The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2019, 01:22 PM   #1
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Going to an AD with the wife

TRFers,

My GV Z purchase might (hopefully) be moved to the left on my calendar. I was planning on waiting 'til next year, but I've got the money now, so I might be able to get it sooner!

I know that many of you correctly preach the necessity of getting your better half onboard with the purchase. With that being said, what's the consensus on bringing her (or him, no judgement, you do you) with you to the AD? I could really see it going either way for me. I feel like she might either get all starry-eyed & want something of her own, or balk at the price.

My Milgauss fund is completely separate of all finances for us. For the sake of this scenario, consider that everything (rent, food, bills) is covered for at least the next year if all of a sudden I stopped getting paid tomorrow.

TIA
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 01:47 PM   #2
Marc1310
"TRF" Member

I'd say if you want her opinion on how it looks, bring her. Otherwise don't. But the watch then have a nice drink and lunch.
Marc1310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 01:51 PM   #3
emt1581
"TRF" Member

I'm very glad I brought my wife with me a few weeks ago. I was dead set on the white dial with the black as a close 2nd. Didn't even consider the tacky blue or boring silver....but she pointed both out and damn it if they didn't look amazing on my wrist!!
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 02:56 PM   #4
Saint-Tropez
Banned

Bringing your wife is a great reason to purchase at least 2 watches!
Saint-Tropez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:00 PM   #5
bronzeband00
Banned

Expect her to always want something of her own. That way you'll have nothing to lose
bronzeband00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:00 PM   #6
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Your paying rent? In that case use the money towards a down payment on some real estate.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:00 PM   #7
PatronMTL
"TRF" Member

And Another “Is it safe” thread!?

No! It is not safe lol. Nothing good can come out of bringing your wife at moment of purchase.
Old 21 May 2019, 03:05 PM   #8
champ74
Banned

Don't bring the wife, except you want to buy one for her as well.
champ74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:24 PM   #9
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I value my wife's opinion and would definitely want her to visit the AD with me.
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:26 PM   #10
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Your paying rent? In that case use the money towards a down payment on some real estate.
:

well said ,
Halifax Daytona UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:31 PM   #11
Kh114060
"TRF" Member

Watch: $500 Tourbillon
Me taking my wife will most likely end up in my wife taking me somewhere i don't wanna go....
Kh114060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:54 PM   #12
Rocket launcher
Banned

You buying a watch is nothing to do with your wife ....
Would you get involved if she treated herself to a new brand new ironing board or a set of pans no.. you would just say that's a nice ironing board you have bought..bet that makes the ironing quicker or those are loverly pans bet they cost a small fortune... finishing with your so lucky to have married me as the other wives don't get such good essentials when it's not there birthday

She should do the same by saying that's a nice new watch dear.. bet that tells good time and it looks like it cost a small fortune..well done on your purchase.. to which you say yes ..thought I would treat myself as you got your ironing board and pans..
And by the way as it's your birthday next week I will get you a nice new iron or mixer to go with them..
At that point a little smile will appear on her face knowing she did well
marrying her dream man...or she may hit you with one of the pans...the biggest one
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 05:43 PM   #13
ashokleyland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060,PAM,DJ
One rule i learned in married life is to practice conjugal spending. Whenever there is a big spending incoming i will make sure that both of us are 100% agreed, if you are expecting she will have this starry eye it means something.
Old 21 May 2019, 07:20 PM   #14
youngfromNY
"TRF" Member

i bring my wife to look at watches.

considering she got me a panda daytona 116519 as a wedding gift and she agrees with me that something is "off" with the newer expl. ii 216570 - i value her opinion.

you can also tell how long a person is married by their response to this question...
youngfromNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:26 PM   #15
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Depending on how much knowledge you and your wife have of the watches, bringing her along is a consensus builder. My wife gives me great feedback on how watches look but has no knowledge on movements, collectability or how the watch fits into my collection. I typically leave her out unless I am spending cash. A trade is mine to make and the more information she has the more confused she typically becomes.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:29 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
My wife and I love to shop watches together. I also find it refreshing to hear what she thinks looks nice.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:33 PM   #17
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Sure, bring her. I always send/show the mrs a pic of what I’m liking or buying to get her take. Doesn’t necessarily mean I’ll change my mind, but good to get another perspective.
Old 21 May 2019, 09:40 PM   #18
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My wife is on board with all my purchases because she knows I dont go out of control. Also helps that I buy her the things she wants as well.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 10:06 PM   #19
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I always take my wife to the AD, even if only for window shopping. It helps to acclimate her

Mine is now on her 2nd rolex!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 10:55 PM   #20
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Take her. If she doesn’t know the price/situation prior, tell her at home so it does not catch her off guard at AD
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:22 PM   #21
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
TRFers,

My GV Z purchase might (hopefully) be moved to the left on my calendar. I was planning on waiting 'til next year, but I've got the money now, so I might be able to get it sooner!

I know that many of you correctly preach the necessity of getting your better half onboard with the purchase. With that being said, what's the consensus on bringing her (or him, no judgement, you do you) with you to the AD? I could really see it going either way for me. I feel like she might either get all starry-eyed & want something of her own, or balk at the price.

My Milgauss fund is completely separate of all finances for us. For the sake of this scenario, consider that everything (rent, food, bills) is covered for at least the next year if all of a sudden I stopped getting paid tomorrow.

TIA

Bring her if she cares to go. If she doesn't - up to you if you want to drag her along with you. My partner does not share the same passion for watches so anytime I drag her she gets bored. Haha same could be said for my feelings when we are somewhere and she is looking at cosmetics
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:26 PM   #22
24 nights
Banned

Watch: 43sd +Daytona's
My Rolex days will be over if my SO finds out what they cost
24 nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:37 PM   #23
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
My wife has been present and supportive for all of my Rolex purchases but she gets so bored and hates watch shopping with me, especially when we start hitting up multiple boutiques somewhere like Las Vegas or a Caribbean cruise port.
Old 21 May 2019, 11:44 PM   #24
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Better plan on bundle if you bring her
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:48 PM   #25
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all of your responses. I think I'm going to ask her if she'd like to go & go from there. I'm gonna say that the GV Z is in the $8k ballpark, which should be a safe bet, right?
Old 21 May 2019, 11:58 PM   #26
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Have you chatted with the AD to make sure the Milgauss is in stock? These are still not readily available at most ADs.
Old 22 May 2019, 12:03 AM   #27
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
Have you chatted with the AD to make sure the Milgauss is in stock? These are still not readily available at most ADs.
No, I have not. I'm currently near ORF, in the process of moving to SAN. I think there are 2 or 3 in the greater SD area, if not, I'll go to a TS.
Old 22 May 2019, 12:05 AM   #28
a_plus1234
"TRF" Member

Your mission is to go in there knowing exactly what you want and leave with it on your wrist. Be careful - sometimes the wifey can stray you in another direction.
a_plus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 12:06 AM   #29
ale70
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Rocket launcher;9655103]You buying a watch is nothing to do with your wife ....
Would you get involved if she treated herself to a new brand new ironing board or a set of pans no.. you would just say that's a nice ironing board you have bought..bet that makes the ironing quicker or those are loverly pans bet they cost a small fortune... finishing with your so lucky to have married me as the other wives don't get such good essentials when it's not there birthday

She should do the same by saying that's a nice new watch dear.. bet that tells good time and it looks like it cost a small fortune..well done on your purchase.. to which you say yes ..thought I would treat myself as you got your ironing board and pans..

A NOT MARRIED GUY, I GUESS......
Old 22 May 2019, 12:07 AM   #30
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
Would you get involved if she treated herself to a new brand new ironing board or a set of pans no
The 1950’s just called to say they’d like their sexist cliches back
emtee is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer , milgauss gv , purchase , spouse , wife