heavy and i feel out of love with the orange bezel pretty quickly also,
Really liked the "skyfall" special edition but it would have just sat in the safe,,,
good luck op,,,,,,jasonp
Rolex everytime,,,,,jay
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 08:56 AM   #11
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Forget it and get the Sub.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 09:23 AM   #12
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus09 View Post
100%! Happened with me too. Rolex is in a different league

Let's not kid ourselves here. What 'league' is Rolex in that is so above and beyond over Omega? Both brands are famous. Both brands have been in Bond films. Both brands are reliable and have a long respected history in horology. They are both very good watches and very much in the same league. Sorry, but Rolex is not Patek or A. Lange & Söhne.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 09:30 AM   #13
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
If you want the sub and think Omega will suffice, you're wrong, if you truly like the Omega then pull the trigger. They are very unique despite their similar intentions and purpose.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 01:48 PM   #14
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Seeking input for first Omega Seamaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
Let's not kid ourselves here. What 'league' is Rolex in that is so above and beyond over Omega? Both brands are famous. Both brands have been in Bond films. Both brands are reliable and have a long respected history in horology. They are both very good watches and very much in the same league. Sorry, but Rolex is not Patek or A. Lange & Söhne.

I have both watches and I know what I'm talking about. I had other omegas too and got rid of them for a reason. Like the aqua terra co axial: I once dropped it from 1m in the tub... it stopped working! If that's a reliability... well something's not right. I'll say it again and again: Rolex is in a different league than omega that is trying to be Rolex since ever. Omega is just a luxury swatch that's all. You have to use and feel a Rolex to know what I'm talking about, and I'm sure what that is. Oh and 1 more thing... Rolex practically invented every feature in a luxury modern watch; I'm also sure you're aware of that.
I'll never, EVER, but an omega again! Rolex, 100%

Old 28 March 2017, 10:13 PM   #15
slorollin
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer pints & quarts
I own both and the difference, IMO is simply style and marketing approach. You can throw Breitling into that category too. For every Marcus with a chip on his shoulder that knows what he's talking about, there's a slorollin that's amazed.
Old 28 March 2017, 11:31 PM   #16
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Forget it and get the Sub.

Agree 1000%

Forget about the PO or any Omega and get the Rolex...

Down the road, if you still like the Omega , pick one up pre-owned at the proper price...not a penny more.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 12:39 AM   #17
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

Agree 1000%

Forget about the PO or any Omega and get the Rolex...

Down the road, if you still like the Omega , pick one up pre-owned at the proper price...not a penny more.
Well, I think you got me wrong and I wouldn't go that far my friend. I'm a huge Omega fan and my first vintage Constellation was bought twenty five years ago. The timekeeping on every Seamaster I had was as good as Rolex if not better. Truth is, the Sub-C is absolutely perfect for me in every possible way. It's not Rolex in general, just the Sub-C.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 01:55 AM   #18
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorollin View Post
I own both and the difference, IMO is simply style and marketing approach. You can throw Breitling into that category too. For every Marcus with a chip on his shoulder that knows what he's talking about, there's a slorollin that's amazed.

Be prepared to be more and more amazed my good friend. It's like getting amazed that cars have 4 wheels. Rolex fans all know what they're talking about and they surely know that Breitling do not fall in Rolex category, maybe omega but surely not Rolex. People are saying Lange & Söhne is better than Rolex. How can that be even compared to Rolex?? It's like comparing Ferrari to rolls Royce. They're not even the same categories. One is pure classic the other sports.
IMO it's not just looks and marketing my friend, it's quantity vs. quality, diversity vs. perfection, funky vs. beauty, and this can go on forever. At Baselworld 2017, omega introduced 141 new models! Really??? What is this? The new Swatch collection? $1000 was the max amount I could get for any omega I sold, heck, in my country, an iPhone costs more than that.
Believe me, I wouldn't say all this if I haven't seen and still seeing the difference between the 2 brands.
Cheers

Old 29 March 2017, 02:47 AM   #19
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Be prepared to be more and more amazed my good friend. It's like getting amazed that cars have 4 wheels. Rolex fans all know what they're talking about and they surely know that Breitling do not fall in Rolex category, maybe omega but surely not Rolex. People are saying Lange & Söhne is better than Rolex. How can that be even compared to Rolex?? It's like comparing Ferrari to rolls Royce. They're not even the same categories. One is pure classic the other sports.
IMO it's not just looks and marketing my friend, it's quantity vs. quality, diversity vs. perfection, funky vs. beauty, and this can go on forever. At Baselworld 2017, omega introduced 141 new models! Really??? What is this? The new Swatch collection? $1000 was the max amount I could get for any omega I sold, heck, in my country, an iPhone costs more than that.
Believe me, I wouldn't say all this if I haven't seen and still seeing the difference between the 2 brands.
Cheers

The koolaid has been had with this one.

In all seriousness, I own my share of both brands and I can say the difference is definitely not quality but taste/marketing. If someone likes a SMP better than a sub, they are not liking an inferior watch....just different tastes. There is nothing that's magical like unicorn horn sprinkles inside a Rolex that's not in an Omega. Sorry to be the one to tell it to you.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 03:17 AM   #20
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cheers

Why can you not compare rolex to lange, but can compare rolex to omega. they all do the same thing. rolex's are not the do-all tool watch that they used to be, neither is omega, and we know lange isnt.... we are talking about luxury items here. when it comes down to it it is all preference because a casio watch from target will keep better time, be more durable, AND have more functions than any of the watches we spend $X,XXX+ on. just the truth....
Jhowton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 03:47 AM   #21
HOHO
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Blue
Glad nobody went off the deep end in this thread!

I have a Deep Sea Blue and have a new Omega P.O. on the way.

Very excited!
HOHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 05:01 AM   #22
Shay-J
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
My Planet Ocean 2500, 42mm is a great watch, the bracelet, the clasp, timekeeping, and the aesthetics all are first rate in my book. I also have a Sub 14060m, a fine watch too, but I wear my PO more often (although I don't wear ANY watch as much as my Explorer!)
And I really like the Seamaster 300 as well, a rugged looking watch, a good history and by all accounts reliable.

Just out of interest, which is explorer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Shay-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 05:39 AM   #23
hedet
"TRF" Member

Lol ignore the fanboys. Lots of people like both brands--because it really is more a matter of preference than quality.

I love my 8500 PO, but it's not for everyone. It is a bit thicker than many are comfortable with, but that doesn't bother me. I actually prefer it to the 2500 version that is thinner, as the ceramic bezel and more 3D dial adds to the beauty for me. I also love the big broad arrow hands. Great watch. The clasp can be switched out for the micro adjustable one also, so don't let that be a deal breaker. Used your looking at $3400ish for the 8500 and $2700ish for the 2500 depending on condition, etc. there's also a new 8900 version that is very bling and will run $4kish
hedet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 11:19 AM   #24
iaymnu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II/GMT2c
I feel the same way. Well said.

Quote:
I have a limited edition 007 seamaster, a speedmaster pro, and 3 rolexes. I never wear the 007. If I were you, I would buy the sub and never an omega. After having Rolex, it's getting hard to get back to the omegas, even the speedy

iaymnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 12:34 PM   #25
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Just moved my last Rolex.

I prefer Omega. I've basically got one for every occasion at this point.

Difference in quality? Cmon...

Preference maybe. But no discernible difference in quality.

But Rolex has the name. Some people prefer that.
This is a great response. I totally agree that there is no noticeable difference in quality between a modern Omega and a Rolex. I happily wear my PO everyday. The people who say there is a huge difference are blinded by the crown. The PO has a gorgeous applied logo, cool caseback, super clear crystal, and really has taken a beating. It doesn't bother me (this is anecdotal) but the cyclops is crooked on my GMT II... doesn't sound like a better league to me.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 12:57 PM   #26
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I've owned both. The omega wasn't my style and it wasn't comfortable. I also agree if you flip often that value is better on a Rolex. Any Rolex. I didn't notice a big difference in the fit and finish. Don't put too much stock in what I say though because I still like the square bell & ross on occasion and most think they are hideous.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 10:41 PM   #27
slorollin
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer pints & quarts
"It's like getting amazed that cars have 4 wheels."

Yep, we take them for granted, but they are pretty damn amazing.

Last edited by slorollin; 30 March 2017 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: .
slorollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 11:35 PM   #28
esscaster
"TRF" Member

I used to have that model. It's got more features than the Sub with display back, more water resistance, He valve, etc.

A big drawback is that it is quite thick, which I don't mind from an aesthetic point of view, but it gets caught up on things like jacket sleeves and doesn't fit over a cuff. Otherwise pretty bulletproof. I sold mine sheerly because of the weight. It's significantly heavier than the Sub.

I vastly prefer the Ti version 42mm, with the Blue Dial and Bezel
esscaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 01:16 AM   #29
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I can only speak from experience.

My dad bought me an Omega Seamaster Pro for my 21st birthday. It was my first 'proper' watch and I wore it religiously for nearly 10 years. It was the watch that I wore on my wedding day so you could say that it carried sentimental value.

As soon as I bought my Sub C it just didn't get a look in. As hard as a tried, it just couldn't compete with the mighty Sub so traded it towards a DJ.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Omega as a brand. I still own a vintage De Ville dress watch and my next purchase is looking increasing like a Speedmaster Pro (311.33.42.30.01.001) but given the choice OP - Go Rolex.

Think of it this way. You may be leaning towards the Omega now but what about in 10, 20, 30 years time?
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 03:34 AM   #30
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Why Zig When You Can Zag?

I think it's good to not blindly follow the sheep on any forum - you will end up just like them if you're not careful. Read what's said but make sure you visit multiple forums if that's how you best educate yourself to get diverse opinions and facts. Get the information you need and then make up your OWN mind.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote