The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 March 2017, 12:11 AM   #1
Deepsea bewohner
"TRF" Member

Deepsea sea dweller / faulty Oyster clasp

Hi Guys

Last year I purchased a DSSD from a very reputable dealer.

Within the first few weeks, the Oyster clasp had opened all by itself - THREE times! The third and final time, I myself wasn't even aware that it had happened until someone else pointed it out. In a busy club, concert, public transport or the like, the watch would have certainly disappeared for ever.

This was enough to immediately prompt me into researching alternative straps and buying a Rubber B the very next day. I must say that it is indeed a very nice strap and although it is quite unique, I am starting to miss the original and would like to wear it again. I miss the feel, the look and the weight that the Oyster strap brings.

Has anyone else here had the same issue or do they know of similar incidents? Is it the norm, that every so often, this very same issue happens with the Oyster bracelets?

Should I ask the nearest service centre for an entire new bracelet or do you think that the original can be fixed properly, once and for all?

Many thanks in advance, much appreciated indeed!

Regards

Deepsea bewohner
Deepsea bewohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 02:25 AM   #2
BAMBAM
"TRF" Member

I assume it just dont fit onto your wrist somehow.
Opening happened somentimes IF you need to have the internal extensions completeley IN , so the clasp will be allowed to "lift" up on the end - this will cause the clasp "open" -
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 02:26 AM   #3
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Is it under warranty? Take it back to the dealer and see what your options are. Welcome

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 02:48 AM   #4
Audemars Piguet
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Welcome
Audemars Piguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 04:03 AM   #5
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Welcome

Have you had an AD (Authorised Dealer) or RSC (Rolex Service Centre) take a look at it?
Old 28 March 2017, 07:16 AM   #6
MonBK
Banned

Welcome
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 01:31 PM   #7
Deepsea bewohner
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for your replies!

The watch is still under warranty however it was purchased from the duty free at Zurich airport and I am not planning a return journey anytime soon.

I could take it to Bangkok, but can I expect the same level of competence there as I would from a service centre on mainland Europe?

Cheers!
Old 28 March 2017, 07:35 PM   #8
ryan.uk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsea bewohner View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies!

The watch is still under warranty however it was purchased from the duty free at Zurich airport and I am not planning a return journey anytime soon.

I could take it to Bangkok, but can I expect the same level of competence there as I would from a service centre on mainland Europe?

Cheers!
It doesn't matter where you bought the watch, you'll have your international warranty - you can bring it in to any official Rolex Retailer (of which I can see lots of options in Bangkok), and they will let you know what you can do about it.

It may have to be sent on to a Rolex Service Centre, and could take quite a while for it to be sorted out and returned to you - so if you travel a lot, it might be a pain to get the logistics arranged. But Time Midas (below) sound like they can do some things in-house.

Definitely get it sorted out though... you paid for the watch, the bracelet is an integral part, and if it's not working as it should - I would be wanting it fixed or replaced soonest!

I shouldn't worry about the competence of the ADs in Bangkok - this is the detail of Time Midas Emporium I found at Rolex.com which feels pretty reassuring:
SERVICING YOUR ROLEX AT TIME MIDAS EMPORIUM
Time Midas Emporium is part of the worldwide network of Rolex-trained watchmakers. We follow the Rolex Service Procedure, designed to ensure that every timepiece leaving a Rolex workshop complies with its original functional and aesthetic specifications.
Give them a ring and find out? Tel: +66 2664 8400 - 3

Last edited by ryan.uk; 28 March 2017 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Spelling
ryan.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 08:53 PM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I had a similar issue with a Sub clasp once. It was a minor adjustment, at no cost from my AD. Take it in. One of the best things about the DSSD is the bracelet and clasp.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 11:00 PM   #10
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Welcome. Can you post a photo of that watch?

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 11:58 PM   #11
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Sounds like you need to take the watch in and have them size the bracelet appropriately. Welcome to TRF.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 10:09 PM   #12
Deepsea bewohner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.uk View Post
It doesn't matter where you bought the watch, you'll have your international warranty - you can bring it in to any official Rolex Retailer (of which I can see lots of options in Bangkok), and they will let you know what you can do about it.

It may have to be sent on to a Rolex Service Centre, and could take quite a while for it to be sorted out and returned to you - so if you travel a lot, it might be a pain to get the logistics arranged. But Time Midas (below) sound like they can do some things in-house.

Definitely get it sorted out though... you paid for the watch, the bracelet is an integral part, and if it's not working as it should - I would be wanting it fixed or replaced soonest!

I shouldn't worry about the competence of the ADs in Bangkok - this is the detail of Time Midas Emporium I found at Rolex.com which feels pretty reassuring:
SERVICING YOUR ROLEX AT TIME MIDAS EMPORIUM
Time Midas Emporium is part of the worldwide network of Rolex-trained watchmakers. We follow the Rolex Service Procedure, designed to ensure that every timepiece leaving a Rolex workshop complies with its original functional and aesthetic specifications.
Give them a ring and find out? Tel: +66 2664 8400 - 3
I was at this very Rolex shop in the Emporium Bangkok a few weeks back reference the DSSD's scratched face due to a motorcycle accident. They re-directed me to another service centre in the city. I was only staying in BKK for one day so the alternative was just not plausible. At the time, I didn't inquire about the bracelet itself.

You are right. The Oyster bracelet is indeed an integral part of the watch. The next time I go to BKK, I will have the papers with me and also be prepared to say goodbye to it for a while. I doubt if these things happen overnight.

Many thanks mate!
Old 30 March 2017, 10:11 PM   #13
Deepsea bewohner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I had a similar issue with a Sub clasp once. It was a minor adjustment, at no cost from my AD. Take it in. One of the best things about the DSSD is the bracelet and clasp.
It's certainly reassuring to know that it's not just me. Yes, I love my Rubber B, but I love the Oyster Clasp more.

Thanks mate!
Old 30 March 2017, 10:12 PM   #14
Deepsea bewohner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingbear View Post
Sounds like you need to take the watch in and have them size the bracelet appropriately. Welcome to TRF.

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 30 March 2017, 10:13 PM   #15
Deepsea bewohner
"TRF" Member

Cheers!
Old 30 March 2017, 10:37 PM   #16
Deepsea bewohner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis7777 View Post
Welcome. Can you post a photo of that watch?
Done!

Dammit. Sideways. Sorry!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSSD.jpg (74.3 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by Deepsea bewohner; 30 March 2017 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: Computer mong.
Old 30 March 2017, 11:02 PM   #17
Ryuden
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Er...where's the pearl?

Ryuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 11:08 PM   #18
nick c
Banned

Something off about this dssd
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 01:06 AM   #19
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuden View Post
Er...where's the pearl?

x2
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 01:52 AM   #20
Deepsea bewohner
"TRF" Member

Guys, read last post reference motorcycle accident and then zoom in on the pic. You will then see that it snapped off when I impacted and human body suddenly met with tarmac.
Old 31 March 2017, 02:03 AM   #21
Smarties
"TRF" Member

The clasp of my DS never opened by itself. However, I didn't remove the diver extension and on rare occasion when pressure was applied to the end of the diver extension (that protruded from the end of the clasp), the flip lock opened a little bit.
Don't know if it's the cause of your problem, but if it is, removing the diver extension may solve the problem.
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 02:13 AM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 02:21 AM   #23
Deepsea bewohner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarties View Post
The clasp of my DS never opened by itself. However, I didn't remove the diver extension and on rare occasion when pressure was applied to the end of the diver extension (that protruded from the end of the clasp), the flip lock opened a little bit.
Don't know if it's the cause of your problem, but if it is, removing the diver extension may solve the problem.

I am not an expert therefore I will not be attempting any overhauls or adjustments all by myself. I will do as the other forum members advise - take it to a registered dealer.

I will keep you all informed. Hopefully then, the next unlucky buyer will have something to go on.

Many thanks.
Old 31 March 2017, 04:41 AM   #24
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about your clasp
The unique Glidelock on the DSSD is one of the best things on the watch, and I think the best clasp I've seen on a bracelet

Would be curious to see some pics of your clasp, to see if anything obvious is wrong with it
eonflux is online now   Reply With Quote