The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12 October 2020, 12:22 AM   #61
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Good luck with that.

If you think bigotry can be eradicated, you simply aren’t paying attention.

Many of you give our species too much credit. But from fighting someone, and causing them physical harm, based on their sport team preference, to choosing sides with a friend because you want to believe they didn’t act a certain way, having a bias is as natural as eating and breathing.

Don’t hate the player. Hate the game.

Bias is not just ingrained. It’s a natural part of our evolution. You can fight it, or flow with it.

I have big hopes for our species too. Have always had them. And then I look around. And then I look at history. Literally since the beginning of our recorded history.

Nature doesn’t care what we want. Or if we live in a city rather than the jungle. It simply is. And bias is part of nature. Accept that or not. But it’s indisputable and factually proven through centuries.

Again, don’t hate the player. Hate the game.
Quote:
And civilized, cmon...

Are you watching what’s happening in the world. Literally today. Like, right now genocide is happening. This very second.

Words like “civilized” and “humane” are a coverup and they are fiction. I hate it as much as you do. Doesn’t change what it is. Doesn’t change nature. Regardless of your geographical location or identity.
Trust me Seth I do pay attention. Funny thing is I don't give our species any credit at all so not sure who you meant by "many of you". I actually agree with your assessment of the current state of the world around us. In fact I have absolutely have no faith. I believe we as a civilization are doomed without recourse. The reason is one human trait. Tribalism. It's what saved humans in the very early stages of existence but ironically will cause our ultimate extinction.

Having said that, humans do have the capacity to learn. If we want to change the course we're on now we must learn to oppose racism in all it's forms. It is in fact the root of all the current evils in this world you rightly reference. If we don't then why wait. Let the games begin.

Old 12 October 2020, 01:43 AM   #62
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Trust me Seth I do pay attention. Funny thing is I don't give our species any credit at all so not sure who you meant by "many of you". I actually agree with your assessment of the current state of the world around us. In fact I have absolutely have no faith. I believe we as a civilization are doomed without recourse. The reason is one human trait. Tribalism. It's what saved humans in the very early stages of existence but ironically will cause our ultimate extinction.

Having said that, humans do have the capacity to learn. If we want to change the course we're on now we must learn to oppose racism in all it's forms. It is in fact the root of all the current evils in this world you rightly reference. If we don't then why wait. Let the games begin.
None of this is anything new, it's the way the human race has been ever since the very beginning.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 12 October 2020, 06:39 AM   #63
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Good luck with that.

If you think bigotry can be eradicated, you simply aren’t paying attention.

Many of you give our species too much credit. But from fighting someone, and causing them physical harm, based on their sport team preference, to choosing sides with a friend because you want to believe they didn’t act a certain way, having a bias is as natural as eating and breathing.

Don’t hate the player. Hate the game.

Bias is not just ingrained. It’s a natural part of our evolution. You can fight it, or flow with it.

I have big hopes for our species too. Have always had them. And then I look around. And then I look at history. Literally since the beginning of our recorded history.

Nature doesn’t care what we want. Or if we live in a city rather than the jungle. It simply is. And bias is part of nature. Accept that or not. But it’s indisputable and factually proven through centuries.

Again, don’t hate the player. Hate the game.
Seth:

I agree that most people have blinders on as to the level of cruelty in the world.

But I also think that there are a lot of good people out there.

Stay safe my friend.
Old 12 October 2020, 07:24 AM   #64
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Seth:

I agree that most people have blinders on as to the level of cruelty in the world.

But I also think that there are a lot of good people out there.

Stay safe my friend.

The vast majority of people are good in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 October 2020, 07:41 AM   #65
Brenngun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
None of this is anything new, it's the way the human race has been ever since the very beginning.
Totally agree but that fact doesn't mean it can't change. It's a matter of will to change.

Old 12 October 2020, 09:27 AM   #66
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Totally agree but that fact doesn't mean it can't change. It's a matter of will to change.

Here’s hoping it does.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 12 October 2020, 09:54 AM   #67
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:

Please forgive me in the way that my comment came off. I do realize that I was responding to you, but please understand that I was not speaking directly to you. In the forum format, I was more or less pontificating. I hope you can understand that.

I do understand what you are saying, and I agree with you that tribalism is a very large problem, and the root of many others. I have always had high hopes. Those hopes are mostly gone.

If you go into an elementary school cafeteria, what will you find? Children with similarities sitting next to each other. Yes, the specifics of bigotry are taught....but hate and feelings of discomfort because of ignorance are inherent.

It is also a fact based on endless sociological studies, and simple observation, that humans feel more comfortable with similarities rather than differences. And humans also do nearly anything simply to feel comfortable. A lot of this tribalism is inherent in us and unlikely to go away, imho.

“Cliques” start and develop for a reason. People naturally congregate with those that are similar and therefore that accentuates/highlights the differences of others. It is then, again, only natural to begin to define our own individual woes and grievances as we grow older. It appears to me that everyone blames their own shortcomings and problems on others. Heck, it is easier than blaming our own selves for our own problems. And who would people naturally blame? Those that are different. Those that we don’t understand.

I hope you are right. I hope this can all be somehow stopped. I just don’t see how we can stop nature.

My thoughts are that we can only be our best selves and try to live by the example we feel is best for the world around us. I do not see much of this. But truly, I live this way. I see endless hypocrisy, narcissism and ignorance. I see it everywhere I look. I see a lack of honor and integrity daily....

Maybe that is a sad existence. I used to be EXTREMELY extroverted. I still have that capacity, but prefer to keep to myself.

A good buddy always told me I am constantly upset with people because I expect too much from them. Simply put, I expected them to act as I was acting. Well, no longer. Now I just try to be the best me. And I let people be who they are without expectation, as long as they don’t directly effect me.

So, if Mel Gibson has his hatred for whatever reason, I am okay with that. More than anything else, I feel bad for him. Someone with so many gifts and such a relatively successful life is carrying around so much poison inside of him. There are endless examples of people like him. As social media grows, so does the visibility inside of peoples minds. The more I see, the less I like.

I will continue to do my best and live after Gandhi’s mantra of “be the change you want to see in the world”.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 12 October 2020, 09:59 AM   #68
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

FWIW, I do think this is a great discussion between rational mature adults.

Old 12 October 2020, 10:41 AM   #69
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Mel Gibson may have fallen from grace, but ah - he's human.
We have all made blunders but his dumb ass has recorded it, or he had been recorded and had it blown up online. Really dumb.

He's the original Max Rokitansky. I've seen those films a hundred times.

I also think he's a really good director.
Old 13 October 2020, 05:22 AM   #70
Brenngun

Quote:
FWIW, I do think this is a great discussion between rational mature adults.
I do as well Seth. It's why I've continued with it and am glad you did the same. I take no offence nor mean none. I enjoy discussions based in rational thought. It's how we all grow.

Old 13 October 2020, 06:09 AM   #71
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Supposedly his father is where he got his anti-semantic beliefs. So in effect since this is how he was brought up maybe we shouldn't hold him accountable for this either.

What you think?
You can stop being a racist whenever you want, you can’t just stop being an addict or an alcoholic. You can go into remission like cancer. But your never truely cured.
Old 13 October 2020, 06:45 AM   #72
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
You can stop being a racist whenever you want, you can’t just stop being an addict or an alcoholic. You can go into remission like cancer. But your never truely cured.
That is arguable.

If you are thinking along those lines....

Hatred along with depression and mental illness is just as much, if not more, of a disease. They both manifest in racism and bigotry and blame.

You can stop drinking, and still be addict. It can be argued that mental health issues are not so easy to overcome.

Old 13 October 2020, 07:10 AM   #73
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Hummm... interesting trailer. I'm not sure it is gonna win any awards.

Ibtl

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 13 October 2020, 07:36 AM   #74
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
you can’t just stop being an addict or an alcoholic. You can go into remission like cancer. But your never truely cured.
Wow that’s so not true. Not true at all. It can be just like a light switch. You just need to know what flips the switch.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 November 2020, 06:49 AM   #75
sickened1

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Just watched this last night and I must admit, it was pretty good. Better than I expected.
Old 28 November 2020, 10:02 AM   #76
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Good to hear. I'll watch it tonight. My hopes are high. I like this kind of unique, out of the box stuff.
Old 28 November 2020, 08:34 PM   #77
colpol
"TRF" Member

Watched the trailer- think this is one I’d give it 15/ 20 mins before deciding to keep watching or turn it off
Old 28 November 2020, 09:14 PM   #78
330ci
"TRF" Member

Was looking forward to checking this out but the theaters were only open a few days before they shut back down again here.
Old 29 November 2020, 07:22 PM   #79
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
I clicked on this thread to check out a movie trailer, only to find that it’s the most interesting thread I’ve seen on TRF in a long time.
Old 29 November 2020, 09:18 PM   #80
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Wait. Mel Gibson has NINE kids!? (Per Variety piece linked to upstream.)
Old 29 November 2020, 09:43 PM   #81
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Seth, a very United States centric response...
Meritocratic thinking is also common here in Australia, where neoliberal governments since the 1990s have spruiked the nation as being ‘egalitarian’ (despite all evidence to the contrary). Works for some I guess, but definitely not all!
Old 29 November 2020, 09:53 PM   #82
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
I watched the movie twice. Very slow start but a lot of subtle, clever humor made it worth paying attention.
Much to my surprise, it turned in to a feel good movie. Although in a dark way.
Hard to describe. I'm glad I watched it.
I would like to think Santa Claus and the elves are like this.
Old 29 November 2020, 09:54 PM   #83
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
I just don't take to people who denigrate entire races of people.
Everybody is racist, this is a fact. Pointing out that others are, does not exclude oneself. Think about it.
Old 29 November 2020, 10:55 PM   #84
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
Everybody is racist, this is a fact. Pointing out that others are, does not exclude oneself. Think about it.

I think you've been reading too much Robin DiAngelo.
Old 29 November 2020, 11:18 PM   #85
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
Old 29 November 2020, 11:43 PM   #86
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Nature doesn’t care about feelings.

We are not all equal, even if we want to play like we are. Some of us have strengths and weaknesses.

Some people compensate for their weaknesses and get stronger. And others motivate and grow. And get stronger.

Others still fall back on their weaknesses and use them as excuses. And some give them a pass because they were born that way.

Nature doesn’t care one way or another. We are the only species that promotes procreation of the weak. And it weakens our species as a whole. If someone doesn’t want to seek help, so be it. If they do, the more power to them. Life is not supposed to be easy. That’s a made up thing our species has created.

Giving participation trophies has the same effect. Some people deserve to be successful through skill and effort. Some don’t. Not everyone is supposed to win.

I personally don’t care one bit if Mel is anti Semitic. And I’m Jewish. I watch his movies because they are good. I don’t want to be his pal. He’s got his demons and his weaknesses. He clearly has been able to overcome them and live a successful life. Doesn’t change the laws on nature.

Our emotions and our “sensibilities” don’t change facts of life.

Say it louder for those in the back
Old 29 November 2020, 11:48 PM   #87
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Depends on your definition of racism. Yours seems very broad & more like what I would call ‘racial prejudice’. But while everyone has prejudices they are mostly unaware of, not everyone has a racial prejudice. If you think otherwise (ie that everyone is racist), then hopefully that’s all the more reason to try to not be?

But racism has an extra element to it, besides prejudice: power. By this (stricter) definition, only people who benefit in any way (regardless of how aware of it they are) from the race-based oppression or disadvantage of others can be racist. If you don’t benefit from your own skin colour, then you can only ever be racially prejudiced, but not racist.

But again, I disagree that everyone is racially prejudiced anyway. Why would you think that? We are not the personification of our governments’ fickle foreign policy positions, and it’s okay to boo all the competition at the Olympics or Eurovision.
Old 29 November 2020, 11:52 PM   #88
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:

How you can just throw a blanket statement out there like that befuddles me. Let’s say a certain percentage of people grow up to be jerks, through whatever circumstance may be end result is jerk. Let’s be optimistic and say 10%. This 10% is spread between every race, religion, sexual orientation, nationality and gender. This 10% doesn’t always have to be “racist” either, they can have any traits that equate to what is generally described as being a jerk. These days everyone wants to be so divided and the current state of affairs in the world is not necessarily helping that what gets blasted (through social media and the mainstream media) is the actions of these 10% of people. We must try to focus on the great things that happen all around us every day and stop hyper focusing on negatives, in doing that we will stop giving these people attention therefore defeating their purpose (further division).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 November 2020, 11:54 PM   #89
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
And civilized, cmon...

Are you watching what’s happening in the world. Literally today. Like, right now genocide is happening. This very second.

Words like “civilized” and “humane” are a coverup and they are fiction. I hate it as much as you do. Doesn’t change what it is. Doesn’t change nature. Regardless of your geographical location or identity.

Same thing with “systemic”. Put “systemic” before something you don’t like and make it a trending topic. I’ve never seen so many “systemic” issues prior to 2020 I’m finally woke
Old 30 November 2020, 12:09 AM   #90
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

‘Systemic’ may be triggering if you dislike liberals, but it is used very differently from the PR smokescreen applications of ‘civilized’ and ‘humane’.
Closed Thread