The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 March 2023, 02:54 AM   #31
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i tend not to surround myself with WIS. emphasis on the I.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2023, 08:29 AM   #32
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivie View Post
All of my friends wears some smart wathes like Apple or Samsung...
Yes, same — or none at all. A missed opportunity, I think!
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2023, 08:38 AM   #33
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

None of my friends have nice watches. Except my virtual friends.
Old 14 March 2023, 06:36 AM   #34
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Based on several previous threads, all the watches are in safes.

So if you have to tell the time by looking at your phone, are we reverting back to pocket watches?
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2023, 09:21 AM   #35
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivie View Post
All of my friends wears some smart wathes like Apple or Samsung...
I have really started to wear my Apple Watch Ultra way more than any of my other watches.

The smartwatch is so much more convenient. With one quick look, I can see times in multiple timezones, current date, hourly weather, stock portfolio, etc all on one screen.

I didn't think a smartwatch could do it but after taking some time to turn off things that would just bug me, my smartwatch is actually super useful.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2023, 12:44 PM   #36
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
I have really started to wear my Apple Watch Ultra way more than any of my other watches.

The smartwatch is so much more convenient. With one quick look, I can see times in multiple timezones, current date, hourly weather, stock portfolio, etc all on one screen.

I didn't think a smartwatch could do it but after taking some time to turn off things that would just bug me, my smartwatch is actually super useful.
If I turned off all the things that bug me on a smart watch, it would only tell me the time.

Hmmmm.
Old 15 March 2023, 05:59 AM   #37
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
If I turned off all the things that bug me on a smart watch, it would only tell me the time.

Hmmmm.
For me it was mainly related to certain notifications. I like getting most of the information I get. It is nice being able to ride the train/subway and pay for things by tapping the watch. Kind of old tech but fun in the new form factor.

I still enjoy my mechanical watches. They still have their place. Although that place is starting to get smaller in my world.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2023, 08:00 AM   #38
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
For me it was mainly related to certain notifications. I like getting most of the information I get. It is nice being able to ride the train/subway and pay for things by tapping the watch. Kind of old tech but fun in the new form factor.

I still enjoy my mechanical watches. They still have their place. Although that place is starting to get smaller in my world.
Yeah I’m not in the corporate or business world and would find all the notifications and notices streaming to me on a minute by minute basis, continually stressful. But I get it.

If I was I’d probably wear my watch on one arm and the computer on the other. And still hate the computer.

I think people actually get addicted to these things. And notifications. My wife who is corporate is.
Old 15 March 2023, 08:24 AM   #39
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

I’m curious about the Apple Watch, but not so curious I’d buy one. I imagine it would be awesome for things like going out and leaving your phone at home, so you’re not looking at your phone but are still contactable. I’d hate not wearing a mechanical watch instead though.
Old 15 March 2023, 08:30 AM   #40
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I once got a “free” apple watch with my iphone purchase. I have never returned a free product until this one. I am connected to my phone/email/text 24/7. Last thing I want is to look at my wrist and see work. But clearly I am the minority!
Old 15 March 2023, 12:05 PM   #41
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
I’m curious about the Apple Watch, but not so curious I’d buy one. I imagine it would be awesome for things like going out and leaving your phone at home, so you’re not looking at your phone but are still contactable. I’d hate not wearing a mechanical watch instead though.
Tried the Apple Watch Ultra and returned it. Upside, yes you can leave your phone at home, but the more you engage it with wifi/cell even the bigger battery lasts a day and then needs a charge. That said,I use my watch to time thing for work and need to be able to glance at the screen without calling attention. This is not possible with the Apple watch flat screen and that it dims a bit when not being viewed, thought it claims its "always on." With the chrono part, the start/stop was finicky. When I used the "bezel" face, the same thing, I had to press the button multiple times to start/stop. I use for my job, so dont have time for that. Then on the second day, it needed an update which took some time, I had to not wear it. Then it became yest another thing I need to charge along with my phone, keyboard, mouse, etc...So now I have to think about it (im not like others here, I pick one watch for the day and that means my sub does what ever, dinner, lawn, basketball, tennis, mountain biking etc...).

I dislike all the exposure to radiation, infrared, etc..... I turned off the heart rate, wifi/cell (except when needed) exercise monitor stuff (dont need a watch to tell me i did not push in the gym). But then it would turn on again when I did other things with the watch. Just became a major time suck and another phone to think about.

Have to say, it made me appreciate the simplicity of my sub. Time, date, and ability to track elapsed time, and never think about it, never needs a charge.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2023, 07:58 PM   #42
ChocBoyWonder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Ex II
I'm actually battling with this myself. I'm an athletic 'techy' and right now wear a higher end G-Steel that I actually like a lot; when I'm active I wear a Samsung galaxy. I'm approaching a significant work milestone and Birthday and am starting this journey. I'm waiting on that magical call from an AD.

That being said, I grew up always wanting an A) A nice sports car (first gen Acura NSX) and B) a Rolex; both bucket list items. I grew up with people who didn't necessarily want the same things but appreciated the idea. Its not the same with younger gens. I find that people who are into the watch scene are into it because they knew someone who was weather it be a close friend or family member. If people I know weren't influenced that way, they aren't really interested.

How many wear their Rolex everyday as a force of habit or wear for special occasions only?
ChocBoyWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2023, 08:46 PM   #43
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Tried the Apple Watch Ultra and returned it…
I dislike all the exposure to radiation, infrared, etc... Have to say, it made me appreciate the simplicity of my sub.
While a meaningful user review, this sounds terrible! Glad you love your Sub though.
Old 15 March 2023, 08:57 PM   #44
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocBoyWonder View Post
I'm approaching a significant work milestone and Birthday and am starting this journey. I'm waiting on that magical call from an AD…

How many wear their Rolex everyday as a force of habit or wear for special occasions only?
Hi CBW. Early congrats on the upcoming milestones, and I hope you get allocated a watch you want.

To answer your question, when I first got my one and only Rolex (a charming old Air-King) I wore it nearly every day for that first year, until I got another nice watch and then started rotating them more. The more watches, the less they all get worn unless there is a clear favourite. I would never save one only for special occasions as I’m always excited to go through the rotation. Including a G-Shock. So I’d never want to bump them for a smart watch unless I really loved the smart watch, which isn’t happening for me.
Old 18 March 2023, 10:52 AM   #45
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
In my business, most of the leadership wear a nice watch….

At my kids school, amongst parents, there are Rolexes on every other wrist.

Outside of that, it’s all wearable tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 12:24 PM   #46
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
In my business, most of the leadership wear a nice watch….

At my kids school, amongst parents, there are Rolexes on every other wrist.

Outside of that, it’s all wearable tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I paid attention last few meetings I was in. We are only just now getting close to pre-covid levels of in-person meetings. My boss is the CEO and rotates a Datejust, Sub, JC Seadweller and a BLNR GMT. I am the only male on his staff of 11 that wears a watch worth over $300 but it's as likely to be an Omega or something else as it is my Explorer or Sub. One of the women wears a nice watch but not sure what it is. She has expensive taste in cars, jewelry and clothes so I'm guessing it's pricey.

I encounter very few others in my industry or social circle that give watches any thought.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 09:58 PM   #47
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
I Mostly wear my Apple Watch. It’s easy, convenient and gets zero attention. But I rarely see Rolex or other high end watches. Most people I see have a Apple Watch on.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 12:21 AM   #48
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 41
I’ve purchased three Apple Watches only to return them after six months. It basically tells you the same health information over and over. Second, the constant ability to connect is just annoying. Talk about ruining your attention and focus.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 01:25 AM   #49
Land_Jet
Banned

I wear my Meteorite GMT when working out in my warehouse or riding a forklift with full Carharts on. One of my drivers does wear a faux SD43, lol.

I do occasionally see a local guy wearing a 5 digit Kermit but he wears that puppy with five extra links and jangling all around on his wrist.
Land_Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 07:23 AM   #50
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I think humans no matter what education level and/or financial status are incredible influenced by peer pressure. Even unconscious peer pressure.

What is everyone else doing? What do I need to do to fit in? What if someone questions or ridicules my choices?

Can I wear my Patek to work in a room full of Rolexes. Will they think I’m a winner or merely an annoying climber?

Everyone at work has a Seiko, what will they say about my Rolex.

All my tech bros have Apple, how can I show up with a Daytona?

I know one thing for sure, if I wear my oversized G-shock they’re gonna think I’m pretty macho AND outdoorsy. And if I wear my Apple Watch, they may think I’m a nerd, and prone to heart attacks.

Such problems we face
Old 19 March 2023, 07:40 AM   #51
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
My closest local friends could not care less about watches. I'm the only one.

My best work friends have great watches - AP, Rolex, Panerai, Omega, VC etc.

Since the pandemic and retirement I've really gone about 80% Apple Watch myself.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 12:55 PM   #52
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Majority of my coworkers don’t wear watches. The minority wear Apple watches, which I don’t understand when they have a Apple phone.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 01:14 PM   #53
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The majority of the time, if I see someone wearing a watch, it’s an Apple Watch (including my husband).
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote