The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 27 October 2020, 06:02 AM   #31
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLNYC View Post
My speedy is more accurate than my 32xx Rolex
My Speedy Moonwatch is pretty accurate too, and doesn't make rotor noise
owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 07:54 PM   #32
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl. View Post
My Speedy Moonwatch is pretty accurate too, and doesn't make rotor noise
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 08:56 PM   #33
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
I own both an Omega PO 600m Cal. 8900 and a Rolex Explorer II Polar dial 216570 on an Oyster bracelet. I would say the quality of finish and feel of the Omega is easily on par with the Rolex. The rota is silent in both but I was very suprised that I actually prefer the bracelet on the Omega to the Rolex, the on the fly adjustment makes for a perfect fit every time.
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 05:13 AM   #34
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
I'll give you a dollar for it. PM me with your address, I got a fresh single waiting right here.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 12:58 AM   #35
Taylorgold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesnerelli23 View Post
Obviously this is a subjective matter but I have read that the reason you can feel the rotor moving is because of the ceramic bearings it uses. Pros - lifespan, Cons - having that "cheaper" feel... Hopefully I won't be disappointed by the Speedy I'm expecting soon :/

Yes I agree, I read something similar.
Taylorgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 01:31 PM   #36
a1awan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain Fifty Fa
Of course Omega divers are not in the league as Rolex divers....nor quality wise or price wise.
Still Omega divers are among the best divers in the world.

Next time you are out for buying a highend diver, try Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (not Bathyscape models).
a1awan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 11:03 PM   #37
Jakx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangster View Post
First thank you all for your responses. They have a calming effect on me.

SPMN, +5 second is right at the edge of the "master chronometer". Nothing wrong with it. I just wish it would have been closer to the 0 than the +5 edge.

I feel the vibration when I shake the watch, not when I wear it.
It will get better. After almost 3 years of virtually continuous running, mine has sometimes been dead on for several weeks and then a bit faster but all within the +5 tolerances of a MC. Never minus anything, which is important. Seamaster SMP 8800 is a fine watch and cannot be beat in terms of cost/quality (and we have to add "availability" ratio. What I also like it's not a "flipper" watch but is meant to be worn for a lifetime of use and with the resulting wear and tear. yes it will depreciate but so what. It's mine and I'll one day pass it on to someone else within my family and friends circles.
Jakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2020, 12:41 PM   #38
aapriadi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, Rolex & VC
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1awan View Post
Of course Omega divers are not in the league as Rolex divers....nor quality wise or price wise.

Next time you are out for buying a highend diver, try Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (not Bathyscape models).
Agreed on blancpain fifty fathoms
aapriadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2020, 01:00 PM   #39
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
Omega vs rolex divers.
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2020, 02:16 PM   #40
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I own 3 different Rolex models, all are from the past 4 years of production. All 3 perform outside the COSC "superlative" range. None of them are better than the range of -5 to +5.

In contrast, the two master chronometer Omegas that I have run at very satisfying +2 and +4 seconds. They never lose time. These amazing Omega movements start ticking away with the smallest amount of wrist motion. I can feel the rotor and don't care, I also enjoy seeing their beautiful movements through the case-backs. When I wind my Omega, they crown action and winding action are smooth, buttery and satisfying.

Meanwhile, my Rolex all need like 50 winds before they start to wake up, and they all have an unpleasant gritty wind similar to cheaper mass-produced watches.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 02:27 AM   #41
sambb
"TRF" Member

if i want a new sub date today = 40-50% above retail.
If i want a new seamaster today = 30% below retail

You are correct, they are different watches and different in so mnay ways
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2020, 11:13 PM   #42
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1awan View Post
100% disagree with you. If you were to say this about the braclet I would say true. But a sweeping statement such as this? lol.

Comments like these are rife and also part of the reason Rolex lovers get a lot of flak.
Arcticsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2020, 12:32 AM   #43
nda
"TRF" Member

Like many here, I have both Rolex and Omega... I would say my Omega is as least as well finished as my Rolex - maybe even slightly better in some respects. But Rolex has that 'thang' that everybody wants - Omega have never quite achieved that.

Omega started in 1848 and produce excellent time pieces - in fact they were already the official timekeeper at Swiss sporting events when Rolex was founded. A great watchmaker. :)
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2020, 01:03 AM   #44
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
also have owned half a dozen rollies and omegas. haven't done an in depth comparison but can say that all in all they have felt pretty comparable.

but a few noteworthy points for me were that the rolex's typically run smaller and thus, often lighter. that i have noticed.

never put them on a timegrapher but a few seconds/day is not something that would bother me since mechanical watches need to be reset here and there.

pretty sure both make exceptional watches, but omega may be a little more technologically advanced

and when i think i tried on a 5711 and it felt like a children's toy, it kinda makes me want to rejigger my perspective. obviously pp doesn't make cheap toys, nor does omega
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2020, 02:33 AM   #45
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Own and enjoy many models from both brands. They are mechanical pieces so anomalies can happen. Don’t let it bother you and enjoy the hobby :-)
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 01:44 AM   #46
j-watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK, BLRO, 16523
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
if i want a new sub date today = 40-50% above retail.
If i want a new seamaster today = 30% below retail

You are correct, they are different watches and different in so mnay ways
30%??? Really?? Please point me in that direction.
j-watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 04:07 AM   #47
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
I had a watch that was 3x the price of a Omega SMP and was gaining +8 sec a day. Sadly some COSC specs are that wide. Nothing could be done to improve it. It did bother me. One of the reasons I sold it.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 04:32 AM   #48
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
I recently acquired a brand new Seamaster. It is a beautiful watch to be sure. But after 3 days of use and in comparison with my Rolex Submariner I am a bit dismayed at the disparity in quality. To wit:

I compare my watches to a cheap Citizen that has atomic accuracy. The Omega is off by about +5 sec per day, whereas my Rolex sub is less than +1 sec per day. So much for the "master chronometer" certification.

When I shake the watch I can feel and hear the half-circle weight spinning. Perhaps some people appreciate this, but I can only describe the vibration I feel in my palm as cheap and coarse. The Rolex on the other hand is very quiet. I cannot hear or feel anything.

I still like the Seamaster but I did not expect such a difference between an Omega and a Rolex.
Please don't "shake" your watch.....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 04:56 AM   #49
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
My SMP 8800 is more accurate than the 3130 in my sub. The 8800 does wake up quicker than either the 3130 or the 3235 in my datejust. The winding is smoother in the omega. Both the 3235 and the 8800 have considerable rotor wobble due to ceramic bearings. But we know this already right? The sub has a superior bezel feel and worse lume. The sun has platinum inlays in the bezel whereas the SMP feels a bit flat. However, the dial is superior in the SMP with a great level of attention to detail. But as others have said, it’s like half the price and 90 per cent plus the watch. Go figure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 06:05 AM   #50
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
New Omega owner - disappointed

You could get it regulated to match your wearing habits and it would hold. The movement in your watch is better than the sub by various measures.

That said, there is some truth to your coarseness comment. The bracelet comes to mind.
Old 23 November 2020, 06:18 AM   #51
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
Quote:
I recently acquired a brand new Seamaster. It is a beautiful watch to be sure. But after 3 days of use and in comparison with my Rolex Submariner I am a bit dismayed at the disparity in quality. To wit:

I compare my watches to a cheap Citizen that has atomic accuracy. The Omega is off by about +5 sec per day, whereas my Rolex sub is less than +1 sec per day. So much for the "master chronometer" certification.

When I shake the watch I can feel and hear the half-circle weight spinning. Perhaps some people appreciate this, but I can only describe the vibration I feel in my palm as cheap and coarse. The Rolex on the other hand is very quiet. I cannot hear or feel anything.

I still like the Seamaster but I did not expect such a difference between an Omega and a Rolex.
I have omega, rolex and ap my ap keeps the worst time, last time i tested was around +8 seconds a day but i dont really mind that.
As for quality ap is the leader but my speedy pro is better than my rolex gmt in every way. So much so ill never own another rolex and had easily 10+ rolex over the years. Just think omega is better than rolex
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 11:57 AM   #52
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Turn the bezel and use the bracelet. Rolex is much better objectively in terms of fit and finish and feel on the wrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRabbit View Post
I don’t care when people say one is objectively better than the other. It’s purely preference for the differences between the two.

I literally just sold my 4 month old blue dial SMP 300 diver and purchased a 116610LN sub date a couple weeks ago. I’ve come to the opinion there is no difference in overall quality whatsoever. The much higher price is solely due to way higher Rolex demand that doesn’t really have to do with quality, but more just from Rolex brand awareness.

The higher price doesn’t really bring any extra quality to the sub vs SMP. I sold the SMP a couple weeks after buying the sub. So I was able to hold them both in my hands right next to each other, and I couldn’t for the life of me notice any extra ‘quality’ in the sub.

I’m sticking with the Sub just because I like the design more and don’t like the HE valve on the SMP, etc. But, I’m sticking with the Sub just because of my preferences, not because I found the sub to be of any higher quality.

Edit: Concerning accuracy, my SMP was +2spd. So that’s just luck of the draw rather than all SMPs running up to +5spd. Compare that with my DJ41 I bought months back and had to send in for warranty within the first month of ownership due to it running -7spd.
Bearxj86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 04:25 PM   #53
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Get it serviced
Atone is offline   Reply With Quote