The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 March 2024, 01:48 AM   #1
DL19
"TRF" Member

How picky are you...

If you had the chance to purchase either a Nautilus or Aquanaut (or both) at retail but the watch would not be in your name, would you go for it?

Been reading a lot about some of us who are picky about these sort of things but at Retail the trade off is maybe too good to pass up...

Curious to know where everyone stands!
DL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 01:54 AM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL19 View Post
If you had the chance to purchase either a Nautilus or Aquanaut (or both) at retail but the watch would not be in your name, would you go for it?

Been reading a lot about some of us who are picky about these sort of things but at Retail the trade off is maybe too good to pass up...

In the current market how can you buy at retail and not be the first buyer?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 02:00 AM   #3
macluven
"TRF" Member

Why not?? I would and DID get a 38mm AP RO Chrono. My brother in law has buying history with an AP boutique, and I know that there would be no way I would be able to get such a watch at retail without spending an arm and a leg and waiting for years.

I have the watch, box, and papers, so what if it's not in my name (I don't think the card shows the name anyways)? The only difference that would make is if I plan on buying more APs in the future. The boutique that he got it from is in another state, so I would have to start a relationship with a local boutique anyways.

It's like going grey for a watch, but you get it at retail and you know it's legit. I personally don't have an issue with it, others may think otherwise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP.jpg (93.2 KB, 1312 views)
Philippians 4:11–13
macluven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 02:27 AM   #4
HMHM
"TRF" Member

No. I would not... buying watches is not just about $$$. Having the watch in my name and knowing the start of the watch's history matter A LOT to me. The provenance of the watch is almost as important as its authenticity in my opinion. If I can't get the watch in my name and at retail, I rather buy something else that I like than have the illusion of a watch being mine when it's under someone's else name.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 02:49 AM   #5
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
No. I would not... buying watches is not just about $$$. Having the watch in my name and knowing the start of the watch's history matter A LOT to me. The provenance of the watch is almost as important as its authenticity in my opinion. If I can't get the watch in my name and at retail, I rather buy something else that I like than have the illusion of a watch being mine when it's under someone's else name.
Unfortunately it’s just not posssible with Patek for most models
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 03:30 AM   #6
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
Unfortunately it’s just not posssible with Patek for most models
Yes I understand that. That’s why I said that I rather buy other things with the same amount of money and enjoy it the fullest, rather than buying a Nautilus or an Aquanaut without my name on it. Obviously different people will have different opinion, and I respect how they want to spend their money. It’s just not for me.
Old 22 March 2024, 03:31 AM   #7
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Doesn’t mean a thing to me.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 04:35 AM   #8
unotaz
"TRF" Member

If it's retail msrp, go for it!
unotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 05:14 AM   #9
ts3
"TRF" Member

I'd buy a brand new 5740/1G at retail no matter which name is in the papers as long as it does come with papers. Little chance to get one in my name as my AD got axed. Same is probably true for 5968A. Not interested in any other Nautilus or Aquanaut at this point.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 05:28 AM   #10
Johndong888
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I'd buy a brand new 5740/1G at retail no matter which name is in the papers as long as it does come with papers. Little chance to get one in my name as my AD got axed. Same is probably true for 5968A. Not interested in any other Nautilus or Aquanaut at this point.

Lol I’m pretty picky myself too. Hard pass even at MSRP. Tho I would waver hard for the 5740. Le sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johndong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 05:41 AM   #11
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
So no preowned houses, cars etc?
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 05:51 AM   #12
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
So no preowned houses, cars etc?
So far that’s the case… properties direct from developer. Cars directly from the dealer. We try to pick properties from developer and ride the wave upwards, rather than buying from a sub-sale. Cars wise only from dealer, but will consider approved/CPO from the dealer if suitable.

I actually had this discussion with a family member about this today regarding purchase of a retail complex in an established neighbourhood at 11 million, or a purchase directly from the developer at 2.5 million but at a satellite city an hour away. Would rather buy 4 in a row in a new development area and see how it goes over the next 10 years.
Old 22 March 2024, 06:02 AM   #13
strettyend
"TRF" Member

I don’t look at my papers again after confirming serial numbers
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 06:23 AM   #14
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndong888 View Post
Lol I’m pretty picky myself too. Hard pass even at MSRP. Tho I would waver hard for the 5740. Le sigh.

The one issue I have is that I still see the 5940 as the EUR 100k MSRP watch it was in 2018. I have yet to fully come to terms with its current MSRP of EUR 150k... LOL
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 07:34 AM   #15
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nope brand new at retail I don’t care if my name is on the papers

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 07:37 AM   #16
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I wouldn’t buy a brand new car from a dealership if it had more than 0 miles on the odometer. Maybe I’m too picky. It cost me a La Ferrari.

Old 22 March 2024, 07:56 AM   #17
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post

Great question Russell. How’s the MR??

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 08:06 AM   #18
Emery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Someone else (presumably with history) buys it from the shop and sells it to OP at whatever price they got it for.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 08:37 AM   #19
Sunny_Submariner
"TRF" Member

I am going to say that if you are going to get a pricey watch at retail, get it under your name. I personally would want to be the first owner.
Sunny_Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 08:37 AM   #20
Medem
2024 Pledge Member

Buying a new watch that has been allocated to someone else, almost certainly not.
Buying a preowned watch, probably yes.
It would all depend on provenance and context.
Medem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 09:35 AM   #21
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by macluven View Post
Why not?? I would and DID get a 38mm AP RO Chrono. My brother in law has buying history with an AP boutique, and I know that there would be no way I would be able to get such a watch at retail without spending an arm and a leg and waiting for years.

I have the watch, box, and papers, so what if it's not in my name (I don't think the card shows the name anyways)? The only difference that would make is if I plan on buying more APs in the future. The boutique that he got it from is in another state, so I would have to start a relationship with a local boutique anyways.

It's like going grey for a watch, but you get it at retail and you know it's legit. I personally don't have an issue with it, others may think otherwise.
AP does not have names on warranty cards. Unlike Patek which shows your name and address (this is now optional for some countries).
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 09:38 AM   #22
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
For Patek, i only buy new from boutique/AD. Since your name is on the papers, that kind of thing bothers me. Luxury watches are very emotional purchases so when something isnt right, it just isnt right.

Some people mentioned so no used cars? Cars are different. Why? Because there is usually some form of government entity proving your ownership and proper paperwork to prove it. Ofcourse if the vehicle had been in an accident or been stolen etc,all this would normally become evident. On the contrary with watches, I always feel the watch is never really "yours" if you buy grey (even though I know it is ofcourse) but there is not proper watch register that 100% proves the watch is not stolen and shows its history.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 11:53 AM   #23
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Yes I would; while I prefer having my name on papers, I would NOT pass an opportunity to buy a Nautilus or Aquanaut at MSRP. If you REALLY want one in your name, buy this one, wear it, enjoy it, and work on getting one allocated to you. Sell this one when your's comes in...

But passing up an opportunity to buy at MSPR is silly.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 07:48 PM   #24
DL19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A close friend with history doing it as a favour.
DL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 07:51 PM   #25
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
For me, that signature will not add or subtract to the enjoyment of the timepiece one bit. Let’s also put it in perspective… it’s a piece of paper that has no value to you when you leave this world. Even Patek, in an advertisement, states that you are only holding onto to it for the next generation!

Seize the moment and buy that watch! Enjoy!!!
mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 09:26 PM   #26
Vasco
"TRF" Member

I personally don't value my name on the papers. It's nice but nothing more to me. As a side note, if you sell your watch later on, your name and adress will fly all over the world.

Yet, some people would value buying a second hand watch with "open" papers, i.e. with no name at all (I don't know if it's still possible today).

By definition, you'll have a name every time you buy a watch that isn't available anymore at retailers (except the very small % of "open" papers). So, if one day a watch fan wants any older chrongoraphs or PC, they'll have to accept it (again, except a premium with the rare "open" papers still available in the wild).

To me, it's more about the watch and its state.
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 09:41 PM   #27
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
At the Patek/AP price level, I personally want a complete set, but I don’t care if it is my name on the papers or someone else’s. My first ROC was a trade with a well-known Chicago watch dealer and I thought it was kind of cool that the watch had that history.

I also think that price plays a role too. Popular models like a Nautilus would be bought at MSRP vs maybe 2X MSRP on the secondary market. That’s an easy decision because you get the watch cheaper and it has your name on it. But a watch like the Code QP that is $106k MSRP and about $75k unworn on the secondary market is a different story. I’d gladly save the money on the gray market in this case and not worry about the name on any papers.

srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 10:49 PM   #28
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
It's all about the watch and not my name on the papers under this circumstance. You are not getting the watch unless you, yes you, have a significant buy history and even then allocation will be difficult. A friend is doing you a great favor, it does not impact the value of the watch and it is a great model. Get the watch, wear it and enjoy it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2024, 02:43 AM   #29
Medem
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
A close friend with history doing it as a favour.
Or a client who has been allocated that piece does not wish to buy it. In principle, the AD should return the piece and let the manufacturer allocate, but the AD chooses to allocate it instead to another of their clients. No one’s track record with the manufacturer gets hurt. The watch is just as perfect. Only the certificate is not right.
Medem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2024, 03:16 AM   #30
macluven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
AP does not have names on warranty cards. Unlike Patek which shows your name and address (this is now optional for some countries).
It's been a while, but I want to say that Rolex/ADs use to write your name onto the warranty card when you get it. Nowadays, I've been seeing that most brands (Rolex, Omega, Tudor) just provide you with the warranty card with the date of purchase and the serial number on the card.

I want to say my Daytona from 2014 has my name and date of purchase but can't confirm because my wife stashed the box away. However, I can confirm that my recent purchases of Tudors, Omegas, and Rolex only have the date of purchase hand written and the serial number etched or stamped on the card. Unfortunately, I don't own PP or VC at the moment, maybe one day.
Philippians 4:11–13
macluven is offline   Reply With Quote