The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 13 March 2019, 11:37 PM   #1
Eddo_39
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Globemaster
Icon8 Watch returned, but no refund was ever made!

Here's my story about a bad experiense. A warning, and if possible an ask for help…

I bought a Rolex Oyster Perpetual ref. 114300 from a store in Texas called Diamond & Jewelery Gallery, through Chrono24. I paid $4700 which was reasonable. The watch came, but unfortunately I noticed that the case back and the lugs was worn down, as if a engraving had been grinded down without first removing the case back (my theory). I could clearly see that this wasn´t the same watch as pictured in the listing.

Needless to say, I was dissapointed and we agreed that I could return the watch for a refund. After paying additionaly hundreds of dollars for insured shipping, the watch landed at the sellers and was checked. All looked good and a refund was promised... But the refund never came…

I contacted Rene, the seller, who came with excuses for some time, postponing the refund time after time. After some months I asked Chrono24:s costumer service to step in to help me out, but they were met the same way. They recomended a police report the 'scare him into action'.

A police report was made, but the case was closed. A charge back case was made at my bank, but it bounced back. Chrono24 says that they can't send him an invoice to collect the money, since I didn't use the Trusted Checkout Service. They advised me to contact 'my attorney'.

The watch was returned about a year ago now, and I haven't recieved one cent! Nedless to say I'm am dissapointed and frustated over how easy it seems to be to get away with a crime like this! I don't know what to do. My wife left a negative review on facebook (since I don't have a profile) and now I'm writing on this forum. This needs to be heard! I am warning you about this seller/store. I am also crying for help! Maybe there is someone on this forum that has contact, or lives near this store that can 'help a brother out'?
Eddo_39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 01:00 AM   #2
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Looks like they are based in San Antonio
http://www.diamondjgallerysa.com

Have you tried calling the owner Rene Hirsch?

I'd recommend Small Claims Court. You can file the suit online. Filing doesn't cost much but hiring a local attorney to represent you will set you back a little which you may be able to recover.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 02:24 AM   #3
mschipa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS and TT DJ
That store's prices are outrageous. $7200 for a 2004 16233?
mschipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 02:40 AM   #4
mikester
"TRF" Member

That's horrible! Hope you get your money back OP.
mikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 03:03 AM   #5
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Why was the police report closed? Did the San Antonio police ever contact you for a statement? I have to wonder what evidence they found to support closing it.

Good luck, OP, unfortunately this is just another story in a long list of problems people have faced using Chrono24. The issue is likely complicated by the fact that you are in Sweden and the seller is almost half a world away....
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 10:15 AM   #6
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Watch returned, but no refund was ever made!

They have an impressive selection of Rolex in their brick and mortar store and do sell a lot (and yes their prices can be pretty silly). I’m surprised they are acting this way.

It sounds like small claims court is the answer, especially if you have written proof/correspondence supporting your claims.

I live about 2 hours from there but don’t make it up to SA very often, otherwise I’d be glad to help. I can probably find you a referral for a trustworthy local SA lawyer if that helps?

Edit to add: they advertise HEAVILY on Craigslist SA. If I were you, Id post an ad in for sale by owner clearly stating Rolex, their business name and contact info, and exactly how they scammed you. It should come up in a search of Rolex for sale in San Antonio and I bet they’d see it, along with their potential customers. That might get a response from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 10:27 AM   #7
Vamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
They have an impressive selection of Rolex in their brick and mortar store and do sell a lot (and yes their prices can be pretty silly). I’m surprised they are acting this way.

It sounds like small claims court is the answer, especially if you have written proof/correspondence supporting your claims.

I live about 2 hours from there but don’t make it up to SA very often, otherwise I’d be glad to help. I can probably find you a referral for a trustworthy local SA lawyer if that helps?

Edit to add: they advertise HEAVILY on Craigslist SA. If I were you, Id post an ad in for sale by owner clearly stating Rolex, their business name and contact info, and exactly how they scammed you. It should come up in a search of Rolex for sale in San Antonio and I bet they’d see it, along with their potential customers. That might get a response from them.

Yes I think that craigslist idea is a great one, and should definitely get a response!
Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 10:43 AM   #8
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Call them
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 11:51 AM   #9
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

+1

File the small claims suit. They have to respond. It might be enough to give them a kick in the backside to settle before it reaches court and you having to hire a lawyer. Also file complaint with the Better Business Bureau in SA (they have an A+ rating which I'm sure they would want to maintain). That can also yield results. I have every belief you will get what you're due one way or another. Don't give up.

https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/san-antoni...-0825-90093358
Old 14 March 2019, 03:30 PM   #10
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
+1

File the small claims suit. They have to respond. It might be enough to give them a kick in the backside to settle before it reaches court and you having to hire a lawyer. Also file complaint with the Better Business Bureau in SA (they have an A+ rating which I'm sure they would want to maintain). That can also yield results. I have every belief you will get what you're due one way or another. Don't give up.

https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/san-antoni...-0825-90093358

Excellent call on BBB. Attack them in social media, in BBB, and craigslist; you’ll get resolution without spending a dime. If all that fails, small claims court.

Old 14 March 2019, 03:53 PM   #11
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Op call the District Atty’s office - consumer affairs division. Tx has a deceptive trade practices act which provides for treble damages . Sorry this happened! Always use AMX for the future- you must have protected.
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 06:23 AM   #12
Eddo_39
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the quick and useful replies!

I will proceed as very well summed up by southtexas, Before moving on with legal procedures.

As for the questing by ashbaug2... The Police report was made at the Swedish police, after advisement from Chrono24 support. And since they don't have jurisdiction abroad they said there was not much they could do. However, I have appealed this decision.

Please continue with advise and other help, as I proceed to paint the reputation of this store black!
Old 15 March 2019, 09:28 AM   #13
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Have you called?
Old 15 March 2019, 02:35 PM   #14
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

A few thoughts..

Why did you wait a year? I wouldn’t have waited a month for my money back.

Filing a small claims case is your best bet. They’ll receive a summons and know that they’ll go into court and have to show that they either sent the money or didn’t receive the watch (or never agreed on a return). If you have an email showing that they agreed to refund the money, proof that they received and signed for the watch then you can’t lose and they’ll know it. I’d bet that they’d contact you immediately and apologize for the “oversight” and refund your money. I wouldn’t even hire an attorney. You have the docs and that’s all you’ll need. You can fly done to San Antonio if needed and claim the travel expenses in your suit. If they don’t show up you get the money via judgement anyway. If you have the documents showing they agreed to the return and received the watch I can’t see how they could counter that?

Not necessary but you could also ping Chrono24 and explain that trusted check out or not you cannot in confidence, recommend their service to any of your many watch buying friends and want to explain your experience to others online so they don’t end up in the same situation. I think they’ll get the message and perhaps make a phone call themselves to see if they can rectify the situation.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 02:55 PM   #15
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
You can fly done to San Antonio
From Sweden? I'd hire an attorney if it got to court before making that journey for a $4k watch. They'll settle before it gets to that point if the case is solid.
Old 16 March 2019, 11:50 PM   #16
Eddo_39
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have you called?
Actually, I haven't called. First of all, I can somewhat phrase my sentences in Writing after a long time thinking it over. But in speech, I've got nothing!
Second, I don't Think he will answer when he sees the incoming call from 'Sweden'.

However, there has been maany mails by me, and the Chrono24 costumer support, like I said. He knows about the case.
Old 16 March 2019, 11:53 PM   #17
Eddo_39
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Excellent call on BBB. Attack them in social media, in BBB, and craigslist; you’ll get resolution without spending a dime. If all that fails, small claims court.

I've done a Review and a Complaint to BBB
However, Craigslist site gives me a headache! I really don't know where to proceed.

Can someone please direct me through a link or by describing?
Old 17 March 2019, 05:04 AM   #18
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddo_39 View Post
I've done a Review and a Complaint to BBB
However, Craigslist site gives me a headache! I really don't know where to proceed.

Can someone please direct me through a link or by describing?
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/
Just use the "create a posting" link at the top left of the page.
Keep in mind your listing will likely get flagged/removed several times, so you will have to be diligent in re-posting it.

If you are going for the "carpet bomb" approach, you should probably include Yelp (where the already have a few bad reviews): https://www.yelp.com/biz/diamond-and...ry-san-antonio

Add in Google and Facebook reviews as well, if you haven't already.

Just keep in mind that if there was any chance of them working with you, submitting bad reviews will almost certainly eliminate that chance. Although, seeing as it's already been a year+, I'd say it's not much of a gamble.
If you are relentless, they may succumb to the pressure, but I really wouldn't expect any "results" from your efforts (other than being cathartic and potentially saving others from getting screwed over).

Even if you were local, small claims court would likely be a waste of time, unless you had irrefutable proof (emails/texts/etc.) that they acknowledged receiving the watch back and/or they acknowledged owing you a refund.
Otherwise they will just say they never got it back, or the box was empty when they received it, etc. etc. Also, even if you won, being awarded a judgement in your favor and actually collecting on that judgment are two separate things.

freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2019, 06:45 AM   #19
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Actually, I haven't called. First of all, I can somewhat phrase my sentences in Writing after a long time thinking it over. But in speech, I've got nothing!
Second, I don't Think he will answer when he sees the incoming call from 'Sweden'.

However, there has been maany mails by me, and the Chrono24 costumer support, like I said. He knows about the case.
It's been year and you haven't TRIED to call because you think they won't answer???

I have been in this store many times, Rene has been courteous and professional every time, CALL him.

What are the reasons for no refund?
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2019, 07:45 AM   #20
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

And who signed for the package? How was it shipped, Fedex, DHL, UPS or Postal service? There will be a copy of the proof of delivery and its not hard to find out the names of people working in the store.

I think carpet bombing various sites with bad reviews is counter productive. Initiate the small claims and continue with BBB AFTER you try to talk to Rene.
Old 18 March 2019, 10:59 AM   #21
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Watch returned, but no refund was ever made!

Quote:
And who signed for the package? How was it shipped, Fedex, DHL, UPS or Postal service? There will be a copy of the proof of delivery and its not hard to find out the names of people working in the store.

I think carpet bombing various sites with bad reviews is counter productive. Initiate the small claims and continue with BBB AFTER you try to talk to Rene.

He did say in earlier posts that the watch was returned to seller, seller confirmed receipt and inspected the watch, and then agreed to send a refund...which never came. Unless he has this in writing, he’s probably in a bad position.

Old 19 March 2019, 10:56 AM   #22
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

this is just terrible to hear. I guess you paid without any protection, like paypal or something, I don't know if a credit card would have protection in a case like this. I also gather they weren't endorsed here in the who's who of sellers on the forum? If in any way you took a chance, while this is horrible, well... you took a chance, putting your faith in human nature. It seems you have very little recourse now, but I'd try to call and speak with them rationally. At worst, they owe you a watch. A reminder though, you have to be careful, the onus, sorry to say, comes down to you... their site looks legitimate. Hard to stay in business with practices like that...
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 08:06 PM   #23
Eddo_39
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He did say in earlier posts that the watch was returned to seller, seller confirmed receipt and inspected the watch, and then agreed to send a refund...which never came. Unless he has this in writing, he’s probably in a bad position.

Yeah, thanks for making that clear. That's true. And I've got a mail conversation through Chrono24 with dates, confimations and a refund promised. Plus all the invoices, reciepts, and signed delivery note with an employes signature (shipped with FedEx). So, yeah! It's would make a pretty solid case if it goes to Court!

I have tried to call, and will continue to do so. No answers so far...

The reason not to refund someone asked. I Don't Know!
Old 20 March 2019, 02:32 AM   #24
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Edwin, shouldn't you update this thread? I heard that there was a resolution.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 02:58 AM   #25
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Old 20 March 2019, 07:58 PM   #26
Eddo_39
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The seller has promised me half of the money this week. However, this is the THIRD time he does this, and the third time I give him my bank information.
So, until I see any money on my account I have to consider these words as an empty promise.

I will of course update the thread when something concrete happens.
Old 20 March 2019, 09:56 PM   #27
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The seller has promised me half of the money this week. However, this is the THIRD time he does this, and the third time I give him my bank information.

So, until I see any money on my account I have to consider these words as an empty promise.

I will of course update the thread when something concrete happens.

When would you get the other half, assuming you do indeed get this first half?

Old 20 March 2019, 09:58 PM   #28
RW88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Sorry to hear. Keep pressing and document everything.
RW88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 10:59 PM   #29
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Seller is exhibiting passive aggressive behavior.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:09 AM   #30
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you in contact with the seller?