The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 2 July 2017, 06:05 AM   #31
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I sold my 5711 and I am glad I did. Don't really care how hard it is to get, it was just too plain for me. Replaced it with the 5712 Tiffany and have zero regrets. I personally prefer the 5711 is rose.
Old 2 July 2017, 07:11 AM   #32
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Thought the 5167 would have been a good Patek "beater" Karl?
It was for a while and if it was blue I would rethink....
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 07:45 AM   #33
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

I would never sell the rarer 5711 white dial (which has been much fewer years in regular production, besides being the most stunning watch ever). The blue looks great too but for a sizable profit I would consider selling it if you don't think you would regret doing so.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 09:33 AM   #34
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
As others have said, it really depends on what you bought the watch for in the first place. Sure, you can probably make a little profit off of it and if you don't really love the watch and want something else, then sell it. Otherwise, I wouldn't think the little profit you can get wouldn't be worth the benefit of being in a very exclusive group of blue Nautilus owners. We buy these watches to enjoy them, so enjoy it.
Old 2 July 2017, 01:31 PM   #35
mineral
"TRF" Member

Love my 5711 too despite I don't wear it often. and I would say keep it as it was a classic design Patek and will never go out dated.
Old 3 July 2017, 05:21 AM   #36
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Hah! For the that price it'd be out the door in the morning. But as others have stated the market is materially lower than that.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 05:51 AM   #37
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
If you plan to get out of it at some point, yeah, this seems to be a hot market. Can it get hotter? Maybe...but who knows? I sold mine within hours and didn't regret it...I just didn't love it enough for the amount of money I had in it, and put the money into other things that I did.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 12:45 PM   #38
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

Pics are worth a 1000 words when it comes to the 5711.

I have thought of selling/trading mine... but then I wear it and calmly slap myself in the back of the head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0290.JPG (70.5 KB, 377 views)
cwilson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 01:03 PM   #39
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
If you don't like it, it's a good time to sell it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 01:22 PM   #40
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Yes 100%
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 06:39 AM   #41
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
I have never seen a 5711 in the wild. Ever. In Manhattan, specifically, I see many Rolex (obviously), even alot of AP, and many Patek Calatrava and few Aquanauts. But never a 5711 Nautilus.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but allow me to share an anecdote... My office is in Soho and last Friday I took an extended lunch break and walked around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes getting some fresh air. I saw two 5711s - one in SS and the other in RG. No lie.

Clearly this isn't an everyday occurrence, but I see a Nautilus in the wild in Manhattan at least once a month. Maybe my office location, along with that of my girlfriend (midtown east) has something to do with that.

All this said, the grey market premiums are crazy and at some point I say to myself: that's just too much for a SS watch. Others will have their own "limits" of course.
Old 5 July 2017, 06:54 AM   #42
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but allow me to share an anecdote... My office is in Soho and last Friday I took an extended lunch break and walked around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes getting some fresh air. I saw two 5711s - one in SS and the other in RG. No lie.

Clearly this isn't an everyday occurrence, but I see a Nautilus in the wild in Manhattan at least once a month. Maybe my office location, along with that of my girlfriend (midtown east) has something to do with that.

All this said, the grey market premiums are crazy and at some point I say to myself: that's just too much for a SS watch. Others will have their own "limits" of course.

No offense taken, perhaps I'm not paying more attention to 5711s, but personally for me I haven't seen one in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 12:50 PM   #43
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
47k is bubble territory and I'd be happy to liquidate mine.
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 12:56 PM   #44
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
No offense taken, perhaps I'm not paying more attention to 5711s, but personally for me I haven't seen one in the wild.

In the last 3 months I have seen 1 and one 5712
Old 5 July 2017, 03:04 PM   #45
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
In the last 3 months I have seen 1 and one 5712
Was it in Odessa?
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 03:14 PM   #46
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Have never seen a 5711 in the wild here in hk
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 05:06 PM   #47
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

I have seen two.
One was being worn by the manager of a AD. And the other was on a customer who was attending a private function.
Old 5 July 2017, 08:22 PM   #48
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Was it in Odessa?
Ha ha....
Old 6 July 2017, 01:07 AM   #49
dmash
"TRF" Member

Yes, I think now, or in the next year is the time to sell (if you're not wearing it). At the end of the day it's a 3 handed, stainless sport watch. You can't push the price much farther, it just becomes stupid silly to spend that much for what you get.

35-40k for a 5711? That's a completely new ballpark of watches to me. Precious metals, chronos, calendars, etc etc.

and this is coming from somebody who has the 5711 in my top 3 favorite watches.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 11:56 AM   #50
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
I miss mine so I wouldn't

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 12:15 PM   #51
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
No offense taken, perhaps I'm not paying more attention to 5711s, but personally for me I haven't seen one in the wild
I think this depends on the company you keep. In FinTech, at an executive level, it's almost more rare to see no watch than it is to see Rolex, AP, PP, VC, Omega, etc.

At a certain industry convention I attend, I bet I could find a dozen Nautilus variants in 90 minutes of walking a trade show floor.

VC and PE guys are the same. Disproportionate number of watch collectors, or at least high end watch accumulators.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 12:19 PM   #52
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
I think this depends on the company you keep. In FinTech, at an executive level, it's almost more rare to see no watch than it is to see Rolex, AP, PP, VC, Omega, etc.

At a certain industry convention I attend, I bet I could find a dozen Nautilus variants in 90 minutes of walking a trade show floor.
True, I work in IT, so everyone wears a apple or smart watch. Not that coworkers can't afford Haute horology, most think it is a waste of money. Mechanical watches are going the way of the dinosaur. I used to go to watch G2Gs frequently and some have the highest level of watches, Grubel Forsey Tourbillion, MB&F, Voutilainen, Lange, Journe and the like. Ironically, I just tired of going, seeing same faces, same watches. It got old.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 10:27 PM   #53
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Was it in Odessa?
Haha, probably more chances to see some in Odessa Texas, though I did see a tourist wearing a 5980-1R in a club 2 years ago, apart that one never saw another
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 11:33 PM   #54
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
True, I work in IT, so everyone wears a apple or smart watch. Not that coworkers can't afford Haute horology, most think it is a waste of money. Mechanical watches are going the way of the dinosaur. I used to go to watch G2Gs frequently and some have the highest level of watches, Grubel Forsey Tourbillion, MB&F, Voutilainen, Lange, Journe and the like. Ironically, I just tired of going, seeing same faces, same watches. It got old.
I think your right that watches are going the way of the dinosaur. I always look at people to see if they are wearing watches. Less than half the people I see wear watches and many of those are wearable devices. I think the days are numbered for traditional mechanical/quartz watches. Young people do not see the point as they use their cellphones for the time. Others are embracing the smart watches. There is also the fact the under 60 people going forward simply do not care to or just do not have the money to spend on haute horology. The folks who do earn are really trying to save for their future security in very uncertain times of college loans, health care costs, higher and higher taxes of all types, you name it. Their attitude is clearly money can be put to much better uses.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 11:49 PM   #55
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I think your right that watches are going the way of the dinosaur. I always look at people to see if they are wearing watches. Less than half the people I see wear watches and many of those are wearable devices. I think the days are numbered for traditional mechanical/quartz watches. Young people do not see the point as they use their cellphones for the time. Others are embracing the smart watches. There is also the fact the under 60 people going forward simply do not care to or just do not have the money to spend on haute horology. The folks who do earn are really trying to save for their future security in very uncertain times of college loans, health care costs, higher and higher taxes of all types, you name it. Their attitude is clearly money can be put to much better uses.

NTM, many collectors I know are liquidating positions at this moment. The smart money knows when to sell at the top.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 11:52 PM   #56
KarlS
Banned

The watch debate has been going in circles for ages much as the quartz was the death of the mechanical watch industry it will adapt. if you are looking solely for a time piece use a phone. If you are buying a piece of mechanical marvel that is really the only piece if Jewellery a man can own...buy a watch
Old 6 July 2017, 11:55 PM   #57
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
The watch debate has been going in circles for ages much as the quartz was the death of the mechanical watch industry it will adapt. if you are looking solely for a time piece use a phone. If you are buying a piece of mechanical marvel that is really the only piece if Jewellery a man can own...buy a watch

I thought i would be the last generation to buy a watch until by son surprised me with this

Old 7 July 2017, 12:05 AM   #58
koz123
"TRF" Member

My 5711 not in perfect shape but if I could sell it for over 30k I would.
Old 7 July 2017, 12:17 AM   #59
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by koz123 View Post
My 5711 not in perfect shape but if I could sell it for over 30k I would.
If it's not in perfect shape and you can get over $20k....you should!!
Old 7 July 2017, 12:22 AM   #60
koz123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If it's not in perfect shape and you can get over $20k....you should!!
... this watch will be worth much more in years to come.