The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 October 2017, 12:07 AM   #1
Bryan23N
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26400SO
Forged Carbon vs Offshore Chronograph Diver

Given the choice between the forged carbon 44mm against the yellow Offshore Chrono Diver, which would you guys pick? Bear in mind this will be a companion to a 41mm blue dial royal oak.

I'm stuck in between as the forged carbon is a completely different material and look from the 15400. However, the yellow Offshore Chrono Diver is way sportier and is of a very unique color.

Which would you choose?? Any opinions would be nice. I'm leaning more towards the forged carbon, but the limited edition of 375 is pulling its weight in my decision making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bryan23N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 12:26 AM   #2
ndrenfro
"TRF" Member

Forged Carbon vs Offshore Chronograph Diver

I’ve had the forged carbon 44. It’s very nice and very light. However if you are going for the black look, I would suggest a ceramic case. The finishing of AP Ceramic is something special. And I think it will wear better than the FC in the long run. You could find a ceramic with black dial, anthracite dial, or the new one with gold highlights.

And I would agree with going for the 44 over the Chrono Diver.
ndrenfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 01:01 AM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

of those two the FC. Not a fan of the chrono divers in any color.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 01:07 AM   #4
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
The FC.

The colored divers are cartoony to me to be honest although if I am still in my 20s, I will probably get the yellow one.
Old 17 October 2017, 01:12 AM   #5
Bryan23N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
The FC.

The colored divers are cartoony to me to be honest although if I am still in my 20s, I will probably get the yellow one.

To be fair Ben, I am in my twenties

Old 17 October 2017, 01:13 AM   #6
Bryan23N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrenfro View Post
I’ve had the forged carbon 44. It’s very nice and very light. However if you are going for the black look, I would suggest a ceramic case. The finishing of AP Ceramic is something special. And I think it will wear better than the FC in the long run. You could find a ceramic with black dial, anthracite dial, or the new one with gold highlights.

Thanks for your input! However, I don't think I feel like stretching the budget for the Premium of the ceramic over the FC! How has the FC aged for you? Does it scratch easily?

Old 17 October 2017, 01:14 AM   #7
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:

Agree with this! I’m a big fan of the CE watches

I tried on the orange Diver and it really didn’t sing to me.

The FC 44 is pretty cool (see below) but if it is the black dial you like, i would suggest the older version of the CE 44 with the same dial

HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 01:20 AM   #8
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan23N View Post
To be fair Ben, I am in my twenties

Oh I change my tune then! By all means, get the Colored Diver! Will suit you perfectly with their youthful looks.

P/S: The FC44 does have the advantage of being very light and hence very comfortable for daily wearing.
Old 17 October 2017, 01:20 AM   #9
ndrenfro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for your input! However, I don't think I feel like stretching the budget for the Premium of the ceramic over the FC! How has the FC aged for you? Does it scratch easily?

I only kept the FC for a couple months. To me, it felt like it would scratch easily. If not scratch, then it seemed like the edges of the case would soften up. I switched to the ceramic/anthracite dial which I really liked. The ceramic won’t scratch, the edges will stay sharp, and the finishing is so nice. I think it’s worth the premium. Others who have had the FC for longer may chime in with their input.
ndrenfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 01:28 AM   #10
tng11
"TRF" Member

FC is better for daily wear - the lightweight case makes it more comfortable for daily wear.

As for wear and tear - there's going to be some with FC, but in general it holds up pretty well. I've had my JT for 4 years and there are a few marks in the carbon, but it blends in with the texture of the case and is barely noticeable.

Though if I was given a choice again I would take something in full CE.

Maybe a good middle ground would be a preowned FC Diver? You get the lightweight case, it's 42mm and there's yellow.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 01:29 AM   #11
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post

The FC 44 is pretty cool (see below) but if it is the black dial you like, i would suggest the older version of the CE 44 with the same dial

Sorry for the noob question, but what model references are the second and third pictures? I am interested in learning more about ROO models before making a purchase and would like to educate myself on the difference between these two pieces! Apologies for the thread hijack.....
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 01:36 AM   #12
Bryan23N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Oh I change my tune then! By all means, get the Colored Diver! Will suit you perfectly with their youthful looks.

P/S: The FC44 does have the advantage of being very light and hence very comfortable for daily wearing.
Haha that's exactly where the dilemma lies! I love the sporty and youthful look of the chrono diver. But I have a feeling it will be a painful loss in the wallet come the day I decide to flip it, whereas the forged carbon can be flipped easily and would be very practical for daily use!
Old 17 October 2017, 01:36 AM   #13
Bryan23N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I only kept the FC for a couple months. To me, it felt like it would scratch easily. If not scratch, then it seemed like the edges of the case would soften up. I switched to the ceramic/anthracite dial which I really liked. The ceramic won’t scratch, the edges will stay sharp, and the finishing is so nice. I think it’s worth the premium. Others who have had the FC for longer may chime in with their input.
Thanks for your advice! I might try to snoop around for a ceramic 44 and compare before I decide to follow through with the purchase!
Old 17 October 2017, 01:38 AM   #14
Bryan23N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
FC is better for daily wear - the lightweight case makes it more comfortable for daily wear.

As for wear and tear - there's going to be some with FC, but in general it holds up pretty well. I've had my JT for 4 years and there are a few marks in the carbon, but it blends in with the texture of the case and is barely noticeable.

Though if I was given a choice again I would take something in full CE.

Maybe a good middle ground would be a preowned FC Diver? You get the lightweight case, it's 42mm and there's yellow.
Ahh I see! Is it practically weightless on the wrist? That would be a huge plus for the FC for me! I agree with the FC diver! I would absolutely love it. But apart from being hard to find, it has the closed caseback.
Old 17 October 2017, 02:20 AM   #15
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
Sorry for the noob question, but what model references are the second and third pictures? I am interested in learning more about ROO models before making a purchase and would like to educate myself on the difference between these two pieces! Apologies for the thread hijack.....
26405ce - anthracite dial, ceramic
26400au - black dial, forged carbon
Old 17 October 2017, 02:23 AM   #16
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The CE should be available for USD3-4K more than the FCs I’ve seen of late (prices for lightly used models)
Old 17 October 2017, 02:40 AM   #17
smg8
Banned

Quote:
26405ce - anthracite dial, ceramic
26400au - black dial, forged carbon
Thank you

Both look amazing. Sadly I think my budget caps me out at a 42mm but doing the man maths as we speak hah!
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 04:19 AM   #18
edoardo14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
of those two the FC. Not a fan of the chrono divers in any color.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
edoardo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 08:27 AM   #19
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
I would go with the 44
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 08:34 AM   #20
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Between the two choices the 44 takes the diver by a country mile for me. Isn't the price quite different between them as well?
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 09:02 AM   #21
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Out of those two I would go with the FC 44mm.

I second looking for an FC diver. Add a yellow strap and its super sporty. If it becomes too much then go back to the black strap.

FC is plenty durable. I've had mine for 5 years and it still looks new. Also like that it has the cut/turned dial like the RO vs. the stamped dials of the ROO. The closed caseback isnt a big deal if you have other RO/ROOs where you can look at the movement on occasion.

I would have a really hard time choosing between the two but with used prices being $10k apart I would lean towards the diver. These two get bay FAR the most wrist time of my APs because of the comfort and durability.

singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 09:22 AM   #22
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post

I second looking for an FC diver. Add a yellow strap and its super sporty. If it becomes too much then go back to the black strap.

FC is plenty durable. I've had mine for 5 years and it still looks new. Also like that it has the cut/turned dial like the RO vs. the stamped dials of the ROO. The closed caseback isnt a big deal if you have other RO/ROOs where you can look at the movement on occasion.

I would have a really hard time choosing between the two but with used prices being $10k apart I would lean towards the diver. These two get bay FAR the most wrist time of my APs because of the comfort and durability.
]
The FC Diver looks fantastic on that yellow strap
Old 17 October 2017, 11:49 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
Thank you

Both look amazing. Sadly I think my budget caps me out at a 42mm but doing the man maths as we speak hah!
The anthracite dial used to be priced quite low and available everywhere here, have a search, think you might be able to get a deal on one.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 12:13 PM   #24
Bryan23N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post

Thanks for your insight! Do you find the forged carbon very monotonous as compared to the ceramic anthracite for the 44s? The FC diver may be off the table right now as it is quite hard to source for one.

Old 17 October 2017, 12:14 PM   #25
Bryan23N
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the comparison pics! That 44 anthracite does look amazing with a suit!!

Old 17 October 2017, 04:27 PM   #26
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
The ce is beautiful IMO.
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 11:06 PM   #27
Bryan23N
"TRF" Member

Thanks to everyone for chiming in with their opinions! The NWA has arrived. Stay tuned for pictures of what I got if you happen to care

Old 18 October 2017, 05:06 AM   #28
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
FC out of those two for sure...I feel like novelty of the yellow would wear off over time personally.

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote