The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 June 2018, 02:53 PM   #1
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
Rolex and Patek Philippe Magazines

I don't have nor have I ever had any of the Rolex magazines, but I do have the Patek Philippe magazines. I got my most recent in the mail on Friday afternoon. The Patek magazines arrive in my mailbox FREE of charge, and I have been told that the Rolex magazines are FREE as well. FREE !!

While going through Ebay on yet another sleepless night I see that Rolex and Patek magazines are selling for prices between 9.00 USD and 250.00 USD for a single issue.

So can someone help me understand why these FREE magazines are now worth the prices being asked of them on Ebay? Why are they worth any money at all since they are given away for FREE? Is there something I am missing?
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 03:04 PM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
You are missing nothing. There is an ass for every seat. Rolex magazine is just a freebie given out at ADs. Anyone who pays for one is a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKing31 View Post
I don't have nor have I ever had any of the Rolex magazines, but I do have the Patek Philippe magazines. I got my most recent in the mail on Friday afternoon. The Patek magazines arrive in my mailbox FREE of charge, and I have been told that the Rolex magazines are FREE as well. FREE !!

While going through Ebay on yet another sleepless night I see that Rolex and Patek magazines are selling for prices between 9.00 USD and 250.00 USD for a single issue.

So can someone help me understand why these FREE magazines are now worth the prices being asked of them on Ebay? Why are they worth any money at all since they are given away for FREE? Is there something I am missing?
Old 24 June 2018, 03:21 PM   #3
dbluevette
"TRF" Member

Personally I wouldn't buy the item you referred to, but I can understand from a collectors point of view. Maybe a person is in need of a specific copy to complete a full set.
Plus, some things that have no value to one individual have value to another. What's that saying? (One man's junk...etc)

Anyway, just offering a different perspective.
dbluevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 04:09 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
"Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't." - Withnail & I.

Supply and demand, availability, market economy. I sold several Rolex magazines (issue #1) a few years ago that are now worth several times more than I sold them for, and a couple of issues more recently that will likely double in value by next year. People also sell Rolex umbrellas, hats, spoons and all manner of stuff that was originally free...even catalogues go up for sale after a while. Folks would buy paper cups if they were officially marked with the Rolex logo. It's part of the hobby, and a part of forum activity and engagement.
Old 24 June 2018, 04:19 PM   #5
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
"Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't." - Withnail & I.

Supply and demand, availability, market economy. I sold several Rolex magazines (issue #1) a few years ago that are now worth several times more than I sold them for, and a couple of issues more recently that will likely double in value by next year. People also sell Rolex umbrellas, hats, spoons and all manner of stuff that was originally free...even catalogues go up for sale after a while. Folks would buy paper cups if they were officially marked with the Rolex logo. It's part of the hobby, and a part of forum activity and engagement.
It makes sense after reading your POV .. I did notice the Patek issue I received on Friday is already for sale by Saturday night. It's only 10.00 USD but that's a bit quick to show up for sale.

I have a Rolex spoon, notepad, and even golf balls (gift) which I paid for but I can justify those. But anyone buying the magazines can justify their purchase as well. It just surprises me to see what these magazines are going for. I even saw a brochure for sale which I got for free simply by calling 1-800-36-ROLEX
Old 24 June 2018, 04:27 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
It makes sense after reading your POV .. I did notice the Patek issue I received on Friday is already for sale by Saturday night. It's only 10.00 USD but that's a bit quick to show up for sale.

I have a Rolex spoon, notepad, and even golf balls (gift) which I paid for but I can justify those. But anyone buying the magazines can justify their purchase as well. It just surprises me to see what these magazines are going for. I even saw a brochure for sale which I got for free simply by calling 1-800-36-ROLEX
I do know what you mean, it's a funny area, and not much goes on around here that makes total sense. A member had a similar viewpoint to you last year and tried to put up a magazine scan for free, but that broke copyright laws and would have had Rolex on our back, so that quickly got taken down.
Old 24 June 2018, 08:32 PM   #7
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
What’s the most recent Rolex magazine? I’ve number 7 which is the datejust one. Thanks.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 08:33 PM   #8
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You are missing nothing. There is an ass for every seat. Rolex magazine is just a freebie given out at ADs. Anyone who pays for one is a fool.
Be careful so you not will be banned when you call Paul a fool.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 08:34 PM   #9
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
What’s the most recent Rolex magazine? I’ve number 7 which is the datejust one. Thanks.
7 is the last one.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 01:24 AM   #10
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
7 is the last one.
Thanks Jocke :-)
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 01:27 AM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i have zero Rolex magazines. If my AD or Rolex mailed them to me, then sure i would like one. Im not hunting one down though and Patek just sends me theirs and weirdly enough, its great marketing. I know they have no idea who i am but at least i sort of think they care.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 01:32 AM   #12
Star Ferry
Banned

I used to throw out my twice-annual Patek maagzines until I realized there was an ebay market

The Rolex "magazines" are worthwhile IMO only if received free from your retailer. Compared to Patek they are short on real editorial content
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 02:28 AM   #13
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I’ve given away several Rolex magazines to TRF members for free. I still have a few extras I’m sure. I’ll check and if anyone wants one they’re yours. Buying a magazine is madness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 June 2018, 07:27 AM   #14
cvera
"TRF" Member

I've received a catalogue at an AD. Never a magazine though, but I haven't asked either
cvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 08:11 AM   #15
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I do know what you mean, it's a funny area, and not much goes on around here that makes total sense. A member had a similar viewpoint to you last year and tried to put up a magazine scan for free, but that broke copyright laws and would have had Rolex on our back, so that quickly got taken down.
I remember a great thread where the OP asked an AD for a free magazine, the AD refused, and he was totally furious about it
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 08:12 AM   #16
Ballzzz

Want to trade my most recent Rolex for your Patek?
Old 25 June 2018, 08:29 AM   #17
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Once out if print, common law of supply and demand.

Patek at one time offered limited-edition lithographs you can get by filling out a form within their magazine. I had all 10 of them, they were truly beautiful. I believe a full set goes for around $3,000 for those lithographs today.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 08:44 AM   #18
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Want to trade my most recent Rolex for your Patek?
Which one? .... I have most of the Patek magazines because I never throw them away .. I've given a few away to people who have asked
Old 25 June 2018, 08:44 AM   #19
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I have all seven of the Rolex Magazines! I only paid $28,500 for them! Some day, they are going to be worth millions!!!!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 08:45 AM   #20
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I have all seven of the Rolex Magazines! I only paid $28,500 for them! Some day, they are going to be worth millions!!!!
Old 26 June 2018, 01:18 AM   #21
Ballzzz

Quote:
Which one? .... I have most of the Patek magazines because I never throw them away .. I've given a few away to people who have asked
I believe it's #7 the most recent.