The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 January 2017, 04:43 AM   #1
Desibaba
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Pam90,SA2
Panerai resale value vs Breitling vs Omega

How does Panerai hold its resale value compared to Breitling and Omega?
Desibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 10:23 AM   #2
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
None have good resale.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Desibaba
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Pam90,SA2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
None have good resale.
So Panerai is better in the resale department compared to Omega or Breitling? I know nothing compares to Rolex.
Desibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 01:31 AM   #4
Maxtor
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
If you buy used (at a good price) and then flip you should be OK with any of these brands. It may just take longer to flip then a Rolex.

If you buy retail (without a substantial discount) and then want to flip you will certainly feel the pinch.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 04:05 AM   #5
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Depends on the model, but generally you will only lose about $1K on a base Panerai or Omega. From personal exp, Panerai is easier to flip with less loss. Breitling is going to be acquired soon, so I would hold off on buying in until the next refresh.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 09:55 AM   #6
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
Probably similar. For a time, Panerai might have done better but not anymore, IMO.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 10:32 PM   #7
ulrichhh
"TRF" Member

I would think Panerai, Omega, Breitling
ulrichhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 11:31 PM   #8
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichhh View Post
I would think Panerai, Omega, Breitling
I agree. Panerai holds better than omega better than breitling. But there are horrible models in each. I'm talking popular models on each.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 01:32 PM   #9
metdrdg
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSDayt, 5711, 5170
If resale value is important to you I would go with Rolex over any of those brands. Of those brands panerai may take the least hit on resale but it's very dependent on which model you get.
metdrdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 09:04 PM   #10
Kuttermax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metdrdg View Post
If resale value is important to you I would go with Rolex over any of those brands. Of those brands panerai may take the least hit on resale but it's very dependent on which model you get.
Agree. I would be hard pressed to buy an Omega or Breitling from an AD unless heavily discounted. The gray and secondary market typically show huge discounts, just search out the price drops on the Dark Side of the Moon collection.

Rolex on the other hand I would not hesitate to buy from AD. While there may be a little drop in value initial, they are in a different altogether compared to most others. Patek is very strong in this regard as well.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Kuttermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2017, 09:27 AM   #11
Rol604
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Panerai
Panerais are very popular. If you buy new you will still take a hit, but they are easier to move.
Rol604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 12:29 AM   #12
hitman23
"TRF" Member

Panerai has lost it's luster so the secondary market isn't what it used to be. I've taken hits on new models, but broke even on preowned models in the last couple years. A lot is model dependent, even with Rolex. Buy preowned and you'll save yourself some cash down the road.
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 02:17 AM   #13
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

really depends on the model in each range, just like rolex, though, on average, i'd say it's rolex then panerai then omega then breitling.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 05:34 AM   #14
Magwitch
Banned

Buy what you like and don't obsess about "flipping." If you buy something just with the idea of selling it, you will, and often regret it. Be motivated by aesthetics not greed and avarice.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 09:18 AM   #15
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

All watches take a initial hit including Rolex. My experience has shown that when you buy any of those brands pre owned, you won't loose money on any and will make a few dollars if you keep them a few years. This shouldn't matter because watches are not a commodity or investment.
Old 5 April 2017, 01:24 AM   #16
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Depends on the model and how you buy it. If you purchase new at retail price, you will notice an immediate depreciation in most cases. If you are patient and buy used, you can make out really well.
This goes for any brand including Rolex.
Overall, I think Panerai preowned prices hold closer to retail than Omega and Breitling
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 06:19 PM   #17
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
Agree. I would be hard pressed to buy an Omega or Breitling from an AD unless heavily discounted. The gray and secondary market typically show huge discounts, just search out the price drops on the Dark Side of the Moon collection.

Rolex on the other hand I would not hesitate to buy from AD. While there may be a little drop in value initial, they are in a different altogether compared to most others. Patek is very strong in this regard as well.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Well depends what you buy, I had a rosegold daytona on strap, retail was 23.400 euros, got it brand new for 17,500, sold it in really mint condition for 15.000, had I paid retail I wiuld have most 8.400 euros, which is a lot. Even Patek has some models that do bad on resale, sure not as bad as most brands but still quite bad, the 5960P for example have crappy resale on the grey model, I think you loose 30-40% from last known retail, but yes in general they do well to incredibly well, the 5711 for example sometimes sells for 40-50% over retail, which is incredible, of course the ceramic daytonas sell for 60% over retail but that should go down in a few years, will still probably sell a little over retail as Rolex limit production on the SS Daytona models, but the 60% mark up won't last
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 05:45 AM   #18
flintsghost
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16600
Panerai's are reasonable in resale though not in a class with Rolex. Breitlings in the long run don't hold their value very well at all considering the quality. Omega in the short or long run is a tough sell and doesn't hold value at all. This is based on my recent sales of one Omega and two Breitlings.
flintsghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 06:40 AM   #19
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Any higher end watch is going to hit your wallet big time in resale if you buy new and then sell it. I buy a lot pre owned because I used to flip watches constantly. There was a time that you could buy a new panerai and sell it for more than retail. Not anymore. I also find more good deals on pieces that I'm not actually looking for. That's how I got back into rolex. I gave a bell & ross grande date commando and 2 grand for my Sea Dweller. I had 1.1k into the B&R because I got a smoking deal, so I came out on top. That doesn't happen often. I came randomly across it and had about 30 seconds to decide. I would never buy a watch again that I thought I was just going to sell.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 10:31 AM   #20
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtor View Post
If you buy used (at a good price) and then flip you should be OK with any of these brands. It may just take longer to flip then a Rolex.

If you buy retail (without a substantial discount) and then want to flip you will certainly feel the pinch.
Agree with the above

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote