The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 May 2019, 12:33 PM   #1
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Icon8 Why Are Some of You People Constantly Crying About Grey Prices 🤦*♂️

Let’s say for instance a certain seller has the last four (possibly) discontinued 116610LVc. Full sets, dated within the last few weeks, all bits and pieces included. He list just the first one at US 16,000. It sells in 1 day, then 5 days later they list the 2nd one at 16,900. That’s gone in 24 hours again. You get the picture by now I hope.

Why is this wrong, they are running a business, who wouldn’t do the same ? If you don’t wanna pay the price, fine, move on to something else and quit bitching. It’s sicking that you grown adults bitch and moan, but a lot of you go out and spend 100,000+ on cars, vacations houses and other toys etc.. it’s a freakin luxury item.

Not all of you complain but a lot do and with so much hatred it’s ridiculous. If you’re running your own business and you have a chance to sell a product at 75% margin for example, that everyone wants, are you not going to do it ! If you want to run a non profit go ahead, you’ll be loved but your lifestyle will suffer.

Someone will aways be happy to pay well above what the grey pays and do so happily. Take some blood pressure medicine and spend 200 on a Seiko instead.

This is directed to the cry babies. Maybe in the future these ROLEX watches will settle back down.
Old 21 May 2019, 12:36 PM   #2
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Tell us how you really feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 May 2019, 12:39 PM   #3
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
I don't understand why it matters one whit what a grey charges. It is not as if they control anywhere near a couple of percent of Rolex's production in any year.
Old 21 May 2019, 12:44 PM   #4
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Here’s my 116610LVc I bought at US 8050 in 2011 fresh out of the box

and since then a few Seiko and Tudors. I’m very happy

This was bought at 6900.00 and immediately sent to have a green date disk installed

Old 21 May 2019, 01:12 PM   #5
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

I don't think most people really have any problem with how much the greys charge per se. While of course most people would rather the greys were charging less for their pieces but it's more the issue of how AD's sell their stock to grey's therefore making it next to impossible to buy from a Rolex AD and forcing you to go grey if you want the piece. I think everyone understands the greys are there to make as much as they can.
Old 21 May 2019, 05:33 PM   #6
walds11
"TRF" Member

I’m with you, but I really get a kick out of reading those threads and all the drama that goes with it
Old 21 May 2019, 05:52 PM   #7
MinMay
Banned

yah, they cry about paying for it, but they're all jolly when they sell it for higher price lol....

Those are folks I have no desire to mingle with...
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 06:44 PM   #8
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Let’s say for instance a certain seller has the last four (possibly) discontinued 116610LVc. Full sets, dated within the last few weeks, all bits and pieces included. He list just the first one at US 16,000. It sells in 1 day, then 5 days later they list the 2nd one at 16,900. That’s gone in 24 hours again. You get the picture by now I hope.

Why is this wrong, they are running a business, who wouldn’t do the same ? If you don’t wanna pay the price, fine, move on to something else and quit bitching. It’s sicking that you grown adults bitch and moan, but a lot of you go out and spend 100,000+ on cars, vacations houses and other toys etc.. it’s a freakin luxury item.

Not all of you complain but a lot do and with so much hatred it’s ridiculous. If you’re running your own business and you have a chance to sell a product at 75% margin for example, that everyone wants, are you not going to do it ! If you want to run a non profit go ahead, you’ll be loved but your lifestyle will suffer.

Someone will aways be happy to pay well above what the grey pays and do so happily. Take some blood pressure medicine and spend 200 on a Seiko instead.

This is directed to the cry babies. Maybe in the future these ROLEX watches will settle back down.
Odd that you started a thread to complain about people complaining, that reads like a shill for your favorite TS. It's a bad vibe.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:05 PM   #9
atique
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM, GMTII, DJ
Quote:

Quite a poor and negative post.

this forum is more for people who are owners or would be owners or who want to buy a rolex.
I would love to have a rolex, not to keep checking the price in the market.

on the other hand I would not like to pay a premium for any watch may it be hulk or batman or pepsi.

I would rather not have it, then buying from a grey guy who is charging a premium,
I am not missing any of those watches or they are giving me stomach cramps.

grey guys keep the grey watches with you and earn some meagre profit for your bread and house rent.

i don't want to be part of that.
atique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:33 PM   #10
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Ive personally never once complained about grays.

In fact, I defend them in many threads. Heck, I just bought a silver snoopy omega. I’m grateful for the service they provide. And I don’t have one bit of a problem paying over for something I want. Clearly.

But I don’t love what’s happening in the watch world today. Not complaining about it though. Simply losing interest.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:48 PM   #11
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:

I hear a baby crying.

Oh, it’s Mark.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:14 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
"You People".

Nice.
Old 21 May 2019, 08:20 PM   #13
Brew
"TRF" Member

I save my "hatred" for the important stuff, like misplaced commas.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:25 PM   #14
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Business is business....boo hoo
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:35 PM   #15
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I save my "hatred" for the important stuff, like misplaced commas.
Yes!!!

Me too.

Old 21 May 2019, 08:42 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by old expat beast View Post
"you people".

Nice.
x2
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:48 PM   #17
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

In the end......... we are all fighting about luxury watches. LOL. Life is great!
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:50 PM   #18
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
In the end......... we are all fighting about luxury watches. LOL. Life is great!

Now that’s the spirit!!!

Old 21 May 2019, 08:53 PM   #19
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I get your point. At some point the market will shift and it will be interesting to see how many so called collectors will still be in the game. I look at it like the price is the price. Either pay up or move on, nothing personal.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:05 PM   #20
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
I think too many people bang the capitalism drum, if people pay then it’s fine etc etc

That doesn’t make it acceptable morally or ethically, I’m sure many would sell their grandmother if the premium was right!

(Now the mother in law is a different story )

It’s more acceptable in the watch world as they are unnecessary trinkets really but it happens with other more important resources.

Everything in life these days seems to revolve around money, wealth and greed!

Rant over.

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:44 PM   #21
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I feel that ADs should charge the going rate.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:49 PM   #22
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
To the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
This is a really interesting concept. It would dampen the market and take away any advantage greys have.
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 10:03 PM   #23
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post

That would likely finish the brand, there is no way they are a value proposition at the inflated prices.

Yes some will buy them and good luck to them but a SS Daytona at £18K retail? A Hulk at £13K retail?!

My humble opinion is that the brand would not sustain that pricing.

People stay interested because there is the ‘slight’ chance of getting a watch at retail for some.

Allowing a free for all with pricing would be a disaster to the brand.

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 10:13 PM   #24
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Icon2 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔👏👏👏👏👏🛑

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
"You People.” Fixed it for you

Nice.

If your going all grammar/punctuation police on me, have it. It’s funny how the grammar, spelling and punctuation police come out in force when a topic is unpopular. I can pull up at least 5 threads a day with misspellings and incorrect use of comas or periods. These kind of response Usually happen instead of having a mature dialogue and then the hate comes out. It’s a forum for Christ sakes, not a 5 credit English 253 class on non fiction writing.

I do like to where my watches though, even in a war zone or Paris. Difference is it’s not a big deal to me on here with grammar unless you’re just creating issues about a poster and have to retort. I’m shocked a mathematician didn’t question the 75% margin.

No names were mentioned on my end on either sellers or buyers

My point was made in my OP
No or on my end. Just a

Carry on
Old 21 May 2019, 10:15 PM   #25
Andad

Watch: A few.
Mark.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 10:15 PM   #26
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haven_seeker View Post
To the OP:

This is a really interesting concept. It would dampen the market and take away any advantage greys have.
I agree 100%. But I doubt they’ll happen soon.
Old 21 May 2019, 10:16 PM   #27
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Mark.
Hi Eddie, hope all is well !

Oh wait. You want me banned lol
Old 21 May 2019, 10:38 PM   #28
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If your going all grammar/punctuation police on me, have it. It’s funny how the grammar, spelling and punctuation police come out in force when a topic is unpopular. I can pull up at least 5 threads a day with misspellings and incorrect use of comas or periods. These kind of response Usually happen instead of having a mature dialogue and then the hate comes out. It’s a forum for Christ sakes, not a 5 credit English 253 class on non fiction writing.

I do like to where my watches though, even in a war zone or Paris. Difference is it’s not a big deal to me on here with grammar unless you’re just creating issues about a poster and have to retort. I’m shocked a mathematician didn’t question the 75% margin.

No or on my end. Just a

Carry on

that is interesting. i did not even realize someone was making a comment on grammar.

in fact, the comment i made agreeing with someone on a comma, i thought was made in jest based on seriousness of the topic. i had thought "you people" was referring to much more serious connotation from the past.

that said, do you genuinely believe this post would have promoted mature dialogue as you state above? or do you think it was to denigrate certain people?

Old 21 May 2019, 11:04 PM   #29
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:

No or on my end. Just a

Carry on
Cool it. I was quoting two words in your heading that displayed a superior attitude. Nothing to do with grammar.
Old 22 May 2019, 12:11 AM   #30
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
that is interesting. i did not even realize someone was making a comment on grammar.

in fact, the comment i made agreeing with someone on a comma, i thought was made in jest based on seriousness of the topic. i had thought "you people" was referring to much more serious connotation from the past.

that said, do you genuinely believe this post would have promoted mature dialogue as you state above? or do you think it was to denigrate certain people?
Speaking as a pedant, in the Queen's English you can put the period outside the quotation mark
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote