The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 July 2017, 01:20 PM   #91
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Brown boxes are about to be as scarce as the Nautilus. Maybe there'll be waiting lists for the few ADs willing to stick it to the man and send watches double sealed anyway.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 01:49 AM   #92
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Maybe you should break out the dictionary and google what 'scarce' means to begin with (I'll help, it involves having a demand for something). There were practically no lists for a 5711 4-5 years ago (could have one within 1-2 months easy). Just as you say, today's scarcity is purely based on PP's supply. The amount of people wanting this watch now is relatively low, even with PP's production numbers it should be met in adequate time.

I feel there will ALWAYS be random people every month wanting another Daytona, don't feel it's the case for a $25k ($30k with tax) 5711.

but hey, we can agree to disagree.
Ok let's say the demand for people wanting a 5711 is low, you say it will be met, you don't think that the demand is slowly increasing year after year? I don't think only the people now wanting one will be the last ones, there will be more and more, it is the hottest SS watch to have in wis circles, maybe we are not many, but surely more who want one than Patek make them, I think demand will keep being strong, don't see wis soon seeing some other SS watch as the latest coolest watch, I think the 5711 will keep thenpole position for some time, just look at how many oosts of guys wanting one, and TRF probably represents only a fraction of watch lovers, so I think the demand will be much more than supply formmany many years, as Patek doesn't want to up their supply on the Nautilus models
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 02:27 AM   #93
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Ok let's say the demand for people wanting a 5711 is low, you say it will be met, you don't think that the demand is slowly increasing year after year? I don't think only the people now wanting one will be the last ones, there will be more and more, it is the hottest SS watch to have in wis circles, maybe we are not many, but surely more who want one than Patek make them, I think demand will keep being strong, don't see wis soon seeing some other SS watch as the latest coolest watch, I think the 5711 will keep thenpole position for some time, just look at how many oosts of guys wanting one, and TRF probably represents only a fraction of watch lovers, so I think the demand will be much more than supply formmany many years, as Patek doesn't want to up their supply on the Nautilus models
Agree. This watch has been in demand for at least 3 years now. I was in Tiffany/Patek salon in NYC about 3 years ago. The salesman told me that he had a 1-2 year waiting list for the blue 5711.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 03:43 AM   #94
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I guess I feel that an average Joe walks into Rolex every day interested in purchasing something for 10k, people who don't even own a watch to begin with.......but it's a huge minority that plans out getting a blue 5711. I think because it's THE watch right now, a bunch of WIS guys want it, and it was sudden.

However, you could be totally right along with some others. I guess we can revisit this thread in a few years and perhaps I'll have to eat my words .
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 10:57 PM   #95
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The comments about the recent scarcity of the 5711 are very true. I have had three. Still have the third bought in 2012. All were very easy to get brand new. The second was a month wait from a NYC retailor. The third was just sitting in an US AD with the white dial model too, both unspoken for. When Thierry took over he slashed production for reasons known only to him as the lack of supply has "defined" the company. Nobody frankly gave a you know what when you could get one. The original launch was weak and the remade 5711 was also weak at first. But they have gone to great lengths to expand the Nautilus collection with all kinds of complication just like AP did with the RO. Figure that one out if you want to downplay the Nautilus. Bottom line is they make far more money on the complicated Nautiluses so they force the market to buy them by making the 5711 unavailable. As many have said here and elsewhere the 5711 is popular now mainly because of their unavailability.

In hindsight, I should have bought the white also. Oh well.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 11:20 PM   #96
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The comments about the recent scarcity of the 5711 are very true. I have had three. Still have the third bought in 2012. All were very easy to get brand new. The second was a month wait from a NYC retailor. The third was just sitting in an US AD with the white dial model too, both unspoken for. When Thierry took over he slashed production for reasons known only to him as the lack of supply has "defined" the company. Nobody frankly gave a you know what when you could get one. The original launch was weak and the remade 5711 was also weak at first. But they have gone to great lengths to expand the Nautilus collection with all kinds of complication just like AP did with the RO. Figure that one out if you want to downplay the Nautilus. Bottom line is they make far more money on the complicated Nautiluses so they force the market to buy them by making the 5711 unavailable. As many have said here and elsewhere the 5711 is popular now mainly because of their unavailability.

In hindsight, I should have bought the white also. Oh well.
Have they decreased production? Not my understanding.
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 11:58 PM   #97
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Have they decreased production? Not my understanding.
That is hard to say because Patek does not release current production numbers of new models. There are collector's books out there which list the older historical numbers. The only thing I notice is dealers who got them at least quarterly say now its every other year at best. The AD I got mine from did not get another until 2015 or so they said. Is that a decrease in production, I do not know. Perhaps they are just allocating the same annual total number over the years differently.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 12:40 AM   #98
KarlS
Banned

TS always said SS production would not exceed 20% of total production. This includes 24 so I guess as the added more models and or decreased total production the output for individual models would have lessened.
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 11:04 AM   #99
willski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
TS always said SS production would not exceed 20% of total production. This includes 24 so I guess as the added more models and or decreased total production the output for individual models would have lessened.

Interesting and makes sense. It'd be very interesting to know current and historical production numbers (but that's not going to happen anytime soon hah!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 04:52 PM   #100
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
That is hard to say because Patek does not release current production numbers of new models. There are collector's books out there which list the older historical numbers. The only thing I notice is dealers who got them at least quarterly say now its every other year at best. The AD I got mine from did not get another until 2015 or so they said. Is that a decrease in production, I do not know. Perhaps they are just allocating the same annual total number over the years differently.
I talked to a Ad they also said few years ago they get a lot more then now.
Example few years back they get 10 a yr now ..maybe 2 or 4 etc
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote