The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 10 May 2019, 01:59 AM   #1
AndTylerToo
"TRF" Member

Omega Moonwatch Chrono Question

Hello! I just bought (five days ago) my first Speedmaster Professional from my local OB, really loving it. I do have a question on the chrono feature that I'm hoping folks here can weigh in on.

I seems that the hour sub-dial is arriving at the hour marker just a few minutes before the minute subdial is. I attached a picture below where I stopped the chrono after an hour. You can see the hour sub-dial is just slightly passed the hour marker. Am I being too harsh? My expectations too high?

When reset the chrono it appears that the hour sub-dial is centered but its not visible due to it being blocked by the bottom of the chrono seconds hand. When the chrono is started and the seconds hand his 15 seconds and you can see the hour sub-dial hand it is ever so slightly to the right of the 12 - not sure if thats because the chrono has started or there's something actually wrong with the watch.

Apologies if this is a bit confusing - happy to clarify as necessary.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (267.7 KB, 314 views)
AndTylerToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 04:35 AM   #2
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Your hour hand may be "wandering" a bit when the Chrono isn't in use. Wear the watch without the chrono feature engaged for a day or two and see if the hour marker stays put or moves clockwise ever so slightly. I've had to have mine adjusted before for this reason.

What you may be seeing is that it arrived at the hour marker early because it wasn't completely lined up when you started it. If this is the case, your OB can address the issue. You are not being too harsh. They should arrive in sync.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 04:53 AM   #3
AndTylerToo
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I brought it to the OB this morning and they acted like I was nuts and seemed confused as to what I was talking about. Shouldn’t they know about these watches than I do?
Old 10 May 2019, 05:17 AM   #4
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Does not sound right. My speedy pro does not behave that way.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 08:34 AM   #5
Matty22
"TRF" Member

Mines like this too. Only very slightly. Study pictures of the watch on google and Instagram seems very common the hour marker is slightly to right or left of 12 when Chrono is reset.
Matty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 11:54 AM   #6
AndTylerToo
"TRF" Member

Update: I brought the watch it to the OMEGA (swatchgroup) service center today and I spoke to a watchmaker. He wasn't concerned that the hour sub-dial want lining up right on the 12 but was somewhat concerned that it was reaching hour markers before the minutes. He said he's going to do a chrono test and observe it and service as necessary. I have not even had the watch for a week. Disappointing!
Old 11 May 2019, 04:02 PM   #7
Matty22
"TRF" Member

It’s only to do with the slight misalignment of the hour hand.
Old 11 May 2019, 04:13 PM   #8
Roziana
"TRF" Member

Classic Look! Like it. Wear the watch and see the classic look! You will be amazed!
Roziana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 05:51 PM   #9
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndTylerToo View Post
Update: I brought the watch it to the OMEGA (swatchgroup) service center today and I spoke to a watchmaker. He wasn't concerned that the hour sub-dial want lining up right on the 12 but was somewhat concerned that it was reaching hour markers before the minutes. He said he's going to do a chrono test and observe it and service as necessary. I have not even had the watch for a week. Disappointing!
Good move. I'm confident they'll handle the issue correctly. I once owned a Speedmaster Pro in which the chronograph hour hand appeared to reset to zero in perfect alignment, but then did not line up properly with the hour indices when the chronograph was running.

I can understand that you feel disappointed by this, and I hope the Service Center can resolve it to your satisfaction because the Speedmaster Pro is a real joy to own and wear. Love mine!

AEC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 02:48 AM   #10
Jonford
"TRF" Member

My hour subdial doesn’t line up with the 12 when it is reset, it lies just short. But then it is 10 years old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 09:55 AM   #11
Fermi_Paradox
"TRF" Member

I bought a Speedy Pro in March. I noticed the same issue with mine within the first few days. I brought it back to the AD and they gave me a new watch. They were a little surprised that I had noticed such a small detail however after inspecting the watch they agreed that it wasn't right and exchanged it on the spot. For the price you should expect it to function properly out of the box.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Fermi_Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 04:51 AM   #12
Matty22
"TRF" Member

If you understand how the Chrono works, the watch is functioning perfectly. The hour dial only tells you the full or half hour. In this instance, it shows 1 hour has past. If the needle was past the half way mark, the time would be somewhere between 1.5 and 2 hours and you need to look at the minute hand to find that out. That misalignment is just that. It does not impact on the reading in the slightest. BTW I went back to my OB and a new one just shipped had the same issue
Old 13 May 2019, 09:58 AM   #13
Fermi_Paradox
"TRF" Member

The problem I had with my watch is that when reset the hour sub-dial did not reset perfectly vertical. This resulted in a significant offset from its correct position such that after several hours it was reading ahead at what should have been the half and top of the hour.

Fermi_Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 05:48 AM   #14
Matty22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermi_Paradox View Post
The problem I had with my watch is that when reset the hour sub-dial did not reset perfectly vertical. This resulted in a significant offset from its correct position such that after several hours it was reading ahead at what should have been the half and top of the hour.

Odd mine is not perfectly vertical but I can read the hour hand no problem. Say on hour 4, it’s slightly just past 4, and minutes show 25, I know 4 hours and 25 mins has elapsed.

Tags
moonwatch; omega