The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2017, 04:09 AM   #91
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

I will buy the new SD - but I must gain 30kg first.

* off to McDonald's *
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:17 AM   #92
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
I contend for every would-be buyer or forum member that says they hate it, there's an equal person that says they love it! As a Sub owner (3 times over), a SD (1 time) and DSSD (2 times) for many, many years, I personally have been dying for this watch to be made. Sub is a little too small on me, yet the DSSD is a little too thick for my tastes for every day use. Trust me, I've been going back & forth between these watches for years, all are really, really good, but not perfect (for me).

For guys in my boat (and I'm sure there are tons), this SD makes perfect sense. The debate between price vs size is pointless IMO as I think most will buy what size feels best on their wrist.

If aver Joe Buyer walks in to an AD and thinks a Sub looks perfect, then he's going to be double happy it's less $$$ than the SD. But if same buyer thinks it looks too small, but loves the size of the SD, then I hardly doubt a few grand more is really doing to turn him off. Same applies to the DSSD.

So once again I say Kudos to Rolex for FINALLY providing a size option between the Sub & DSSD. As the OP correctly stated, makes perfect sense!
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:20 AM   #93
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostWriter View Post
The cyclops kills it for me. Otherwise I might have considered it.
What he said.
imperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:22 AM   #94
chris975d
"TRF" Member

If you guys think the new SD is a bad idea, talk to an AD today. I've communicated with 3, one of which is "my" AD, and preorders/names on a list are huge for this. So it seems quite a few people want it, despite the disappointment on this forum. I'd say Rolex knows what they are doing.
chris975d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:25 AM   #95
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I agree with you.
Old 23 March 2017, 04:25 AM   #96
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
I contend for every would-be buyer or forum member that says they hate it, there's an equal person that says they love it! As a Sub owner (3 times over), a SD (1 time) and DSSD (2 times) for many, many years, I personally have been dying for this watch to be made. Sub is a little too small on me, yet the DSSD is a little too thick for my tastes for every day use. Trust me, I've been going back & forth between these watches for years, all are really, really good, but not perfect (for me).

For guys in my boat (and I'm sure there are tons), this SD makes perfect sense. The debate between price vs size is pointless IMO as I think most will buy what size feels best on their wrist.

If aver Joe Buyer walks in to an AD and thinks a Sub looks perfect, then he's going to be double happy it's less $$$ than the SD. But if same buyer thinks it looks too small, but loves the size of the SD, then I hardly doubt a few grand more is really doing to turn him off. Same applies to the DSSD.

So once again I say Kudos to Rolex for FINALLY providing a size option between the Sub & DSSD. As the OP correctly stated, makes perfect sense!

Right on !!
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:26 AM   #97
BadBoyR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubsGMTsSDsYM2DJ41
I knew this was coming and i was right. I want one like today.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
BadBoyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:28 AM   #98
lawrenceb
2024 Pledge Member

New SD will be smoking hot and very hard to get. For the first time Rolex has paid proper homage to a vintage model.
Cyclops is easily removed and can be reinstalled just as easily.
Watches evolve and for once Rolex hit a homerun..
lawrenceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:33 AM   #99
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
The new SD makes perfect sense...lets all be honest

Put a deposit down today 1st on the list and it's not BS. They had several calls but no deposit yet so I'm #1. I can't wait. But with an 8" wrist will be perfect for me. I know people claim about these lists all the time but it's a reputable dealer I have a relationship with so I'm so excited. I have a DSSD but I never wear it. It was a graduation gift but it might be gone. Depending on the watch finds when the SD comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:38 AM   #100
BadBoyR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubsGMTsSDsYM2DJ41
Dealer taking a deposit for something they don't know of yet?

BadBoyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:42 AM   #101
Will1979
"TRF" Member

I'm disappointed, but for me it's more of a naming issue. As others have said, this is more like a Submariner Deep Sea than it is a Sea-Dweller. The things that defined Sea-Dweller for me personally are mostly gone now.
Will1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:44 AM   #102
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
Dealer taking a deposit for something they don't know of yet?

What do you mean? It's on the Rolex website with the MSRP ...I think they "know of it"
Old 23 March 2017, 04:46 AM   #103
nafkha
"TRF" Member

I understand that some people prefer watches without cyclope. However, it is one of the main symbols of Rolex genius. If they didn't have cyclope on Sea-Dweller, it it wouldn't resist the high pressure. Now they put the cyclope, I assume they invented a system that would allow the cyclope to resist high pressure, which would be a great achievement for Rolex.
If that is the case, I think Rolex is not getting enough credit for this achievement...
nafkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:47 AM   #104
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I waited to pull the trigger on a Deep Blue till after Basel in the hopes of this watch or something like it. The big negative and reason for waiting for me was the height of the DSSD case, not the overall width.

At the same dimensional width but not as top heavy as the DSSD the new SD 43 should be perfect for daily wear. My favorite aspect of the D-Blue over the standard DSSD is obliviously the dial. I was hoping Rolex would incorporate 50th anniversary green in the new SD somewhere (dial, bezel, text) and left the cyclops off.

IMO these additions or subtractions would have been the perfect version of new SD but or now close is perfect enough. Glad I got with my local AD in January to insure I was the first in line for one if and when they are released.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:50 AM   #105
bsprtsgrp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub, GMT II
I'm #2 on my AD's list. I have an email into a contact I have at Rolex to find out when they will be actually releasing the new SD. As soon as I know I'll post it.

I have an 8" wrist and my daily driver is my 42MM Explorer II. I have tried on the DSSD and found it to be a little much (thickness). Rolex did well with this release in my opinion. It definitely fills the gap between the Sub and the DSSD nicely.
216570 Explorer II
126600 SD 50th
bsprtsgrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:51 AM   #106
BadgerHawk
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Does anybody know the thickness of this new SD? How does it compare to the DSSD and the SD4K?
BadgerHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:52 AM   #107
Monsta
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep sea black
i think it's great for the big wrist crowd.
Monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:54 AM   #108
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

It's great for the 8"+ wrist crowd...and I'm already dreading the "Is this too big?" threads from the under 8" wrist crowd.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:55 AM   #109
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerHawk View Post
Does anybody know the thickness of this new SD? How does it compare to the DSSD and the SD4K?
I see no reason to be thicker than the SD4k. Nothing changed to the depth rating.
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 05:02 AM   #110
Xerxes77
Banned

Maybe the cyclop lence it's not a very good ideea, but I agree, buyers want an oversize Rolex!
So with the new SD, Rolex give to buyers a watch there are iconic (Submariner) but responde to demande for oversize watch and do it with 43 mm of the new SD!
For me work, I want it....
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 05:08 AM   #111
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerHawk View Post
I'm also curious about the Glidelock. Is it Sub or DSSD version? I prefer the DSSD as you can micro adjust without removing from wrist, but Sub GL is still damn good. I just haven't seen any info on specific GL on the new SD. Anyone know for sure?
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 05:18 AM   #112
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
The new SD is a an effort reaching out to a segment of the market torn between the DSSD and Sub. It caters for those who like a bigger diver Rolex watch without the extra thickness of the DSSD. Also i like the idea of the cyclops. My favorite Basel release.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 05:23 AM   #113
Dale.Cooper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Good point a 3235 powered 40mm red line SD4K would've have crushed it, especially if it came with a version of the DSSD Glidelock and if it came out before the Sub received 3235. Then again what's the point of purposely making a watch less attractive for the sake of it

Oh well it is what it is now. Just wished they would've at least kept the matte dial and lack of cyclops so it doesn't look as much like a Sub "knock off"
I would have considered the watch you describe new. Now, I will go with a used SUBC or a used SD4K matte dial. No way I am purchasing this, even on the second hand market. But I'm fairly conservative and increasingly finding I am not Rolex's target market.
Dale.Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 05:26 AM   #114
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale.Cooper View Post
I would have considered the watch you describe new. Now, I will go with a used SUBC or a used SD4K matte dial. No way I am purchasing this, even on the second hand market. But I'm fairly conservative and increasingly finding I am not Rolex's target market.
I'm not sure looking at the SubC or SD4K would be considered conservative. You'd at least need to go back to a 16610.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 05:29 AM   #115
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
I'm also curious about the Glidelock. Is it Sub or DSSD version? I prefer the DSSD as you can micro adjust without removing from wrist, but Sub GL is still damn good. I just haven't seen any info on specific GL on the new SD. Anyone know for sure?
Glidelock with fliplock clasp ala Sub C and SD4K.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 05:31 AM   #116
capacitance
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k, BLNR, PAM233
Then does that mean the next anniversary of the Submariner will be missing a cyclops and have a spash of red paint? Love the size and the red lettering makes some sense, but the logic of the cyclops for a watch that typically did not have it? I scratch my head in wonder. Seems like an afterthought.
capacitance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 05:31 AM   #117
marcopome
"TRF" Member

The new SD is no longer a traditional SD, they could have named it Submariner II...
ugly the Ciclope on a SD
ugly the 43mm size
ridiculous the link with the RED '70.
This is the end of an historical model.

PS....the 116600 has been produced for only 3 years...never happened before for a Rolex watch...

Now....WHO IS THE REAL 50th SD???

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro
marcopome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 05:31 AM   #118
subx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The new SD is the modern Submariner. The competition has been doing the 42-44mm size for years with a higher WR. This is just another acknowledgment from Rolex that the new norm for sport/dive watches are 42-45mm. Rolex is doing with the SD what Omega did years ago with the release of the original all new Planet Ocean. Bravo Rolex as the new SD will poach significantly from the current SS Sub and DSSD buyers.
couldn't agree more ;)
subx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 05:33 AM   #119
bsprtsgrp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub, GMT II
Quote:
"The new Rolex Sea-Dweller's 904L Oyster bracelet is fitted with an Oysterlock safety clasp, Fliplock extension system for an added 26mm of reach along with the Rolex Glidelock system for 2mm-increment fine adjustments over a distance of 20mm"
216570 Explorer II
126600 SD 50th
bsprtsgrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 05:37 AM   #120
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Delete