The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 June 2016, 09:35 AM   #61
acf321
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14270 /16610
Lovely wartch cgn!

Only question i have is if i look very closely at the number 3 I can see that the lume application does not line up perfectly to the painted 3 on the dial and same for the 6. This may mean it was re-applied at a later date, or may have been done via another method to the other watches shown on this thread. There may be nothing at all wrong with this approach, so please don't take this as a criticism.

I am abdolutely not an expert, but this is one small observation I have noted. The hands and dial look aged and authentic and case appears to be good. Well done!
acf321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2016, 06:36 PM   #62
cgn_watch
"TRF" Member

hello acf,

thank you for your observation, I noticed the same regarding the lume...so, what does this mean? re-lumed? is this really bad considering the value of the watch?

besides, any other opinions regarding authenticity of the dial? read a lengthy article the other day on rolex passion report about fake/real vintage rolex dials and I am a bit unsure at the moment. can anyone who has a better understanding of dials than me lean in on this?

thank you in advance.
cgn_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2016, 12:40 AM   #63
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgn_watch View Post
hello acf,

thank you for your observation, I noticed the same regarding the lume...so, what does this mean? re-lumed? is this really bad considering the value of the watch?

besides, any other opinions regarding authenticity of the dial? read a lengthy article the other day on rolex passion report about fake/real vintage rolex dials and I am a bit unsure at the moment. can anyone who has a better understanding of dials than me lean in on this?

thank you in advance.
Since you already own the watch and as such learning about the authenticity isn't time-sensitive, the very best thing to do is to find a well-established and respected watchmaker near you who has extensive experience with Rolex watches, usually you can find these types because they often sell vintage pieces.

He will then be able to look at the dial under a loupe, remove the back and tell you if you need oil or a service, and inspect all the parts for authenticity. There is only so much we can tell you here in photographs. Since you're the owner, it's easier and more effective for you to get an opinion from a local watchmaker.

When you do, don't be a stranger, come back and tell us what he said.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2016, 08:29 AM   #64
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo38 View Post

Here's my 1016. Serial is 9,064,xxx which I believe dates to 1985...

What I'm most curious about is if this is an original dial or a tritium service dial...

Well, sillo38, I was going to post this next watch from my collection in its own thread, but it may be relevant to the questions here so please allow me to append it :

My hacking 1016 has the same dial as the OP's, as can be demonstrated here:

Note the same two "E"s in "EXPLORER" with their high, horizontal mid-stroke and the proximity of the letters "PLO". There are similar dials in this thread where the coronet may lead you to think they are the same, but the word "EXPLORER" proves otherwise.

Mine is an 8-million case number and was bought from former UK main agent William Pyke & Son in 1986. The case number I know to be from 1984.

Importantly, I can confirm that there are no Rolex UK service marks inside the case back of my watch. I think it most unlikely that the watch would have received a service dial without going back for a full service and believe that this dial is original to the watch.

I have identified a number of watches in the 8-9million range, all of which have this version of the dial with the high-stroke "E"s in Explorer. It is inconceivable that all these exemplars have had service dials fitted, so I would be satisfied that this exact dial is correct and original for the period.

Some extra pics for the sake of it :

Note the slight paint flaw in the "C" of "CHRONOMETER," above. How watch manufacturers must curse the advent of macro photography and watch fora!

Haywood Milton
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2016, 02:01 AM   #65
watchmaniac
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Were there any white dial 1016 ever produced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2016, 03:32 AM   #66
acf321
"TRF" Member

Quick one If I may. Did the original outer box for the 1980, or any model 1016 have a 'seahorse' outer box? I am lookimg for a box and have found one which I wm told is correct for my specific watch. I though seahorse outer might describe a diver specific model??

Keen to know about this point.
Old 23 June 2016, 05:03 AM   #67
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by acf321 View Post
Quick one If I may. Did the original outer box for the 1980, or any model 1016 have a 'seahorse' outer box? I am lookimg for a box and have found one which I wm told is correct for my specific watch. I though seahorse outer might describe a diver specific model??

Keen to know about this point.
Sea horse boxes were used prior to 1980. Outside the USA, you need to look for a box with the large oyster on it or a moonscape box.

USA watches used the Bufkor boxes from mid-1970s to late 1980s.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2016, 08:25 AM   #68
acf321
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Sea horse boxes were used prior to 1980. Outside the USA, you need to look for a box with the large oyster on it or a moonscape box.

USA watches used the Bufkor boxes from mid-1970s to late 1980s.
Ok Thanks John,

The box vendor tells me this was the correct box from 76-82 for the 1016... Funny that!!! My specific watch was sold new in Manchester UK, so would that mean I need the oyster box?
Old 8 July 2016, 04:55 AM   #69
Skidrowe
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
Perfect. I've concluded that I have a service crystal with a beveled edge. I've done some interweb research (how official) and learned that crystals for the 1016 are all called "T22" but the 1960-1990 T22 was fully domed (like your new replacement) and the post-1990 RSC replacement T22 was beveled with a less dramatic dome (like mine).

Interesting exchange here, the thoughts of someone on the subject are food for thought:

Vintage Domed Crystal Tropic 22

Pro:

-would give a nice and special reflection on the outer edge of the glass in certain lighting conditions

-the soft edges would magnify a bit more the dials indices, strokes. Elongating them a bit in certain viewing angles. Is also considered as a positive special result.

Con:

-dial and overall appearance of the watch is much bulkier. Dial appears smaller than it really is.

-Not so elegant crystal parameters with that fat dome

Modern Service Crystal Tropic 22

Pro:

-clear vision of the dial in as good as all viewing angles. Almost no distortions.

-the minimal dome gives some special reflections in certain viewing angles

-more precise, thin appearance corresponding to the Explorer style

Con:

-the precise beveled edge is easy damaged/scratched if not that careful when worn.

-The domed crystal too, but as the edge is soft it can be polished better.

Discussion and photos here:

https://rwg.cc/topic/174395-vintage-1016-dome-or-bevel
Can somebody help me identify what dome my 1016 has? I have owned it since 1986 and know very little about the model.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160707_095253.jpg (72.3 KB, 590 views)
File Type: jpg 20160707_095333.jpg (49.6 KB, 585 views)
Skidrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2016, 05:53 AM   #70
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidrowe View Post
Can somebody help me identify what dome my 1016 has? I have owned it since 1986 and know very little about the model.

Thanks

First off, welcome.

To me, it looks like a beveled edge service crystal like mine (above) and others in this thread. Has a gentle dome, not as severe as an original T22.

Are you the original owner?
Old 8 July 2016, 06:06 AM   #71
Skidrowe
"TRF" Member

Quote:

First off, welcome.

To me, it looks like a beveled edge service crystal like mine (above) and others in this thread. Has a gentle dome, not as severe as an original T22.

Are you the original owner?
Thanks for the welcome, I bought the watch new in 86' and it has spent most of it's life in a drawer. As far as I recall it has only been serviced once.

Was crystal replacement a standard procedure? The serial number is in the 850 range.

Thanks for the help!
Old 8 July 2016, 09:17 AM   #72
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome, I bought the watch new in 86' and it has spent most of it's life in a drawer. As far as I recall it has only been serviced once.

Was crystal replacement a standard procedure? The serial number is in the 850 range.

Thanks for the help!
Fantastic, it's rare to run into an original 1016 owner. Yours is quite desirable if you have the box and papers as it's a late-model, towards the end of the 1016's legendary run. I looked for months for one just like yours, couldn't find it anywhere. Love the one I have though, so no regrets.

850 range looks to be 1984-1985 which sync's to your purchase history.

Others are far more expert than I on the topic, but yes, if your watch was serviced by Rolex themselves they would take any action necessary to return it to as-new condition including the changing of the crystal, swapping of hands, changing the dial, etc. Yours has the Jubilee bracelet which was not standard on this watch, it would have come with an Oyster bracelet like the one in my photos. Do you still have it?

For a good forensic by the experts in this forum, suggest you take several hi-res photos and post them, if you have the box and papers you can post those too but cover any sensitive information.
Old 8 July 2016, 10:25 PM   #73
Skidrowe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fantastic, it's rare to run into an original 1016 owner. Yours is quite desirable if you have the box and papers as it's a late-model, towards the end of the 1016's legendary run. I looked for months for one just like yours, couldn't find it anywhere. Love the one I have though, so no regrets.

850 range looks to be 1984-1985 which sync's to your purchase history.

Others are far more expert than I on the topic, but yes, if your watch was serviced by Rolex themselves they would take any action necessary to return it to as-new condition including the changing of the crystal, swapping of hands, changing the dial, etc. Yours has the Jubilee bracelet which was not standard on this watch, it would have come with an Oyster bracelet like the one in my photos. Do you still have it?

For a good forensic by the experts in this forum, suggest you take several hi-res photos and post them, if you have the box and papers you can post those too but cover any sensitive information.
Thanks for the info, I purchased it with the jubilee bracelet and never considered keeping both. I can't remember the details. It was so long ago!

I'll dig up the box and papers and post some better photos. Once again, thanks for the expert info, this is fascinating, from a watch i purchased after getting my first job to becoming something quite desirable.
Old 8 July 2016, 11:48 PM   #74
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Quote:
crystal replacement
I have to say I just had a 1018 go through RSC and the crystal they put on it has the same sorta-top-hat profile as yours. My 1016 has a far more pronounced curve, domed right out of the bezel, my other 1018 has an intermediate profile (possibly the original crystal).

I think the curved, domed crystal looks best on the 1016. The 1018 can handle a flatter profile, those stick hands and stick markers go well with the straight lines whereas the 1016 is all curves.

If I had the 1018-profile crystal on my 1016 I'd pay to have it changed, it looks so much better.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2016, 12:08 AM   #75
s1nn3d
"TRF" Member

Watch: what i'm wearing
Here's my 3.69m SN piece with domed T22 crystal...
s1nn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2016, 01:10 AM   #76
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
I have to say I just had a 1018 go through RSC and the crystal they put on it has the same sorta-top-hat profile as yours. My 1016 has a far more pronounced curve, domed right out of the bezel, my other 1018 has an intermediate profile (possibly the original crystal).

I think the curved, domed crystal looks best on the 1016. The 1018 can handle a flatter profile, those stick hands and stick markers go well with the straight lines whereas the 1016 is all curves.

If I had the 1018-profile crystal on my 1016 I'd pay to have it changed, it looks so much better.

Not sure what a 1018 crystal looks like but even though beveled the 1016 still has a curve and a dome to it edge-to-edge. It's just more subtle.

I agreed with your premise a few months ago but when I went to Hong Kong and saw a physical 1016 with the T22 fully-domed crystal I was disappointed. The more pronounced dome makes the face of the watch look smaller and puts more emphasis on the case/bracelet whereas the service replacement is lightly domed and puts more emphasis on the dial, it looks lower and flatter as a result. The bigger dome also distorts the edge register and the numbers where the semi-dome and its beveled edge provides a more clear and straightforward view.

Both approaches are fine, the 1016 is just a stunning watch either way, but I surprisingly found I liked the lower/wider dial with semi-dome look more than I did the taller/smaller dial with full-dome look. Guess after a few months of using it I got used to it and prefer it this way.
Old 9 July 2016, 01:27 AM   #77
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I purchased it with the jubilee bracelet and never considered keeping both. I can't remember the details. It was so long ago!

I'll dig up the box and papers and post some better photos. Once again, thanks for the expert info, this is fascinating, from a watch i purchased after getting my first job to becoming something quite desirable.
Happy to help!

Something I can assist with right away is your crystal. It's plastic and you can buff all the scuffs and scratches out today with a t-shirt and some household products like toothpaste or brass polish. Let me know if you want to tackle that and we can get you the info.
Old 9 July 2016, 01:43 AM   #78
Skidrowe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Happy to help!

Something I can assist with right away is your crystal. It's plastic and you can buff all the scuffs and scratches out today with a t-shirt and some household products like toothpaste or brass polish. Let me know if you want to tackle that and we can get you the info.
Thanks for the warm welcome, really happy to have found this forum.
Old 9 July 2016, 02:19 AM   #79
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1nn3d View Post
Here's my 3.69m SN piece with domed T22 crystal...
Stunning!
Old 9 July 2016, 02:42 AM   #80
s1nn3d
"TRF" Member

Watch: what i'm wearing
Quote:
Stunning!
Thanks, speedolex!
s1nn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2016, 09:03 AM   #81
Shaka2015
"TRF" Member

My new to me 1016 back from service at ABC.
Also procured a T-22 superdome, which I am loving...

Shaka2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2016, 09:10 AM   #82
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaka2015 View Post
My new to me 1016 back from service at ABC.
Also procured a T-22 superdome, which I am loving...

Did ABC send your watch back from service with those spring bars?
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2016, 09:17 AM   #83
Shaka2015
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
Did ABC send your watch back from service with those spring bars?

No, I just took my bracelet from my 1018 and tried it on my 1016. I have a leather strap for my 1016, which they returned with the correct spring bars. Here is what it looked like pre-service:

Old 9 July 2016, 10:35 AM   #84
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
No, I just took my bracelet from my 1018 and tried it on my 1016. I have a leather strap for my 1016, which they returned with the correct spring bars. Here is what it looked like pre-service:
I don't think I've ever seen a dome that pronounced before. That's a 'superdome'? Where did you get it?
Old 9 July 2016, 10:39 AM   #85
Shaka2015
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen a dome that pronounced before. That's a 'superdome'? Where did you get it?

Apologies - probably used the wrong terminology!

Old 9 July 2016, 12:22 PM   #86
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Apologies - probably used the wrong terminology!
No, not at all! Unless you have a squirrely camera lens I have never seen a superdome that "super" before, that's all. The photos make yours look exceptionally round.
Old 10 July 2016, 02:08 AM   #87
Shaka2015
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, not at all! Unless you have a squirrely camera lens I have never seen a superdome that "super" before, that's all. The photos make yours look exceptionally round.
It's a T-22 domed crystal...I think it may be the angle. I'll post a better picture later today.
Old 10 July 2016, 02:59 AM   #88
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
It's a T-22 domed crystal...I think it may be the angle. I'll post a better picture later today.
Cool! Look forward to it.
Old 13 July 2016, 12:33 PM   #89
Shaka2015
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cool! Look forward to it.

Here you go -- some more pics.

Old 13 July 2016, 09:58 PM   #90
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Wow, that T-22 is a very interesting look. Makes the rehaut and the lugs look HUGE. Also the chapter ring if you look at the right angle! I'm not sure I don't prefer the semi-domed one I have on mine but I think I'll install the superdome on one of my project watches.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote