The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 October 2017, 09:08 AM   #1
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Love/Hate Relationship with AP

I seem to developing a love/hate relationship with AP and maybe even haute horology in general.

On one hand, my favorite all-time watch is my 25860 ROC. There’s just something about seeing that bracelet and the hexagonal bezel screws on your wrist. Nothing quite like it to me.

On the other hand, there is service. As chronicled here (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=387844), I had some service-related issues with this watch after a full movement service in late 2014. Then this fall I noticed some slippage of the crown while winding and eventually I could not wind via the crown. So I sent it back in to Clearwater. Today I got a call from Betsy to go over the $3100 estimate. The hairspring was out of place and they say it needed to be replaced and well as the rotor. They asked me if anyone opened the case and I said absolutely not, because it just had a fairly recent full service. And I said that I thought they put stuff on the screws so they can tell if someone opened it anyway (I didn’t really get any acknowledgement of this one way or the other). She said that this can also happen with dropping it but they can’t find any evidence of trauma - sorry I can’t think of a better word. And I can’t remember anything other than an occasional bump of a doorway with any of my watches. So here I am stuck with a bill for about $1400ish for another movement service (why can’t the broken part(s) just be replaced/fixed? It really hasn’t been that long since it was serviced) and $1500ish in parts (which I’ll never be able to verify truly need to be replaced or have indeed been replaced). Since the caseback is solid, I’ll never know if it the rotor is new. The cynic in me thinks when they looked at my file and the times I sent it back, they decided to stick it to me a bit. Can a rotor really wear out? And could the hairspring have gotten out of place because somehow it wasn’t secured properly at the last service? There clearly were some quality control issues the first time.

But at this point, I don’t really have any choice but to pay and fix it because I have a non-functional watch. I guess you’ve got to trust that they’re doing what they need and nothing more. But I am finding it harder to do. I also had a bad experience with Vacheron (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=417222) where they recommended a full service and replacement of the crown and some parts due to wear in June 2015 — a mere 2 months after it received a full service in April 2015 (I had sent it back for a couple of specific issues). It just gets frustrating at times.

So I guess I’m venting a bit and know that there's nothing that anyone can do. But I'm giggling a bit thinking of the types of responses I may get.

1. If that’s the way you feel, don’t ever buy a Porsche/Jaguar/etc.
2. With your luck, remind me not to go in on an investment with you
3. You see that Apple came out with a new watch?
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 09:26 AM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Sorry to hear...That stinks! I was actually going to post tomorrow a positive experience with APSC as got my 15305st back 4 weeks earlier than Betsy quoted me and full service for only $850 including shipping. Maybe you should ask them if they would give you any kind of discount. You just never know. Anyway I hope you get your watch back sooner than later and all resolved.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 11:03 AM   #3
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Sorry to hear Steve...I had my issues with my 25860 after a complete service as well (dial was scratched which they replaced for free, had to send back a third time for poor timing which they claimed was due to oils being dried up not even a year after the service, etc). They always made it right but it was definitely a pain to deal with. Good luck!

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 11:14 AM   #4
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

My experience with APSC so far has been great.
Foxman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 12:18 PM   #5
bluebeamer
"TRF" Member

i've had to send in my ROO 3 times within the first 2 years of ownership. always the same problem that 'the lubricants dried up' causing it to stop.
as it was under warranty, all the servicing was free although each time took almost 2-3 months.
they kindly extended my warranty by a year and offered another free servicing right before the warranty ends in may 2018.
i've heard that servicing an AP is very very expensive, so i'm not looking forward to it when the time comes.
bluebeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 12:31 PM   #6
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Sorry to hear this. I have always had a great experiences when working with APSC

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 03:26 PM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

First off, i see no reason not to trust if they say they are replacing something that they will. I know you can't see the parts due to the solid caseback but they would never not replace something they said they would IMO.

Sorry for the experience. I know i have had my own issues with London APSC, but it was never related to the quality of work on my watch. I would give clearwater the benefit of the doubt here as the prices are the prices and i don't think that the fact the watch needs parts replaced necessarily has anything to do with something they did or caused. It seems like bad luck, although that doesn't make it any easier to accept.

Im guessing if you explained the repair issues that have happened previously though they may reduce the price as a goodwill gesture as its out of warranty, but not that far out of warranty. If you had a two year service warranty issued late 2014 its not out of the realm of possibility.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 04:35 PM   #8
El-Sigma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Im guessing if you explained the repair issues that have happened previously though they may reduce the price as a goodwill gesture as its out of warranty, but not that far out of warranty. If you had a two year service warranty issued late 2014 its not out of the realm of possibility.
I agree with the above.

I would add that if I remember well, you can ask to see the replaced spare parts.
El-Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 04:47 PM   #9
Amiroo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak Chrono
Is Betsy an actual person or just he given name to anyone that answers the phone??
Rolex GMT-Master II BLNR 116710
Amiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 06:12 PM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiroo View Post
Is Betsy an actual person or just he given name to anyone that answers the phone??

Lol Betsy is a real person. Luz, Betsy and Stacy are all people I’ve talked to.
Old 14 October 2017, 02:56 AM   #11
CrEsTo
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex/Indies
I´d demand to have the charges waived or at the very least a substancial discount since you just had it serviced.

Very poor form.
CrEsTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 04:07 AM   #12
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Seems like the lottery some times, you are either lucky or unlucky with a watch, good luck that's not cool
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 04:37 AM   #13
tng11
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about your bad experience Steve. I would be pretty upset if I was in your shoes too.

APSC has generally been great to me - great turnaround times and communication.

However, I recently did have a RO Chronograph that had to go in because of a slipped chronograph hand... once it was taken apart I was told that the "movement was all dried up"... which seems to be a pattern developing around here. Watch was a year and a half out of warranty and I had the privilege of paying for a very expensive service.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 07:13 AM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrEsTo View Post
I´d demand to have the charges waived or at the very least a substancial discount since you just had it serviced.

Very poor form.
demanding isn't going to get you anywhere
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote