The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 May 2019, 10:56 PM   #1
mcroker4
"TRF" Member

Need Help - new 2019 DD or PP

I am new to the forum (officially) but I have been on here unofficially for years. I have about 35,000 to spend on a new watch to celebrate a financial milestone and I would like the opinion of those on here. Specifically I am looking a one of the new 2019 DD (either YG with green face or WG with white face). What are the opinions of the new DD in 2019, I haven't seen much on here about it - is it worth it?

Background: I am 32, own a few financial businesses, and I currently do not have a Rolex in my collection. I currently have a PAM 670 Panerai and a Tag Calibre 5 with a brown band for my day to day dress watch.

I continually hear good things about the PP (regardless of model) but I want something I can wear day to day and hand down to my son one day. Since it is going to be the largest watch purchase I've made to date, I would love opinions on what to look for / stay away from with the 2019 collection.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mcroker4; 21 May 2019 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: Clarification
mcroker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:09 PM   #2
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

I personally stay away from anything without a micro adjust on the fly. Easy link or glide lock. Once you have some with it, hard to go back. Have owned a few DD40's, and just couldn't ever get that perfect fit. Always just tolerable. Once you've used the above mentioned options, tolerable isn't good enough, to me. Sadly, that includes the DD's and PP's.
Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:11 PM   #3
mcroker4
"TRF" Member

Thanks a lot for the feedback!
Old 21 May 2019, 11:14 PM   #4
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I would buy a YG Submariner with glidelock
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:28 PM   #5
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

between those 2 options i'd probably pick a DD. it's a lot more durable and easy to wear daily whereas a PP is good in rotation since it's a bit more fragile. it really depends on how much you plan on wearing them, and as others mentioned the president bracelet fit can be a problem
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:42 PM   #6
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Wg olive fit me great and is stupendous
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:48 PM   #7
phez
"TRF" Member

Watch: PT DD40 Ice Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
I personally stay away from anything without a micro adjust on the fly. Easy link or glide lock. Once you have some with it, hard to go back. Have owned a few DD40's, and just couldn't ever get that perfect fit. Always just tolerable. Once you've used the above mentioned options, tolerable isn't good enough, to me. Sadly, that includes the DD's and PP's.
I have owned several DD40’s, YG with silver Roman’s dial, WD with blue Roman’s dial and now a PT with ice blue dial with Romans. Never had an issue with perfect fit of the President bracelet just needed to purchase a 1.25 large link.

I have other watches with both Easylink and Glidelock, all watches including the DD40 are a perfect fit.
Grand Seiko GMT blue dial and blue GMT hand
phez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:56 PM   #8
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Normally I would say go with the PP because they are in a class of their own but the DD is a beautiful and very comfortable watch. Far more durable as well so go with the DD.
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 12:00 AM   #9
mcroker4
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys very much! I really appreciate all the posts, I am certainly leaning to the DD. I have read a few things about the new 2019 DD and wasn't sure if it was specifically "worth" a pulled trigger this year, but perhaps waiting for next year or last years model. Not many amazing reviews on the new 2019 other than the new movement.
Old 22 May 2019, 12:01 AM   #10
shirtguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub-c Date
go with he dd40 its classic, wears well and its built to last
shirtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 12:03 AM   #11
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
I would say go PP with a aquanaut but you'll pay a big premium right now for what the watch really is. If you can pull off YG then go for it. I'm 37 and an owner in a few financial services as well and really cant justify wearing that much bling at work. On weekends I'm really casual so my RG AP skeleton just sits in the bank safe. WG or a little more for the PT would be my choice.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 12:06 AM   #12
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phez View Post
I have owned several DD40’s, YG with silver Roman’s dial, WD with blue Roman’s dial and now a PT with ice blue dial with Romans. Never had an issue with perfect fit of the President bracelet just needed to purchase a 1.25 large link.

I have other watches with both Easylink and Glidelock, all watches including the DD40 are a perfect fit.
i actually just ordered a 1.25 link as well. really hope it works out
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 12:08 AM   #13
mcroker4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
I would say go PP with a aquanaut but you'll pay a big premium right now for what the watch really is. If you can pull off YG then go for it. I'm 37 and an owner in a few financial services as well and really cant justify wearing that much bling at work. On weekends I'm really casual so my RG AP skeleton just sits in the bank safe. WG or a little more for the PT would be my choice.
Great point - that was definitely a worry of mine as well. I really appreciate the insights. Do you think the new 2019 DD is any better/worse than previous?
Old 22 May 2019, 12:13 AM   #14
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcroker4 View Post
Great point - that was definitely a worry of mine as well. I really appreciate the insights. Do you think the new 2019 DD is any better/worse than previous?
Other than the coronet between Swiss and Made at 6 o'clock, there is no difference between the 2019 model and earlier DD40.
Roleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 12:19 AM   #15
mcroker4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roleplay View Post
Other than the coronet between Swiss and Made at 6 o'clock, there is no difference between the 2019 model and earlier DD40.
Thank you very much for the help!
Old 22 May 2019, 12:42 AM   #16
phez
"TRF" Member

Watch: PT DD40 Ice Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i actually just ordered a 1.25 link as well. really hope it works out
I wear my 1.25 link on the 12 o’clock side next to the crown clasp, I have found that gives the perfect fit.
Grand Seiko GMT blue dial and blue GMT hand
phez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 12:47 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
For your budget, the DD40 is the best call, for PP you are only looking at a basic Aquanaut which is hard to justify for $30K plus now or a Calatrava.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 01:05 AM   #18
mcroker4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
For your budget, the DD40 is the best call, for PP you are only looking at a basic Aquanaut which is hard to justify for $30K plus now or a Calatrava.
Thank you very much for the advice. In your opinion - any thoughts against the YG with green face that just came out?
Old 22 May 2019, 01:10 AM   #19
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Thank you very much for the advice. In your opinion - any thoughts against the YG with green face that just came out?

I don’t know of a DD40 YG with green dial. Are you referring to the RG olive dial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 01:19 AM   #20
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

I have the RG DD 40 with the olive/green dial. Love it but its flashy. Only wear it at night with a suit. I would go WG DD or maybe an used DD on a strap and a Royal Oak. 35K should be enough to cover those 2.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 02:02 AM   #21
mcroker4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post
I have the RG DD 40 with the olive/green dial. Love it but its flashy. Only wear it at night with a suit. I would go WG DD or maybe an used DD on a strap and a Royal Oak. 35K should be enough to cover those 2.
Yeah it is tough to decide between used and another or new DD. I am leaning new just because it is something I plan to have forever and I don't care about the initial depreciation.
Old 22 May 2019, 03:04 AM   #22
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I'd go with the DD. Assuming you don't have a Patek AD relationship, with the available models you'd be looking at a 5146 or a calatrava in that price range but for me personally I prefer a bracelet watch as a daily.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 02:51 PM   #23
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

If you're just lounging with a watch and not swimming with it....either one would be fine and last you a lifetime. If you're going to get it wet consistently/submerged...definitely consider the Rolex as the superior choice with the oyster case. It will also take the daily dings and knocks better than Pateks. Another thing is a Rolex is far easier and quicker to service versus finding the right guy/sending it to Patek. This should all be considered when you're making a purchase like this.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 03:05 PM   #24
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah it is tough to decide between used and another or new DD. I am leaning new just because it is something I plan to have forever and I don't care about the initial depreciation.
You can buy one new from one of the trusted sellers here and save a good bit of $$$.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:17 AM   #25
mcroker4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
You can buy one new from one of the trusted sellers here and save a good bit of $$$.
Since I’m so new to the forum I wouldn’t know who is trusted and who isn’t and the whole process or I would definitely consider.
Old 24 May 2019, 10:18 AM   #26
mcroker4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
If you're just lounging with a watch and not swimming with it....either one would be fine and last you a lifetime. If you're going to get it wet consistently/submerged...definitely consider the Rolex as the superior choice with the oyster case. It will also take the daily dings and knocks better than Pateks. Another thing is a Rolex is far easier and quicker to service versus finding the right guy/sending it to Patek. This should all be considered when you're making a purchase like this.
Thanks so much
Old 24 May 2019, 01:25 PM   #27
usyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day-Date
YG DD.
imo
usyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:59 PM   #28
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I have had three Pateks (Aquanaut, World Time and Annual Calendar) and a number of Rolex watches, among others. While I love the Pateks for dress, I have found them not to be as sturdily made as a Rolex, especially when one wants to use it day to day including sports etc.

Each of mine went back for service much more often than I would have liked. Also, service was significantly more expensive than at a Rolex RSC. The places where I could get one fully serviced were pretty well limited to the Stern agency in New York City which does a great job but takes a long time to do it.

I currently have a Day Date DD 40, with olive dial, and it is a wonderful watch. It works very well for dress occasions but also in day to day active use. I couldn’t recommend a watch more highly.

All the best, Frank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:10 PM   #29
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Can't beat a DD40 for looks, durability and comfort. The WG version would be a great everyday watch. I’m a big Patek fan but with you’re budget, you get more bang for the buck with the DD. I have a DD40 and love it.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:26 PM   #30
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
I am going to gomagainst "The Flow".

I would choose a Patek EVERY time.

I have 2 DD's - One on a bracelet and one on a strap and 3 Patek's. All 3 PP's are on a bracelet.

I find my Aquanaut and my Nautilus to be perfectly tough enough for me. I wear them both happily on holiday swimming etc. They are just that bit more "Special".

As you are in the financials world it sounds like you don't live to wild and rough life so any patek will be perfectly fine on your wrist.

Parek also guarantee to repair your watch for ever. That really is for ever. I have just had a 70 year old non working Patek serviced by Patek and it came back working and looking like new. It also appreciated in value just a "Little" Around 100 times its value. Not bad ! Rolex's DD's hold their value quite well but as i said a Patek is just something else.

Look at any Patek advert. the phrase about the next generation really is true !

So my choice ... Patek Philippe for you.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote