The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 March 2019, 02:15 PM   #1
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
AD in Koreatown in L.A.

We are visiting L.A. for Spring Break. After a day at Universal Studios, we popped in to Koreatown for dinner. Fantastic as always. Then I stumbled upon a Rolex A.D. who had all three models on my short list; Pepsi, Z Blue and Polar Explorer II.

I should say, the Pepsi wasn't for sale, but was on hold for a big time customer. i totally get that. However, they were nice enough to let me take a look at it. Man was it stunning in real life! Also of note, they still had a white Milgauss in inventory. Was really surprised to see one of those still hanging around years after being discontinued.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 04:52 PM   #2
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Nice they let you try it on.

Many people will never even get to see one in the metal.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 05:58 PM   #3
trelane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple Series 1
Was it Saint Cross? That's where I got my wife's DJ way back in the day.
trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 08:10 PM   #4
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Nice! I’m currently in LA for the spring break as well but have not visited the place in Koreatown. Maybe I should drop by and have a check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 04:49 AM   #5
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
Nice! I’m currently in LA for the spring break as well but have not visited the place in Koreatown. Maybe I should drop by and have a check.

I was really surprised how much inventory they had. All three Milgausses, Air-King, Explorer, both Explorer II's, OP's and a million DJ's. So none of the hard to get models (although probably in the back), but plenty to choose from.

I recommend stopping in. They were super friendly too.
Old 16 March 2019, 04:50 AM   #6
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trelane View Post
Was it Saint Cross? That's where I got my wife's DJ way back in the day.
I believe that's the one. We are staying in Santa Monica. Going to walk down to the A.D. near the Pier later today. You never know, maybe they just got a Daytona in minutes before and I'll get lucky.
Old 16 March 2019, 05:01 AM   #7
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I visited the Geary's Boutique in Santa Monica a couple weeks ago. Pretty large inventory minus the usual hot models. Friendly sales guy told me they have real lists with local buyers having preference. He gave me the latest Rolex magazine to peruse on the way home.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 05:05 AM   #8
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
I believe that's the one. We are staying in Santa Monica. Going to walk down to the A.D. near the Pier later today. You never know, maybe they just got a Daytona in minutes before and I'll get lucky.
Rafael and Daniel are both great there. Make sure to stop by Elephante or The Misfit for a cocktail before!

Last time I stopped by about a month ago I was shocked to see both a white and black dial Exp II in the display case.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 05:09 AM   #9
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Had to have been Saint Cross. I think that's the only one in K-town. It feels kind of like a hidden gem when you walk in. They seem like a pretty straigh shooting AD. They took my name down for a Polar, and called me when it came in. They were also very understanding when I told them that I was no longer in the market for one.

Hope you and your family enjoy your stay here, Mike! I would also recommend stopping by Feldmar if you have time. They don't sell Rolex, but a ton of other brands, and some great people on their staff including the owner (it has stayed in the family since opening in 1913.) You will feel like a kid in a candy shop. I'm fortunate to live right down the street so I visit often.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 05:10 AM   #10
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
Rafael and Daniel are both great there. Make sure to stop by Elephante or The Misfit for a cocktail before!

Last time I stopped by about a month ago I was shocked to see both a white and black dial Exp II in the display case.
The white dial Exp. II is probably the same one I passed up
Old 16 March 2019, 05:16 AM   #11
chloebear
Banned

Quote:

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll do just that. There are so many choices, but getting recommendations from the locals is the way to go. The lady we rented the Air BnB from recommended Egg Slut for breakfast and Great White for coffee and they were both fantastic!
Old 16 March 2019, 05:51 AM   #12
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll do just that. There are so many choices, but getting recommendations from the locals is the way to go. The lady we rented the Air BnB from recommended Egg Slut for breakfast and Great White for coffee and they were both fantastic!
Both of those spots are great for breakfast. Bluestone Lane in Venice (on Rose) and Bondi Harvest (closer to Sawtelle area) are also two other personal favorites for breakfast in the area.

If you like fine Italian, check out Capo in Santa Monica for dinner. I don't usually like going out for Italian very often but that place has the best Italian food in LA in my opinion! Their white corn ravioli with black truffles is a life-changing dish

Baltaire in Brentwood is my favorite seafood/steakhouse, especially if you're looking for something different from the usual suspects like Mastro's or Cut in BH.

Enjoy your time in the west side - feel free to PM me if you want any other recommendations while you're in town. I'm local in BH/Century City area.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 06:05 AM   #13
kwingy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post

I got to try one on as my friend is a grey watch dealer and had one - I can honestly say anyone that pays a grey market price for this watch must have serious money to burn and their head checked out - it's nice but not 13-14k. It's not even 10k nice if I am honest.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 06:21 AM   #14
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Both of those spots are great for breakfast. Bluestone Lane in Venice (on Rose) and Bondi Harvest (closer to Sawtelle area) are also two other personal favorites for breakfast in the area.

If you like fine Italian, check out Capo in Santa Monica for dinner. I don't usually like going out for Italian very often but that place has the best Italian food in LA in my opinion! Their white corn ravioli with black truffles is a life-changing dish

Baltaire in Brentwood is my favorite seafood/steakhouse, especially if you're looking for something different from the usual suspects like Mastro's or Cut in BH.

Enjoy your time in the west side - feel free to PM me if you want any other recommendations while you're in town. I'm local in BH/Century City area.

Thanks so much! I heard we lucked out on the weather because it has been perfect. Doing a few touristy things...Going to a taping of Wheel of Fortune today and sailing tomorrow. I'll definitely try some of the restaurant recommendations. Thanks again! Love this area.
Old 16 March 2019, 06:23 AM   #15
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largoshark View Post
Had to have been Saint Cross. I think that's the only one in K-town. It feels kind of like a hidden gem when you walk in. They seem like a pretty straigh shooting AD. They took my name down for a Polar, and called me when it came in. They were also very understanding when I told them that I was no longer in the market for one.

Hope you and your family enjoy your stay here, Mike! I would also recommend stopping by Feldmar if you have time. They don't sell Rolex, but a ton of other brands, and some great people on their staff including the owner (it has stayed in the family since opening in 1913.) You will feel like a kid in a candy shop. I'm fortunate to live right down the street so I visit often.
Thanks so much Mike! For some reason the wife and kids don't share my enthusiasm for so much watch shopping, but if I can break away I'll definitely check out Feldmar. I'm a Rolex guy, but certainly enjoy other brands. I branched into Panerai recently and loving them too. I'm a little bummed the JLC AD was closed yesterday. I've been eyeballing a Master Control for quite some time.
Old 16 March 2019, 06:28 AM   #16
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post

Many pepsi will never even get to see light of day because they will just be sitting inside the box, waiting to be flipped next. :p
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 06:30 AM   #17
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
Many pepsi will never even get to see light of day because they will just be sitting inside the box, waiting to be flipped next. :p
That's unfortunate. Most members here buy them to wear. If I'm patient I'll be able to get one from my local AD. Most likely I'll move on one of my other choices then get a Pepsi in a few years.
Old 16 March 2019, 06:36 AM   #18
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks so much Mike! For some reason the wife and kids don't share my enthusiasm for so much watch shopping, but if I can break away I'll definitely check out Feldmar. I'm a Rolex guy, but certainly enjoy other brands. I branched into Panerai recently and loving them too. I'm a little bummed the JLC AD was closed yesterday. I've been eyeballing a Master Control for quite some time.
Totally understandable. Family time definitely takes precedence. And Feldmar doesn't carry Panerai as far as I know, so may not be worth the time regardless. However, what I like about them is that in addition to many of the usual brands like Omega, Breitling, Tag, IWC etc, they also carry some much less common ones such as GS, Nomos, and Bremont. So lots of variety.

But first and foremost, enjoy the rest of your trip
Old 16 March 2019, 07:01 AM   #19
chloebear
Banned

Thanks so much! Nomos is a cool brand. Picked one up for my wife for Christmas. She loves it!

Old 16 March 2019, 07:54 AM   #20
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
So true
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 08:23 AM   #21
calh22a
Banned

My AD was nice enough to show me a reserved Pepsi when I went to pick up my sub. It’s a nice watch!
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 10:24 AM   #22
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post

Thanks! My kid took me to the jewelry street side of LA where we took brunch at the Broadway Arcade Building. Never got pass the sumptuous brunch but will try the AD you mentioned tomorrow.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 10:31 AM   #23
javierm27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We are visiting L.A. for Spring Break. After a day at Universal Studios, we popped in to Koreatown for dinner. Fantastic as always. Then I stumbled upon a Rolex A.D. who had all three models on my short list; Pepsi, Z Blue and Polar Explorer II.

I should say, the Pepsi wasn't for sale, but was on hold for a big time customer. i totally get that. However, they were nice enough to let me take a look at it. Man was it stunning in real life! Also of note, they still had a white Milgauss in inventory. Was really surprised to see one of those still hanging around years after being discontinued.
That's a hidden gem, and as others have mentioned it's Saint Cross. It's in a shopping plaza, which has some great food spots. I picked up my BLNR in 2016 before the madness began. I remember walking in there seeing it, and then leaving to decide about it. I waited a few weeks then purchased it. If anyone goes there, ask for Andy, he's great.
javierm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:05 PM   #24
Zoomerang
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by javierm27 View Post
That's a hidden gem, and as others have mentioned it's Saint Cross. It's in a shopping plaza, which has some great food spots. I picked up my BLNR in 2016 before the madness began. I remember walking in there seeing it, and then leaving to decide about it. I waited a few weeks then purchased it. If anyone goes there, ask for Andy, he's great.
Chloebear: thanks to your tip I was able to pick up a black dual Explorer II today!

They still have a polar Explorer II, am explorer and Migauss. I also saw a black sea dwellers deep sea.

I agree Andy is great. He let try the BLRO that is waiting it’s new owner.
Zoomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:18 PM   #25
chloebear
Banned

Hey that's awesome Zoomerang! Glad it worked out. The black Explorer II is by far my favorite model and the one I wear most days. Hope you enjoy the heck out of it!
Old 22 March 2019, 01:33 PM   #26
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
I can pick up a Pepsi tomorrow but I'll have to drop serious bucks on a solid gold PM. First world problems for sure.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:35 PM   #27
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
I can pick up a Pepsi tomorrow but I'll have to drop serious bucks on a solid gold PM. First world problems for sure.
Are you going to do it? Which PM model are you thinking about?
Old 22 March 2019, 01:38 PM   #28
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Been there before as well. Decent stock but same problem as everyone else.
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:40 PM   #29
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
Are you going to do it? Which PM model are you thinking about?
Got a few in mind. WG Daytona with Blue Dial, White Gold Sub, Gold Daytona with Green dial. The problem is if I should sell, not that I would, I'd get killed on the PM as they sell for a discount on c24. I'll be paying MSRP + tax. You can see the math is way in favor of the house, just like Vegas.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:47 PM   #30
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Got a few in mind. WG Daytona with Blue Dial, White Gold Sub, Gold Daytona with Green dial. The problem is if I should sell, not that I would, I'd get killed on the PM as they sell for a discount on c24. I'll be paying MSRP + tax. You can see the math is way in favor of the house, just like Vegas.
All fantastic choices, but full retail on a PM model + tax sounds awful. The tax alone is practically an Air-King!

Tags
pepsi