The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2024, 04:29 AM   #1
NickDSSD
"TRF" Member

SD43, not the typical 3235 movement issue (I promise)

To the best forum on the World Wide Web… see if you can help me out with any first hand knowledge after just departing the Beverly Hills RSC yesterday ( I live in LA)

1) Last March ‘23 I brought my SD43 for a warranty service as it was losing 10 seconds per day (being conservative). I actually posted about it on this forum in February shocked at the time loss.

2) two weeks later it was returned with perfect timing after a warranty full service was performed. I monitored it for 2 months and ran great

3) having it kept on a watch winder at 650TPD I’ve never had to adjust the time

3) In July I take it on a trip and I finally have to adjust my time to account for time zone delta while on the plane. When I get to my hotel (2) hours later my watch is 11 minutes fast. (Jumped ahead)

4). I knew it was odd but I chalked it up to maybe myself miscalculating when setting the time on the plane.

5) Next trip, this past Christmas I fly to Park City, change time while on the plane for when i land, 1 hour later while in the Uber, watch is 10 minutes fast.

6) I bring the watch the the Bev Hills, they cant replicate the problem and perform another full service and I pick it up yesterday.

My two questions for the forum:
A) Having the watch opened twice within a year and (2) full services' performed at the RSC in such a short time... does that damage the watch or long term health of the watch in a negative way? The rep at the counter said no but nobody likes to keep opening the watch/

B). Has anyone had this problem before with jumping ahead in such a short period?

Thanks everyone in advance for any help!
NickDSSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 05:00 AM   #2
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

A. Its a watch, not a heart. Opening the case back is no trouble.
B. No, very odd.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 05:10 AM   #3
saxo3
"TRF" Member

2 x No.
Buy a timegrapher and check yourself.
saxo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 06:56 AM   #4
BMWMotoRider
"TRF" Member

I know it makes no sense but it sure feels like there are a lot more people here that have 3235 problems with Sea Dweller 43’s even though it is not nearly as common as other models with the same movement (subs, etc). The case shouldn’t matter and no, I don’t have data to support it, just a gut feeling from watching the threads on problem 32xx movements.
BMWMotoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 07:20 AM   #5
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
A. Service induced fault is a reality. Omega messed up my PO. The timekeeping was erratic after an overhaul. I had to take it back to get it fixed. Could your RSC have misassembled some components? Incorrectly oiled the movement?

B. I never experienced your particular issue. However, one of my watches has a strange behaviour. It shows great timekeeping on the timegrapher, but speeds up when worn. Went to the official service center 3 times in 2 years, to no avail. I'll take it back at some point, but I've decided to live with it for now.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 08:49 AM   #6
Doood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMotoRider View Post
I know it makes no sense but it sure feels like there are a lot more people here that have 3235 problems with Sea Dweller 43’s even though it is not nearly as common as other models with the same movement (subs, etc). The case shouldn’t matter and no, I don’t have data to support it, just a gut feeling from watching the threads on problem 32xx movements.
Maybe SD43 owners pay closer attention?

But yes, seems like quite a few 3235 issues reported here are reported by SD43 owners.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 08:58 AM   #7
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD

It really sounds like operator error on both occasions.

The common denominator is the operator changing/reseting the time due to time zone change.
I did it myself once, maybe twice(on reflection) over the years
Others have reportedly(here on this forum) done it when we pick apart the sequence of events.
Easily done all things considered, especially after a long flight.
I know I personally experience a certain sense of disorientation when arriving at a totally different destination, so it can't be ruled out as a factor

Another common theme is the time is either exactly 10 minutes or exactly 1 hour off.
It's a bit like making an error when measuring something. It's usually either exactly 10 mm or exactly 100 mm out after you've cut the material to length and taken it back to offer it up to the job and nearly always short
As they say.
Measure twice, cut once.
The exact same principal applies because we all make mistakes and that's a real easy one.
I'll wager there's nothing wrong with your watch.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 05:50 PM   #8
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doood View Post
Maybe SD43 owners pay closer attention?

But yes, seems like quite a few 3235 issues reported here are reported by SD43 owners.
This is a model-independent problem with the 32xx caliber, with some subtle difference between the date and no-date versions.
saxo3 is online now   Reply With Quote