The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 June 2018, 06:11 AM   #1
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Expert help requested - Gold Coins

Hi there to our coin collectors and numismatists on TRF. I could use some help - on vacation and away from any PC access. Also, I am no expert on coins...

Our family is trying to fairly distribute some inherited coins among siblings. There were a few gold coins in a safe with lots of other silver coins. I did some fast research as an amateurish attempt.

Can any experts say if I am in the right ballpark/zip code on the valuations below? The values were drawn from eBay completed listings over the past year - the “melt value” was drawn from Friday’s closing spot gold price in US.

We are trying to be fair so I wanted some expert input. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 06:16 AM   #2
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
JMHO and not pointing out anything you don't know already but I wouldn't be basing any values for gold coins on anything other than a registered numismatist and even with the added expense I would consider having these coins professionally graded.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 06:20 AM   #3
THC

Watch: 16610M
rarity is key, I noticed weight was not part of descriptions, so that may play into the value as well
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 06:20 AM   #4
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
check our what apmex would pay for them. should be a fair guide.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 07:00 AM   #5
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I think it might be worth checking to see if there is a coin forum that has grading subforum that members can help with.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 07:16 AM   #6
glenn_herwig
"TRF" Member

Being a coin collector myself. I think the first coarse of action for you and your family to do is find the highest rated and most reliable coin dealer/store in your area. Next get a free appraisal. Having inherited coins with my brother before almost always the best coarse of action is to sell them for the best possible price and take the cash. Coins come in so many different shapes in sizes equally distributing is a hard task. But nonetheless can be done. Good luck in your coin endeavors!

Jaeger Le Coultre Grande Date 240.8.15

Instagram: @select.timepieces
glenn_herwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 07:38 AM   #7
77T

Thanks for the input guys. Yes I know about the websites and ampex.

The melt value was an easy way to give you the weight. I don’t have scales. But these coins are widely traded. None are rare but their bullion value is less than their sold value in the most recent eBay sales.

Still looking for any experts who may know better info than I’ve determined or maybe to validate some of it.

I also didn’t say earlier but by tomorrow morning this will get determined using beat data we can find. Not perfect but a surprise outcome of a family weekend gathering.

Old 24 June 2018, 07:47 AM   #8
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Fun weekend surprise!
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 01:21 PM   #9
itchy243mhz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M, 116613LB
Be aware that none of these coins are considered in numismatic terms as “good”. They are far better than good coins and in numismatics these condition terms matter. As advised get a informed appraisal done. I would steer away from the melt value as a guide on worth. Melt is what scrap gold is measured by, none of these coins are scrap by any measure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lug Hole Commando
itchy243mhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 09:41 PM   #10
Keadog
"TRF" Member

Have you considered having them professionally graded by NGC or PCGS? The cost will be a small fraction of their value.
It's hard to tell from the pics, but agree with above they are better than "good", especially the Eagle and 1/2 eagle. But i haven't looked at coins seriously since I was a kid collecting with my dad. Looooong time ago.
Once they are "slabbed" and graded, it'll be much easier to establish a fair market value for distribution.
You could even sell them (far more easily) on eBay once graded and then split the net proceeds.
Keadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 09:43 PM   #11
Keadog
"TRF" Member

BTW, try to avoid handling them as much as possible, Get some cotton gloves like the watch guys wear in their ads.
Keadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 09:44 PM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Am sure there are experts here, yet have dabbled. Agree rarity and condition are key so perhaps send to PCGS for grading IF you want to be sure. Not familiar with those exact species / coins so have no specifics on those coins to share personally. Wish i knew more :(
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 10:00 PM   #13
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I can't help with the coins, but have done the inheritance gig with collectables. There is far less residual animosity if you get them expertly appraised, sold, and the cash distributed equally.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 10:18 PM   #14
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
They’re all bullion coins. If any family members want them give them at scrap value as no dealer will pay more than that for them. The new foundland is the exception, but even there you would be lucky to get much if any premium.

I bought a 2 1/2$ Indian for my father last year in unc condition for melt value, and as a pawn broker generally sell these type coins for 2% above melt
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 10:47 PM   #15
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I always loved the $5 Indian. Beautiful coins.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 10:26 PM   #16
77T

Thanks everyone - we did use the melt value just to be fair. There’s no telling what the values will be some day in the future when we pass along. Greg’s input sort of confirmed that for us.

Now for the backstory that I didn’t have time to share earlier...

We were doing a weeklong family reunion at the beach when my sister uncovered these gold coins in a box of documents that we were reading solely for historical value. You know, tracing family roots and such.

We knew about hundreds of other old coins (silver, nickel, copper) that we were separating amongst us. Finding the gold ones were a surprise. Some of the silver went back to the 1840’s.

My Mom had done an inventory when she closed out the safe deposit box to leave her home and move across the State to a retirement community. There was a long inventory list of all those other coins but only one entry “$32 Gold Coin”. We had passed this entry off for 2 years since we didn’t see any gold among the coins - and wanted to wait a while after her death to settle the property items so we didn’t have heavy emotions.

I didn’t know the US had a $32 coin so the inventory entry was a puzzle until my sister found them. There were 2-$10; 2-$5; and 1-$2 Newfie = $32 - - yep, $32
My only conclusion was my Mom had done this as a form of security via obscurity.

It was a pleasant week on the beach and I appreciate everyone’s help with the valuations including PMs. The eBay sales results I had found were interesting but I don’t think any of us are selling.

The thought that the last hands that touched these were my Mom’s back in 2007, when she lovingly hid them in an envelope amongst papers that she knew we would only see after her death was heartwarming. I’m sure she was watching us from above and smiling.

Old 26 June 2018, 01:20 AM   #17
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Common dates, but nice condition.

Get them graded and see where they come out...

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/grading-process/
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 03:33 AM   #18
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

My mom's estate had a number of gold coins, mostly Krougerons (SP?). Those were circulated and basically worth a bit more than the current price of gold. Among the mix was an uncirculated $20.00 St Gaudians gold piece from 1927 (Her birth year!!). Coincidence??? Knowing her I think it was bought on purpose. Anyway I took them to a trusted coin shop, had them appraised, and bought the $20.00 gold piece from the estate. Sorry for the bad spelling!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote