The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 December 2018, 01:15 AM   #31
LesserBlackDog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
This is the story of Omega.

You can walk into any Omega AD & pretty much buy any model you want & if they don't have it that day they can get within a couple of weeks.

Great if you want to buy to keep for ever, not so great if you decide after a couple of years you want to move it on to make way for something new.

I am in exactly that position now, bought a Seamaster a couple of years ago that doesn't get much wrist time these days so thought id put it up for sale.

Wow! nobodies interested & those that are want to offer nothing compared to rrp for a new one!
Part of that comes down to the speed at which Omega kills old models and releases new, updated versions of the same thing. Your Seamaster is now old news and everyone wants the new Ultrasupermaster Procoaxial version that also makes you a mean cup of espresso.

A Rolex retains value in part because one you bought 5 years ago is going to be the same as one you could buy today.
LesserBlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:18 AM   #32
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post

So what could Rolex do anout this? Increase production of course but let’s say they flooded the market and now every person that wanted a Daytona, hulk, BLNR or Pepsi could get it - guess what? They wouldn’t want it. Prices would drop and Rolex would be viewed like omega, Tag or Breitling
In the history of Rolex even during the slowest sales years or whatever, this has never happened. Rolex has always commanded a premium even in the years when a Rolex Submariner costs more than a Daytona.

I find it impossible and would bet my D-Blue that even if the market flooded, Rolex would never be viewed like those other brands.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:18 AM   #33
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
This is the story of Omega.

You can walk into any Omega AD & pretty much buy any model you want & if they don't have it that day they can get within a couple of weeks.

Great if you want to buy to keep for ever, not so great if you decide after a couple of years you want to move it on to make way for something new.

I am in exactly that position now, bought a Seamaster a couple of years ago that doesn't get much wrist time these days so thought id put it up for sale.

Wow! nobodies interested & those that are want to offer nothing compared to rrp for a new one!
Exactly. What many who are lamenting about Rolex not producing more of the SS sports are doing is essentially asking Rolex to “Omegalize” and devalue the brand forever. Exclusivity and availability are often time mutually exclusive.

I, for one, am happy that Rolex is not caving in to the temptation of short term gain over long term viability; that is discipline.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:22 AM   #34
kegan
"TRF" Member

Works fine for me too I’d love it if the market corrects I don’t care what my two old
Five digit watches are worth. Scarcity just makes me disinterested nothing more
kegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:26 AM   #35
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
As much as I hate having to wait and the politics of the fake lists....etc. but I have to admit it’s part of the fun. That adrenaline rush “getting the call”
Those couple of sentences explain why getting a new Rolex is fun for me. I am polite and patient with my Rolex AD and I know they genuinely look out for pieces I might like. Buying from them is fun and the whole process has some meaning for me.
Old 17 December 2018, 01:29 AM   #36
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t65tampa View Post
Those couple of sentences explain why getting a new Rolex is fun for me. I am polite and patient with my Rolex AD and I know they genuinely look out for pieces I might like. Buying from them is fun and the whole process has some meaning for me.
I could have written this word for word too...
harvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:34 AM   #37
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
The current state of affairs is unsustainable IMHO. Many longstanding loyalists will be jumping ship and changing to a different brand. Imagine the first time buyer. I can’t imagine this is truly the Rolex strategy.
This IS part of Rolex's strategy to make their buyers move onto their other brand (which is relatively easily availible) being Tudor.

How many TRF members have Tudor watches compared to a few years ago, many I can see by the incomings and pick ups and this would never have been the case if Rolex were more readily availible.

Rolex are smart and know exacly what they are doing.
Harry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:40 AM   #38
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
Part of that comes down to the speed at which Omega kills old models and releases new, updated versions of the same thing. Your Seamaster is now old news and everyone wants the new Ultrasupermaster Procoaxial version that also makes you a mean cup of espresso.

A Rolex retains value in part because one you bought 5 years ago is going to be the same as one you could buy today.
Exactly. Rolex protects the brand and heritage of the brand. It protects its image. Omega models have roughly a 4-5 year life span before they themselves trash it in advertisements and tout how much "betterer", improved, more reliable and precise timekeeping, longer warranty, better materials...the new one is.

They are themselves convinced that the previous product was inferior and now they have upgraded all the deficiencies in that garbage that some how made it to the market. In 3-4 years they repeat the cycle.
Who wants to be stuck holding the ugly duckling that even a mother doesn't love. Resale value reflects what the company itself feels about it's products.

Meanwhile the unchanged standard Speedmaster is still selling very strong and retains a much higher margin on resale from msrp to second hand than most of it's models.

In a weird turn of events Omega is obsessed with re-releasing much of it's vintage watches in modern materials....which all sell very strongly...thereby confirming that the original formula and design is classic and timeless and people want that.....but no....
I like Omega and want to like them more, but they are confused as #$&*. Maybe too preoccupied with pleasing board room tight wads that only care about quarterly sales figures.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:42 AM   #39
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Rolex creates so many watches a year..and that's that.
Demand is high,stock is low.
If you own a Rolex,be happy ,it increases in value all the time.
Its also not a question only of scarcity.It is primarily about quality.

I sold my very first Rolex.GMT Coke .Around 2004.Really stupid...its worth much more now.I also miss it,which is more important.

Enjoy them.Keep them
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:51 AM   #40
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

Bubbles burst, and I wonder if Rolex is close to pushing theirs to the breaking point. In any event, I would agree with some of the others that there's surely a happy medium between Rolex and Omega in terms of availability. No one is asking Rolex to change their models ever-so-slightly every few years, which seems to be Omega's strategy to sell watches. Rather, just make the existing models in greater quantities. It's not like these are hand-made masterpieces. In fact, the newer Rolex movements look a bit more industrial to my eye. Don't get me wrong: they're excellent movements. I'm quite happy to have my 114060, which I picked up at a discount in Italy when "Grexit" fears hit the Euro. But, I don't think I would like my 114060 any more if I had to wait six months or longer for it. In fact, I might find it rather anticlimactic after all the waiting.

Time will tell. Rolex is an extremely successful brand.
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:51 AM   #41
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I think what I don't like is the huge flipping mentality for a couple bucks that have brought non watch people into the Rolex buying world to really only make a profit...I don't mind that something is hard to get by any means, as thats definitely a part of the fun!
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 02:05 AM   #42
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clasper View Post
And you don’t really want that Ceramic Daytona that you can readily pick up in the AD as everyone has one!
Good riddance to those people. Those types can go back to collecting Cabbage Patch Dolls or whatever else is trendy and hard to get and leave mechanical watches to the people who truly love them.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 02:18 AM   #43
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Yep. You can't have it both ways...and a good point made, Cru. I wish all the whiners would think about this post...especially before they feel the need to rant about it here on TRF.

I'm just gonna say it. If I'm paying 10k+ for a watch, the thought of it being virtually worthless in a few years turns my stomach. Yes, I know, watches aren't investments, blah, blah, blah...but, sorry to say there's not a lot of middle ground with watches. So, given the choice, I'll pick the crazy state of affairs nowadays if it means having something of value I can pass on to my kids.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 02:26 AM   #44
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Yep. You can't have it both ways...and a good point made, Cru. I wish all the whiners would think about this post...especially before they feel the need to rant about it here on TRF.

I'm just gonna say it. If I'm paying 10k+ for a watch, the thought of it being virtually worthless in a few years turns my stomach. Yes, I know, watches aren't investments, blah, blah, blah...but, sorry to say there's not a lot of middle ground with watches. So, given the choice, I'll pick the crazy state of affairs nowadays if it means having something of value I can pass on to my kids.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 02:36 AM   #45
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
We’re at their mercy. Either wait or don’t. Rolex won’t care either way. Plenty of people still queuing out the door to get one.....waiting list imo also allows you wait and appreciate the watch you already have.

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 02:39 AM   #46
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
But then Brexit happened and was the global catalyst for everything that has happened since
Wait, what? Brexit caused worldwide demand for Rolexes to spike? Did not know that
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 02:50 AM   #47
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post

I currently have 6 Rolex, and I want to be able to buy one when I want from an AD, not some grey dealers where the source of the watch could be questionable.

How's that difficult to understand?

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk
mui.richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 04:07 AM   #48
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
The current state of affairs is unsustainable IMHO. Many longstanding loyalists will be jumping ship and changing to a different brand. Imagine the first time buyer. I can’t imagine this is truly the Rolex strategy.
I have given up on the brand after 10 years of purchasing from AD’s five Sport watches. Rolex says that consumer profile of buying a new watch every two years is their target demographic. AD’s demographics seem to be trophy hunters bundling $50k or greater other stuff. My last purchase was a Tudor BB 58 - used-and unless Tudor releases something else in that size range I’m done with them as well.
cornerstore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 04:10 AM   #49
kyoto
"TRF" Member

Personally I would be happy with this as I hold watches fro the purpose of wearing rather than investment.
kyoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 04:11 AM   #50
kyoto
"TRF" Member

Totally agree
kyoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 04:20 AM   #51
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mui.richard View Post
I currently have 6 Rolex, and I want to be able to buy one when I want from an AD, not some grey dealers where the source of the watch could be questionable.

How's that difficult to understand?

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk
I think you have partly answered your own question; the problem is with the grey scalpers rather than Rolex.

Of course when Rolex does take measures to curb the scalpers, where do we hear the loudest moaning from? Some of us “Rolex enthusiasts” on this forum!
Old 17 December 2018, 04:22 AM   #52
Father and Son
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi,BLNR,Hulk,DJ
A bit more of a happy medium between now and the scenario OP shared would be better than one or the other.

I bought a Moonwatch this year (Omega Speedmaster Pro) for $3600 BNIB from a grey. Identical watch is readily available for $5250 plus tax at the Omega AD...

I dont love the watch any less than I would if it was nearly impossible to get it for MSRP from the AD and I had to pay $7500 from a grey.

I paid $8K for my Hulk BNIB stickered open card 2 years ago. It's nice to know its value has risen significantly but I didnt buy it to sell it. All that matters is how much I love the way it looks and makes me feel to wear it.
Father and Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 04:27 AM   #53
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rolex View Post
I bought a Moonwatch this year (Omega Speedmaster Pro) for $3600 BNIB from a grey. Identical watch is readily available for $5250 plus tax at the Omega AD...
If you had paid that full retail at the Omega AD, you would have been robbed. They give 15% just for walking into their door.
Old 17 December 2018, 04:41 AM   #54
GMTmatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
The current situation is great if you have a Rolex or the relationship where you can get the Rolex you want from an AD. Personally, I like it where I can buy a watch and wear it everyday for 12 years while the value appreciates 250%. Sure there are some hard to find variations of specific models models, but you can count these on 1 hand. And if you bought a Rolex 12 years ago you should have the relationship to get the harder to find variations.
Old 17 December 2018, 04:49 AM   #55
Father and Son
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi,BLNR,Hulk,DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
If you had paid that full retail at the Omega AD, you would have been robbed. They give 15% just for walking into their door.
Agreed. But I didnt / wouldnt based on present Omega market which is my whole point. As I said I paid $3600 for my hesalite SP...
Father and Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 04:50 AM   #56
Clasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A bit more of a happy medium between now and the scenario OP shared would be better than one or the other.

I dont love the watch any less than I would if it was nearly impossible to get it for MSRP from the AD and I had to pay $7500 from a grey.

I paid $8K for my Hulk BNIB stickered open card 2 years ago. It's nice to know its value has risen significantly but I didnt buy it to sell it. All that matters is how much I love the way it looks and makes me feel to wear it.
Thats a good price and also maybe proves a point that if Rolex were so readily available and consequently the watches didn't keep their value, then why buy from an AD, I would quite happily buy from the Greys second hand and for a few thousand less, this is exactly what Rolex don't want, destroying the ADs whilst increasing the Greys market.

Believe me if there were enough watches freely available the market would finds its equilibrium and it would almost certainly be below the MSRP.

Also whats the point of a MSRP if every watch goes for 15% less, my mate bought a new Hublot recently and got 20% off at purchase?
Clasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 05:00 AM   #57
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Looking back now, 3 years ago was the perfect medium. You could purchase almost every hot SS model for MSRP or slightly below with Daytona being the exception. I was perfectly happy buying pre-owned for 10-20% below MSRP and they retained value pretty well.

Now that price and demand is so high and with supply being so low, I can't try out as many watches as I'd like to and that definitely takes away from the experience. Looks like the current situation is here to stay though, so better get used to it.
Old 17 December 2018, 05:09 AM   #58
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
I’m perfectly content waiting it out, what goes up must come down. Lots of other great brands out there! Plus if this is the image Rolex wants, where you have to spend thousands to get the honor to buy some SS Rolex, I will gladly spend my money else where. They have already lost most of there tool watch image and have gone to fancy jewelry, where owners of said tool watch are worried about scratching the clasp while working at a desk

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 05:24 AM   #59
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed. But I didnt / wouldnt based on present Omega market which is my whole point. As I said I paid $3600 for my hesalite SP...
And you’ve made a wise choice.

I guess what I was trying to get to was the OP’s point: it may not serve us well if Rolex had adopted the same strategy as that of Omega like some on this forum have advocated. It erodes the perceived brand value if you make unlimited supply of products only to having to automatically discount them.

Right now, an Omega that msrp for $5k is never worth $5k in the marketplace because people don’t trust the exclusivity or value of their products at that price point no matter how hard they market them so. That trust is easy to destroy and extremely difficult to gain back. That is not a state of affairs that we want Rolex to head to.
Old 17 December 2018, 05:36 AM   #60
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
I vote for some happy medium. Little wait is fine, but 2x grey price for Pepsi isn't, not that I want a Pepsi.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote