The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2017, 05:02 AM   #31
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
buy a savings bond instead

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 05:30 AM   #32
Speed
"TRF" Member

Oh boy.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 05:31 AM   #33
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Just cannot believe these types of threads its a pity today that Rolex watches have come to be seen as little more than ££££$$$$$$$.Gone are the days of buying and owning a Rolex because you wanted to wear one of the finest mechanical watches made today.Sorry perhaps I am old school Rolex watches are meant to be worn and enjoyed.And after wearing hopefully in good health for many years,then if you have to sell, and it gives you a reasonable return on original price bought.Then think of it as a bonus of owning and wearing that watch over the many years.Thats whats owning and wearing a Rolex should be about it not all $$$$$$££££.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 05:54 AM   #34
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Just cannot believe these types of threads its a pity today that Rolex watches have come to be seen as little more than ££££$$$$$$$.Gone are the days of buying and owning a Rolex because you wanted to wear one of the finest mechanical watches made today.Sorry perhaps I am old school Rolex watches are meant to be worn and enjoyed.And after wearing hopefully in good health for many years,then if you have to sell, and it gives you a reasonable return on original price bought.Then think of it as a bonus of owning and wearing that watch over the many years.Thats whats owning and wearing a Rolex should be about it not all $$$$$$££££.
I'm with Padi on this one.
I also don't understand the logic behind locking up a watch in the safe. Now, if we're talking an extremely rare piece, no longer made and difficult to source parts, then I'm all about it.
Otherwise, strap that Daytona on and enjoy it! Remember tomorrow is not promised to anyone.
Old 29 March 2017, 06:06 AM   #35
VinnieVegas
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 GMT Master II
No, you can't always recoup your investment.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

* Seiko SRP777 (2017)
VinnieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 06:07 AM   #36
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
As an investment only, it's a bad investment. Sell it and take the $12k and put it into an index fund or some income-generating stocks and bonds - i.e. Real investments.

Now if you actually like the watch and want to wear it, that's a different story. It should hold its value quite well and likely appreciate a little over time. But it's doing nobody any good in a safe.
This.
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 06:07 AM   #37
JElvis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I'm not a fan of any plan that has a watch sitting in a safe.
this. (unless that plan is to give it to someone at some point for a near-milestone :) )
JElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 06:18 AM   #38
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
W/o pics it never happened..........
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 06:22 AM   #39
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Investment.........Watch.........Investment....... ..Watch........

No matter how hard I try, the two words just don't add up.

Wear it, enjoy it. If worth more later, great but not something I would bet the house on.

God bless those with such will power to buy a beautiful watch and be able to store it, never wearing it, doing nothing more than occasionally looking at it. Not me. Call me weak.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 06:32 AM   #40
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
It's all speculation but I'm sure 20-30 years down the road a NOS BNIB 116520 would fetch a great price. Weren't 16520s just over $5k in 2000? However what will the premium between a 116520 in excellent condition w/ full set and a NOS be? Probably not more than $2-3k. The only investment grade Daytonas are the '60s-'80s models and who knows if they'll be as desirable once future generations don't even know who Paul Newman was. They have been a great investment for those who bought them 30-40 years ago but not now. I don't know that it's worthwhile to keep it locked up. Better to enjoy it and keep it in as good condition as you can. As others have said, the market and real estate have tried and proven investment potential in the long run.
Old 29 March 2017, 06:40 AM   #41
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
In a minimum of 20 years, you shall never lost the 12k that you've paid for it. Trust me on that.

Satisfaction of owning an untouched/unpeeled brand new 116520 is safely in the vault = priceless = bliss
Old 29 March 2017, 06:41 AM   #42
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All of this has been driven by the major interest in vintage Rolex and recent auction prices. Hollywood celebs and major collectors have largely been responsible for this. There are people who don't even want to get their watches polished at all in fear of losing value! I can understand not wanting to have vintage watches re-lumed, and worse dials and hands replaced but that only applies to 40+ year old watches. The people who bought watches back then just wore them like one would wear clothes. Now some people treat their watches like they're exotic cars or something.
Old 29 March 2017, 07:04 AM   #43
jscw
"TRF" Member

daytona platinum yes, daytona c ss, no. why? too many daytona c ss.
jscw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 07:10 AM   #44
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Yeah I still haven't run across a Platona at any AD. They most likely never sit around long enough for it to be on display.
Old 29 March 2017, 07:11 AM   #45
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Better off buying a Kermit then a Daytona for what you wanna do
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 08:31 AM   #46
LawMan
"TRF" Member

wear it , sell it when you tire of it and hopefully get your money back.
LawMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 08:47 AM   #47
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eus6267 View Post
Is it worth putting a BNIB Black dial SS Daytona (116520) in the safe for future appreciation? My wife wants to do it, but I am not so sure. Questions for the forum:

a) Do you feel that I can always recoup my investment (i.e. will I be able to always sell this for at least $12k)?

b) If I hold on to this for a few years, ballpark what % appreciation should I see if any?

Thanks!

oh my god! You bought a Rolex to put in a safe and invest? There is a hundred better ways, much better ways you can invest 12k and it definitely isn't something that goes in a safe.

Wear your Rolex and enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 08:51 AM   #48
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
A sub LV was 5600 in 2014 and now 6 or 7 in 3 years, not a bad investment not you can buy like 50 of them but what's the point of buying one or two. I guess it's better than a CD or 401k
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 08:51 AM   #49
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
My ad takes their last of every discontinued Rolex model and puts it in a lot display case built into the wall. Is a cool walk down memory lane and really neat when they add a future classic.

They keep as a museum, but being in them at cost for an AD will be a money making proposition at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 09:07 AM   #50
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

BNIB with full stickers won't fall under $12K, just look up the Zenith Daytona. Trusted sellers are already selling for north of $15K, but how sustainable that is - no one knows. Certainly no downside to do what you're proposing.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 09:14 AM   #51
BigBoyTime
"TRF" Member

What you need to do is buy SILVER. Take a look at the last year in silver. If you bought 1000 ounces on Jan 1st for 15K and then waited 2 months silver went up to 18.54 you could have sold for a 3K profit and waited 1 mph until it drops again to 16$ or so. The Silver market is the way to go if you want to make quick buy and sells with about 10k to 30k. I buy my silver at 15$ to 16$ and wait until it hit 18$ to 20$ then i sell and repeat. Try it but don't buy until it hits 16$ at most. They are controlling the market and i've been watching them and profiting from it.

Here are the spot prices for the last year http://www.apmex.com/spotprices/silver-prices
BigBoyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 01:22 PM   #52
doubleosullivan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner,
I'll wear it for you.
Old 29 March 2017, 01:29 PM   #53
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
You'd be better off buying 10 oz of gold and sitting on that than a watch.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 01:36 PM   #54
maximus1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Better to wear it and enjoy. No one knows how much it will be worth in the years to come.
maximus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 03:09 PM   #55
Maltie
"TRF" Member

My two pence

Over my years of buying and enjoying wearing my watches I have learned a few things....

1. Buy the right ones and you will not loose money, but the BIG question is "What is the right one ?"
2. Buy only the ones you truly like, if you have good taste, more people will like it too :-)
3. In the long run wearing or not, does not make a difference
4. Buy reputable brands only and diversify
5. NEVER NEVER buy at full retail price
6. NEVER rely on auction results of past/vintage watches, this is no sign for the future

I have bought loads of watches over the years of different brands, I never lost money so far on the ones I sold.

BUT please a watch MUST be worn like a car MUST be driven.
Maltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 04:16 PM   #56
Amex4711
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by eus6267 View Post
Is it worth putting a BNIB Black dial SS Daytona (116520) in the safe for future appreciation? My wife wants to do it, but I am not so sure. Questions for the forum:

a) Do you feel that I can always recoup my investment (i.e. will I be able to always sell this for at least $12k)?

b) If I hold on to this for a few years, ballpark what % appreciation should I see if any?

Thanks!
A friend of mine have 10 piece of 116520 in his safe
Old 29 March 2017, 06:08 PM   #57
peterpl
Banned

Invest your money elsewhere. Watches are not something that is usually a smart investment
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 06:15 PM   #58
Smarties
"TRF" Member

Why so many people perceive Rolex watches as investment.....Yes there maybe some vintage models that were very rare. But modern Rolex is produced in mass quantity. There maybe still some models that people love and can appreciate down the road (in 10, 20, 30 years???). But the fund you put aside can, more often than not, have higher probability to give you better return over the same period of time if invested prudently!
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 06:37 PM   #59
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
I would enjoy the watch but i am certain prices will appreciate for stickered BNIB examples in the next years. Past experience has demonstrated that BNIB discontinued Rolex watches appreciate.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 08:48 PM   #60
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
Seriously?!?!.......an investment!?!?! Talk to your broker and buy good stocks or commodities.

To know the future is to be trapped by it
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote