The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 June 2020, 11:55 PM   #1
Jgreenfield
"TRF" Member

Relative Collectibility of 6265 sigma dial with no red "Daytona"

Hi all! Had a question for more seasoned Daytona collectors on the forum -

All else being equal, how does a earlier (mid-70s) sigma dial 6265 with no "Daytona" written on it compare to a big red dial in value? A sense of what % discount (or increase) you would apply as a collector would be hugely helpful and appreciated!

I'm aware of the collectability / value gap between a "Big red" and a "small Red" service dial on 6263 and 6265 Daytonas.

Was wondering where the earlier 6265 Sigma Dials with no "Daytona" written on the dial stand in the pantheon of Daytona collecting...

(Attached photo below for an example of what I mean)

Considering making that watch my next purchase as I like the clean aesthetic of the dial with no Daytona written on it, but curious about how I should think about pricing relative to a similarly conditioned big red.

Would greatly appreciate any insight into this, as I've done extensive searching (looking at auction records etc.) and haven't found much data / or opinions on the no-Daytona models, have no sense of whether they are even more special or if that is a less desirable model!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6265 Sigma Dial.jpg (265.1 KB, 288 views)
Jgreenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 02:41 AM   #2
1watch
"TRF" Member

Specific valuations aren't allowed on the site. I would suggest checking numerous for sale postings to get a feel for the value difference. Sigma dial are very nice and any 4 series Daytona is collectible.
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 05:21 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
sigma dials are useful for determining era of production for the dial.

If it doesn't say "Daytona", it isn't one, it's a Cosmograph, but they are still very collectible.
Old 30 June 2020, 08:36 PM   #4
Jgreenfield
"TRF" Member

Many thanks for the replies! And thank you for clarifying the policy around specific valuations 1Watch, my apologies I wasn’t aware and will be mindful of that going forward!

One quick question - are Sigma dials exclusively indicative of white gold indices or do some non-sigma dial 6263/6265 Cosmographs / Daytonas feature white gold indices?

I ask primarily because it is difficult for me to actually tell the difference between the white gold indices (on sigma dial Daytona’s) and the presumably stainless indices on non-sigma dial 6263/6265 Daytona dials...it’s as if the stainless and the white gold age very similarly, but I may just not be a savvy / acute enough collector.

Would love to know from the experts on here, very curious about this point.
Old 30 June 2020, 09:54 PM   #5
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
sigma dials are useful for determining era of production for the dial.

If it doesn't say "Daytona", it isn't one, it's a Cosmograph, but they are still very collectible.
It is for sure a Daytona. :)

Normal sigmas don’t carry a premium. So good value compared with some others.
Old 1 July 2020, 04:56 AM   #6
Jgreenfield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgreenfield View Post
Many thanks for the replies! And thank you for clarifying the policy around specific valuations 1Watch, my apologies I wasn’t aware and will be mindful of that going forward!

One quick question - are Sigma dials exclusively indicative of white gold indices or do some non-sigma dial 6263/6265 Cosmographs / Daytonas feature white gold indices?

I ask primarily because it is difficult for me to actually tell the difference between the white gold indices (on sigma dial Daytona’s) and the presumably stainless indices on non-sigma dial 6263/6265 Daytona dials...it’s as if the stainless and the white gold age very similarly, but I may just not be a savvy / acute enough collector.

Would love to know from the experts on here, very curious about this point.
Also a follow up if I may - does the sigma dial denote that the hands are also solid white gold or just the hour indices? How about the Rolex logo? Purely curious.

Many thanks! 🙏