The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 May 2019, 07:55 AM   #61
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
The books are a moral tale filled with unexpected twists. True villains can't win, and bad people that redeem themselves die nobly. The twists are that some good people die too, however almost no one is pure of heart with the exception of Jon.
Cersei will die, Jaime may kill her, I don't think Arya will do it. The Hound has redeemed himself but he will die. Jaime will die. I think Dany has to die, I don't see the dragons surviving.
I think a big twist could be Tyrion and Sansa ruling the kingdoms, there has always been a suggestion that Tyrion may be the love child of Tywin's wife and a Targaryen, I don't remember which one. That would give him a claim to the throne, and Sansa the queenship she dreamed of all her life.
Who knows, Martin still hasn't finished the books, though as an Exec Producer, HBO claims they are finishing the story to his ultimate plan.
It's been a great show. The books covered the first 5 seasons, if you've gone back to early seasons, they were excellent. The books are fantasy genius, I just wish he would finish the story.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 10:48 AM   #62
mfer
"TRF" Member

I loved it, but the cut-away scenes were poorly done. They’d cut away from someone COMPLETING overwhelmed and then come back to them later and they fought them all back. It was to much. Otherwise, great.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 07:53 PM   #63
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobber76 View Post
The books are a moral tale filled with unexpected twists. True villains can't win, and bad people that redeem themselves die nobly. The twists are that some good people die too, however almost no one is pure of heart with the exception of Jon.
Cersei will die, Jaime may kill her, I don't think Arya will do it. The Hound has redeemed himself but he will die. Jaime will die. I think Dany has to die, I don't see the dragons surviving.
I think a big twist could be Tyrion and Sansa ruling the kingdoms, there has always been a suggestion that Tyrion may be the love child of Tywin's wife and a Targaryen, I don't remember which one. That would give him a claim to the throne, and Sansa the queenship she dreamed of all her life.
Who knows, Martin still hasn't finished the books, though as an Exec Producer, HBO claims they are finishing the story to his ultimate plan.
It's been a great show. The books covered the first 5 seasons, if you've gone back to early seasons, they were excellent. The books are fantasy genius, I just wish he would finish the story.
There has to be some darkness somewhere at the end in a GRRM tale, and I half thought the NK would win out, but as that has gone, the next most likely is Jon. I think Dany will survive and most likely with Jon's child inside her, so look out for her becoming pregnant, a sign Jon will die.

I think the Hound might make it, I thought as part of SanSan he might die saving Sansa but that has not been touched on, only he and Arya, and she doesn't need anyone saving her, altho as she has served her purpose she may die now. Sansa survives.

Cersei makes most sense to be killed by Jaime to save Brienne or by Brienne to save Jaime. Also makes sense for both twins to die together.

Hope Tormund makes it, and if Jaime dies, maybe he and Brienne get it on.

If Tyrion sits the throne, hope Bronn is his Hand.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 12:21 AM   #64
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

The newer seasons compared to the older ones is like old Simpsons versus new. Not a whole lot of substance, logic, or depth in the writing and too much fan pandering. Especially this season so far. Sad to say visuals this episode didn't even deliver, obviously.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 02:50 AM   #65
Ken B
"TRF" Member

Watch: To many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
The newer seasons compared to the older ones is like old Simpsons versus new. Not a whole lot of substance, logic, or depth in the writing and too much fan pandering. Especially this season so far. Sad to say visuals this episode didn't even deliver, obviously.
They way I see it is they are spreading 2-3 shows of story over 7 and tossing in allot of BS to fill space... Like Peter Jackson was directing it. They took pages out of his two over played trilogies.
Tudor Black Bay Bronze 43mm
KRB Imaging and Photography
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 03:42 AM   #66
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
Agree completely. Very disappointed with last season and this one so far. Whole series has seemed rushed over the last season and a half.

And my God was that episode dark. I shouldn't have to be viewing in a pitch black room with a 70" plasma television to see the damn picture. I get that they wanted a dark feel, I get that it took place at night, but just ridiculous how dark it was. I turned out all the lights and could barely make it out. I was watching in standard def (no choice given where I was) which certainly didn't help.

Battle scenes is previous seasons were done much better. I'll give it another watch and see if my opinion changes, but not a happy camper at the moment
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 04:00 AM   #67
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Agree completely. Very disappointed with last season and this one so far. Whole series has seemed rushed over the last season and a half.

And my God was that episode dark. I shouldn't have to be viewing in a pitch black room with a 70" plasma television to see the damn picture. I get that they wanted a dark feel, I get that it took place at night, but just ridiculous how dark it was. I turned out all the lights and could barely make it out. I was watching in standard def (no choice given where I was) which certainly didn't help.

Battle scenes is previous seasons were done much better. I'll give it another watch and see if my opinion changes, but not a happy camper at the moment
completely agree, have watched it 3 times now to see if I missed anything and way to dark. I understand it's night time and supposed to have a dark feeling but not almost pitch black
RLX_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 04:13 AM   #68
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member

Personally thought all 3 episodes have been brilliant so far
chunkythebulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 10:08 AM   #69
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Episode 4 left a lot to be desired.

****SPOILERS*****

How does a dragon flying 100s (maybe 1000s) feet above the water not see a bunch of ships hiding behind a rock? How do they hit the dragon with perfect accuracy from a moving vessel pitching and yawing on the open seas?

I feel like D&D are really rushing this. Seven seasons of buildup for six final episodes tying everything up.

In my personal opinion, without the books to guide them, they are just guessing. If the books are ever released, I assume they will be much better than this final season.

Fingers crossed episodes 5 and 6 are better than what we have gotten so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 May 2019, 05:35 AM   #70
ricecooker713
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
Episode 4 left a lot to be desired.

****SPOILERS*****

How does a dragon flying 100s (maybe 1000s) feet above the water not see a bunch of ships hiding behind a rock? How do they hit the dragon with perfect accuracy from a moving vessel pitching and yawing on the open seas?

You want a scene that accurately reflects reality in a show with dragons and zombies?
ricecooker713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2019, 06:10 AM   #71
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricecooker713 View Post
You want a scene that accurately reflects reality in a show with dragons and zombies?
I'd like internal consistency. The dragons were supposed to be incredibly powerful with thick natural armor. Then one gets killed almost instantly by a giant crossbow. THEN she brings her last dragon to a negotiation with Cersei, where more crossbows were aimed at it...

It's hard for me to put myself in the characters' shoes when they do mind-bogglingly dumb things, like trying to negotiate Cersei's surrender. For nearly 10 years Cersei has been a sociopath hell-bent on power -- why even try?

I'll watch the rest of the episodes to see how the story plays out, but I don't think I'll ever rewatch GoT. the only show I've seen twice is the Sopranos. that show so was so well-imagined that every character seemed like he/she could be a real person.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2019, 06:34 AM   #72
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricecooker713 View Post
I just want the show, the book, D&D, and GRRM to all be on the same page or at least as close as possible.

Too lazy to cite the sources for you, but I have two points.

1) Somewhere in a book it was referenced that Scorpions do not really hurt the dragons unless the bolt goes through the eye. Earlier in the show, when Drogon was shot with by a Scorpion, Dany just reached down and pulled it out like no big deal.

2) GRRM made a remark stating that a dragon in the air was virtually untouchable and indestructible. Basically, only a dragon could kill another dragon.

I know what to much about this crap
Old 8 May 2019, 08:02 AM   #73
AP8ESQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
^^^

Agree with this. The difference between the depictions of dragons in the books (specifically Fire and Blood) versus the show is ridiculous. If Rhaegal is "full grown" as stated over and over in the show those bolts deflect off his scales. Only if the bolt went directly in the eye or mouth (while open) would it actually do significant or fatal damage.

The lack of ANY connection anymore to the substance of the books or the character's prior events in the show itself is annoying. It appears to just be a rush to the end at this point which really is too bad for the complex characters developed over seasons 1 to 6. 7 and 8 have thus far been a lost cause.
AP8ESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2019, 09:17 AM   #74
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Don't blame Dan and Dave for GRRM's massive shortcomings. GOT is now an independent TV show, GRRM killed the books a long time ago with his endless delays and meandering plots that we all know he has no idea how they can actually come to fruition, and thus in reality D and D have done a fantastic job to bring this all together, as just a pair of producers, and with no guidance but the bare bones of a plot from the great writer and this world's architect himself who is totally MIA.

D and D only made this to see the Red Wedding filmed, so every season since then has been a bonus, and this is probably all a chore now, but they continued on expecting as we all did that GRRM would at least have one more book out to help give them some substance but no GRRM has produced nothing and probably never will.
Old 8 May 2019, 11:23 AM   #75
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Don't blame Dan and Dave for GRRM's massive shortcomings. GOT is now an independent TV show, GRRM killed the books a long time ago with his endless delays and meandering plots that we all know he has no idea how they can actually come to fruition, and thus in reality D and D have done a fantastic job to bring this all together, as just a pair of producers, and with no guidance but the bare bones of a plot from the great writer and this world's architect himself who is totally MIA.

D and D only made this to see the Red Wedding filmed, so every season since then has been a bonus, and this is probably all a chore now, but they continued on expecting as we all did that GRRM would at least have one more book out to help give them some substance but no GRRM has produced nothing and probably never will.
Agree. Completely.

GRRM produced a few good books. Excellent really. But he completely lost his way. His books became no more than Days of Our Lives, in a mid-evil setting.

He has zero clue how to conclude the convoluted wandering story that once had so much potential. I think that’s obvious.

And he’s a dick. He’s rude and arrogant and treats his fan base as f they are not worthy. I gave up on him long ago. But I love the show. I think it’s magnificent. And if some episodes are not sufficient to the expectations they set, I’m okay with that. It’s still massively better than anything this genre has ever produced. It’s not even a competition.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2019, 08:57 PM   #76
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Agree. Completely.

GRRM produced a few good books. Excellent really. But he completely lost his way. His books became no more than Days of Our Lives, in a mid-evil setting.

He has zero clue how to conclude the convoluted wandering story that once had so much potential. I think that’s obvious.

And he’s a dick. He’s rude and arrogant and treats his fan base as f they are not worthy. I gave up on him long ago. But I love the show. I think it’s magnificent. And if some episodes are not sufficient to the expectations they set, I’m okay with that. It’s still massively better than anything this genre has ever produced. It’s not even a competition.
Yes, he is, or was, a great writer and world imaginer with a great ear for dialogue, and that was evident in the first four seasons which were very faithful to the source material, and which proved D and D and GRRM could all work wonderfully together if they all held up their ends of their specialities.

But then GRRM went awol, so blaming producers DD now for their writing is a bit like after 4 seasons of Kit as Jon we then lose him and cast GRRM as Jon Snow and then complain, not that Kit has just pissd off, but that GRRM isn't a great actor and looks like dogsh1t. Difference is there are lots of talented actors that can take each other's place, eg Iwan as Ramsey was a close second choice to play Jon, but there is and can only be one fantasy-world creator and writer.
Old 9 May 2019, 03:51 AM   #77
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
I loved it, but the cut-away scenes were poorly done. They’d cut away from someone COMPLETING overwhelmed and then come back to them later and they fought them all back. It was to much. Otherwise, great.
A horde of Dothraki couldn't last a minute, but Pod and one-armed Jaime made it through the battle.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2019, 04:03 AM   #78
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I'd like internal consistency. The dragons were supposed to be incredibly powerful with thick natural armor. Then one gets killed almost instantly by a giant crossbow. THEN she brings her last dragon to a negotiation with Cersei, where more crossbows were aimed at it...

It's hard for me to put myself in the characters' shoes when they do mind-bogglingly dumb things, like trying to negotiate Cersei's surrender. For nearly 10 years Cersei has been a sociopath hell-bent on power -- why even try?

I'll watch the rest of the episodes to see how the story plays out, but I don't think I'll ever rewatch GoT. the only show I've seen twice is the Sopranos. that show so was so well-imagined that every character seemed like he/she could be a real person.
Actually what the targeyon queen did trying to negotiate with cersi makes sense. She knew there was never a chance any surrender would occur, but she wanted the people, the commoners of the population to see their queen had rejected an opportunity to save a great many of their lives. Hopefully, that would support an uprising against Cersi from within her castle. It was a strategic move. As for bringing Drogon within range of the crossbows, maybe they were out of range? Or maybe the ceasefire was guarantee to be honored(?). Tryion our himself well within range of the archers but he was not killed, I am guessing because of the ceasefire or whatever you call it rules of war.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 12:32 AM   #79
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Loved Episode 5.

And just saw this article. A little example of the bag of tools that is GRRM.

Besides the fact that his latest (relative) books suck anyway.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/game...123800968.html

Old 15 May 2019, 01:11 AM   #80
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I don't think this show will be remembered well at all.

I've loved moments of these last episodes, but this season has been terrible. The anticipation of 7 seasons leading to this? Ugh.

Just about every character arc has ended terribly. I was wondering why there would be only 6 episodes this season and it's clear the writers and showrunners just didn't know what to do. That's why almost everything feels so forced and the pacing is awful.

To be fair, I was never the biggest fan, but I enjoyed it. Really liked the first few seasons and parts of the later ones. Season 8 is by far the worst season and one final episode isn't going to change that. So many stupid decisions. I don't understand how any professional writer could think this would be good.
Old 15 May 2019, 01:36 AM   #81
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Episode 5 was pretty good. We got Cleganebowl, so reddit was hyped!

I could type out several a long winded review, but I will just leave it alone.

Can't wait to see how it ends, but I also do not want it to end. Hopefully, the new prequel series will be good!
Old 15 May 2019, 01:37 AM   #82
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I don't think this show will be remembered well at all.

I've loved moments of these last episodes, but this season has been terrible. The anticipation of 7 seasons leading to this? Ugh.

Just about every character arc has ended terribly. I was wondering why there would be only 6 episodes this season and it's clear the writers and showrunners just didn't know what to do. That's why almost everything feels so forced and the pacing is awful.

To be fair, I was never the biggest fan, but I enjoyed it. Really liked the first few seasons and parts of the later ones. Season 8 is by far the worst season and one final episode isn't going to change that. So many stupid decisions. I don't understand how any professional writer could think this would be good.

great synopsis. i don't agree with it too much. but it makes a lot of sense.

i know this season is getting panned. but truly, i am loving it.

Old 15 May 2019, 01:38 AM   #83
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
Episode 5 was pretty good. We got Cleganebowl, so reddit was hyped!

I could type out several a long winded review, but I will just leave it alone.

Can't wait to see how it ends, but I also do not want it to end. Hopefully, the new prequel series will be good!
loved that.

here is my prediction.

after Jon Snow kills gray worm, he is going to kill Dany. Then he is going to be a hermit with ghost in the north.

Sansa will sit the throne and arya will be running the queens guard.

Old 15 May 2019, 01:43 AM   #84
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
great synopsis. i don't agree with it too much. but it makes a lot of sense.

i know this season is getting panned. but truly, i am loving it.
I'm enjoying parts of it for sure, but I don't like what they've decided to do at the end for pretty much every story and character thread.

A lot of people have taken issue with the major thing that happened in episode 5, but I don't have a problem with that.

At this point I want something ridiculous to happen at the end. I don't really care anymore.

The hound story was the best.
Old 15 May 2019, 02:29 AM   #85
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I'm enjoying parts of it for sure, but I don't like what they've decided to do at the end for pretty much every story and character thread.

A lot of people have taken issue with the major thing that happened in episode 5, but I don't have a problem with that.

At this point I want something ridiculous to happen at the end. I don't really care anymore.

The hound story was the best.
I think we all saw that coming. They’ve hinted at it for the characters entire story arc. They really needed a couple more episodes to do it a little more elegantly. It was too forced. I’m sure JRRM will get there as well, but in a much better way.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 02:32 AM   #86
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
I think we all saw that coming. They’ve hinted at it for the characters entire story arc. They really needed a couple more episodes to do it a little more elegantly. It was too forced. I’m sure JRRM will get there as well, but in a much better way.
Gendry and Aria on the throne at the end. Legitimized heir, linking the north and the south, what could go wrong? A blacksmith and an assassin on the throne. Probably better than what’s been there for the last few decades.

十人十色
Old 15 May 2019, 02:35 AM   #87
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
dude is 70. has not put out a book in 7 years.

unlikely.

Old 15 May 2019, 02:36 AM   #88
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
dude is 70. has not put out a book in 7 years.

unlikely.

He’s been busy. Hopefully writing?

十人十色
Old 15 May 2019, 02:41 AM   #89
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
He’s been busy. Hopefully writing?

Old 15 May 2019, 02:45 AM   #90
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Look, this is JMHO but this season blows chunks, it's total BS. All I wanted was a satisfying Cersei death to watch, didn't get it, just a little building collapse. Second desire was for a Sansa death, (no I'm not a misogynist, I just hate selfserving contrarians) her death still may happen but I doubt it now. I knew going in that we were getting screwed. As quasi satisfying as Little-Finger's death was last season, Varys played no part at all, given their previous 6 years of infighting and behind the back betrayals it just didn't fit. Then to kill Varys for telling secrets that weren't secret after all he's gotten away with and orchestrated completely rang hollow for me.

Whatever, I'll be watching next week but I'm no longer sad about the end, it's time for it to go. Not sure who's writing the prequels but thy had better be closer to GRRM then D&D!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GoT.jpg (39.0 KB, 52 views)
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote