The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 March 2017, 09:27 AM   #31
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanos View Post
Well, from the very beginning Hans Wilsdorf had not intended to build a complicated watch such as those made by the existing PP and Breguet at the time. In sum, Rolex and PP are just the best in their respective fields. That's all.
many would say Grand Seiko is better than Rolex in that field

lets not get to caught up into what really was 'marketing'....any tour of many brands would leave one with the same feeling......

and no. rolex is not haute horology. Rolex is the best in the world at marketing and have a world class watch but it plays on the same field as GS, Omega, Panerai etc....

i do admire your passion however
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 09:32 AM   #32
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Thanks.
I was unaware of that.

Just one thing though.
Who is Jake?
Jake Ehrlich, far left, with JD, BC and AA.

http://www.rolexmagazine.com/2014/02...ful-world.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (112.5 KB, 113 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 09:41 AM   #33
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I read a similar article about the Ferrari F1 factory. Oddly similar
Old 30 March 2017, 09:46 AM   #34
ivanos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post
many would say Grand Seiko is better than Rolex in that field

lets not get to caught up into what really was 'marketing'....any tour of many brands would leave one with the same feeling......

and no. rolex is not haute horology. Rolex is the best in the world at marketing and have a world class watch but it plays on the same field as GS, Omega, Panerai etc....

i do admire your passion however
Haha, my passion must be 90% transferred from Ben Clymer.

Anyway, however, I respectfully disagree on your point of the standing of GS. Many things just can't be bought by marketing.

Does GS mill its steel? what kind of steel does it use? 316L or 904L? does GS produce its own alloy? How much is the in-house degree of GS?

And, back to the users on the earth. How does GS's movement compare with Rolex? I've always received one kind of feedbacks from field users. That Rolex's 313X movement is the most CONSISTENTLY (important word. don't miss it) accurate and durable mechanical movement in the world.

We may ask more experts or watchmakers in the field on the comparison of Rolex and GS movement.

And oh! If we have the chance, let's ask Ben Clymer if he has also visited GS facilities too. I wish he can transfer the same amount of 'passion' to the readers.

PS. Just curious about GS's inventory system. wonder if it's also Star War-like and if there is iris scanners in the plants .
ivanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 09:48 AM   #35
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Haha, my passion must be 90% transferred from Ben Clymer.

Anyway, however, I respectfully disagree on your point of the standing of GS. Many things just can't be bought by marketing.

Does GS mill its steel? what kind of steel does it use? 316L or 904L? does GS produce its own alloy? How much is the in-house degree of GS?

And, back to the users on the earth. How does GS's movement compare with Rolex? I've always received one kind of feedbacks from field users. That Rolex's 313X movement is the most CONSISTENTLY (important word. don't miss it) accurate and durable mechanical movement in the world.

We may ask more experts or watchmakers in the field on the comparison of Rolex and GS movement.

And oh! If we have the chance, let's ask Ben Clymer if he has also visited GS facilities too. I wish he can distil the same amount of 'passion' to the readers.

PS. Just curious about GS's inventory system. wonder if it's also Star War-like and if there is iris scanners in the plants .

Ben Clymer is a huge fan of GS....Ben Clymer will acknowledge that GS is on par with Rolex.....

oh...you didn't know....

don't be foolish. your ignorance is obvious but i admire your passion for Rolex

anyways..heres one of a few GS article's by Ben Clymer...in this one he acknowledges the GS GMT and Rolex GMT has the top 2 GMTs on the market....pay attention to GS being referred to as 'High Horology'....

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ha...ith-green-dial
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 09:57 AM   #36
ivanos
"TRF" Member

lol

anyhow, thanks for your reply.
Old 30 March 2017, 10:02 AM   #37
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Great write up. Just wish rolex would open their doors to their customers the way brands like AP does so we all could see the magic first hand.
If they did that it would be like the great wizard of Oz pulling back the curtain. They would loose all the mystique they have worked so hard to market and create. Not hating as I love all 3 of mine and will certainly buy more but facts is facts.

To know the future is to be trapped by it
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 10:16 AM   #38
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
As a GS fan and admirer, I get a kick out of the regular anti Seiko sentiment that plagues TRF.
While I'm waiting, for years, to get the chance to pay (then inflated) MSRP for a new Daytona, I really think I might pick up the new version of the GS GMT Chrono. I bet I can get it for 10% off within a few weeks. Maybe it's on the shelf now? There's something to be said for flying under the radar and rocking stealth luxury.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 10:29 AM   #39
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
And oh! If we have the chance, let's ask Ben Clymer if he has also visited GS facilities too.
No need to ask...

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/inside-seiko

"...where the widely revered Grand Seiko takes shape. While the operations here don't appear dissimilar to the manufactures we're used to seeing in places like Le Brassus or La Chaux-de-Fonds (a watchmaker bent over his work is a watchmaker bent over his work, after all), maybe what is slightly more apparent is the immense pride watchmakers here take in their work..."
Old 30 March 2017, 10:31 AM   #40
ivanos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
As a GS fan and admirer, I get a kick out of the regular anti Seiko sentiment that plagues TRF.
While I'm waiting, for years, to get the chance to pay (then inflated) MSRP for a new Daytona, I really think I might pick up the new version of the GS GMT Chrono. I bet I can get it for 10% off within a few weeks. Maybe it's on the shelf now? There's something to be said for flying under the radar and rocking stealth luxury.
First there is anti-Rolex sentiment, which in turn triggers anti Seiko sentiment, and on and on..
Old 30 March 2017, 10:32 AM   #41
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Thanks for posting I must have missed it the first time around! Awesome article!
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 10:39 AM   #42
ivanos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
No need to ask...

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/inside-seiko

"...where the widely revered Grand Seiko takes shape. While the operations here don't appear dissimilar to the manufactures we're used to seeing in places like Le Brassus or La Chaux-de-Fonds (a watchmaker bent over his work is a watchmaker bent over his work, after all), maybe what is slightly more apparent is the immense pride watchmakers here take in their work..."
Thanks for sharing. I've glanced over it before. Also the YouTube video, which is fantastic camera work. Just not sure whether Ben Clymer is one of the visitors.

Btw. Do you feel the "passion"?
Old 30 March 2017, 10:40 AM   #43
ivanos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO1 View Post
Thanks for posting I must have missed it the first time around! Awesome article!
Enjoy
Old 30 March 2017, 10:43 AM   #44
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I don't think there's a lot of anti Rolex ignorance on the Rolex forums. But I've only been here for around 8 years, what do I know.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 10:46 AM   #45
ivanos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
I don't think there's a lot of anti Rolex ignorance on the Rolex forums. But I've only been here for around 8 years, what do I know.
Did you observe one in this thread? Another rare example over the past eight years?
Old 30 March 2017, 10:49 AM   #46
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I've glanced over it before. Also the YouTube video, which is fantastic camera work. Just not sure whether Ben Clymer is one of the visitors.

Btw. Do you feel the "passion"?
Yes, absolutely. The employees spoke for themselves in the film, which I think is significant.
Old 30 March 2017, 01:38 PM   #47
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiicustomz View Post
If they did that it would be like the great wizard of Oz pulling back the curtain. They would loose all the mystique they have worked so hard to market and create. Not hating as I love all 3 of mine and will certainly buy more but facts is facts.

Very true I just wish Rolex did more for their customers. Buy 10+ Rolexes and get a few Rolex branded items. On the other hand AP will treat you like a true luxury brand should. Trips to le brassus Switzerland for private tours of the museum and manufacture (my avatar), trips to Miami to meet Lebron (when he was an ambassador), trips to NY to meet Serina Williams, launch parties, golf events, celebrity events etc. they even send personalized holiday cards every year and even do simple things like invite you to lunch or dinner when they are in town.

I'm sure a lot of it is that Rolex doesn't have to do these things to sell watches because of the marketing machine but I can tell you it goes a long way when buying luxury goods. That being said I still buy rolexes. Haha
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 01:44 PM   #48
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Jake Ehrlich, far left, with JD, BC and AA.

http://www.rolexmagazine.com/2014/02...ful-world.html
Thanks
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 08:19 PM   #49
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
Quote:
Very true I just wish Rolex did more for their customers. Buy 10+ Rolexes and get a few Rolex branded items. On the other hand AP will treat you like a true luxury brand should. Trips to le brassus Switzerland for private tours of the museum and manufacture (my avatar), trips to Miami to meet Lebron (when he was an ambassador), trips to NY to meet Serina Williams, launch parties, golf events, celebrity events etc. they even send personalized holiday cards every year and even do simple things like invite you to lunch or dinner when they are in town.

I'm sure a lot of it is that Rolex doesn't have to do these things to sell watches because of the marketing machine but I can tell you it goes a long way when buying luxury goods. That being said I still buy rolexes. Haha
And I get that, but as you say, they don't need to to sell watches. They don't finish their movements to the same degree as AP, PP, GP, ALS, etc. They don't offer the complications or the same stunning dials. What they do offer is a SOLID watch, grounded in history, built like a tank, and more than accurate enough for 99%+ of the population. Their bread and butter, meat and potatoes are SS sport models and DateJust. They don't have 5+ offerings over $100k like PP, ALS, VC, etc., they are an iconic tool watch. Snap-on, Mac, Matco, etc have never invited me to tours, dinners, celebrity meet and greets, etc. and I have more than a few of their tools. Rolex wasn't founded in luxury, they were founded in form meets function. They have evolved to a luxury status despite their products not being on the same level of luxury based brands like the ones aforementioned. Just my $.02

jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 09:51 PM   #50
ivanos
"TRF" Member

Granted. Rolex is not worn by the generations of kings or queens or popes or nobles. It's worn by some US presidents or British PM who fought the war or a bunch of millionaire industrialists or billionaires who start from scratch.
Old 31 March 2017, 12:40 AM   #51
SilverBack_
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi Z
Great read. I would love a tour!
SilverBack_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 03:04 AM   #52
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

Great read indeed, thanks for posting!
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 04:55 AM   #53
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:

Sounds like amazing treatment Fromm AP. In my mind, customer service is a big part of what separates a luxury brand from one that just makes a good product. It's the one area that I think Rolex could improve the most.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote