The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2019, 06:33 PM   #1
atique
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM, GMTII, DJ
Want to buy Pepsi or Batman or hulk

I have been trying to buy the above mentioned wTches from UAE or Ireland or Canada.
They were never in stock.
If I want to buy from a AD and and not pay premium, then what should be the modus operandi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
atique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 06:49 PM   #2
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Be prepared to spend five or six figures on other stuff.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 06:51 PM   #3
atique
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM, GMTII, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Be prepared to spend five or six figures on other stuff.
I don't mind the spend, but don't want to give extra then the original Rolex price
atique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 06:54 PM   #4
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atique View Post
I don't mind the spend, but don't want to give extra then the original Rolex price

Not sure I understand, but unless they know you very well or you spend a bunch of money there, they probably won't sell you any of what you're looking for. They don't throw it in for free if you buy 50k worth if other stuff; they let you buy one.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 06:55 PM   #5
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Buy a gold or platinum piece (you better hit the $100k usd mark) + diamond tennis bracelet for a significant other (big rocks) + kiss your AD reps shoes and they the just might get you a steel piece that you've requested...at that point buy all 3 that you listed:)

Seriously though, AD use Steel Rolex Sports, PP Aquanaut and Nautilus and any other hot watch to try to get you to buy more. There are some (very small population of people) on this forum that have paid their dues and get what they want at retail...that is not the norm.

OR...just pay the premium (12-13k for a hulk, 17k BLRO/BLNR). OR...just buy something else.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 06:56 PM   #6
leelian2022
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I am in Paris right now, I went to few AD and called almost all of the Rolex AD in Paris, it's totally out of stock.

The only GMT master ll i saw it was in Santorini last month, but that is everose gold.
leelian2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:00 PM   #7
errol0_7
"TRF" Member

Watch: them come and go
Yup everyone wants the hot models and are happy to pay the RRP sad thing is the amount of people who just want one to flip it to make cash

which is why AD's are how they are, my AD gets me on lists for these because they know I am a genuine fan and not looking to cash in.

my flipping has cost me money over the years not the other way around - now I see myself as more of a collector and will keep adding

Good luck finding an AD with the stock of a "hot" reference who is willing to sell as a one off purchase to a buyer they don't know when they have frequent customers who are loyal to them waiting for that same reference

my advice, shop around and start up a relationship with an AD

good luck
YM 40 126622 Rhodium
IWC Portugieser Automatic 40.4mm - Pink dial
errol0_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:08 PM   #8
CEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116505
Quote:
Originally Posted by errol0_7 View Post
Yup everyone wants the hot models and are happy to pay the RRP sad thing is the amount of people who just want one to flip it to make cash

which is why AD's are how they are, my AD gets me on lists for these because they know I am a genuine fan and not looking to cash in.

my flipping has cost me money over the years not the other way around - now I see myself as more of a collector and will keep adding

Good luck finding an AD with the stock of a "hot" reference who is willing to sell as a one off purchase to a buyer they don't know when they have frequent customers who are loyal to them waiting for that same reference

my advice, shop around and start up a relationship with an AD

good luck
X2.

You need to forma relationship which is not always easy (but do-able!).

CEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:13 PM   #9
watchmaker
TechXpert

Something to think about:

large city ADs have lots of existing customers that want the same watches - so you are at the bottom of a large pile.

Small town ADs will have relatively fewer existing customers so you are competing against fewer other people - but small town ADs receive less allocations of high demand models.

Pick your poison
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:14 PM   #10
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

The modus operandi should be either pay (well) above retail at a grey dealer or try and build a relationship with a dealer close to your home.

You won't be able to walk in to any store across the globe and expect to see these sat in the shelves. And even if they did have any in the safe, they won't be selling to somebody that isn't a local resident.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:31 PM   #11
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41, Datej
Cheapest method...... Go grey. The methodology of spending 50k to get 1 of the 3 pieces makes no sense. At a grey you might be able to spend 50k and get all 3.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Merkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:32 PM   #12
Oldwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk
I’ve built a good relationship with my AD over the last couple of years and they have produced the goods, both Hulk and (oyster) Batman this year but there was never any mention of buying something else in order to get these hot SS models. I’ve only ever bought what I wanted i.e. the above two plus Sub ND and Milgauss. I believe it’s the relationship that is important and the AD seeing you as a buyer not a flipper.
Oldwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:36 PM   #13
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwoods View Post
I’ve built a good relationship with my AD over the last couple of years and they have produced the goods, both Hulk and (oyster) Batman this year but there was never any mention of buying something else in order to get these hot SS models. I’ve only ever bought what I wanted i.e. the above two plus Sub ND and Milgauss. I believe it’s the relationship that is important and the AD seeing you as a buyer not a flipper.
Good point.

Old 21 May 2019, 07:39 PM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you want these models you have to prove you are not a flipper, best way for an AD is to make you overpay on other models or jewellery.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:46 PM   #15
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Something to think about:

large city ADs have lots of existing customers that want the same watches - so you are at the bottom of a large pile.

Small town ADs will have relatively fewer existing customers so you are competing against fewer other people - but small town ADs receive less allocations of high demand models.

Pick your poison
Great post. I left a large city high volume AD when my sales rep finally told me they would not be able to get me a Daytona. Just too many VIPs in front of me. Took him over two years to just break it to me, but I appreciated the honesty. So, time to start over in the relationship build.

I switched gears and went to a small town AD. Much cooler vibe, and they do not have as many mouths to feed. At the same time, they have very directly told me they received 4 Daytonas in all of 2018, and 2 BLROs since release. So not near as many mouths, but hardly any food to feed the mouths.

If you didn't establish a long term relationship with the right AD before this madness began, you are in for tough sledding no matter which way you go. I am trying to finally practice the patience game. Heh.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:41 PM   #16
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have been trying to buy the above mentioned wTches from UAE or Ireland or Canada.
If I want to buy from a AD and and not pay premium, then what should be the modus operandi

Do people really not read any of the posts on this forum? All sports models are hot right now and may continue to be in the future. The GMT Master II BLNR and BLRO and the Sub LV are three of the hottest models out there. You have virtually no chance of getting one from an AD unless you meet the criteria mentioned in the comments above.
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:53 PM   #17
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
I do as well OP, as do half the world population by the look of it!

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:57 PM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum

Luckily you live in an area with quite a few ADs within an hour or two of where you live. I suggest finding one you like and start visiting frequently to get to know them.

It will take some time to buy one of the more sought after references, but you might be surprised by the results if you employ some good old fashioned WISdom.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:01 PM   #19
HappyFish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to the forum

Luckily you live in an area with quite a few ADs within an hour or two of where you live. I suggest finding one you like and start visiting frequently to get to know them.

It will take some time to buy one of the more sought after references, but you might be surprised by the results if you employ some good old fashioned WISdom.

Best to visit the AD`s daily for a free Nespresso and a chat about the inflated prices and hatting the greys!
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:07 PM   #20
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

For what my 2 pence is worth........ Dont mention "investment" and "resale"......... Btw try mentioning brown envelopes......... From what I have heard it seems to work with some SAs at ADs...... Lol

Old 21 May 2019, 09:20 PM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFish View Post
Best to visit the AD`s daily for a free Nespresso and a chat about the inflated prices and hatting the greys!
Expressing genuine interest in wearing and owning is a great way to move things forward.

I’d also add, to the OP that you should zero in on one reference as opposed to asking if you can buy all of the above. IMO it lends a little more credibility to your genuine interest in owing one specific model as opposed to anything that’s popular. Again just my
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:56 PM   #22
blacksun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
want to buy Pepsi or Batman or hulk

You can be sure that all around the world every Rolex lover wants to buy them except Marvel’s Hulk , Shareholders of Pepsico Inc. Newyork and DC Comics “Real” batman ...

So be cool , you are not alone ...
blacksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 10:07 PM   #23
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post
For what my 2 pence is worth........ Dont mention "investment" and "resale"......... Btw try mentioning brown envelopes......... From what I have heard it seems to work with some SAs at ADs...... Lol

Compromising photos also help

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 10:10 PM   #24
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwoods View Post
That's exactly it.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 10:25 PM   #25
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

If you buy 2 pcs of Rolex Cellini , you would see your wanted SS appears right before your eyes. Lol

Homo Sapien X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:24 PM   #26
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules for each AD. They all do their own things and it really varies on how you can get a desirable stainless SS piece / and how long your have to wait.
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 12:36 AM   #27
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Maybe if you bundle with a Daytona and a Blue skydweller they will make a deal. Seriously, forget it. Just get a DJ, go Omega or grey.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 12:41 AM   #28
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post
Maybe if you bundle with a Daytona and a Blue skydweller they will make a deal. Seriously, forget it. Just get a DJ, go Omega or grey.
Offering to take a Rainbow Daytona off their hands (obviously with a discount because it’s PM) should do the trick
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 12:50 AM   #29
YYR
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You could get lucky at Royal de Versailles in Toronto, I think it’s on first come first serve basis, I walked in I saw someone walking away from the case with a submariner, and I was told half hour earlier someone walked out with a Batman that was in the case, this was probably like six months ago, I don’t know if they are still like that but if your willing to check their showcase every day you may get lucky
YYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 01:07 AM   #30
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
I switched gears and went to a small town AD. Much cooler vibe, and they do not have as many mouths to feed. At the same time, they have very directly told me they received 4 Daytonas in all of 2018, and 2 BLROs since release. So not near as many mouths, but hardly any food to feed the mouths.
Thank you for bringing this up, I heard the same from my favourite large town AD and others that Rolex shipped them less than 5 SS BLROs and others got around the same or even less. Rolex intentionally severely restricted the production of these watches to create an artificial hyper demand. Basically most of us will never get these watches at ADs simply paying MSRP.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote