The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2017, 10:01 AM   #61
Tonneau1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfromleeds View Post
I've just seen pics of the new seadweller and I Carnt believe my eyes !
What have they done , the 43mm case is way too big and the date magnification bubble ? On a seadweller ? Oh my lord it just looks like a bamford watch ! History and heritage thrown down the pan ! Was it that hard to make a 50th anniversary watch ! No just change the dial by adding red writing like the the old double red seadwellers , nothing more nothing less .

Well done Rolex for a disasterious watch ! And you probly cost bamford a fortune in the making !
you lost me at "thrown down the pan". Where is that?
Tonneau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 10:04 AM   #62
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonneau1 View Post
you lost me at "thrown down the pan". Where is that?
Hublot HQ.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 10:07 AM   #63
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbombkid View Post
I like the look and seems cool, but I don't think I would spend 3k extra when it looks so close to a sub. I love my Sub C, but just not worth it for a wording in red and an additional 36 minute markers on the bezel.

I wonder how many people will be of the same thought?
I hear ya, and based on your pic, the Sub looks great on you, so no need to go bigger. If my Sub didn't look smallish on my wrist, I would be stoked to save $3K and walk away from a SD43.

But I'm sure there are plenty of people like me that very much need a slightly bigger watch, and for those people, the extra $3K will only sting for a little bit...then every time they look down and see a perfectly proportioned sized Rolex diver on their wrist the extra cost will be long forgotten.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 10:08 AM   #64
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
I'm a five digit reference guy and I want one.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 10:09 AM   #65
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What have they done , the 43mm case is way too big and the date magnification bubble ? On a seadweller ? Oh my lord it just looks like a bamford watch ! History and heritage thrown down the pan ! Was it that hard to make a 50th anniversary watch ! No just change the dial by adding red writing like the the old double red seadwellers , nothing more nothing less .

Well done Rolex for a disasterious watch ! And you probly cost bamford a fortune in the making !

For WIS who make up less than 1% of Rolex sales, it's a sad day! For Rolex and the 99% it's a fantastic SubC on steroids option where many have been waiting for a larger diver from Rolex.

If you don't like it, but the DS4K or the iconic SubC ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 10:20 AM   #66
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaotter View Post

Attachment 843253
The lugs & crown guard are nice in proportion by the Sea-Dweller 43.
To say honestly much better than the Submariner 😚😱😰
I agree. If someone put a gun to my head and said I had to choose one & only one watch to wear for the rest of my life it would be the SubC. Yes I would think it looks a tab small on my wrist and the lugs are definitely "less polished" than previous models, but it is the best all-arounder I've owned and the visual detractors are not monumental to me.

But putting these pics side by side just shows me how much better looking the SD43 is IMO. It's just icing on my cake that it's falls in-between the SubC & DSSD on diameter & thickness...my dream watch is now reality.
Old 29 March 2017, 10:28 AM   #67
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Is no one concerned that it looks like the cyclops is a cover for actually using a too small of movement and the date is too far towards the center like some off the shelf parts catalog watch? We wont know till its in hand but this could be a lazy arse attempt parts bin watch and a stain on Rolex if it is. Otherwise is the fit is right and the aesthetics look great in person- I will have to have one!
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 10:29 AM   #68
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawli View Post
For WIS who make up less than 1% of Rolex sales, it's a sad day!
I'm a WIS (and have been for 30+ yrs) and I'm estastic...literally my happiest Basel EVER. I still don't see how some think WIS = ZERO change & anti-evolution?!?! That's actually anti-WIS.

By definition us WIS know way too much about watches...and a HUGE part of that knowledge is breaking down minor (and major) changes of watches over the decades. A true WIS embraces change as it's just another excuse to add to their mental library of differences associated with different model #'s & the years they were produced.
Old 29 March 2017, 10:32 AM   #69
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Say what you will, but this SD will out sell the previous generation by a long shot. They've already got my order
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 10:44 AM   #70
Seaotter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbombkid View Post
I like the look and seems cool, but I don't think I would spend 3k extra when it looks so close to a sub. I love my Sub C, but just not worth it for a wording in red and an additional 36 minute markers on the bezel.

I wonder how many people will be of the same thought?
The additional 36 minute markers = "Retro Style" tribute to the past.
Something Extra for the Professional dive watch like its very Professional predecessor the Submariner British Military Rolex.

This is a Tool watch !
4390915171c4557b93b019ef66ee9d4b.jpg
Seaotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 10:45 AM   #71
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

How much history and heritage is in that 43mm DSSD you have?

That said, I love it. I'm actually excited to purchase a Rolex again.
Old 29 March 2017, 10:51 AM   #72
lhawli
"TRF" Member

The new seadweller is pants !

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
I'm a WIS (and have been for 30+ yrs) and I'm estastic...literally my happiest Basel EVER. I still don't see how some think WIS = ZERO change & anti-evolution?!?! That's actually anti-WIS.

By definition us WIS know way too much about watches...and a HUGE part of that knowledge is breaking down minor (and major) changes of watches over the decades. A true WIS embraces change as it's just another excuse to add to their mental library of differences associated with different model #'s & the years they were produced.

I should have said "may" be a sad day! I'm all for change :)

I was just trying to make the point that members of forums don't make up much of the overall Rolex or any other brand sales and market research. Rolex is in the business because they make what sells.

Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 07:14 PM   #73
Toivonen
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller Deepsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
I'm anti cyclops on a SD. Kills it for me.
https://www.facebook.com/bandadellavalvola/
http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=75294392
Toivonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 10:56 PM   #74
blackbard
Banned

Excellent Post

Quote:
If they would have done that, I would be writing a rant like yours but for opposite reasons. I applaud Rolex for FINALLY having some balls and not playing it safe by simply slapping some red text on the dial and calling it a "new" SD.

The SD has been the perfect candidate since 2008 for change and offering something in between the Sub & DSSD...it very much needed to be broken out of the shadow of the Sub. That breakout was something I think they missed w/ the SD4K a few years ago. I've got no issues w/ the SD4K other than the fact that I think Rolex played it too safe and didn't make the right call, instead essentially providing a status quo watch that we had for almost 50 yrs. I'm glad they owned that mistake and didn't let 10+ years go before doing the design change they should have done 4 yrs ago.

Kudos Rolex for finally providing a watch to us long-time loyal customers that actually wanted a bigger diver...loyal customers that have owned multiple Subs, SD & DSSD, yet none really being the perfect watch. You don't have to be some "new to Rolex" customer or non-WIS to love the new SD43...I'm a purist in many regards (hate frankenwatches, and love history of past models), but also won't apologize for admitting that sometimes change isn't a bad thing when it's very much overdue.

For some reason on this forum the word "purists" has turned into "I NEVER want to embrace evolution!" You can still love the proud history of past iterations of SDs...this is just another chapter. I contend anyone screaming that the new SD is now ruined is a complete hypocrite. Why? Because unless you're sporting a 1967 SD, your beloved "real" SD is very different from past iterations. Why is a transition from a plexi lens to sapphire okay? Why is an increase in depth rating okay? Why are all the different iterations of dials, fonts, hands, lume, lug & crown guards, bezel material, bracelets, clasps and movements okay...yet now the case growing a few mm and a cyclops applied NOT okay? See the hypocrisy glowing bright as the sun?

Indeed!
blackbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 10:57 PM   #75
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Say what you will, but this SD will out sell the previous generation by a long shot. They've already got my order
D Blue and this will make a real power pair, Brian.
Old 29 March 2017, 10:59 PM   #76
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I like it. Would never have bought an old one but this I might.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 11:03 PM   #77
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
So, is "pants" a bad thing?
Brit slang speak (or so I have learned) for something that is no good.
Somewhat confusingly, pants in the UK also refers to underwear!

In Aus, pants = trousers
Old 29 March 2017, 11:15 PM   #78
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
...same old story here. blah blah blah what were Rolex thinking making this junk?! it will never sell...only rappers will buy it yadda yadda yadda..

and when they're out...oh my gawd we luv it! look at me...I bought two...one to wear and one for the safe as its a future classic!

haha...
Old 29 March 2017, 11:21 PM   #79
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I love the beast, on picture. I reserve my final judgement upon meeting it in the metal.

It's the Sub/SD I've always wanted :
- larger size (although 40mm is fine),
- tapered lugs (this is a deal breaker for me, I dislike the six digits Sub lugs, one of the reasons I bought a YM),
- red lettering (cool vintage touch),
- 3235 (at last in a sports model).

Cyclops is not ideal but not a deal breaker for me. I'm used to it and find it convenient even. A no date SD with green letters would have been 100% perfect IMHO.

Had to put my name down.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 11:24 PM   #80
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
D Blue and this will make a real power pair, Brian.
It sure will! Looking forward to seeing this one in the flesh. Really excellent examples of the original are priced very high IMO, so I suppose this might be the next best thing
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 11:33 PM   #81
TygerJaxsin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
I'm almost certain this watch will sell more than the BLNR does. Wait and see
Old 30 March 2017, 11:21 AM   #82
Egelber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060 2019
I would agree with whomever agrees with me. I love my 114060. I wear it every day. It is a simple yet classic time piece. For some reason or many, I purchased this watch and im so glad I did. The NEW SD43 is a watch I would buy in the future. I like the changes that were made, but i'm NOT a fan of the Cyclops, which is why I didn't buy the SubC date. BUT for some reason I really like that new SD43. So there, I said my peace.
Egelber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 11:37 AM   #83
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by efti View Post
Cyclops is a nice added feature as it makes it easier to read the date.. it helps as well someone across the room to see you are wearing a watch with a bubble on crystal aka Rolex

By the way no one mentions how nicely the SEL is now done, beautifully following the curve of the lugs and how nicely the case seems more "harmonic" as the dimension of it helping to "spread" the watch around the wrist.. watch now seems more natural on the wrist, this is the correct size for the SD, the SD4K always felt is too high (crystal now sits lower as well, as it should be actually). I feel they nailed the watch as they corrected everything where it needed..
By the way the original Sea Dweller didn't have cyclops because at that time it would maybe had difficulty at great depths to keep its plexiglass intact

I guess knowing its a Rolex is what its all about. Shallow to me for deep sea watch.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 11:38 AM   #84
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerJaxsin View Post
perhaps because of the slow deliveries as in the steel Daytonas.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 11:44 AM   #85
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Minus the cyclops, I love it. Also if the size is actually more like 42mm which I've hear rumors of, even better!!! I think that's the perfect size for me, and the perfect size (smack in the middle) for Rolex to add to their Diver line up.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 11:52 AM   #86
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
I think it looks great! The red text is killer and the case is well proportioned. Love the full minutes markers on the insert and it's got the excellent clasp.

As for the size...Come on, it's only a few mm bigger and the bezel on Rolex are usually a little smaller than the official case measurement. We're always seeing posts here where people are complaining about how their watch seems to measure smaller than Rolex specifies, so if it holds true for this one, well then, it should be just right, no?

The only really big change I see is the red text and the magnifier.
Old 30 March 2017, 12:21 PM   #87
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerJaxsin View Post
That's a bold statement... you know what they call a Quarter pounder with cheese in Amsterdam?
Old 30 March 2017, 02:24 PM   #88
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I guess knowing its a Rolex is what its all about. Shallow to me for deep sea watch.
No, increasing the ease of seeing the date is what they cyclops is all about, I still don't see how that can get a bad rap. I've personally dove with all my SD, Subs and DSSD, yet adding all those dives together is a fraction of the time I've used the watches on land to tell time and date. I do that daily (and even the date is usually referenced multiple times in 1 day).

Deep sea watch? Hell, all these Rolex divers can be considered 'deep sea watches' if you really think about it...99.9% of EVERY Sub owner will not even come close to the limit of that watch. Sometimes I wonder where non-divers think us divers spend most of our dives at?...like we are routinely going to 500-1000 feet. We are human divers, not submarines. Why people would want to limit the ease of reading the date on their watch is beyond me.
Old 30 March 2017, 05:31 PM   #89
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

I'm more disappointed from a purist's perspective that they had to put a cyclops on the SD and had to increase the case size.

From a sales and marketing perspective, I understand why they did it, because the SD4K and SubC Date were too similar to a non-WIS to justify the price difference. I'm sure they'll sell more of the SD43 than they did the SD4K.

My views could change when I see it in the flesh and put it on the wrist.
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 05:38 PM   #90
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
No, increasing the ease of seeing the date is what they cyclops is all about, I still don't see how that can get a bad rap. I've personally dove with all my SD, Subs and DSSD, yet adding all those dives together is a fraction of the time I've used the watches on land to tell time and date. I do that daily (and even the date is usually referenced multiple times in 1 day).

Deep sea watch? Hell, all these Rolex divers can be considered 'deep sea watches' if you really think about it...99.9% of EVERY Sub owner will not even come close to the limit of that watch. Sometimes I wonder where non-divers think us divers spend most of our dives at?...like we are routinely going to 500-1000 feet. We are human divers, not submarines. Why people would want to limit the ease of reading the date on their watch is beyond me.
I'm glad they finally made the perfect watch for you and I can't wait to see it on your wrist

I wish I had the wrist size to pull it off, I really like it
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote