The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 July 2020, 11:03 AM   #1
Jake85
"TRF" Member

Adding to Collection - Advice?

Hi Everyone,

I am currently debating which of the following watches to add to my collection next. Advice from current/former owners of these watches as to durability would be appreciated. I want to be able to wear and enjoy the watch at least occasionally/weekly (without concern for losing a piece of lume) so some durability/wearability is important to me....

-late model 1016
-matte dial 16750

Thanks for your help!
Jake85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 11:11 AM   #2
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
I appreciate your interest in vintage pieces, but how can you not have a desire for one over others? They’re such unique pieces. How can complete strangers’ opinions influence what you want to spend a lot of money on? If you don’t KNOW what vintage piece speaks to you, or inspires you, then wait till it happens naturally. To ask others...I don’t get it.

Sorry, if that was blunt. Meant no offense.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 11:36 AM   #3
Jake85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
I appreciate your interest in vintage pieces, but how can you not have a desire for one over others? They’re such unique pieces. How can complete strangers’ opinions influence what you want to spend a lot of money on? If you don’t KNOW what vintage piece speaks to you, or inspires you, then wait till it happens naturally. To ask others...I don’t get it.

Sorry, if that was blunt. Meant no offense.
Perhaps my question was not worded clearly enough. They all speak to me but I am leaning towards a 16520 between the three. I am looking for advice as to durability (from current/former owners) as i am looking for something I can wear and enjoy not keep in a safe.
Old 1 July 2020, 11:46 AM   #4
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
They were all designed to be durable. And I get what you mean. You find one in great shape that hasn’t endured any distress or compromising, and it will be good to go. The 1016 is probably the least robust, and smallest, but they look amazing.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 01:54 PM   #5
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
In real life, none is really more "durable" than the other as far as longevity, toughness, accuracy, etc.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 08:19 PM   #6
Jake85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
In real life, none is really more "durable" than the other as far as longevity, toughness, accuracy, etc.
Thanks for answering as opposed to criticizing the question!
Old 1 July 2020, 02:13 PM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Obviously, members of the vintage forum know that all three can be perfectly fine daily wear watches as long as they are maintained properly, and that the OP's question really makes no sense. My guess is that the OP may not be so familiar with vintage watches. Perhaps it would be better for him to buy a less expensive but still collectible vintage watch (e.g. a nice Seiko diver) and wear it for a while, so he can get some vintage watch experience in the context of a smaller investment.
Old 2 July 2020, 03:19 AM   #8
athom
"TRF" Member

all 3 can be daily watches, no problem technical problem for any...then it becomes subjective...if you don't have any preference maybe none then...or if it's not done yet, go to dealers in order to try them...