The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 February 2018, 06:46 AM   #1
PhilipJI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Grand Seiko UK prices, a rip off?

I've just been looking at some Grand Seiko watches. There seems to be a large difference in prices around the world. As an example I'll use the SBGX263. A UK dealer has it at £2,350.00. Looked at the Grand Seiko US site its, $2,200 (£1573) and in Japan its Y230,000 (£1540).

Why are we in the UK being asked to pay some much more?

PhilipJI
PhilipJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 06:54 AM   #2
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
Buy from Japan, no reason to pay the premium. Let the UK dealers complain to Seiko about their pricing.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 07:15 AM   #3
PhilipJI
"TRF" Member

For sure I wouldn't buy here in the UK, that's unless I got a third off list price and I can't see that happening.

PhilipJI
Old 26 February 2018, 10:31 AM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I saw a couple of 230,000-yen SBGX models selling for 184,000 yen in the Hiroshima branch of Bic Camera last month (brand new, full set with papers). Not sure if SBGX263, but that seem to be about the standard discount for shops like that.

I got my SBGT235 there for 202,500 yen, marked down from 270.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 07:27 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJI View Post
I've just been looking at some Grand Seiko watches. There seems to be a large difference in prices around the world. As an example I'll use the SBGX263. A UK dealer has it at £2,350.00. Looked at the Grand Seiko US site its, $2,200 (£1573) and in Japan its Y230,000 (£1540).

Why are we in the UK being asked to pay some much more?

PhilipJI
well the US prices are listed without tax as sales tax varies and are added to the price, not included already like the UK. Take the VAT out of the UK price and you have $2200 in the US and $2625 in the UK in USD.

Retail prices are pretty close, the difference is the tax which has nothing to do with Seiko.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 07:53 PM   #6
PhilipJI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I saw a couple of 230,000-yen SBGX models selling for 184,000 yen in the Hiroshima branch of Bic Camera last month (brand new, full set with papers). Not sure if SBGX263, but that seem to be about the standard discount for shops like that.

I got my SBGT235 there for 202,500 yen, marked down from 270.

Thats a big saving, I'll have to take a look at their website.
Old 26 February 2018, 07:54 PM   #7
PhilipJI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
well the US prices are listed without tax as sales tax varies and are added to the price, not included already like the UK. Take the VAT out of the UK price and you have $2200 in the US and $2625 in the UK in USD.

Retail prices are pretty close, the difference is the tax which has nothing to do with Seiko.
Thanks for telling me that, I didn't know the USA prices are listed without taxes. We live and learn.
Old 27 February 2018, 01:08 AM   #8
TG3N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As an example I'll use the SBGX263. A UK dealer has it at £2,350.00. Looked at the Grand Seiko US site its, $2,200 (£1573) and in Japan its Y230,000 (£1540).
Admittedly, it's totally useless info to you now, but 'Jura Watches' had a four-day sale last week, with the SBGX263 (and another black dial model I can't remember) reduced by 40% to £1,410. Brand new, full warranty, free delivery, free watch-winder as well. I only mention because it's perhaps worth keeping an eye on their website in future.

Alternatively, importing from Japan could save a few hundred pounds, even with being caught for VAT on delivery.

Also, if you're a member of any UK watch forums, Quartz GS fairly often come up for second-hand private sale between members, in and around £1,000 in price.

For example, there's a mint GS Spring-Drive 'Snowflake', Dec '17 model, for sale on the TZ UK Forum right now at a bargain price of £3.8k. Not the right time for me or I'd be all over it - one of the finest watches around, in my opinion.
TG3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 01:29 AM   #9
PhilipJI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG3N View Post
Admittedly, it's totally useless info to you now, but 'Jura Watches' had a four-day sale last week, with the SBGX263 (and another black dial model I can't remember) reduced by 40% to £1,410. Brand new, full warranty, free delivery, free watch-winder as well. I only mention because it's perhaps worth keeping an eye on their website in future.

Alternatively, importing from Japan could save a few hundred pounds, even with being caught for VAT on delivery.

Also, if you're a member of any UK watch forums, Quartz GS fairly often come up for second-hand private sale between members, in and around £1,000 in price.

For example, there's a mint GS Spring-Drive 'Snowflake', Dec '17 model, for sale on the TZ UK Forum right now at a bargain price of £3.8k. Not the right time for me or I'd be all over it - one of the finest watches around, in my opinion.
Thanks for the info. The sad thing from my point of view is it was the Jura Watches website I got the UK price from, I often look at their site so heaven knows how I missed the sale. I think it may be worth my while emailing them.

PhilipJI
Old 27 February 2018, 02:15 AM   #10
TG3N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. The sad thing from my point of view is it was the Jura Watches website I got the UK price from, I often look at their site so heaven knows how I missed the sale. I think it may be worth my while emailing them.

PhilipJI
I'm sure they'll have another sale soon, hopefully so

Yes, definitely ring them - they can be quite accommodating and might do you a good deal.

Plus, if you sign-up to their newsletter/mailing list, they'll send you a 10% off voucher code immediately.

Also, if you sell the free winder (or other gift of your choice) you can claw back a few pennies (though, I've heard of some not receiving their winder due to stock shortage, so don't bank on it).

Plus, if you buy via the 'Quidco' cash-back service, various cash-back rates apply (3% on sale items; 5% finance sales; 8% all other sales). It's calculated on the ex-VAT price, but even that is worth another £50 at very least back in your pocket (again though, best not to rely upon it, and it can take a couple of months to be paid over to you via the Quidco 'app').

Ways & means... Good luck
Old 27 February 2018, 02:38 AM   #11
PhilipJI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm sure they'll have another sale soon, hopefully so

Yes, definitely ring them - they can be quite accommodating and might do you a good deal.

Plus, if you sign-up to their newsletter/mailing list, they'll send you a 10% off voucher code immediately.

Also, if you sell the free winder (or other gift of your choice) you can claw back a few pennies (though, I've heard of some not receiving their winder due to stock shortage, so don't bank on it).

Plus, if you buy via the 'Quidco' cash-back service, various cash-back rates apply (3% on sale items; 5% finance sales; 8% all other sales). It's calculated on the ex-VAT price, but even that is worth another £50 at very least back in your pocket (again though, best not to rely upon it, and it can take a couple of months to be paid over to you via the Quidco 'app').

Ways & means... Good luck
I messaged them and it didn't take them long to phone me. It seems the sale ones were the old logo stock and have been sold now. Was offered 15% off what the had in stock plus a free gift, I said I wasn't interested in a free gift. Wasn't told what it was. I just said I'm only interested in saving money.

Anyway, I didn't buy as in no rush, and will keep an eye out for future sales.

I'll subscribe to their newsletter.

Thanks for pointing out they have sales.
Old 1 March 2018, 04:12 AM   #12
PhilipJI
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I joined the TZ UK Forum, to view Sales Corner you have to be registered as a member for 60 days or more.

But as I keep trying to tell myself, I'm in no rush.
Old 5 March 2018, 08:45 AM   #13
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I messaged them and it didn't take them long to phone me. It seems the sale ones were the old logo stock and have been sold now. Was offered 15% off what the had in stock plus a free gift, I said I wasn't interested in a free gift. Wasn't told what it was. I just said I'm only interested in saving money.

Anyway, I didn't buy as in no rush, and will keep an eye out for future sales.

I'll subscribe to their newsletter.

Thanks for pointing out they have sales.
Could I ask which GS were you offered 15% on? I was only offered 5% off the snowflake from Jura.
Takonwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 07:44 PM   #14
TG3N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I messaged them and it didn't take them long to phone me. It seems the sale ones were the old logo stock and have been sold now.
Hmmn...I think you got the wrong person there - it was definitely the new logo stock on sale (and that I received).

Quote:
I said I wasn't interested in a free gift. Wasn't told what it was. I just said I'm only interested in saving money.
To their credit, my free watch winder arrived at the same time as my watch. I'll probably sell it on. Also, they give you a £50 voucher if you upload a pic of your new watch to their website!

I have to say, I'm quite impressed by Jura.

Quote:
I joined the TZ UK Forum, to view Sales Corner you have to be registered as a member for 60 days or more.
Yes, some sort of imposed waiting period is normally the case on all Forums (stops people joining just to abuse the sales facility).

Regardless, I see from this morning's post that you've happily managed to pick-up a very nice Grand Seiko, so my advice hopefully helped somewhat - congratulations!
Old 11 March 2018, 09:40 PM   #15
PhilipJI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takonwong View Post
Could I ask which GS were you offered 15% on? I was only offered 5% off the snowflake from Jura.
It was the Blue dial Quartz.
Old 11 March 2018, 09:42 PM   #16
PhilipJI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hmmn...I think you got the wrong person there - it was definitely the new logo stock on sale (and that I received).

To their credit, my free watch winder arrived at the same time as my watch. I'll probably sell it on. Also, they give you a £50 voucher if you upload a pic of your new watch to their website!

I have to say, I'm quite impressed by Jura.

Yes, some sort of imposed waiting period is normally the case on all Forums (stops people joining just to abuse the sales facility).

Regardless, I see from this morning's post that you've happily managed to pick-up a very nice Grand Seiko, so my advice hopefully helped somewhat - congratulations!
Was that the post where my image wouldn't upload?. You've been very helpful thanks, love the new to me GS.
Old 11 March 2018, 10:04 PM   #17
TG3N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Was that the post where my image wouldn't upload?. You've been very helpful thanks, love the new to me GS.
Yes, that's the one - I was able to click on the link & view the image (sorry, I would have tried to help you by re-hosting the image for you, but I haven't worked out how to post pics over there yet, all a bit beyond me!!).

It's a really lovely example you picked up, congratulations. I was a fan before, but on the wrist they are simply amazing pieces. Glad you got sorted, enjoy
Old 11 March 2018, 11:37 PM   #18
PhilipJI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, that's the one - I was able to click on the link & view the image (sorry, I would have tried to help you by re-hosting the image for you, but I haven't worked out how to post pics over there yet, all a bit beyond me!!).

It's a really lovely example you picked up, congratulations. I was a fan before, but on the wrist they are simply amazing pieces. Glad you got sorted, enjoy
It got beyond me too, in the end I though I'd just delete the post, but can't find anything that says delete.