The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 March 2017, 06:14 PM   #91
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Is no one concerned that it looks like the cyclops is a cover for actually using a too small of movement and the date is too far towards the center like some off the shelf parts catalog watch? We wont know till its in hand but this could be a lazy arse attempt parts bin watch and a stain on Rolex if it is. Otherwise is the fit is right and the aesthetics look great in person- I will have to have one!
To be honest though that was far more prominent on the 40mm SD4K, where the date window is so far off towards the center of the dial that the ring of indexes looks like an Apple logo... and the worst part is you can never unsee that. I think if anything the cyclops helps balance the dial to an acceptable aesthetic.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 06:36 PM   #92
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
A guy walks into a Rolex AD and wants a bad a$$ watch; something that has an incredible depth rating and some real heft. He looks at the Subs and says, "nice, yawn." He looks at the Deep Seas and say "really interesting but I really want the cyclops." Now he looks at the 50th anniversary SD and says, "Bingo!!!" Just saying that most Rolex buyers aren't WISs. This isn't a WIS watch, it a bragging rights watch with a cyclops.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 06:44 PM   #93
teo
"TRF" Member

A WIS walked into the shop looks at 116600 and say " pls take my money thank you"
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 07:40 PM   #94
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
A guy walks into a Rolex AD and wants a bad a$$ watch; something that has an incredible depth rating and some real heft. He looks at the Subs and says, "nice, yawn." He looks at the Deep Seas and say "really interesting but I really want the cyclops." Now he looks at the 50th anniversary SD and says, "Bingo!!!" Just saying that most Rolex buyers aren't WISs. This isn't a WIS watch, it a bragging rights watch with a cyclops.
Can this not be applied to any Rolex watch with a date (except for the Deepsea and previous SDs)?
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 07:44 PM   #95
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
Can this not be applied to any Rolex watch with a date (except for the Deepsea and previous SDs)?
Agreed. This recent vilification of the Cyclops by some as an object to aid 'showing-off' puzzles me. The Cyclops has been around since the 1950s and is used on all models with the date other than the SD variants.
Old 30 March 2017, 09:00 PM   #96
Seaotter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygerjaxsin View Post
i'm almost certain this watch will sell more than the blnr does. Wait and see
+1
Seaotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 09:00 PM   #97
Seaotter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
That's a bold statement... you know what they call a Quarter pounder with cheese in Amsterdam?
No ?! 😁😳
Seaotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 09:21 PM   #98
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfromleeds View Post
ICant believe my eyes ! What have they done , the 43mm case is way too big and the date magnification bubble ?
Your eyes are deceiving you Gary !Many local traders in my country have forecasted it would fetch a huge premium in Malaysia
( pop 30.75 m) and Singapore ( pop 5.76 m ) in addition to Hong Kong (pop 7.35 m ) and mainland China (middle class pop 300 m, that's bigger than the pop of USA ! )

In the Chinese customs and traditions , Red symbolizes Good Luck , long life , happiness and if you're a superstitious Chinese , you'll know Red is the only colour that can ward off Evil Spirits so now , you do the math !

I actually discussed the new Red SD with a lot of the local Chinese dealers. The general consensus is This Red Hot Baby will Sell ! . The " cyclops magnifier bubble wart " and the 43' casing will have no bearing on the sizzling sales expected to hit South East Asia, Hong Kong & China markets
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 10:29 PM   #99
RaceDoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr,Chnr,Sub,SkD
A Royale with cheese. Because of the metric system :) one of my favorite movies
Quote:
That's a bold statement... you know what they call a Quarter pounder with cheese in Amsterdam?
RaceDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 11:45 PM   #100
Speed
"TRF" Member

Pants!?!

Keep 'em coming Gary!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 01:07 AM   #101
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

Sorry folks but I really like it, its all a matter of personal taste.
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 01:12 AM   #102
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Brit slang speak (or so I have learned) for something that is no good.
Somewhat confusingly, pants in the UK also refers to underwear!

In Aus, pants = trousers

Quote:
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 01:41 AM   #103
Premiumwatches24
"TRF" Member

Watch: RM11-03
I was writing an article to my blog after I spotted these on Basel, so I really liked it. Even though there are a lot of people complaining that the size of the dial is too big, I find it is really cool to have such an update on 50th anniversary of the line. It had to be something really important and eye-catchy and this worked as well as the cyclopus
Premiumwatches24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 03:21 AM   #104
Cabinetman
"TRF" Member

I'm not a fan mostly due to the cyclops. I also don't love the size, but I can get over that easier than the cyclops.

I wonder if the 43mm Sea-Dweller is somewhat of a marketing experiment for Rolex? If the SD43 sells really well maybe Rolex will upsize the Sub to 42mm in the next couple of years. I know the folks around here would lose their minds, but it looks like Rolex is willing to break away from tradition if they can sell more watches.
Cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 03:22 AM   #105
Cabinetman
"TRF" Member

I'm not a fan mostly due to the cyclops. I also don't love the size, but I can get over that easier than the cyclops.

I wonder if the 43mm Sea-Dweller is somewhat of a marketing experiment for Rolex? If the SD43 sells really well maybe Rolex will upsize the Sub to 42mm in the next couple of years. I know the folks around here would lose their minds, but it looks like Rolex is willing to break away from tradition if they can sell more watches.
Cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 03:46 AM   #106
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Agreed. This recent vilification of the Cyclops by some as an object to aid 'showing-off' puzzles me. The Cyclops has been around since the 1950s and is used on all models with the date other than the SD variants.
People are overlooking the fact that other brands have used the Cyclops as well.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 04:00 AM   #107
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
People are overlooking the fact that other brands have used the Cyclops as well.
Yes, quite right - it's hardly a unique feature.
Old 31 March 2017, 04:11 AM   #108
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
I was thinking the same thing. If (more like when) the new SD sells like hot cakes, will they consider upsizing the Sub and GMT line? Personally I would love that. 42mm would be perfect in my mind, for me anyway. Wondering if maybe I should hold off for a year and see what if any changes are made to the Sub or GMT line next year? A 42mm SS Coke GMT would be my dream come true.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 05:47 AM   #109
SubmarinerSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C date
I like it. Like the cyclops feature too - my 50 year old eyes appreciate the help. Each to his own.
SubmarinerSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 05:59 AM   #110
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGHOST1 View Post
So we have the Size Police doing the rounds and the Cyclops Police. Its simple, if you don't like the size or the Cyclops, don't buy it. This will sell like hotcakes regardless and know doubt in the UK sold above recommended price.

Exactly and I'd be interested considering I have an 8" wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 06:29 AM   #111
ash5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060/SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egelber View Post
I would agree with whomever agrees with me. I love my 114060. I wear it every day. It is a simple yet classic time piece. For some reason or many, I purchased this watch and im so glad I did. The NEW SD43 is a watch I would buy in the future. I like the changes that were made, but i'm NOT a fan of the Cyclops, which is why I didn't buy the SubC date. BUT for some reason I really like that new SD43. So there, I said my peace.
Ditto.
ash5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 07:29 AM   #112
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
This isn't a WIS watch, it a bragging rights watch with a cyclops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
A WIS walked into the shop looks at 116600 and say " pls take my money thank you"
Please see post #68 of this thread. Completely disagree with these statements & mentality. If anything, the more of a WIS you are, the more you appreciate differences, data & spec changes...just gives you more WIS material.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 10:52 AM   #113
Nothingfancy01
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date
it appears based on this thread that as I might be able to get one:)
Nothingfancy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 11:01 AM   #114
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
This is the first time i heard the phrase "is pants"

I think it will sell well.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 12:17 PM   #115
GiantRobot
"TRF" Member

Watch: DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
If they would have done that, I would be writing a rant like yours but for opposite reasons. I applaud Rolex for FINALLY having some balls and not playing it safe by simply slapping some red text on the dial and calling it a "new" SD.

The SD has been the perfect candidate since 2008 for change and offering something in between the Sub & DSSD...it very much needed to be broken out of the shadow of the Sub. That breakout was something I think they missed w/ the SD4K a few years ago. I've got no issues w/ the SD4K other than the fact that I think Rolex played it too safe and didn't make the right call, instead essentially providing a status quo watch that we had for almost 50 yrs. I'm glad they owned that mistake and didn't let 10+ years go before doing the design change they should have done 4 yrs ago.

Kudos Rolex for finally providing a watch to us long-time loyal customers that actually wanted a bigger diver...loyal customers that have owned multiple Subs, SD & DSSD, yet none really being the perfect watch. You don't have to be some "new to Rolex" customer or non-WIS to love the new SD43...I'm a purist in many regards (hate frankenwatches, and love history of past models), but also won't apologize for admitting that sometimes change isn't a bad thing when it's very much overdue.

For some reason on this forum the word "purists" has turned into "I NEVER want to embrace evolution!" You can still love the proud history of past iterations of SDs...this is just another chapter. I contend anyone screaming that the new SD is now ruined is a complete hypocrite. Why? Because unless you're sporting a 1967 SD, your beloved "real" SD is very different from past iterations. Why is a transition from a plexi lens to sapphire okay? Why is an increase in depth rating okay? Why are all the different iterations of dials, fonts, hands, lume, lug & crown guards, bezel material, bracelets, clasps and movements okay...yet now the case growing a few mm and a cyclops applied NOT okay? See the hypocrisy glowing bright as the sun?

I echo your sentiment.
GiantRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 01:03 PM   #116
Bmac187
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 90
Personally, I love this watch and will be buying it. I'm not a purist like you guys. I'm the other guy who is a watch lover that has been waiting for Rolex to make a bigger watch. My Breitlings, Tags and Panerai watches make the typical 40mm Rolex watches look dainty unless you want the DSSD which is too thick. Finally us brand agnostic watch lovers can get a Rolex diver watch and guess what? There's a lot more of me than there are of you purists waiting in line to buy the next cool watch and Rolex did this because they know that too. Cheers to my first Rolex as I've already placed my order.
Bmac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 01:20 PM   #117
Phudu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600,BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Your eyes are deceiving you Gary !Many local traders in my country have forecasted it would fetch a huge premium in Malaysia
( pop 30.75 m) and Singapore ( pop 5.76 m ) in addition to Hong Kong (pop 7.35 m ) and mainland China (middle class pop 300 m, that's bigger than the pop of USA ! )

In the Chinese customs and traditions , Red symbolizes Good Luck , long life , happiness and if you're a superstitious Chinese , you'll know Red is the only colour that can ward off Evil Spirits so now , you do the math !

I actually discussed the new Red SD with a lot of the local Chinese dealers. The general consensus is This Red Hot Baby will Sell ! . The " cyclops magnifier bubble wart " and the 43' casing will have no bearing on the sizzling sales expected to hit South East Asia, Hong Kong & China markets
I'm total agreed with you Megan. In Asia it is all about who get it first. It is a status symbol for the riches. They don't mind paying the tremendously high premium to obtain this piece, just to show off to their friends.
Phudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 01:22 PM   #118
Phudu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600,BLNR
Icon14

Just get it, you will not regret.
Phudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 01:49 PM   #119
carwash66
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
Love my SD4k, but this new one is a must have. Bought my first Rolex, a new 16803 approx. 30 years ago and very soon added a 16613. These two were my only Rolex until the SD4k about a year ago, which then became my daily.
I think it will be a great fit for my almost 8" wrist. Plus, the cyclops will be nice for my 60 year old eyes.

It would be interesting to know how many will own one in a year or so who are adamantly against it now.
Old 31 March 2017, 08:51 PM   #120
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmac187 View Post
Personally, I love this watch and will be buying it. I'm not a purist like you guys. I'm the other guy who is a watch lover that has been waiting for Rolex to make a bigger watch. My Breitlings, Tags and Panerai watches make the typical 40mm Rolex watches look dainty unless you want the DSSD which is too thick. Finally us brand agnostic watch lovers can get a Rolex diver watch and guess what? There's a lot more of me than there are of you purists waiting in line to buy the next cool watch and Rolex did this because they know that too. Cheers to my first Rolex as I've already placed my order.
Great stuff
I hope you enjoy your first Rolex
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote