The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 October 2017, 07:31 PM   #1
dmash
"TRF" Member

AP In House Chrono

Hello all, been super busy, so excuse me if we've discussed this previously.

Has there been any talk of AP releasing their own chrono movement (other than simple forum chatter)? With so many other companies shying away from utilizing anything other than 'in house', it seems AP would follow suit. I'm very curious if this is a possibility in the next year or two as I'm strongly considering a 15400 purchase. However, I would actually prefer a 42mm ROO if they changed to in house movements. Call me snobby, but I just dislike the idea of dropping so much $ on a watch without in house.

Thoughts?
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 07:35 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i know its in development and "coming" as to when though i don't know.

If its to replace the ROC movement its going to have to be pretty good to replace what they already have. For the ROO, replacing the current chronograph module would be my preference.

If a 42mm is on the table i would actually hold off until after SIHH as I would be shocked if there was not a few new 42's released as thats the line that needs some refreshing the most, new movement or not.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 07:45 PM   #3
dmash
"TRF" Member

Yeah, my favorite is definitely 42mm ROO. With a 7" wrist I feel the 44mm is just too big. Not a fan of the ROC with the Mickey Mouse looking sub dials due to the 6 o clock one being a smaller size.

Pretty much I like the 15400 a 9, but a black face 42mm ROO a 10. I would actually be purchasing this to fulfill the 'sport watch' category in my collection. I think the ROO makes more sense with that as well....
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 07:52 PM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

just a wild guess but i would bet on more material options for the ROO anniversary. The 42mm are in gold or SS and that is it, as far as regular production models.

If they did release an in-house it would not surprise me if they put them in the 42's first and didn't not update the 44's right away as they are new from last year. In house in the 42's will create more demand for the often overlooked product line.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 12 October 2017, 08:07 PM   #5
tng11
"TRF" Member

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't the anticipated in-house chronograph movement intended to succeed the current cal. 2385 based on the F. Piguet movement in the ROCs? I thought AP had the "in-house" part of the 3126 in ROOs covered already - as the base movement is already in-house, just that the module on top is DD.

I feel like it's less likely the ROO will get a fully integrated chronograph in-house movement any time soon - it's almost like the asymmetric dial layout and the sunken date wheel are an inseparable part of the ROO's aesthetic.

In any event, I think with an "in-house" movement, the ROC will become a lot more expensive (look at what VC did with the new Overseas chrono.)
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 08:13 PM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I thought AP had the "in-house" part of the 3126 in ROOs covered already - as the base movement is already in-house, just that the module on top is DD.

I feel like it's less likely the ROO will get a fully integrated chronograph in-house movement any time soon -
Correct. I agree with that assessment as well. It makes more sense to replace the ROC movement first as its totally zero in-house. I just think its a better movement than the DD module on top of the 3120 base so in a functional sense i would rather see that.

The VC example is spot on. Thats what i would anticipate as well.
Old 12 October 2017, 10:37 PM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't the anticipated in-house chronograph movement intended to succeed the current cal. 2385 based on the F. Piguet movement in the ROCs? I thought AP had the "in-house" part of the 3126 in ROOs covered already - as the base movement is already in-house, just that the module on top is DD.

I feel like it's less likely the ROO will get a fully integrated chronograph in-house movement any time soon - it's almost like the asymmetric dial layout and the sunken date wheel are an inseparable part of the ROO's aesthetic.

In any event, I think with an "in-house" movement, the ROC will become a lot more expensive (look at what VC did with the new Overseas chrono.)
Agree with this too.

The ROC has been getting away with the Piguet movement surname but time to change the initial from F to A, esp now VC have.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 11:18 PM   #8
edo
"TRF" Member

There is interview with AP CEO Bennahmias where he said the full in-house chrono is done... they are probably testing it, and they are debating where to debut it...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 11:53 PM   #9
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Supposedly next year. But fingers crossed. It's been "coming" for quite a while.