The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 May 2011, 01:25 PM   #1
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
TRF-ers' health and fitness

Hello boys and girls,

Earlier this week, one of our fine members started a thread regarding thoughts on a specific workout. During the course of the conversaion, someone posted pics of their dramatic transformation from overweight to fit. After seeing their photos, I was personally inspired and got off my butt and did a killer workout that evening. And I thought 'wow, I need to get me some more of this.'

So this got me to thinking - how about we create a space on TRF where members can share their successes and challenges regarding their journey to become healthier. Maybe you are greatly out of shape and are looking to take that first step and need some encouragement. We're here. Maybe you are looking to quit smoking or cut down on alcohol. We're here. Healthy recipes, yoga, running, weight lifting, meditation,...well, you get the point. I'm guessing we have a lot of knowledge and resources we can share with eachother.

Now a couple of ground rules - this would be a supportive environment only. Our goal would be to share and help eachother out regardless of where our current fitness level may be (think 'work in progress') or what our personal goals may consist of. We keep it positive and motivate eachother to keep on going.

Anyone interested?

If so, how about sharing your success story or challenge. Motivational tips? Before and after photos?

Who knows - this thread will either fizzle or, perhaps, it will be that little extra something that makes the difference for one of our members.

Now go for it!
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I joined a gym, spent big $'s.................so far I haven't lost any weight.....seems you have to go to the gym.
Old 20 May 2011, 01:34 PM   #3
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I joined a gym, spent big $'s.................so far I haven't lost any weight.....seems you have to go to the gym.
For some people that's the case. We bought a Wii for our kids a year and a half ago. The wife and I ended up getting the Wii Fit and that started the whole workout at home for me. I'm not a gym guy (used to be, though). It's just too hard with the kids and I don't want to spend the $.
Old 20 May 2011, 01:37 PM   #4
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Hmm, "TRF Spa," neight, I have enough twuble witha Bar !

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Well, I have no before / after photos, but so far, I have lost 15 pounds and counting !!

I started out at 225, and am now down around 210.

I did it by

1. Joining a gym, and going at least 3 times per week.
2. RUNNING at LEAST 2-3 miles a day 5X per week.
3. STOP EATING AT NIGHT (like after 7-8PM), eating at night is what really killed me.

My hardest part is to keep motivated. I DO cheat from time to time, but when I first started to loose weight, I downloaded this App on my iPhone called "Loose it", and you basically put every single food you eat in this app, and it gives you the total number of calories you can eat per day, and it fluctuates based on how much you weigh, how much you lost, etc. That is the number one thing that has helped me loose wight. It makes loosing weight fun by tracking every piece of food that goes in your mouth.

Anyway, I'm 6' 2" 1/2 and my ultimate goal is to get to 190. The lightest I've ever weighed (about 3-4 years ago) is 199. But most of the time, if I just let myself go, I manage to get (and stay at) 225ish.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 01:58 PM   #6
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Hey Mike,

Congrats on the weight loss. Have you held a 15 pound weight yet and said 'I've lost this crap off of my body'? It's quite a bit of extra weight you're no longer hefting around.

Number 3 on your list was (is) hard one for me. And making sure I don't snack when I wake up in the middle of the night...ugh.
Old 20 May 2011, 07:53 PM   #7
axxeman01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
I DO cheat from time to time...
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. You have to have a cheat meal once in a while, lest you go nutso. Just don't let one cheat meal a week become two and so on.

My greatest detriment to date, is that I'll go like a gangbuster for a couple months, take a week off to rest, then not go back for a year. I still need tips on how to stay the course.
axxeman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Threemonkeys (craig) requested that I post my before and after pictures in this thread.

This is what I have done to lose 55 pounds since September 2010. I have cut Soda COMPLETELY out of my diet, and now control my portions, and drink 120+ ounces of water per day. I started exercising on a treadmill back in Sept 2010. I would walk at a fast pace (4.2 mph with an incline of 15% for 3 miles) 7 days per week. I have now switched to bike riding outside 12 miles per day. I also lift weights for upper body/abs/arms every other day for 45 minutes in the morning. I exercise EVERY DAY, AT LEAST 45 MINUTES PER DAY.

I enjoy the biking so much that I have ridden 107 miles so far this week. I have had two 30+ mile days, and have ridden 12-15 miles all the other days.

Beginning - 222 lbs (me on the right)

6 weeks after I started - approx 210 lbs (front left)

Me taken last week. (168 lbs)

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub (cosc)
I'm 6'3" but got down to 145lbs a few years back when I was a jockey...

I certainly wasn't 'healthier' then than I am now (about 195lbs).

My weight loss was very extreme and for a specific reason but I genuinely found the was no secret or magic formula other than one...

Eat less, move more!!!

I don't mean that as a fesicious answer, merely the truth. There's no easy way...

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG, OM, CH, TD, PC, DL, FRS.
Grumpy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 09:48 PM   #10
GothamG8or

I've been working out (again) for a good year plus... currently around 210 (6' tall)... I still have a ways to go, but I've lost 15lbs and about 10% body fat. The working out part is fine... and I'm hoping I'm in good enought shape to start P90x soon

The single hardest thing for me is diet. I love all the wrong stuff & it's just so easy here in NYC to off the rails diet wise. I've been using this site to help keep me disciplined & track food/nutrition intake. It's very user friendly and the important thing is: it seems to work for me.

www.myfooddiary.com

Good thread
GothamG8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 09:50 PM   #11
watch watcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintages
I've lost 30 lbs. by giving up alcohol and dairy products. The best part is that I did it without exercising!
watch watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 10:39 PM   #12
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
I have recently lost 15 pounds (which is a small subset of what I need to lose) but I'm well on my way. I have achieved radical weight loss before and kept it off for several years, but the last several years of unbridled customer wooing have taken a toll.

I will pass on posting pictures, but I'll relay clothing sizes.

At my lightest (and I'll get back there) I wore a size 29 or 30 inch -waist- pant, size small shirts, and a 38-39 short suit jacket. In contrast, I am now wearing size 38 inch pants, L or XL shirts, and a 46 short suit jacket.

I have studied a lot about diet and nutrition and have adopted cues I have picked up while traveling internationally. I also want to point out that eating at night isn't bad as long as you have calories left in your "budget". I am routinely eating very late at night and losing up to 3lbs per week. Many nutritionists agree that this is the case.

Eat smaller, incorporate exercise in your daily life (I walk most everywhere), and journal your food. I like the "Daily Plate" function on the livestrong.com site.

I used to be a gym rat in my youth, but no more. I don't particularly enjoy it that much anymore, and I personally believe it is folly to stake your ability to control your weight on such an inconvenient ritual. There are people on this planet who will -never- see the inside of a gym who will be thin and fit and healthy their entire lives (I'm referring to entire populations outside of the US). Walking is sufficient for losing at a brisk but sane rate. No "Biggest Loser" chunks of weight, but a safe 2-3 per week is achievable from just walking to get where I'm going in an urban setting.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 10:45 PM   #13
Lisa
"TRF" Member

No big secrets to reveal, other than running after 3 kids (including a 30 pounder who loves to be carried everywhere), walking them to school, hauling loads of laundry up and down the basement steps, endless picking up of toys and clothes, and doing heavy gardening projects (like digging up roots and stumps). Done right, being a stay at home mom will definitely burn calories.

Here's a pic. Taken last year; I was 46.

Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 11:10 PM   #14
Justjosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: This
Lisa, those are some impressive arms on a lady!

Jason, that's an awesome transformation.

As for me... I own my own business, and anyone who is self employed knows how hard it is to keep to a schedule and find time for yourself. The past few years, business has been extremely good/busy, which means I don't workout, and I eat poorly when I have time to eat. Then last year my wife got pregnant and I started eating for 2, right along with her. Now we have a 6 month old and all my free time is spent with her.
I struggle everyday trying to figure out how to fit time in for a workout, but 12-15hr workdays, plus a baby that doesn't sleep more than a few hours everynight, just leaves me dragging.

I used to workout 5 days a week for 2 hours a day, so this is VERY hard for me to be this out of shape and tired.
Maybe checking in here with you guys will make me feel slightly more motivated.
Justjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 11:15 PM   #15
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjosh View Post
Lisa, those are some impressive arms on a lady!

Jason, that's an awesome transformation.

As for me... I own my own business, and anyone who is self employed knows how hard it is to keep to a schedule and find time for yourself. The past few years, business has been extremely good/busy, which means I don't workout, and I eat poorly when I have time to eat. Then last year my wife got pregnant and I started eating for 2, right along with her. Now we have a 6 month old and all my free time is spent with her.
I struggle everyday trying to figure out how to fit time in for a workout, but 12-15hr workdays, plus a baby that doesn't sleep more than a few hours everynight, just leaves me dragging.

I used to workout 5 days a week for 2 hours a day, so this is VERY hard for me to be this out of shape and tired.
I feel your pain fellow home office dweller.

Tape a picture of what you want to look like (maybe an old photo) to the fridge door and any kitchen cabinets you tend to raid. It will help remind you to stay out of there.

Your scenario is a great example to illustrate that relying on long gym workouts isn't a sustainable plan as life always gets in the way. We need to adopt routines/lifestyles that help us maintain a healthy weight and general health -without- inconvenient gym excursions.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 11:33 PM   #16
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I feel your pain fellow home office dweller.

Tape a picture of what you want to look like (maybe an old photo) to the fridge door and any kitchen cabinets you tend to raid. It will help remind you to stay out of there.

Your scenario is a great example to illustrate that relying on long gym workouts isn't a sustainable plan as life always gets in the way. We need to adopt routines/lifestyles that help us maintain a healthy weight and general health -without- inconvenient gym excursions.
True! After having kids, gone were the days of 50 mile bike rides and long evening walks. If you can work extra activity into your day, do it! Even little things - like parking at the far end of the lot, or always taking the stairs at work, or carrying your kids instead of plopping them into the stroller - add up.
Old 20 May 2011, 11:46 PM   #17
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
True! After having kids, gone were the days of 50 mile bike rides and long evening walks. If you can work extra activity into your day, do it! Even little things - like parking at the far end of the lot, or always taking the stairs at work, or carrying your kids instead of plopping them into the stroller - add up.
It is true, life does get in the way at times. However, 30 minutes per day of a good cardio workout will do wonders. I have only started doing the "longer" workouts (i. e. 30+ mile bikerides) AFTER I lost the 55 pounds. Most everyone can find 30 minutes per day to DO SOMETHING. Yes, a person is tires after a long day at work........but a good run/brisk walk will do wonders for clearing your mind and giving you MORE energy over time.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 21 May 2011, 12:11 AM   #18
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjosh View Post

I found that when I started working out again, I felt like I had a lot more energy. I also sleep better.
Good luck.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 01:03 AM   #19
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Quote:
No big secrets to reveal, other than running after 3 kids (including a 30 pounder who loves to be carried everywhere), walking them to school, hauling loads of laundry up and down the basement steps, endless picking up of toys and clothes, and doing heavy gardening projects (like digging up roots and stumps). Done right, being a stay at home mom will definitely burn calories.

You lean as hell cuz.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 01:09 AM   #20
Puffy
"TRF" Member

so much lard being shredded by everyone, well done

I've lost 3kgs over the past 3 weeks, i went from 79kg to 82kg on my holiday
Old 21 May 2011, 01:31 AM   #21
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
You lean as hell cuz.
Old 21 May 2011, 01:46 AM   #22
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
A challenger appears.

18 inches stone cold no lie. I haven't been to the gym yet. I'm gonna be starting my cut in the next couple of weeks. I need to get lean like you and I'm pale as phuck from this crappy weather. Might have to start tanning.

Old 21 May 2011, 01:57 AM   #23
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A challenger appears.

18 inches stone cold no lie. I haven't been to the gym yet. I'm gonna be starting my cut in the next couple of weeks. I need to get lean like you and I'm pale as phuck from this crappy weather. Might have to start tanning.

Thanks in part to you, i have started lifting. I have been doing upper body, chest, and arms for ~3 weeks now. I doubt i will ever have arms like that, but i should be able to improve myself

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 21 May 2011, 02:00 AM   #24
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Thanks in part to you, i have started lifting. I have been doing upper body, chest, and arms for ~3 weeks now. I doubt i will ever have arms like that, but i should be able to improve myself
Don't forget the wheels/legs bro. Don't neglect them.
Old 21 May 2011, 02:01 AM   #25
KirkWilfred
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Great Thread!

I was a division one rugby player in college and bulked up to 215. I was very fit and muscular. After graduating college I lost my muscle mass and got fat. I hovered around 205 for years. I looked and felt horrible for 5'10" This past January I started watching what I eat. I started P90x three weeks ago and have am down 25 lbs since Jan!

Loosing weight is taking control of your life. My self esteem increased incredibly after loosing so much weight. I am no longer emarrassed to take my shirt off and enjoy wearing nicer clothing, form fitting.

My advise: NO alcohol, very little dairy, and track your calories everyday. It also helps to eat lite meals with a lot of fruits and veggies.

GREAT THREAD!!!

“Time is an illusion.” – Albert Einstein
KirkWilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 02:11 AM   #26
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A challenger appears.

As Napoleon Dynamite would say: I like your arms. They're real big.

I could loan you a child or two to carry around... you might prefer the 11 year old as she weighs the most.

Pale muscle is the way to go. Or eating a lot of carrots and tomatoes!
Old 21 May 2011, 02:13 AM   #27
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkWilfred View Post
Great Thread!

I was a division one rugby player in college and bulked up to 215. I was very fit and muscular. After graduating college I lost my muscle mass and got fat. I hovered around 205 for years. I looked and felt horrible for 5'10" This past January I started watching what I eat. I started P90x three weeks ago and have am down 25 lbs since Jan!

Loosing weight is taking control of your life. My self esteem increased incredibly after loosing so much weight. I am no longer emarrassed to take my shirt off and enjoy wearing nicer clothing, form fitting.

My advise: NO alcohol, very little dairy, and track your calories everyday. It also helps to eat lite meals with a lot of fruits and veggies.

GREAT THREAD!!!
Sigh - so true about alcohol. I like my Mike's Hard Lemonade so much - it's hard to give up but that's a lot of empty calories.

COngratulations on your hard work and improved health.
Old 21 May 2011, 02:17 AM   #28
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
As Napoleon Dynamite would say: I like your arms. They're real big.

I could loan you a child or two to carry around... you might prefer the 11 year old as she weighs the most.

Pale muscle is the way to go. Or eating a lot of carrots and tomatoes!
Seems like you're the exception not the norm.

Everybody else is saying that having them kiddies is getting them all fat, tired, and dragging their asses. Not gonna work for me. I'm never having them. My wife wants them even less than me. I'll stick to my simple, stress free life but I'm sure your kids are great.
Old 21 May 2011, 02:20 AM   #29
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:

Hey now!!
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 02:23 AM   #30
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkWilfred View Post
Great Thread!

GREAT THREAD!!!
Some alcohol wont hurt especially clear alcohols/vodka. Skim milk should not be avoided unless you have that lactose thing. Be careful with too much fruit as it has lots of sugars which you want to avoid. Dont eliminate all carbs. You need them as well as some fats also. I like to eat three squares everyday at least with three protein shakes daily. Track your calories but dont be obsessed with them just watch What you are eating. Lots of lean protein and very little simple carbs. Losts of fluids too but no soda at all and watch the sugar in the juice drinks.