The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 July 2020, 05:03 AM   #31
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Perhaps I’m mistaken but doesn’t Rolex offer a vintage service out of Geneva... some sort of bespoke offering that specializes in vintage? I thought I read this here somewhere

I figured perhaps either of you might know...
As far as I know RSC's (at least here in mainland Europe) can still service a lot of vintage stuff, our workshop included.

Except for the really old stuff like bubblebacks, etc. Rolex Genève HQ has a restoration department for vintage. But they will try and restore the watch to factory spec. These are incredibly expensive restorations (think 15-30k depending on model, condition and parts availability).
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 05:49 AM   #32
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU-MOOSE View Post
I wish I had done more research on this topic.

In April Of 2020 I purchased a late 60’s 1675 GMT Pepsi from an estate. I brought it to my local AD for service when they reopened in May(COVID). I had a very extensive conversation with them about keeping all visible parts original. I wanted the “mechanics” and water seals checked.

They contact me and tell me it has to go to Switzerland. I say OK. I’m thinking that’s good. WRONG!!!!!

They contact me July 3rd and give me the repair estimate that includes replacing EVERYTHING visible. Dial, all hands, bezel, crown and repair the mechanics. I tell my AD I don’t won’t ANY of those items replaced as we previously discussed(now I’m upset) and they tell me that Rolex has told them it’s all or none. Now I’m pissed. I told them that I want my watch back untouched.

I am currently waiting for its return. You cannot believe how frustrated I am.

I’ll need some advice on what to do with it now.

This is nonsense. Ask to communicate directly with Rolex Geneva.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 06:10 AM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
As far as I know RSC's (at least here in mainland Europe) can still service a lot of vintage stuff, our workshop included.

Except for the really old stuff like bubblebacks, etc. Rolex Genève HQ has a restoration department for vintage. But they will try and restore the watch to factory spec. These are incredibly expensive restorations (think 15-30k depending on model, condition and parts availability).
Thanks Bas, great info as usual.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 06:12 AM   #34
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Vintage Rolex owners petition.

In US, the RSCs have been funneling some older vintage models to Lititz. That’s where inventory and experienced hands can focus on time intensive restoration processes.

Newbies here will learn from Larry’s post that many indie options exist - take your time finding the right hands to work on your vintage models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 09:02 AM   #35
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Vintage DD'S
Quote:
I wish I had done more research on this topic.

In April Of 2020 I purchased a late 60’s 1675 GMT Pepsi from an estate. I brought it to my local AD for service when they reopened in May(COVID). I had a very extensive conversation with them about keeping all visible parts original. I wanted the “mechanics” and water seals checked.

They contact me and tell me it has to go to Switzerland. I say OK. I’m thinking that’s good. WRONG!!!!!

They contact me July 3rd and give me the repair estimate that includes replacing EVERYTHING visible. Dial, all hands, bezel, crown and repair the mechanics. I tell my AD I don’t won’t ANY of those items replaced as we previously discussed(now I’m upset) and they tell me that Rolex has told them it’s all or none. Now I’m pissed. I told them that I want my watch back untouched.

I am currently waiting for its return. You cannot believe how frustrated I am.

I’ll need some advice on what to do with it now.
That's just WRONG, the AD should be able to tell you on the spot what can and can't be done at there store, and what will happen at the RSC.

Sorry to hear that happen to you. Chris
carwashchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 10:44 AM   #36
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They contact me July 3rd and give me the repair estimate that includes replacing EVERYTHING visible. Dial, all hands, bezel, crown and repair the mechanics. I tell my AD I don’t won’t ANY of those items replaced as we previously discussed(now I’m upset) and they tell me that Rolex has told them it’s all or none.
I was told all or none, too, directly by the RSC, on three watches that were all in decent condition. I just wanted a movement service, but they insisted on changing everything. I chose not to go ahead with it, of course.

Just go with a sypathetic independent.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 07:29 PM   #37
watchmaker
TechXpert

A key point to raise is the difference between ‘restoration’ and ‘conservation’ work.

Rolex SA offer the former (albeit with some sympathetic discretion towards certain pieces).

What most vintage collectors want is a good conservation watchmaker. Someone who will ‘keep a watch going’ while changing nothing/the bare minimum.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote