The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 29 September 2020, 07:52 AM   #121
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
No one knows anything except there will be a snoopy on there somewhere.
And “something exciting on the back”
Old 29 September 2020, 08:05 AM   #122
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
And “something exciting on the back”
Do we even know if it's going to be a watch!?
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 08:11 AM   #123
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Good point. They could go full on Hodinkee travel clock.

But seriously, yes we know it’s a watch.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 09:12 AM   #124
Oatmeal123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Good point. They could go full on Hodinkee travel clock.

But seriously, yes we know it’s a watch.
Haha!! I'm curious - did anybody like the Hodinkee Travel Clock? I'm curious how it is selling, as for that price, there are so many watches I would choose over that. But that is just my opinion and curious what justifies that huge price........
Oatmeal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 09:39 AM   #125
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal123 View Post
Haha!! I'm curious - did anybody like the Hodinkee Travel Clock? I'm curious how it is selling as for that price, there are so many watches I would choose. But that is just my opinion and curious what justifies that huge price........

I found it hilarious that Hodinkee had to post a separate article about why they priced the clock so high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 09:59 AM   #126
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Not long to wait now...
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 01:27 AM   #127
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Just got in touch with a friend that was trying to place a deposit today, apparently the lists have been officially closed by Omega for all US.
I'm not sure how to interpret this, but it seems that the rate of production will be indeed limited. For now whoever is in... is in. That might be it for a while.
Anybody had the same experience?
What's your feeling? Did they hit the magic number to support the release, so they put a stop?
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 02:16 AM   #128
EagleArmsHBAR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringhio View Post
Just got in touch with a friend that was trying to place a deposit today, apparently the lists have been officially closed by Omega for all US.
I'm not sure how to interpret this, but it seems that the rate of production will be indeed limited. For now whoever is in... is in. That might be it for a while.
What's your feeling? Did they hit the magic number to support the release, so they put a stop?
Doubtful as it hasn’t even been announced yet.
EagleArmsHBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 02:49 AM   #129
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleArmsHBAR View Post
Why stopping the deposits and getting on the official list then?
Market strategies maybe...
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:27 AM   #130
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleArmsHBAR View Post
That doesn't mean Omega has an internal target of deposits they want to hit in the US and they've reached it. They could only want to produce a certain amount the first year and don't want OB's taking deposits for watches that won't be delivered in a reasonable period of time.
Old 30 September 2020, 05:35 AM   #131
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That doesn't mean Omega has an internal target of deposits they want to hit in the US and they've reached it. They could only want to produce a certain amount the first year and don't want OB's taking deposits for watches that won't be delivered in a reasonable period of time.
Not sure how Omega works personally, but it does seem as if based upon the boutique i dealt with that the manager had some discretion on when to take deposits and how much of a deposit 2 months ago, before they were then directed more centrally on the deposit amount and policy all boutiques are currently following.

Along the lines of my AD said, it also appears they are using the deposit date to determine how many watches to make.

Anyways, I’m already in, so only arm chair debating while waiting for hopefully an epic watch!!!
Old 30 September 2020, 08:56 AM   #132
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Honestly having a problem understanding the outlandish ask of a more than 50% deposit on a watch that has not even been introduced.
Old 30 September 2020, 09:00 AM   #133
sfbatman007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Honestly having a problem understanding the outlandish ask of a more than 50% deposit on a watch that has not even been introduced.
Feel free not to make that deposit. I dont understand the point of these types of replies. No one is holding you hostage, forcing you to put that deposit!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
sfbatman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 09:19 AM   #134
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:

I just placed a deposit for one yesterday. I’m guessing that Omega is going to try to create demand by throttling supply. They did this with the 50th as well. They said it was sold out and then supply somehow reappeared. I was offered the 50th twice after it was supposedly sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 09:26 AM   #135
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Honestly having a problem understanding why people care how other people spend their money.
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
Old 30 September 2020, 10:13 AM   #136
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
I'm of the opinion this piece will be great and the discussion next week will be a lot of fun. Let's enjoy the next version of Snoopy!
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 01:09 PM   #137
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not too long ago I would have agreed with this. But knowing it’s a refundable deposit with a known and soon-to-be revealed makes deposit palatable. And I much prefer this than having to play the waitlist/bundle/vip game.

Let’s be honest. If patek or fpj (or any well established brand) took a 25k refundable deposit for a “new steel sport watch” to be revealed in a year from now, these deposits would fill up quickly. Heck I’d even be tempted to do so on that.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 12:31 AM   #138
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Honestly having a problem understanding why people care how other people spend their money.
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
My comment was in no way a criticism of how others are spending their money.

My understanding of a deposit is an amount of money to represent an authentic interest in the purchase of the watch (more than half the value of the item seems to me like an overreach) ?

a significant amount of money for an undetermined length of time for an item that has not yet been ~described and does not have a delivery date.

ie over a year for a 321, however, at least the 321 came w pics and specs. Unlike the new snoopy.

I recently requested a limited edition bicycle (non watch item ), the company requested I provide an in person copy of my credit card and ID to guarantee me the product in 1 month... in comparison holding 5k under the above conditions just doesn’t seem quite right to me.
Old 1 October 2020, 12:35 AM   #139
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Not too long ago I would have agreed with this. But knowing it’s a refundable deposit with a known and soon-to-be revealed makes deposit palatable. And I much prefer this than having to play the waitlist/bundle/vip game.

Let’s be honest. If patek or fpj (or any well established brand) took a 25k refundable deposit for a “new steel sport watch” to be revealed in a year from now, these deposits would fill up quickly. Heck I’d even be tempted to do so on that.
You make some good points but if we are being honest, we are talking about Omega, NOT Patek or FPJ (steel sports watches not really their thing) or Rolex for that matter.

I will say if lightening strikes twice and the watch nails it like the previous snoopy that would be exciting.
Old 1 October 2020, 12:38 AM   #140
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbatman007 View Post
Feel free not to make that deposit. I dont understand the point of these types of replies. No one is holding you hostage, forcing you to put that deposit!

I was offered the watch and did not put a deposit as omega is already holding 7k of my money for a 321.

Regarding “replies” I was thinking the same of yours.
Old 1 October 2020, 12:53 AM   #141
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You make some good points but if we are being honest, we are talking about Omega, NOT Patek or FPJ (steel sports watches not really their thing) or Rolex for that matter.

I will say if lightening strikes twice and the watch nails it like the previous snoopy that would be exciting.
True. Omega is not the same as any of other brands but that doesn’t make it any less interesting for its fan base. Different folks love the brand for different reasons. I’m personally a big admirer of Omega but hardly a fanboy, just excited about the Snoopy to be honest. I personally have no interest in eventual resale value but of course it would be cool for lighting to strike here.

FPJ and lots of other great brands may never enter this arena, but if they did I personally would be happy for their loyal fan base to have the opportunity to place a deposit and get the watch they want. That’s what I hope watch collecting gets back to; enthusiasts getting stuff, others respecting the craft and less noise about $.

We are all excitedly waiting for this reveal. I’m way more excited about it than I was about Rolex new releases lately.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 01:02 AM   #142
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

It would be so epic if lightning struck twice! Fingers crossed they don't F it up.
Old 1 October 2020, 01:17 AM   #143
sfbatman007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was offered the watch and did not put a deposit as omega is already holding 7k of my money for a 321.

Regarding “replies” I was thinking the same of yours.
Someone got butt hurt

sfbatman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 03:29 AM   #144
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My comment was in no way a criticism of how others are spending their money.

My understanding of a deposit is an amount of money to represent an authentic interest in the purchase of the watch (more than half the value of the item seems to me like an overreach) ?

a significant amount of money for an undetermined length of time for an item that has not yet been ~described and does not have a delivery date.

ie over a year for a 321, however, at least the 321 came w pics and specs. Unlike the new snoopy.

I recently requested a limited edition bicycle (non watch item ), the company requested I provide an in person copy of my credit card and ID to guarantee me the product in 1 month... in comparison holding 5k under the above conditions just doesn’t seem quite right to me.
Like a previous poster mentioned, the deposit is refundable and the watch should with other production details should be released in a few days. Most people can make a decision then to stay on the list or request a refund. Putting down the deposit now will offer a much greater chance of getting one at MSRP vs trying to get one on the grey market.

All I really lost out on is less than $1 of interest since the money was sitting in my savings account. You could make the argument I could've tried to time the market and made more money but I'm not going to go into that rabbit hole.
Old 2 October 2020, 09:03 PM   #145
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I knew the old Silver Snoopy Award was a success, but still surpised at the current market price, seems like 30k. Must be the first time ever for Omega.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 11:31 PM   #146
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
Info from a very reliable source:

"It's a blue and silver color design, and valued around $7500 - $9500. The delivery probably will start next year 2021."
myc ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 12:07 AM   #147
GolfJunkie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
I knew the old Silver Snoopy Award was a success, but still surpised at the current market price, seems like 30k. Must be the first time ever for Omega.
I remember looking at one years ago listed for 11k...wish I would have bought it because now it's out of the question
GolfJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 12:36 AM   #148
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
Quote:
Not necessarily better than Rolex.
Yes if you are on the initial wait list you will get a watch in 2021, ideally in the range of 5-6 months.
For hot references they will not limit the amount of people that can get on a list, at the beginning, but the waiting time will start growing.
Up to one point when they will reduce the production.
At that point you will have people dropping from the waiting list because the waiting time and people trying to get it.
With the OB that will deliver watches first to “clients with history”.
I got the call for the list 24 hours after it was officially opened, they secured clients with a stronger relation before me.
This IS the Rolex model.
They are going full force for it, creating a reference that is very challenging to get.

I agree you want, what you cant get.. Rolex sales model 100%..

Omega has got everyone on the hook here not seeing the watch prior order. Cool part it’s 100% refundable, you got the option to back out or keep and sell later...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GVAZQUEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 01:17 AM   #149
shakeb0x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myc ritz View Post
Info from a very reliable source:

"It's a blue and silver color design, and valued around $7500 - $9500. The delivery probably will start next year 2021."
thanks for sharing. i've been hearing this too on multiple forums. hoping for black and white though.
Old 3 October 2020, 01:23 AM   #150
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
It’s around $40k now after the watch was auctioned on Christie’s for $37.5k.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote