The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2024, 08:42 AM   #1
dunivanb
"TRF" Member

Rolex Cellini Moonphase 50535 - Would an AD still carry this

Long time since I visited, but I like the 50535 as a dress watch. I have a SD as a daily wear, and it looks like this was only discontinued last year.

Am I crazy to think I can find one new at an AD? Would they have had to go back when discontinued?

It also looks like the MSRP was 26500, and I can get it used for less - is that "normal" for a discontinued watch?
dunivanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:47 AM   #2
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Highly doubt one would still be floating around in an AD's safe. I would imagine that, when they were in production, an AD would see less than ten 50535s per year. Cellinis have never been a big seller. Their attractiveness has increased a bit since it being discontinued, but I'd imagine that'll wane. You could probably wait a bit longer for prices to go down more.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:01 AM   #3
dunivanb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
Highly doubt one would still be floating around in an AD's safe. I would imagine that, when they were in production, an AD would see less than ten 50535s per year. Cellinis have never been a big seller. Their attractiveness has increased a bit since it being discontinued, but I'd imagine that'll wane. You could probably wait a bit longer for prices to go down more.
Thanks! I figure the demand on it is not huge, I just love the date ring like the 6062 (without the price tag).

I think waiting a bit makes sense, and who knows if it being on the list lasts (it's replacing a Saxonia Thin in copper blue currently lol)
Old 22 February 2024, 03:05 AM   #4
Polyesterpig
"TRF" Member

I really like the 50535 too. I have seen them sell for $19,500.00 recently. Still hesitant to make the purchase though. Not an easy sell if I end up not liking it. Probably because it is a Cellini.
Old 22 February 2024, 06:01 AM   #5
dunivanb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyesterpig View Post
I really like the 50535 too. I have seen them sell for $19,500.00 recently. Still hesitant to make the purchase though. Not an easy sell if I end up not liking it. Probably because it is a Cellini.
This! I really think Cellini moves inverse to normal Rolex - the demand doesn't ever seem to have been there. That said, I got a bit taken advantage of on my first CPO purchase and am hoping to avoid that mistake.
Old 22 February 2024, 08:26 AM   #6
MovieGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunivanb View Post
Long time since I visited, but I like the 50535 as a dress watch. I have a SD as a daily wear, and it looks like this was only discontinued last year.

Am I crazy to think I can find one new at an AD? Would they have had to go back when discontinued?

It also looks like the MSRP was 26500, and I can get it used for less - is that "normal" for a discontinued watch?
It's very possible, Cellini are/were never big sellers. Watches don't go back when they're discontinued. The AD owns them. At the AD I worked at, we had an 18k WG ladies Pearlmaster in the case for 11 years.
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 12:33 PM   #7
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Would buy gently preowned vs new . Wolvyn watches in Plano/Dallas Texas has a well priced mint one that I saw in their store.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 07:27 PM   #8
Saxonite
"TRF" Member

You never know. It’s possible. It’s a beautiful watch. My dad got his Cellini moonphase a few years ago and it’s a stunning piece. Easily the best of the Cellini line.
Saxonite is offline   Reply With Quote